Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
DQ11 made me cry a couple times its a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

0 Steel Garrote dialogue options doing the Steel Garrote quest :thunk:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

It's good so far, only annoyance is chants cones being hard to aim sometime. And then planning to pick up https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Magran%27s_Favor & https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Magran%27s_Blessing and become a fiery god of death. :black101:

I assume all bashing shields work like Tuotilo's Palm in that you get bonuses from both dual wield and sword/shield style, and double the full attacks on Flames of Devotion.

I think I ran a rotation of chants but really a lot of people just throw on the heal chant and run only that.

If you're intent on using that shield and axe, then you might want to consider using the Dragon Thrashed chant eventually, or the one that gives plus fire damage. I'm not sure if either benefit from those items, but I assume they do. I didn't use Dragon Thrashed in my playthrough and I think it has been toned down compared to what it was in Poe1 but I imagine it's still solid enough as an offensive option.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Does the Unity console mod require updating to the most recent patch?

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

frajaq posted:

0 Steel Garrote dialogue options doing the Steel Garrote quest :thunk:

That's the problem with having everything voice acted, not exactly easy to go back and add new dialogue options that would require recording entirely new lines

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Deadfire is PC Gamer RPG of the year: https://www.pcgamer.com/best-rpg-2018-pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire/#comment-jump

I hope this bodes well for POE3!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Ravenfood posted:

Does the Unity console mod require updating to the most recent patch?

I wasn’t able to get it working with my brief attempts. Hasn’t been updated since 2.0 or so it appears. There was a 3.0 patch solution posted on the nexus thread for the unity add on, but no recent activity on it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

jerman999 posted:

Deadfire is PC Gamer RPG of the year: https://www.pcgamer.com/best-rpg-2018-pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire/#comment-jump

I hope this bodes well for POE3!

Apparently it sold way, way worse than PoE1 so who knows, especially with Microsoft looming.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Increasingly I think Microsoft might be down with the kind of budget/game that PoE3 (or just a game of a different type set in the same world) could be. In theory something like Gamepass should allow them to have these side projects that still get a decent budget so long as the Halos and Gears games are around to keep up subscription numbers.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If MS supported POE3 with a solid marketing campaign I’d expect it to seek very well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ilitarist posted:

Please direct me to some good ones. I have Alvora Tactics (but I think it's western-made tactics with a little focus on story) in my short list as well as Tales of Berseria.

Buy Persona 5-PS3, rip the disc, and play it on rpcs3 :v:

Your Parents posted:

Isn't it also a western rpg made in jrpg style like shadow madness or anachronox, two other lovely games

Nope, im setsuna is a Japanese game. But it was made by--you have to understand some of the backstory. Basically, Square Enix finally realized that Nomura is a dinosaur and kind of a fuckup if they ask him to work on anything but Kingdom Hearts, and they realized that almost all their other oldguard directors are also either dinosaurs or fuckups*. So they're trying this thing where they grab a bunch of younger, more with-it devs and slap them together into a team and tell them to make a game in the hopes that this will develop their skills as directors and producers.

The problem is, they aren't really good at directing or producing; afaik most of their previous credits are strictly as grunt developers, so they do what they know best, which is, making games that they previously worked on plus whatever their bosses told them to do ("we're going to be marketing ~I Am Setsuna~ as a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger, so make something that reminds people of it in some way").

Clearly, this was a huge mistake.

They tried the same thing again with Octopath more recently, and I think that was more well-received, but they still fumbled it hard because I'm not really sure these developers know how to think critically or come up with things for themselves because they've never done that before even once in their lives.

*except for akitoshi kawazu

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 18, 2018

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Deadfire sold worse than PoE 1 but it’s not as bad as the 100k copies people were estimating from fig returns or whatever. I’d put my money on there being a PoE 3.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chaosapiant posted:

If MS supported POE3 with a solid marketing campaign I’d expect it to seek very well.

Yeah, I think what happened is that the kickstarter push and "story" of PoE's publication got them a lot of free marketing and Fig/"sequel isn't news" fatigue hit and caused sales of the second to drop off due to lack of marketing.

