Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Three people have beaten The Ultimate so far, the last one did it on turn based mode:
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1171846101780971523

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oasx posted:

Three people have beaten The Ultimate so far, the last one did it on turn based mode:
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1171846101780971523

Turn based is even more impressive considering that the basic Ultimate strat (proccing Brilliant and then spamming Salvation of Time/Wall of Draining to extend it and your other buffs) is already incredibly tedious on RTwP mode. I can't even imagine the kind of dedication you'd need to finish it through turn-based.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

How practical would it be to do a ranged Devoted using the Warbow, or maybe an Arquebus ? I'm leaning towards MCing it with Cipher, Ranger, or maybe Rogue.

EDIT: Also, if you're unarmed and using the fist-shield, do you benefit from both the dual wield and sword and board talents?

Khizan fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 11, 2019

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

What does the preference for priests of Skaen stem from in particular?

Also I just started a new Pillars I playthrough so I can revisit White March, and man I have done Act I of this game way too many times. Makes me appreciate the freedom to chart your own course in Deadfire even more

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 11, 2019

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Khizan posted:

How practical would it be to do a ranged Devoted using the Warbow, or maybe an Arquebus ? I'm leaning towards MCing it with Cipher, Ranger, or maybe Rogue.

EDIT: Also, if you're unarmed and using the fist-shield, do you benefit from both the dual wield and sword and board talents?

You miss out on the really strong fighter actives as a ranged devoted, but you’ll be versatile and tough. Consider taking monastic unarmed training for access to another damage type and strong melee attacks.

Bashing shields all benefit from both the dual wield and sword and board talents.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fuligin posted:

What does the preference for priests of Skaen stem from in particular?

Pretty sure it's for Shadowing Beyond and Spiritual Ally. Shadowing Beyond is used to cheese certain encounters by letting you do things like stack up Wall of Draining over time in safety, or use Essential Phantom to safely take care of early encounters that would otherwise kill you. Spiritual Ally is a convenience thing, since you get both it and Salvation of Time in the same levelup (whereas other Priest multiclasses have to choose), and it's used in certain fights to lure mobs around or to buy time while you get into position. I think Escape might also be part of it, since it's got a massive +Deflection buff with a tiny buff duration that can get extended to eternity with Salvation.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Never noticed until now but I was looking at the Dunnage city info tab and under exports it lists Pirates lol.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Though the exports and most other data on those lists doesn't change over the course of the game, the type of government and the ruler do actually change based on things that you do. I think Neketaka has the most complex logic, with something like 5 or 6 potential rulers.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That's pretty cool. I never noticed that. I'll keep an eye out for that this run.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Never noticed until now but I was looking at the Dunnage city info tab and under exports it lists Pirates lol.

The city info was a nice little addition that helps to contextualize the ports you visit. PoE2 genuinely feels like one of the most well-realized fantasy worlds in the business.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Never really messed around with healing pots in this game but one some of the SSS fights I'm just straight running out of healing spells and need a little more in the tank. So I put some in each party members quick bags but when I use them, I see the action icon turn into a potion looking thing, the character does an animation that looks like they're chugging something... and then nothing happens. The potion is still in inventory, no health is gained, and they just go back to auto-attack. Am I complete idiot or is this a hosed up bug?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I need to turn off AI to succesfully get a party member to drink a potion. The animation is like the actual casting of a spell or something; it too can be interrupted.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Meatgrinder posted:

I need to turn off AI to succesfully get a party member to drink a potion. The animation is like the actual casting of a spell or something; it too can be interrupted.

This is it. The AI for some reason interrupts the drinking of a potion. I can only get my guys to drink them by turning the AI off. It's a bit of annoying bug and I don't really use AI because of it.

