Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

TheAnomaly posted:

She's also not an objectivist, she's Sith. Sith philosphy believes that any form of charity promotes weakness, and life belongs to the Strong. It's very much a religion built around despotism as the ideal government, and as the Dark Side of the force rewards such emotions and actions they've gravitated towards it (even though, in both of those games, the Light Side was objectively the better of the two). All of her handwringing morality and questions are designed to lead the MC to the realization that the Dark Side is strength, and that only strength can free anyone. She's standoffish, but it's justifiable from both her perspective and her purpose, although I think Jolee Bindo does it better as the grey Jedi.

In that particular example of hers if you tell the beggar to gently caress off he still gets killed and instead of ranting about charity she rants about how petty violence leads to more violence or something, don't remember exactly but the point is she'll berate you no matter what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

There's a guy named No-Nut Ned, haha, what in the world

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well i blamed the valiant trading company for the explosion and now i'm locked into helping the queen

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Belatedly, thanks for the PoE 1 advice /steam guide - I went for Cipher.

As a trip report, the switch port actually has pretty well done controls, given that it doesn't use a mouse. The radial menus are pretty good, and they have some clever solutions for ie looking for intractables.

A lot of the text initially appears as weird glyphs before turning into English characters after a second or two, ui elements on losing screens sometimes don't load in, and the loading in general is a bit slow.

I think for me it's still worth it for portability, but if you're at all on the fence definitely wait for bug fixes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Zane posted:

whenever avellone has had a big hand in rendering an ensemble crpg cast (ps:t, kotor 2) he emphasizes their internal divergences, often to the point of their being outright hostile to each other. the entire crew of kotor 2 are close to each other's throats before kreia's manipulation comes into the picture. even morte and dakkon--together for probably decades with the previous incarnation--don't trust each other and don't let you know what's up. this is also true in nwn2 original and motb--though to a lesser degree--in approx proportion to his involvement.

Yeah, he’s good with that stuff

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

well i blamed the valiant trading company for the explosion and now i'm locked into helping the queen

Yeah I don't think you can get the Floating Hangman without being locked into helping the pirates as that's their final quest.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I don't think you can get the Floating Hangman without being locked into helping the pirates as that's their final quest.

Think it only locks you in if you confirm you got the hangman, if you get it then never talk to the pirates again you could do something else still.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
I don't think you can go and grab the Hangman after blowing the powderhouse, though, unless maybe you were at the step where you just need to call the ship out and win that fight?

You definitely can (or could, been a while since I tried) grab the ship and avoid siding with the Principi by not turning in the quest afterwards.

e: for future reference I made a post about the cut-off points for the endgame faction stuff a billion years ago:

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Sort of. You're locked out of the final step or two for all the faction quests pre-Ashen Maw; you can't screw yourself out of anything prior to that. Afterwards, there's some spots you may get blindsided:

Huana: talking to the queen forces you to commit one way or the other once you've completed all the other quests for her faction. I did all the Huana stuff before Ashen Maw and talking to her once caused companions to leave without me getting to say no, iirc, so tread lightly if you don't want to commit.
VTC: you can do everything up to the hearing with the leadership. Talking to the director afterwards forces you to commit, but you can say no (and lock yourself out of their ending path)
Rauatai:You should get a letter when you meet the requirements, this one is pretty clear about being a point of no return in the quest log. Talking to the leader and agreeing to hear her request is the cutoff point
Principi:You can do everything up to using the sword on the high seas without locking yourself in.

Note that there's some different outcomes for faction questlines I didn't test, but near as I can tell the stuff listed above is where the game locks you in for a faction choice.

The only error there that I know of is the Principi stuff, as listed above.

