Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pentyne posted:

Disappointing sign of the times, but after being out for 1+ years I had assumed the FAQ community would've written guides and such for the game. Turns out the only thing on gamefaqs is a long winded explanation of the game mechanics and the Steam page only has 1 "walkthrough" that is a bunch of links to YT videos in sequential order and 10+ possible POTD builds.

Not the worst thing, but I remember back when any major RPG 1-2 years in would have 4-5 different complete walkthroughs, item lists, party member guides etc. Times really are changing. That or gamefaqs is an aging dinosaur that has been passed by.

there are wikis these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the PoE wiki blows and half the time thinks you're playing white march instead of PoE2

the other half of the time an entry exists for the item as it exists in both settings as separate pages and you can't know which page you're getting redirected to when you click the hotlink

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

pmchem posted:

there are wikis these days

yeah but even the PoE 2 wiki has lots of missing/empty/incomplete pages

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Inverness posted:

Is there more detailed information about how priests of Magran behave? It's difficult to roleplay a character like that when I have so little information on the actual faith.

you have to imagine your character complain about FIERY WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES every five seconds

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Autism Sneaks posted:

yeah but even the PoE 2 wiki has lots of missing/empty/incomplete pages

I've found the gamepedia.com wiki to be remarkably complete for all my POE2 needs.

But, that's the thing about wikis, anyone can edit them, so if there's something you don't like...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's a big asterisk on that "anyone", though. Especially if you're trying to do things like restructure it so that it's easier to tell stuff from different games apart - at that point it's really more of a political exercise to get buy-in from the existing editors.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

frajaq posted:

you have to imagine your character complain about FIERY WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES every five seconds

The Magranites in Deadfire are a lot more tolerable. Militant harasses, but tolerable.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I just throw questions at this thread if the wikis turn out fruitless. Some of y'all are encyclopedias yourselves I'm regards to Pillars and it's definitely one of those things that makes me glad I threw 10 bucks at this dead gay website.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

rocketrobot posted:

The Magranites in Deadfire are a lot more tolerable. Militant harasses, but tolerable.

The priestess in 1 was also more tolerable than Durance. The way I see it is, overcome every challenge in your path without relying on others. Magran loves challenges, unless it's a challenge against her.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The PoE2 wiki doesn't have the DLC endings up, I keep meaning to try and add them but I'm not sure myself exactly what all the requirements are

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nasgate posted:

The priestess in 1 was also more tolerable than Durance. The way I see it is, overcome every challenge in your path without relying on others. Magran loves challenges, unless it's a challenge against her.

She's fine with those, you just have to bear in mind she's the goddess of the twin principles of FYGM and smashing obstacles into tiny little burning pieces.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
For whatever reason the PoE series does not seem to attract wiki nerds. The fextralife one is an abomination.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
It’s possibly because everyone that plays it is over the age of 50.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I am a boy of 30 years and I'm just too lazy to add to wikis.

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to which wikis are created and maintained. Endless Legend/Space games sell great but their wikis are outdated and weak. More noticeably, Total War series never got a good wiki, and it's one of the most popular strategy games. Fallout 76 was a huge disappointment to everybody but the wiki is filled with information from it, perhaps cause it's the same wiki as the whole Fallout franchise and they have standards. Might and Magic series haven't had a good entry in the series for 13 years and it has 11000 pages (though I adore M&MXL nobody played it). NWN is 17 years and its wiki has ~3700 pages. Two Worlds has 1500 pages. And Wizardry, Blackguards, Avernum, have husks of wikis. And I can't find a separate wiki for KotOR!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think it boils down to whether or not one of the few people who are willing to put effort into making a wiki happens to like your game.

