Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I like Tekehu but it feels like he misses out on all the juicy druid spells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Fuligin posted:

I like Tekehu but it feels like he misses out on all the juicy druid spells

Tekehu's druid class is pretty good since his damage spells are foe only.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Nasgate posted:

Every party needs a straightman.

Iselmyr on the other hand is a barrel of laughs. I wish there were an option to let her just take over.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Managed to power through the massive urge to reroll and picked up the two bird ladies, but not before messing about in the Old City Ruins. Pretty okay with the encounters so far, though the big grey sausage at the end of one of the tiles was too much and I think I missed something down there. Will have to run back and look it up later...

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I never really understood why Aloth was selected as a returning NPC. Posh elf wizard isn't exactly the most interesting character, and the "twist" only reinforces that. I guess he shares a voice actor with the rightly beloved Eder.

I always thought Sagani was grossly underrated. I've seen two common criticisms of her character. The first is that she was boring. I thought she was one of funnier characters in an RPG-certainly more entertaining and amusing than someone screaming about space hamsters for 80 hours. The second is that she had no good reason to join the party. But she's hunting for the reincarnated soul of someone and kind of lost. She meets the Watcher, who's traipsing all over the region and whose unique power is seeing and interacting with souls. That seems better motivation than roughly half the party.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

prometheusbound2 posted:

I never really understood why Aloth was selected as a returning NPC.

Because he's literally the first companion you meet in PoE1 (and was thus likely in the party of nearly everyone who played the game at least once) and is, if the amount of fanart and fiction that's been put out there is any indication, quite popular among the fanbase.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sagani is the best and my friend.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Nasgate posted:

Every party needs a straightman.

it's this

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Chairchucker posted:

Sagani Itumaak is the best and my friend.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Aloth having two distinct and completely unrelated backstories makes him seem like someone's first d&d character. Yes yes you're extremely special, but maybe just pick one backstory and work with that? And they effectively did pick one anyway - we get very little sense of why he joined the leaden key or what he actually believes about them. To the point that at the end he needs to ask you how he feels about it.

If he was just a wizard struggling with a humorous awakened soul and a bad upbringing instead he'd be aces imo.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

frajaq posted:

it's this

I think the same voice actor as Eder must have been a major factor though.

The thing about Aloth for me is that his reasons for being in Deadfire are boring and basically don't matter. Being the new Thaos should result in more than a few lines about his failed attempt to meddle with some tribe. Because of how they handled Isylmyr in the first game and being able to expunge her also meant that it's hard to incorporate her more into his plot, because for some players she is gone. Coupled with the fact that he is a dry boring stick in the mud whose personality is essentially "sigh", he doesn't really make for a hugely compelling character in Deadfire (at least for me). I wish Fassina was a full tier companion, she seemed to be more interesting.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Best Friends posted:

Aloth having two distinct and completely unrelated backstories makes him seem like someone's first d&d character. Yes yes you're extremely special, but maybe just pick one backstory and work with that? And they effectively did pick one anyway - we get very little sense of why he joined the leaden key or what he actually believes about them. To the point that at the end he needs to ask you how he feels about it.

If he was just a wizard struggling with a humorous awakened soul and a bad upbringing instead he'd be aces imo.

Due to his upbringing he very clearly relies on others for direction. The leaden key is very good at taking submissive people and making them think they're doing good. That's like a big part of his character in 2, he's trying to figure out how to be in charge of his own life. He rejoins you because you're the most driven and self directed person he knows. He knows you're a good example to follow if he wants to learn to better himself. Vs in 1 where he follows you for the same reasons, but without the self awareness.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

:thunk:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Is there a full version of the talk available yet?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

frajaq posted:

it's this
Pallegina is a better straight man tbh

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Aloth only gets a party spot from me when I need a pure-classed wizard, which pretty much means only in situations that I can't handle without an 8th/9th level wizard spell.

So far, that's 'never', but this is my first real playthrough since the introduction of the megabosses so he might get some time in the party towards the end of the game.