En Garde Motherfuckers fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 18, 2019

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

what are the conditions necessary to move aloth's personal plot forward? on my first play through i got him to talk about what he'd been doing since PoE1 right away, and then he was like "good chat i'll fill you in on the rest later" and then through the rest of the entire game, he never ever said boo to me again. i know the original release had all kinds of weird bugs with companion interactions (and aloth in particular) but even on subsequent play throughs, where i've made it up to various points in the game's plot, i've never figured out how to get him past the initial conversation on the boat. everyone else can't wait to vomit their backstory into my lap as soon as i walk past them, but i've never gotten aloth to give me the rest of his personal quest.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

what are the conditions necessary to move aloth's personal plot forward? on my first play through i got him to talk about what he'd been doing since PoE1 right away, and then he was like "good chat i'll fill you in on the rest later" and then through the rest of the entire game, he never ever said boo to me again. i know the original release had all kinds of weird bugs with companion interactions (and aloth in particular) but even on subsequent play throughs, where i've made it up to various points in the game's plot, i've never figured out how to get him past the initial conversation on the boat. everyone else can't wait to vomit their backstory into my lap as soon as i walk past them, but i've never gotten aloth to give me the rest of his personal quest.

Somewhere around the Wahaki's home island I ran into a merchant vessel or something that they had hit, and that got Aloth talking.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Freaking Crumbum posted:

what are the conditions necessary to move aloth's personal plot forward?

Far as I can tell: either meet the Insight 4 check, progress down the Huana questline to where Onekaza sends you to speak to the Wahaki, find a shipwreck near Ori o Koiki, or just travel straight to Ori o Koiki. I think a high enough reputation might be enough, too, but I could never confirm it. Going to Ori o Koiki with him in the party is the easiest method, as just walking in will trigger the conversation that progresses the quest to the next stage.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

You definitely can (or could, been a while since I tried) grab the ship and avoid siding with the Principi by not turning in the quest afterwards.

Doesn't that still lock you out of helping other factions though? I know you can grab the ship and then not turn in the quest to Furrante/Aeldys and go book it to Ukaizo without them, but I wasn't sure if you could grab the ship and still join the other factions.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Doesn't that still lock you out of helping other factions though? I know you can grab the ship and then not turn in the quest to Furrante/Aeldys and go book it to Ukaizo without them, but I wasn't sure if you could grab the ship and still join the other factions.

Heck, you can use the ghost ship AND the huana/Valian tricks to get through the storm at the same time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Nope. You can grab the ship and just never turn it in, giving you the ship and letting you side with the other factions.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Console versions of PoE2 were officially announced (PS4, XBone, Switch) but there’s no release date yet

quote:

The rogue god Eothas awakened within the stone titan sleeping below your castle, killing your people, and stealing a piece of your soul. Only you and your companions can uncover the rogue god’s machinations as he traverses the Deadfire Archipelago.

The critically-acclaimed RPG from the masters at Obsidian Entertainment finally arrives, featuring all major updates and expansions.

Bend the world to your will as you explore the depths of infinite possibilities, including detailed character customization, total freedom of exploration, and more meaningful choices at every turn.

Featuring an enormous open world, a massive cast of characters, and a story you can play your way, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Ultimate Edition redefines the role-playing game experience for a new generation.

Key Features

Beast of Winter DLC – heed the call of Vatnir, a priest of the god of death, to halt the tide of destruction encroaching upon the living.
The Forgotten Sanctum DLC – battle your way through the bowels of a vengeful, sleeping god.
Seeker, Slayer, Survivor DLC – Triumph or die in the Crucible of Kazuwari, where only the mighty reign.
Play in either Turn-Based Mode or Classic Real-Time with Pause: Immerse yourself in a deeper single player RPG game experience – now with both classic real-time with pause and new turn-based combat, Deadfire builds on the foundation of classic tabletop gameplay more than ever before.
Over 100 hours of gameplay per playthrough.
Play however you want: Detailed character creator character and over 1,000 class permutations gives you the freedom to be whoever you want.
Gather your party: Build your party and customize your companions to join you on your quest. Assign multiple classes and deeper abilities for each. Witness their personal relationships, reactions to player choice, and interactions with each other unfold.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I guess there was a quest in Forgotten Sanctum that I never saw because I was too fence-sitty on which Archmage to please.