If you still want to use AI then just turn it off when you drink a pot and switch it back on afterwards. I know of no other fix.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Yeah, that's a bugger. I only use auto-attack AI so I'll just flip it off/on when drinking. Thank you for the tip.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I feel like they get right to the end of the animation before they interrupt themselves to do the next thing. Maybe the AI thinks the drinking animation is slightly shorter than it actually is.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Since I've switched to turn based it hasn't bothered me, but I seem to remember removing a party member a LONG way from combat would also allow them to finish the action of drinking a potion. I really like turn based much more now, it suits my play style a lot better.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

I wish I had done turn based for sure, but at this point I've finished BoW and FS, and am halfway through SSS, and I'm not going to start over now.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

This is it. The AI for some reason interrupts the drinking of a potion. I can only get my guys to drink them by turning the AI off. It's a bit of annoying bug and I don't really use AI because of it.

If you still want to use AI then just turn it off when you drink a pot and switch it back on afterwards. I know of no other fix.

Eggnogium posted:

Yeah, that's a bugger. I only use auto-attack AI so I'll just flip it off/on when drinking. Thank you for the tip.
the best fix that exists is to change the ai behavior profile from aggressive to only if attacked or whatever it's called.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Eggnogium posted:

I wish I had done turn based for sure, but at this point I've finished BoW and FS, and am halfway through SSS, and I'm not going to start over now.

Oh I replay these types of games endlessly; higher difficulty, Berath's Blessings, take that chanter guy to SSS, take the wizard lady to FS, take the weird priest on BoW... Last game I started I made an entire party of adventurers who were all dual classed paladins: two rangers, a rogue and a wizard. I got through the first big fights solely dual wielding those flaming sword heals. Good times.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ginette Reno posted:

What happens if you tell the ai to use a potion as part of the script?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

What happens if you tell the ai to use a potion as part of the script?

Still doesn't complete. What's happening is that potions don't really have a cast time like regular abilities: they still take the full amount of the drinking animation to complete, but the game doesn't register someone drinking a potion as being in a casting state. Consequently, AI party members will try to swig a potion, their AI will cycle without seeing that they're drinking a potion, and will then interrupt using the potion with an autoattack or some other action.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm doing my first turn based run and I've seen enemies drink potions for the first time.

Also turn based question: the bounties on katrenn and Lord admiral imp are triggering the whole town instead of just them. Is there a workaround?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Best Friends posted:

I'm doing my first turn based run and I've seen enemies drink potions for the first time.

Also turn based question: the bounties on katrenn and Lord admiral imp are triggering the whole town instead of just them. Is there a workaround?

Sadly, not that I know of. I saw a few people claiming that letting all the enemies hit you first would mean the guards don't attack you but I tried it and it didn't seem to work.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Best Friends posted:

I managed to do those bounties (in turn-based) by being careful to not use any AOEs that aren't foe-only, but I had to reload multiple times for the Lord Admiral.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

For Lord admiral, as soon as I talk to him the city guards turn hostile. Looks like some lady isn't going to get her justice. But to be fair, lady if you hate pirates so much maybe don't spend your life hanging out in the lounge of a pirate city supermarket

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

That is so odd, I have never ever had guards aggro on me for any reason. I can't even recall there being city guards. The only reason everyone goes berserk on me is when I somehow steal something by misclicking.

Which itself is an RPG tradition that makes total sense, of course. "One of those heavily armored, extremely powerful people who've saved our town half a dozen times just took an apple from a barrel that did not belong to them. CRY HAVOC AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR!"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Wild theory that's probably wrong but maybe it's because I got the bounties before first visiting the city. Guards are all like "no he lives here"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Nah it’s not order dependent. I think you just end up losing minor rep with the VTC if you kill the interlopers in the Berth, at any rate. It’s not like BG where a stray AoE turns the entire town against you

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Best Friends posted:

For Lord admiral, as soon as I talk to him the city guards turn hostile. Looks like some lady isn't going to get her justice. But to be fair, lady if you hate pirates so much maybe don't spend your life hanging out in the lounge of a pirate city supermarket

I've had that bug occur before, though only in turn-based. What ended up working for me was to wait for night, move everyone down to the little dock he's next to, wait for the guards to be roughly out of earshot, and then engage him.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

I've got a turn-based save that just picked up these bounties so I played around with it a bit this evening, but couldn't figure it out. The guards never immediately went red for me, I think the earliest was after my first character's turn. Once they happily patrolled through the battlefield for two rounds until the Adra Mill guard came kramering in from offscreen already hostile. Another time I just passed all my turns and the nearby guards took offence after the first round. A couple of times I did see them flip to red at exactly the same time a nearby civilian gave their 'oh fuuuuck' bark, but I don't know if that's actually relevant :iiam:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Meatgrinder posted:

That is so odd, I have never ever had guards aggro on me for any reason. I can't even recall there being city guards. The only reason everyone goes berserk on me is when I somehow steal something by misclicking.