That said, right now my main party is a Devoted/Soulblade PC, Herald Pallegina, Barbarian Serafen, and Geomancer Maia with the last spot floated to whoever feels right at the moment. Ydwin's getting a lot of play right now as I ramp up towards BoW.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 27, 2019

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

I must be the only person that actively dislikes every line of dialogue being voiced. I can read just fine thank you!!!

I guess it's also going to be the standard for the foreseeable future

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

true until she flipped the gently caress off during a quest and I had to kill her

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

I must be the only person that actively dislikes every line of dialogue being voiced. I can read just fine thank you!!!

blame D:OS 2

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

This is how I feel as well. I like doing the voices in my head. One thing I love about big fat RPGs is being able to mull over everything and internalize it at my own pace.

Situational/combat barks are cool, though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I blame Oblivion personally

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hated it in poe1 because a lot of the dialogue also had stage direction in the middle of sentences which the VO would not narrate, and the dissonance hosed with my head as I tried to read and listen at the same time.

2 was better about that but it’s still kind of annoying to read and listen at the same time, I’d be fine with no full VO if we get 3.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Sagani was one of the companions I almost never took out of the party for two runs of the first game and I'd have loved to see her get some sort of nod in Deadfire (especially since Naasitaq and the White are in the southern deadfire) but she's also one of the companions whose story is the most over at the end of the first game, narratively her most likely outcome is "village elder chilling" and so getting her back in basically requires more effort even than Aloth as the new Thaos. It's a pity though, since it would have been fairly easy to make sure she doesn't overlap too hard with Maia by defaulting her to scout and maybe giving Maia a different multiclass.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Did anyone else find some of the voices in 2 to be kind of jarring? The one I can name of the top of my head is that ogre in the mines where Eccea's blaster drops that just talks like some normal dude. :effort:

I think the way poe1 did it is just fine, enough voicelines for the important characters to get a feel of them, not wasting resources on badly voicing every random shopkeeper.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

What were "quicksand features" in the context of Deadfire and games/software development more generally?

I play with the sound off but IMO the dialogue in POE2 is generally better than the original. The requirement that is be read aloud might have helped.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Man potd in 2 is a whole different beast than in the first game. I was doing fine until I hit the engwithan digsite and I don't even know where to begin. It feels like if the Gilded Vale temple was mandatory and also you have no choice but to go in there as soon as possible.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I don't mind having every line voiced but if it meant more budget and attention spent on other areas I'd gladly cut out a lot of the voiced dialogue. Voice the companions and the important characters - that's enough for me.

Gobblecoque posted:

Man potd in 2 is a whole different beast than in the first game. I was doing fine until I hit the engwithan digsite and I don't even know where to begin. It feels like if the Gilded Vale temple was mandatory and also you have no choice but to go in there as soon as possible.

The digsite and Gorecci Street are very difficult areas on POTD. Here's a tip for the digsite at least: go to the Inn and hire a Druid companion. When you level said companion up, give them access to spells like Charm Beast and Hold Beast. Bring them to the digsite and marvel at how much easier it is when you can charm or paralyze the enemy beasts. It's a world of difference.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

I really liked the two concurrent plotlines. Everyone engaged in petty squabbles while the world is ending :sigh:. That got real.

Led up nicely to my character having an existential meltdown in the throne room after Ashen Maw and sailing off alone.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Same. Though I can see why that would be a talking point since people felt the Eothas stuff was too short. I found them to be good bookends to chapters of the game since they involved these big set pieces before you're back trying to get all these making GBS threads imperialist/capitalist/traditionalist/FYGMist powers to help you sort out a world-changing problem. Though, if I had to choose which narrative I'd like to see going forward more than anything else it would be the politicking stuff, though a good, simple "save the world" story is always fun too. Nothing wrong with having some escapist fantasy every now and then.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The digsite with level scaling is a nightmare on both vet and potd if you pair it with the blessing that starts you at level 4