Ah well, I have like three games going anyway, one of them can handle that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So I am currently playing Pillars 1 for the first time and haven't played a isometric crpg in a while. I completely forgot how much fighting enemies in choke points aka doorways is a big tactic in these type of games.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
At least they made sure that kiting doesn't reduce fights to nothing.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I am on my third run through and I have to say, replayability is pretty good. I am now making characters with a really high score in perception and holy cow, there a ton of secret stashes to be found.

Also:

Pillars of Eternity II: we're gonna need a bigger boat

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Meatgrinder posted:

Pillars of Eternity II: we're gonna need a bigger boat

How else are you gonna hold all those pets?

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

I was kind of hoping that, given the games focus on colonialism and imperialism, that the main story was supposed to show us the perspective of the natives who are force to watch as a greater power charges in taking whatever it wants while choosing how we are going to live without any input from us. I guess I expected too much?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

You got an actual nuanced story instead of Evil Imperialists versus Noble Savages bore.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mehrunes posted:

I was kind of hoping that, given the games focus on colonialism and imperialism, that the main story was supposed to show us the perspective of the natives who are force to watch as a greater power charges in taking whatever it wants while choosing how we are going to live without any input from us. I guess I expected too much?

It does. The natives' perspective is also just kinda lovely.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

It does. The natives' perspective is also just kinda lovely.

There's no room for racism in this discussion.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mehrunes posted:

There's no room for racism in this discussion.

What?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

:same:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

is there a :godwin: for racism?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i recall the huana having a great deal of opinions on things through out the whole game

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

@ropekid Is there a reason the DLC gives you not one, but two different ways to stop Eothas, and neither of them work and he fucks up reality anyway? It was really frustrating getting to the end and having both options fail, double insult to injury for a journey that was overall nothing but failure. If the game were to ever get a sequel I wouldn't expect those choices to be reflected, it would have just be nice to have all the effort pay off and get an alternate ending for it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

If the game were to ever get a sequel I wouldn't expect those choices to be reflected

Most people would.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Janissary Hop posted:

@ropekid Is there a reason the DLC gives you not one, but two different ways to stop Eothas, and neither of them work and he fucks up reality anyway? It was really frustrating getting to the end and having both options fail, double insult to injury for a journey that was overall nothing but failure. If the game were to ever get a sequel I wouldn't expect those choices to be reflected, it would have just be nice to have all the effort pay off and get an alternate ending for it.

Not answering for ropekid, only a counterpoint for discussion: I think putting things into a non-free DLC that could dramatically alter the ending would get into a pay-to-win area in this case.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
rope kid didn't work on the DLC. If I had to guess, there are a few possible reasons why the DLC doesn't allow you to radically alter the ending...

1: Several ending slides reference the event at the end of the game, or describe events which take place in the context of that event having happened. This includes the other DLC calmer for example the fate of Muatu in SSS can depend on the state of the Wheel. That's a lot of potential re-recording

2: they didn't want people to think of the paid DLC as "selling the good ending"

3: they are, or were, planning a sequel, and wanted to make sure all possible endings for the 2nd game led to the same starting point of the 3rd

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Most people would.

I think after "every rpg ever not acknowledging anything you did in the last game except in token ways" people will have gotten used to it. See: every Bioware game.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

isk posted:

Not answering for ropekid, only a counterpoint for discussion: I think putting things into a non-free DLC that could dramatically alter the ending would get into a pay-to-win area in this case.

2house2fly posted:

rope kid didn't work on the DLC. If I had to guess, there are a few possible reasons why the DLC doesn't allow you to radically alter the ending...

