Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I haven't played this game since launch, thinking about doing another run with all the DLCs now. Are there any recommended mods for bugfixing/QOL/balance/whatever?

The second post has some, but it's quite outdated at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

The only one that feels like it should have been part of the base game and that I wouldn't play without is the enhanced UI and tooltip mod. It's listed in the 2nd post.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Plus, if you're cracking to give turn-based mode a shot, there's a console command to switch between turn-based and RTWP and a mod that cuts everyone's HP in half across the board. Both viable options if you're finding turn-based to be a bit slow for your liking.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Purely from a fixing/balance standpoint, I recommend these two
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/335
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/438?tab=description

In particular, Balance Polishing Mod is the much more involved mod that adjusts a few skills, reduces costs on a bunch of overcosted skills, etc. The summon rebalance from that mod is a must-have if you like harder difficulties and use summons - it makes all summons get slightly more damage, armor, and pen as the summoner's power level increases, so they don't get stuck at -3 pen after low levels.

EDIT: As mentioned above, half health mod is a must have for turn-based, completely fixes the drawn out fight problems I had with that mode, I can't recommend it enough
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/418

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Captainicus posted:

Purely from a fixing/balance standpoint, I recommend these two
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/335
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/438?tab=description

In particular, Balance Polishing Mod is the much more involved mod that adjusts a few skills, reduces costs on a bunch of overcosted skills, etc. The summon rebalance from that mod is a must-have if you like harder difficulties and use summons - it makes all summons get slightly more damage, armor, and pen as the summoner's power level increases, so they don't get stuck at -3 pen after low levels.

EDIT: As mentioned above, half health mod is a must have for turn-based, completely fixes the drawn out fight problems I had with that mode, I can't recommend it enough
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/418

These seem pretty cool. I will probably try turn-based mode for this playthrough, and some fights taking too long is definitely my biggest issue with turn-based RPGs in general so I'll make sure to get that mod especially.

Are there any good mods for items, whether rebalance or adding interesting ones, that aren't just overpowered nonsense? Most item-related mods in RPGs tend to devolve into power creep, or perhaps power sprint is more accurate.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/81

This mod adjusts existing unique items to spread them across more weapon types and adds a few to underutilized types. The new weapons all seem fair and reasonably priced from last time I played through the game and had this mod on.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I love Great Maelstrom so much. I start almost all major battles with it. It is the best.

Of course, I have had to bypass a couple of conversations to make use of it. Like Sissak, I decided not to chat with him before lighting him up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captainicus posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/81

This mod adjusts existing unique items to spread them across more weapon types and adds a few to underutilized types. The new weapons all seem fair and reasonably priced from last time I played through the game and had this mod on.

The only one I object to even if it's probably more powerful is Sasha's Singing Stick. The alliteration was so much better with scimitar. If I do another play through I might use this.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Didn't a goon come up with SSS as a backer reward? If so, props on getting a cool weapon in the game that I use in nearly every playthrough.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/417
I enjoy this one that makes all available party member intersections play when applicable instead of just choosing a random one.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/410
I also like this mod that balances out disposition gains with their opposing ones so that you don't end up having both a cruel & benevolent or honest & shady at the same time.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
do effects that trigger on having a knocked-out party member apply when a summon in your party (which is mostly just chanter summons I think?) dies?

Jara
Apr 21, 2021
I have 200+ hours in this game over a bunch of playthroughs and I haven't beaten it yet cus I don't want it to end. I think I'm gonna finally do it for all the Blessings points.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Jara posted:

I have 200+ hours in this game over a bunch of playthroughs and I haven't beaten it yet cus I don't want it to end. I think I'm gonna finally do it for all the Blessings points.

The last island being a like 30 minute affair means this is one of the only games I've beaten multiple times cause might as well do a sick kickflip off of the wheel.
Most games I stop playing halfway through the final story beats on my first play through :v:

fashionly snort posted:

do effects that trigger on having a knocked-out party member apply when a summon in your party (which is mostly just chanter summons I think?) dies?

Pretty sure they don't, but if you wanna be certain respecs are dirt cheap so it's not difficult to try it out.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So, I went down into the Old City without making friends with the Principi and now it seems the only way out is through causing an international incitent at the docks. It's too late for now, but out of interest is there another way through without killing a million dudes?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm having an issue launching the game if I have an override folder in data for some reason. If I move the folder away, launch the game, then move it back in and make sure to load in the mods, it works fine. But if I start the game with override in place, I just get a black screen and (regular non-game) cursor and the game never loads. Is there a known solution to this that isn't tediously moving override every launch or just playing without any mods?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

multijoe posted:

So, I went down into the Old City without making friends with the Principi and now it seems the only way out is through causing an international incitent at the docks. It's too late for now, but out of interest is there another way through without killing a million dudes?