And for stuff like Fallout 76, it's carryover from the wiki-makers who happened to like the Fallout series as a whole.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!
Update: after much digging i found a fix for the Bardatto/Valera questline with the console :)
Will disable achievements but what the hell who cares about those

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

DrakeD posted:

Update: after much digging i found a fix for the Bardatto/Valera questline with the console :)
Will disable achievements but what the hell who cares about those

cheevos also give you berath points to spend on bonuses for your next playthrough

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

cheevos also give you berath points to spend on bonuses for your next playthrough

Aka you're preventing Eder from having a pet, you monster

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Regarding wiki talk it also doesn't help that the POE2 wiki stuff is split between two different wikis (tyranny also has that problem in having two wikis, both of which are kinda poo poo as a result even if combined they're more than complete), the one on fextralife is generally better for raw mechanics stuff but needs to fix links for poo poo like inspirations and afflictions

Also turn-based launch is good but I find myself increasingly despising cipher for trying to actually play as a striker, and feeling like I'm basically only using it anymore because that's what I rolled on the playthrough I used for import and the skill outlay (not a lot of classes start with insight)

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 24, 2019

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!

Nasgate posted:

Aka you're preventing Eder from having a pet, you monster

poo poo. :(

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

ilitarist posted:

I am a boy of 30 years and I'm just too lazy to add to wikis.

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to which wikis are created and maintained. Endless Legend/Space games sell great but their wikis are outdated and weak. More noticeably, Total War series never got a good wiki, and it's one of the most popular strategy games. Fallout 76 was a huge disappointment to everybody but the wiki is filled with information from it, perhaps cause it's the same wiki as the whole Fallout franchise and they have standards. Might and Magic series haven't had a good entry in the series for 13 years and it has 11000 pages (though I adore M&MXL nobody played it). NWN is 17 years and its wiki has ~3700 pages. Two Worlds has 1500 pages. And Wizardry, Blackguards, Avernum, have husks of wikis. And I can't find a separate wiki for KotOR!

A lot of those older games are in an odd place; they're old enough that they *had* a lot of really good resources for it...and they're old enough that a lot of those resources have just slowly faded off the internet since.

Like one of the best resources for Wizardry 8 and the last three Might and Magics are all recovered sites because the person who made and managed them died ten years ago.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

anybody remember that dude DSimpson on GameFAQs that singlehandedly wrote like a bazillion pages worth of hyper-detailed FAQs for BG 1/2/Torment? somebody needs to dig that dude up and point him towards PoE because if anybody had an eye for detail w/r/t writing a comprehensive FAQ, it was that dude

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Freaking Crumbum posted:

anybody remember that dude DSimpson on GameFAQs that singlehandedly wrote like a bazillion pages worth of hyper-detailed FAQs for BG 1/2/Torment? somebody needs to dig that dude up and point him towards PoE because if anybody had an eye for detail w/r/t writing a comprehensive FAQ, it was that dude

Hell yeah, those guides rule

Some other ones I really like are this BG1 walkthrough and the guides Per Jorner wrote for Wasteland/Fallout 1 and 2. There's also this guide that does an excellent job of helping the uninitiated make sense of BG2's large spellbooks. It's not a classic CRPG but one of the most useful guides I've ever used is this one for the PS2 remake of Romancing SaGa that leaves no mechanic unexplained in one of the most confusingly presented JRPGs I can think of.

I love a good FAQ

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I remember them. Dan Simpson, right? I never actually spend too much time on them because they looked like they were written in Notepad, but he was definitely THE go to source for the longest time.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Agnosticnixie posted:

Also turn-based launch is good but I find myself increasingly despising cipher for trying to actually play as a striker, and feeling like I'm basically only using it anymore because that's what I rolled on the playthrough I used for import and the skill outlay (not a lot of classes start with insight)

Do a multi class cipher. Rogue or fighter are both good choices for a striker cipher.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Khizan posted:

Do a multi class cipher. Rogue or fighter are both good choices for a striker cipher.

I was thinking of restarting as Cipher/Martial when I get to playing later (I hadn't finished tutorial island) but also kinda dreading another restart and my memories of doing psyblade at release was pretty much an annihilation dispenser, I guess Inquisitor or Mindstalker might be worth trying

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I remember them. Dan Simpson, right? I never actually spend too much time on them because they looked like they were written in Notepad, but he was definitely THE go to source for the longest time.

Same guy who had pages and pages of math equations to justify which weapons/skills/spells etc could cause the most damage.