I also think they really need to punch up the graphics in the character creation dramatically.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
also a lot of the kinds of people who buy a sequel are the kinds of people who try to play a game through to the end and the last part of PoE I (until the very final part) is, without a doubt, the worst part of the game bar none. I know a few people who have stalled out exactly at the entrance to the third town and are waiting on buying the sequel until they grit their teeth and push through.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
i played the game to completion on launch and im like 20 hours in again now that forgotten sanctum is out and this game is 1000x better now that all the companion mechanics and poe1 history stuff works correctly.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
also the new classes kick rear end. i am an arcane archer/debonair who sits in the backline shooting guns next to aloth and its incredible.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Making Deadfire such a direct sequel I think makes it a harder sell automatically to many people. PoE3 could theoretically be moved far enough forward to still be a sequel, but not one that’s following all the same characters and choices, which seems like a more marketable product.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anno posted:

Making Deadfire such a direct sequel I think makes it a harder sell automatically to many people. PoE3 could theoretically be moved far enough forward to still be a sequel, but not one that’s following all the same characters and choices, which seems like a more marketable product.

I'm actually hoping for a direct sequel that will take our Watcher forward. I think the end state of POE3 is either to reach divinity itself, or tear it down. And our character has been uniquely placed to do just that. That's what I loved about the BG series, was taking a character from insignificant childhood all the way to potentially achieving godhood.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

The White Dragon posted:

Basically, Square Enix finally realized that Nomura is a dinosaur and kind of a fuckup if they ask him to work on anything but Kingdom Hearts, and they realized that almost all their other oldguard directors are also either dinosaurs or fuckups*

Hey what about-

quote:

:hfive: That's disappointing to hear about Octopath though, I only caught the initial positive reactions but not the sober critiques afterwards.

Starks posted:

Deadfire sold worse than PoE 1 but it’s not as bad as the 100k copies people were estimating from fig returns or whatever. I’d put my money on there being a PoE 3.

I wish I was that confident. I'd guess that there's more Pillars at some point, but probably not RTwP or direct sequels so they might appeal to a broader audience (or the core audience who bounced off 1/2 and don't want to skip the middle chapters of the story they were likely there to see in the first place).

I'm slowly working my way through the game from the start now, and I'm starting to think having Galawain's challenge on is a bad idea if I'm also going to stubbornly refuse to skip the digsite fights. What kind of characters do people usually hire for that, Druids and Ciphers for charm spells? Also, is there a listing somewhere in-game of what all the modifiers for Galawain's challenge actually do?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Your Parents posted:

anachronox, lovely
But that's wrong.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Anachronox might well have been good but the combat was so prevalent and so loving boring I bounced right off of it

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

andrew smash posted:

Anachronox might well have been good but the combat was so prevalent and so loving boring I bounced right off of it

You're missing out on some of the best (and most hilarious) writing ever.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Maybe, but writing takes a backseat to gameplay for me when I'm playing video games. I love games with good writing when they have a good or even just tolerable game attached but sandwich good writing between layers of poo poo gameplay and I'm out. I get a different kind of enjoyment out of good writing by itself and if that's what I'm after I prefer to just read. Conversely I'll tolerate some really dumb writing if the game it comes with is good (to a point).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Your Parents posted:

also the new classes kick rear end. i am an arcane archer/debonair who sits in the backline shooting guns next to aloth and its incredible.

Sounds like a good build for my PoE1 character who's a rogue and who I was going to import at launch but didn't because the save importing was all hosed up

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Davos posted:

That's the problem with having everything voice acted, not exactly easy to go back and add new dialogue options that would require recording entirely new lines

You could at least clone some other phrases in a slightly different way but mentioning that you're very steel garrotish.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Wrapped up the DLC. Highly enjoyable, except for the final boss who was a giant HP sack who kept summoning minions, which I loathed. I also feel a tiny bit put out that a dialogue choice in the final scripted sequence decided the outcome of the whole thing. To be fair the line in question was "what do you want the outcome to be" but I guess since I'd heard other characters talking about what the outcome should be and none of my options appeared to be what those characters wanted, I thought there'd be a bit back in the game where I made a decision. Still, what I picked was probably the best choice in terms of a resident of the setting, if not the nost interesting-sounding option. I guess that's what the next playthrough is for!

Afterwards I wandered around Neketaka for a while and finally got ambushed for my shards by Woedicans! Then on my way to meet Izzia afterwards I got ambushed again, this time by Magranites. It's been a busy day to be religious

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I'm kind of tight on money at the moment but I adore all three playthroughs I did of this game pre-DLC -- which of the dlc is most worth the money, and do any of them feel "required"? I saw that the latest one added a bunch if new subclasses, do I need that expansion to play them?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Burginator posted:

I'm kind of tight on money at the moment but I adore all three playthroughs I did of this game pre-DLC -- which of the dlc is most worth the money, and do any of them feel "required"? I saw that the latest one added a bunch if new subclasses, do I need that expansion to play them?