If you don't rest down there, they don't bring the platform back up.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

multijoe posted:

Yes but you need to be able to sneak a character to Mad Morena and pass a dialogue check (probably streetwise). You can also take the boat out I think? There's a skiff somewhere but you might have to do something to get it to appear (but on the plus side you don't need your entire party there to leave)

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

multijoe posted:

Yup, there's a sneaky way out through the pirate cove, not far from where you exit the Old City. Sneak and highlight objects and you'll see it. Depending on other things you've done or not done there might still be a single fight waiting for you when you enter Delver's Row from there, though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ah well you live and you learn, or in their case, not

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

multijoe posted:

Ah well you live and you learn, or in their case, not

If the pirates are dead or friendly a thorough exploration will also turn up another way out that does not involve Delver's Row, but links straight to the harbor district.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Meatgrinder posted:

If the pirates are dead or friendly a thorough exploration will also turn up another way out that does not involve Delver's Row, but links straight to the harbor district.

Yeah that's how I got out eventually, but the Principi still loving hate me now from all the trash mobs I killed getting to the boat

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm having an issue launching the game if I have an override folder in data for some reason. If I move the folder away, launch the game, then move it back in and make sure to load in the mods, it works fine. But if I start the game with override in place, I just get a black screen and (regular non-game) cursor and the game never loads. Is there a known solution to this that isn't tediously moving override every launch or just playing without any mods?

It's possibly one of the mods causing the issue, somehow. Does the game launch if you have a completely blank override folder? If so, try loading mods in one at a time until you get to the one that's screwing things up

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

You don't have no damage close to board still installed do you? That started causing problems for me after it was patched into the main game

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I grabbed community patch/balance polishing - apparently there is an issue that could potentially cause similar with the community patch, but it wasn't the culprit. And then I have a bunch of random ones like half hp, everyone's two cents, a couple random QOL/fix ones like unlocked backgrounds and legacy creation additions, and a minor item mod adding some trinkets.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I had a blackscreen on launch problem because I was missing a mod dependency, once. I had removed 'rogue tweaks and subclasses' but forgot to remove 'range 20 surprise attack' which depended on rogue tweaks and subclasses. Once I removed it, things were back to normal. My first guess would be you have something that is missing a dependency, it might be worth checking if one of your mods was a patch that relied on something else.

I know this is pretty surface level stuff but I figured I should mention it just in case.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I was sure I'd pinned it down as the balance polishing summon rebalance mod, as it started working when I removed the different balance polishing mods and I kept putting them back until it was the last one left. But then I put that one back too and now it just works with all my mods?? I don't get it.

E: Like the balance polish and community patch were the last I was trying because they have dependencies that I didn't want to mess with first, and removing any of my other mods the game still would not start. Then I removed all the balance mods and it started fine. Now I've put them all back one by one and it still starts fine even having all the mods in override again.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Insurrectionist posted:

I was sure I'd pinned it down as the balance polishing summon rebalance mod, as it started working when I removed the different balance polishing mods and I kept putting them back until it was the last one left. But then I put that one back too and now it just works with all my mods?? I don't get it.

E: Like the balance polish and community patch were the last I was trying because they have dependencies that I didn't want to mess with first, and removing any of my other mods the game still would not start. Then I removed all the balance mods and it started fine. Now I've put them all back one by one and it still starts fine even having all the mods in override again.

This gives me flashbacks from another game...

:xcom:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

Huh, that's really weird. I'm using balance polishing and summon rebalance and community patch and unity console (and a ton of other minor mods) and I've never had that much strangeness. Glad that it seems to be working for you now, though.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/471
Unrelated to that, this is another mod I've just been trying this playthrough and I think it is quite interesting to use even if it is a definite power boost. Good for experimenting when you're returning to the game for the third+ time. Fun for me to use my consumables once per battle, pretty much. I'm not using it with Rymyrgand Complete Food Challenge because I dislike the inventory spoilage time management but instead limiting myself to 'rest when on the ship/in town' only. Would recommend if you ever wanted to look at your scroll/bomb/potion crafting menu and make a few things (maybe you do that already, I never did and just used what I scooped up off the ground).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilitarist posted:

I think no one denies the existence of any of the gods. People continued worshipping Eothas while he was in rehab. It's like brand loyalty, you worship Coca Cola and think it's better than Pepsi but you still acknowledge Pepsi is a drink.

Some people did. But that was before the incident :v:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
drat, I dunno if the mods I use made a difference (besides the half-hp one) but the young drake fight at the engwithan digsite on veteran/hard difficulty was so hard with just a party of three level 3 characters, especially as my MC was pretty squishy and had no AoE capabilities. I had to basically retreat to a narrower ramp, clump all the panthers + drake at the bottom and spam stun bombs and cinder bombs and hope the drake didn't spew fire basically ever because it would oneshot my MC/Xoti most of the time. Took me a good few reloads. No other fight has given my any real issue so far so it was a real eye-opener!