Also for Gorecci, going there by exiting Port Maje docks through one of the southern streets makes it incredibly easy to sneak past the ruffians

Also ngl I wish there was audio because concurrent plotlines could be a bunch of things (Neketaka and Principi are definitely separate stories), the epic fantasy framing device kind of has the issue that it's basically an expected genre standard so hard to avoid.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 27, 2019

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I thought each faction awarded a new ship for the endgame quest? I just finished the Huana questline and was expecting to get one of their catamaran things but nope. Wiki content on this is pretty garbage.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

I thought each faction awarded a new ship for the endgame quest? I just finished the Huana questline and was expecting to get one of their catamaran things but nope. Wiki content on this is pretty garbage.

Every faction has a way to aid you to the final goal, but you don't get a ship from all of them.

You get a ship from the Pirates and Rauatai. The Vailians teleport you iirc and the Huana send you watershapers to get you to Ukaizo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

What were "quicksand features" in the context of Deadfire and games/software development more generally?

My understanding is that they're features that seem harmless enough when you start off, and so you keep working on them while they slowly suck you down and prevent you from achieving your main goal. My guess for a quicksand feature in Deadfire might be something like ship battles (and the whole crew/ship equipment system by proxy): it's a system that you'd naturally want to include in a game about sailing around pirate-infested waters, but it's also a system that likely ate up an oversized amount of development time to get it in a relatively balanced, working order, and which is probably ignored almost wholesale by 9/10ths of the people who ended up picking up and playing the game.

Scorchy posted:

I really liked the two concurrent plotlines. Everyone engaged in petty squabbles while the world is ending :sigh:. That got real.

I liked the idea of the concurrent plotlines, because the struggle of Eothas (someone who's convinced he's doing the right thing and making the world a better place regardless of the cost) directly mirrors the various factions thinking the exact same thing. Like a lot of good fantasy fiction, it dramatizes an internal, subtextual struggle in an external, supernatural way. I think the problem was more with how the two were paced: you only get a single quest where the factions are really mentioned in relation to Eothas (the trip to Hasongo, and then only barely), then Magran's Teeth, and then the choose-a-side roadblock. It sounds weird, but I think gating the Eothas questline more so that it's necessary to interact with the factions earlier - and thus relate the two struggles to eachother - would have created a stronger narrative and made the main questline feel like a short hop.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 27, 2019

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Be interesting to see what the telemetry data is on peoples’ use of the ship mechanics. I enjoyed it as a feature :shrug:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

All dialogue was voiced and not a single pet was when really it should have been the opposite.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Eraflure posted:

All dialogue was voiced and not a single pet was when really it should have been the opposite.

Concelhaut is voiced!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Basic Chunnel posted:

pallegina is a paladin ergo a jackboot and a colonizer. the only place she belongs is in a valian shipwreck at the bottom of the archipelago

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Entropy238 posted:

Be interesting to see what the telemetry data is on peoples’ use of the ship mechanics. I enjoyed it as a feature :shrug:

:same:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The White Dragon posted:

pallegina is a paladin ergo a jackboot and a colonizer. the only place she belongs is in a valian shipwreck at the bottom of the archipelago

this but while siding with RDC

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
I don't really think Deadfire's plot has two struggles. There is the real political struggle and then there is the chasing Eothas plotline that is presented as if it were a struggle, but nah psych! I think that misleading setup is what left a bad taste in people's mouths.

There's no reason the main character really had to stay involved with the gods. In fact just doing a straight Yojimbo style game where the protagonist isn't Chosen by the gods, but just a clever person that plays people well.

User fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Since Devoted starts with the generic Unarmed proficiency, you can take the Improved Monastic Training to gain access to a pretty decent source of crushing damage to go along with whatever weapon you picked, and it doesn't incur the penalties for using a non-Devoted weapon.

Definitely making my Devoted/Soulblade run easier, especially since I went with Battleaxe.