The new subclasses are in the 4.0 patch, so you get them free.

I've only played Beast of Winter but I think it's fair to say if you adored the main game you'll like the DLCs. Maybe with the exception of SSS since that's basically all combat from what I gather.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is Tekehu any good at combining the Druid and Chanter classes together, or should I have my pal Pallegina the Pala-chanter be my chanter? I assume I get her later even though she told me to gently caress off at the beginning of Neketaka.

Picking classes for your companions has been really hard for me in this game for some reason.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I like Tekehu as a pure druid, his unique perk for their spells is really nice and he doesn't get quite the same punch as a chanter.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Finally getting around to the DLC and I'm disappointed that when doing the challenges for Seeker, Slayer, Survivor the Survivor's dialogue always end with 'Endure, and you will be victorious' instead of occasionally slipping in 'Endure. In enduring, grow strong'.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Node posted:

Is Tekehu any good at combining the Druid and Chanter classes together, or should I have my pal Pallegina the Pala-chanter be my chanter? I assume I get her later even though she told me to gently caress off at the beginning of Neketaka.

Picking classes for your companions has been really hard for me in this game for some reason.

I was just debating that as well. Undecided, especially since I want him to heal a bit as well but I'm not using Pallegina so I went for chanter/druid. Otherwise I won't have a chanter in the group until Konstanten joins for SSS.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Node posted:

I usually run Tekehu as Druid/Chanter and it's great- the added flexibility of chants + invocations more than makes up for the slower Druid spell progression IMO, and the two classes don't really step on each other. I posted about it here.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

They tried the same thing again with Octopath more recently, and I think that was more well-received, but they still fumbled it hard because I'm not really sure these developers know how to think critically or come up with things for themselves because they've never done that before even once in their lives.

Eh not quite. Square set up two studios to do this. One which made Setsuna and Lost Sphear, who yeah your estimation is probably accurate.

The other made Octopath which was pretty decent but yeah rote, they also make the Bravely Default games which if you're gonna tell me those don't show incredible critical analysis of the genre I'm just gonna laugh my rear end off. Octopath seems to have been them experimenting with some Saga style progression and also getting something out early in the Switch lifetime and less polished than the Bravely games (they started making the third bravely game sometime during octopath's development so that probably diverted resources).

Also like. Octopath has issues, but comparing it to Setsuna does it great injustice. Octopath had ambitions that didn't quite pan out and does a lot of weird poo poo but it's still pretty solid and certainly interesting. Setsuna and Lost Sphear aimed for generic by the numbers poo poo and didn't even manage that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Burginator posted:

Forgotten Sanctum is the most worth it (it adds a bit of dialogue for sidekicks to the final main game area, and can potentially affect the ending, as well as being a great huge dungeon) then Beast Of Winter then Seeker Slayer Survivor. Unless you're really into the combat, then probably swap the last two

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Now that all the dlc is out and the bugs are squashed (presumably) I’ll finally do my second playthrough.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

DrManiac posted:

Now that all the dlc is out and the bugs are squashed (presumably) I’ll finally do my second playthrough.

There's still some bugs. The most problematic/great for me was one where characters who'd get 'stuck' at 0 HP without dying, making them functionally immortal. This happened to me on Xoti and Ishiza, but when I removed the former from the party, she permanently died and I had to reload a save. It also happened to one of the adds to the final boss of SSS once.

Also Rekke disappeared from my party and ship permanently and I think its because he had the same bug happen to him during a boarding fight and, since he wasn't in the party, instantly gibbed. So still, save often.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

The White Dragon posted:

SE straight up sabotaged Octopath's sales in Japan by not printing enough physical copies in a country that loathes to buy digital because they didn't want to deal with the PR disaster that would be a nobody cash-in game on the Switch grossly outselling Final Fantasy on the PS4.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is the new subclass stuff worth a third play through? I haven't touched any of the DLC except a little bit of the snow one either so I guess I'll have that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
Popping in to say that Concelhaut's Crushing Hammer + Bloodmage + reliable source of healing is a ridiculous source of damage. Each casting improves the previous casts damage by 100%.