I dont expect that level of detail for POE but his BG walkthroughs had literally everything with detailed comments, strategies, etc

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

pentyne posted:

Disappointing sign of the times, but after being out for 1+ years I had assumed the FAQ community would've written guides and such for the game. Turns out the only thing on gamefaqs is a long winded explanation of the game mechanics and the Steam page only has 1 "walkthrough" that is a bunch of links to YT videos in sequential order and 10+ possible POTD builds.

Not the worst thing, but I remember back when any major RPG 1-2 years in would have 4-5 different complete walkthroughs, item lists, party member guides etc. Times really are changing. That or gamefaqs is an aging dinosaur that has been passed by.

It's worth noting that the Gamefaqs guide is long winded in general, but the individual class breakdowns are digestible looks at the pros and cons of the subclasses and some standout abilities.

ProfessorCirno posted:

A lot of those older games are in an odd place; they're old enough that they *had* a lot of really good resources for it...and they're old enough that a lot of those resources have just slowly faded off the internet since.

Like one of the best resources for Wizardry 8 and the last three Might and Magics are all recovered sites because the person who made and managed them died ten years ago.

Can't believe it's been that long. RIP Flamestryke/Lana. :(

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

and the Steam page only has 1 "walkthrough" that is a bunch of links to YT videos in sequential order and 10+ possible POTD builds.

I think this is also more of a culture thing in general nowadays, people just don't write guides anymore they put a video on youtube so they can have their mugshot on there. I hate the trend. :argh:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sometimes the attention to detail in this game surprises me out of nowhere. In this case it was in a pretty amusing way

I forgot to take off Arkemyr's robes after doing his quest and he called me out on it lol. I'm amazed someone thought to program that possibility in.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Every companion has a line for that as well! It rules!

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The appointment with Arkemyr is marvelous and has little bits of reactivity for a whole bunch of parameters in the quest (plus it has imo the better done bits of reactivity from the first game besides the god reactions in the intro)

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
help I can't get away from the port maje island without thinking I need to reroll a new PC, the fextralife build vids look so cool...

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

RangerKarl posted:

help I can't get away from the port maje island without thinking I need to reroll a new PC, the fextralife build vids look so cool...

The trick is to do all of Nekataka and some of the surrounding islands and maybe some of the things around the main quest islands before rerolling.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

RangerKarl posted:

I get that too sometimes but what gets me past it is just committing to a play through and saving whatever cool builds I have for future runs. It's not like you can't play the game again later and try a different build unless you're one of those one playthrough only types.

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Every companion has a line for that as well! It rules!

Agnosticnixie posted:

The appointment with Arkemyr is marvelous and has little bits of reactivity for a whole bunch of parameters in the quest (plus it has imo the better done bits of reactivity from the first game besides the god reactions in the intro)

Yeah it's one of my favorite quests. What's cool is how there are different ways to solve it. The first few times I played I had no idea you could solve it peacefully by wearing his robes and pretending to be him. It's much easier to do that than having to fight the whole place. Some of those Golems are quite tough.

But you can also enter his manor from different areas as well. And I'd assume the quest would also be possible to solve via stealth even if you didn't want to solve it by pretending to be Arkemyr.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

But you can also enter his manor from different areas as well. And I'd assume the quest would also be possible to solve via stealth even if you didn't want to solve it by pretending to be Arkemyr.

It's actually extremely easy to do this without any stealth investment. With high enough mechanics, there's literally only one roaming imp with a really long route that you need to avoid. Go in through the bathhouse and you can use mechanics to disable the alarm, then unlock the vault without the key. Just need high str and a crowbar to go through the wall iirc.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Is it possible to get Maia to stick around if you side with the Huana at the end?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I love when Arkemyr is like "Someone seems to have broken into my home" and instead of playing it off or anything you can just straight up say "Yeah, that was me. I robbed you."

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is it possible to get Maia to stick around if you side with the Huana at the end?

You need to have her romanced and not have too much diplomatic or shady rep, or unless this one got patched out - start by accepting the endgame quest from the rdc first and when they tell you their actual plan go nope, they'll turn on you and you should be able to join the huana after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I kinda wish Arkemyr was a better threat if you chose to fight him like POE1 archmages. He's kinda a chump. If he just ran off using his special badass invisibility spell it would be more fitting.