E: Also, how does action speed work with turn-based combat? Do you just never get extra actions or what? I remember it being pretty broken in RTWP mode, but in comparison it feels useless here since it feels like it only gives initiative and I end up waiting with my turn like 60% of the time anyway to let enemies get closer/chain actions together.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 12, 2021

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I forgot how difficult the first dig site fight is on PotD. Two elite boar that hit like trucks, something like 4 or 5 wyrmlings, and 3 or so young boars. You can't split them by pulling, and I don't think you can bypass them. And then when you get into the dig site proper, packs are actually manageable and enjoyable.

I don't mean to complain, because it is PotD, but that seems a little bit oddly balanced. Jut remove one elite boar and a couple of wyrmlings. I could have done some quests in Port Maje to get one more level (I did this at level 3), but I think by design you're supposed to be able to beat the Critical Path, without cheesing nor doing extra quests. I did win after 4 or 5 attempts, I simply pulled them as far as I could and they somehow came in waves that made it manageable (the burst DPS the pack does is just impossible to absorb at that level, you run out of protection spells eventually). Fix your game Josh, you No Fun Loving beautiful bastard.

On a different topic, does the increased Action Speed when using Two Weapons Style work for spells too? For the Psion/Troubadour build, who does use two weapons, would that make her cast spells/recover faster?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Insurrectionist posted:

I had to basically retreat to a narrower ramp, clump all the panthers + drake at the bottom and spam stun bombs and cinder bombs and hope the drake didn't spew fire basically together.

Tactical positioning, using every item at your disposal, and a good old prayer to Berath are all very valid combat tactics. :colbert:

Good job! This fight is very difficult. That's why you can skip it altogether by sneaking past :)

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Having an Ancient Druid with the Charm spell makes that fight much more survivable.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Engwithan dig site is legit one of the hardest battles in the game on higher difficulties, because you’re coming at it with a real limited arsenal.

Action speed is straight translated to Initiative in turn-based, so its only effect is letting you act before some enemies. It’s the starkest balance difference between TB and RTWP modes, the second being duration bonuses having strict cutoff points rather than incremental increases.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I was like 150 xp off level 4 when I did that fight, I imagine the extra level would have gone a long way. But I didn't want to leave the area and search for more stuff to do.

E: As for turn-based, I kinda like it in a lot of ways but yeah action speed is not translated very well. It would probably have worked a lot better with an action-queue type system rather than strictly round-based. And the binary duration stuff is honestly worse I think, it seems to translate extremely badly to turn-based thus far. At least speed apparently makes your casts happen faster and lets you throw on heavier armor while still getting good initiative giving you some kind of benefit. Not hitting the breakpoint for extra round of duration though? Get hosed lol.

E2: Although, if you never get extra attacks based on speed or the like, won't all damage-dealing characters just want to focus purely on might and intellect for damage to make the most of each turn? And I guess some perception to not miss, but like, completely removing dex scaling from damage calculation seems like a pretty huge balance change.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 12, 2021

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I remember in a stream Rope Kid mentioned, when asked, that the strictly round-based system was implemented because of limitations, not because the designers felt that it was the best way to translate the systems to turn-based.

That said, I guess there wasn't enough time to come up with a solution to the balance before the patch cycle was over, because otherwise I'd have expected Obsidian to at least try something else to offset how Dexterity was debuffed in turn-based.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Guess I'm just glad I didn't make my rogue/cipher dex-focused, although I probably would have shaved off a couple points still if I knew how it worked with turn-based.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What makes a priest of Skaen so powerful that it seems almost a staple to deal with balls-to-the-wall difficulty levels?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mans posted:

What makes a priest of Skaen so powerful that it seems almost a staple to deal with balls-to-the-wall difficulty levels?

Access to rogue skills that give very nice defenses and invisibility, access to withdraw, and access to salvation of time. All you "need" then is brilliance.

It's less the difficulty and more the specifics of the challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Furism posted:

I forgot how difficult the first dig site fight is on PotD. Two elite boar that hit like trucks, something like 4 or 5 wyrmlings, and 3 or so young boars. You can't split them by pulling, and I don't think you can bypass them. And then when you get into the dig site proper, packs are actually manageable and enjoyable.

I don't mean to complain, because it is PotD, but that seems a little bit oddly balanced. Jut remove one elite boar and a couple of wyrmlings. I could have done some quests in Port Maje to get one more level (I did this at level 3), but I think by design you're supposed to be able to beat the Critical Path, without cheesing nor doing extra quests. I did win after 4 or 5 attempts, I simply pulled them as far as I could and they somehow came in waves that made it manageable (the burst DPS the pack does is just impossible to absorb at that level, you run out of protection spells eventually). Fix your game Josh, you No Fun Loving beautiful bastard.

On a different topic, does the increased Action Speed when using Two Weapons Style work for spells too? For the Psion/Troubadour build, who does use two weapons, would that make her cast spells/recover faster?

Yeah you can bypass the drake + panther fight but the boars might be impossible to skip? I usually don’t have a problem with it as long as I can pull them back to a choke point and take the boars one at a time (usually while taking down the wyrmlings with range+summons)

But also the dig site fights on potd are just incredibly party composition dependent (which is appropriate for potd tbh)