1: Several ending slides reference the event at the end of the game, or describe events which take place in the context of that event having happened. This includes the other DLC calmer for example the fate of Muatu in SSS can depend on the state of the Wheel. That's a lot of potential re-recording

2: they didn't want people to think of the paid DLC as "selling the good ending"

3: they are, or were, planning a sequel, and wanted to make sure all possible endings for the 2nd game led to the same starting point of the 3rd

These are all rational answers, but then it brings me to: why even put this stuff in the game in the first place then? I cannot have been the only person disappointed by:

Waidwen coming along to talk Eothas out of it and Eothas is just like "you make a good point... but I'm gonna do it anyway."

and

Monkey cheese god Wael's anime tentacle monster having an epic battle with Eothas that just ends with... Eothas breaks the machine anyway. Also Eothas dies and there's a giant tentacle god around, have fun accounting for that in a sequel!

I'm am trying to see if there's some higher thinking here that eludes me.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Janissary Hop posted:

Waidwen coming along to talk Eothas out of it and Eothas is just like "you make a good point... but I'm gonna do it anyway."

For this I thought you’re not actually communicating with present Eothas during the bridge scene, just exploring the memory. Unless I severely misunderstood.

Anyway the answer to both your questions is very clearly the wheel needs to be broken as part of the story for the next game as you yourself acknowledged.

Also considering the dlc was done by a different team I don’t think they were in a rush to rian Johnson the the main game and completely change the direction of the ending.

Starks fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 25, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Janissary Hop posted:

@ropekid Is there a reason the DLC gives you not one, but two different ways to stop Eothas, and neither of them work and he fucks up reality anyway?

The game is abt unstoppable forces, basically. You use a nuke to stop a nuke, well friend you’ve got two nukes

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pillars is different in that while you’re a force to be reckoned with, you’re not a god. The fact that you can bend Eothas’s ear even a little is an enormous triumph. No one else could and neither could the other gods. This game and it’s narrative were awesome for that very reason. Tons of choices matter, but that doesn’t mean you can or should be able to change the world.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Pillars is different in that while you’re a force to be reckoned with, you’re not a god. The fact that you can bend Eothas’s ear even a little is an enormous triumph.
I don’t think there’s any real need to sugar coat a downer ending. What Eothas says doesn’t really matter, whether he indulges the Watcher doesn’t really matter, his actions don’t change.

Anyway, do the generic faction boats continually spawn? I do like the seemingly endless pirate life.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 26, 2019

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Janissary Hop posted:

These are all rational answers, but then it brings me to: why even put this stuff in the game in the first place then?
because it's cool! Adding extra bits or variations to the final areas is neat, and something I had specifically been hoping for considering how anaemic those areas are. Regarding those two instances, making a bargain with a god that ends up not doing much of anything for you while the god gets what they want is kind of thematically satisfying given the specific god you're dealing with, and plus it does make it different from the other possible endings in that through Wael you can actually get revenge on Eothas for everything he's put you through, for Dark Side players who really wanted to harm my bro.

As for Waidwen, whether he actually manages to talk Eothas down or not it's nice for them to get a final conversation after the backstory revealed in the DLC. They have a nice little chat via farming metaphors and Waidwen gets to bear witness to the culmination of the work which got him killed. It's a satisfying conversation in a way a lot of the other final dialogues aren't, because it feels like they're actually wrapping stuff up that was set up before

Starks posted:

For this I thought you're not actually communicating with present Eothas during the bridge scene, just exploring the memory. Unless I severely misunderstood.
that bit refers to an optional bit of dialogue the DLC opens at the end of the main game: Waidwen appears during the final conversation to try and talk Eothas around. He doesn't manage it, but it's a nice moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

I wonder where a sequel would go. Rauatai and the Republics both make a degree of sense given how heavily involved those factions were in Deadfire. Aedyr might also be something to consider given Woedica is always up to no good and Aedyr loves them some Woedica.

The White that Wends and The Living Lands seem more like DLC/expansion areas to visit.