Which itself is an RPG tradition that makes total sense, of course. "One of those heavily armored, extremely powerful people who've saved our town half a dozen times just took an apple from a barrel that did not belong to them. CRY HAVOC AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR!"

Nothing beats accidentally chunking a peasant in Baldur's Gate and losing your Paladin or Ranger class because of the rep loss

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
First time PoE 1 player, went with cipher for my character. Envisioning a gish type character. Are the weapon proficiencies and fighting style proficiencies worth it? Not sure if sword and shield would be better for survivability or great sword/pike. I’ll second slot a gun for when I don’t want to front line

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Is there a good character creation guide for the current state of the game? A quick :google: turned up a bunch of stuff from soon after it came out, but I know there have been lots of changes including adding turn based mode, so I suspect a lot of the advice for 1.0 is outdated now that we're at 5.0+.

:confused:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

sean10mm posted:

Is there a good character creation guide for the current state of the game? A quick :google: turned up a bunch of stuff from soon after it came out, but I know there have been lots of changes including adding turn based mode, so I suspect a lot of the advice for 1.0 is outdated now that we're at 5.0+.

honestly I havent played in awhile but Paladin and Wizard are top tier classes and Dexterity is a very useful stat for Every Class

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Reinstalled this last night, what are some fun/must have mods for another run?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

FastestGunAlive posted:

First time PoE 1 player, went with cipher for my character. Envisioning a gish type character. Are the weapon proficiencies and fighting style proficiencies worth it? Not sure if sword and shield would be better for survivability or great sword/pike. I’ll second slot a gun for when I don’t want to front line

Sword and buckler can be very good in the late game. Bucklers don’t impede your accuracy with weapons or spells and provide a significant defensive boost, especially a specific unique one late in the game. Early on, sword and board may not be as useful, and, depending on your difficulty setting, you might just want to use a single weapon and not bother with a fighting style talent. Pikes and greatswords are very good too, though, and a pike will probably help you stay alive more in the beginning if you have some sturdy front liners to hide behind. Either fighting style will work well on a cipher. The weapon proficiencies are always helpful, but depending on your stats, difficulty setting and other factors, may not be a huge priority.

sean10mm posted:

There isn’t a really comprehensive character creation guide that I’m aware of, but I never watch guides on youtube and don’t pay attention to what’s posted on Steam. You can think of roughly what type of character you’d like to play, then ask here or even better on the official forums.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

If you try the Obsidian Boards they have a character builds section and at least some of those will be up to date and you'll see people that post there. Can probably search on those of what class you're interested in and find some ideas.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It should be noted that any character build is viable and if you think you need a guide to avoid trap skill/attribute distribution, you don’t. It’s all good. A guide can still be fun just to see what does what, but I’d hate for someone to think it’s needed.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

It should be noted that any character build is viable and if you think you need a guide to avoid trap skill/attribute distribution, you don’t. It’s all good. A guide can still be fun just to see what does what, but I’d hate for someone to think it’s needed.
Can´t really blame people for being vary since this is a genre that traditionally was filled with trap choices and classes that had huge differences in viability in endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

chaosapiant posted:

yeah unless you're on like POTD or doing some iron man thing you can't handicap yourself toooo much. and those latter difficulties are more just trying to gimmick your way through the game

its definitely possible to handicap yourself by building in a wrong direction (like make a straight rogue and dump all your stats but wisdom or whatever etc) but the game will point you where points should go for the most part so you'd have to kind of deliberately build that way