Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Just got this, leaning towards a Trickster/Helwalker multi. In theory the illusion buffs will keep the wound penalty from getting me smooshed, while the Helwalker bonuses will make the Trickster buffs/debuffs last longer and add some appreciable damage. Does this sound right, or do Helwalkers need to be paired with ranged classes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

imo 99% of fantasy games are about becoming more powerful than God, and then killing God. Whether or not PoE2 needed to work harder to subvert or disabuse players of their expectations that they brought to this game, from other games, is a separate question from "where would players get the expectation that they could kill a god?"

edit: im on my way out the door so i cant pull up more specific examples but i think the comparison isn't between poe1 and poe2, strictly, or even crpgs vs crpgs - it's all popular games that have a storyline in which God is confronted/gods are involved. i'd say in the vaaaast majority of those stories you end up fighting and killing god. nier, bayonetta, god of war. the elder scroll games are all about becoming more powerful than god. in assassin's creed you punch a pope, which doesnt support my argument but is funny to remember. dragon age you kill several gods iirc. i don't understand the storyline of dark souls or bloodbourne but i assume that gods are killed, for their souls. anyway all i'm saying is in most modern fantasy storytelling, putting a huge most powerful figure in front of player usually means that you challenge that figure in combat. its pretty rare for a game to say "actually, no, that God really is gonna gently caress up your poo poo."

Fair enough, but as a counterpoint: sooner or later God'll cut you down.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

hmm well I'd say I'm real-time conservative but with pause very liberal. the action is bad, but the pauses... the pauses are very good

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

Fair, but there's something to be said for the solution to fighter/wizard imbalance being making fighters into mini-wizards rather than wizards into mini-fighters.

Have you tried Tyranny? There's no extensive buff/debuff system, and the only difference between fighters and wizards is the unique passives each character gets. Which is admittedly significant, but it won't prevent you from turning Barik into a full mage if you really want.

That said, I found the whole thing so simplified combat was pointless. Most fights came down to dropping a bunch of AoE nukes then letting your fighters clean up.

vvvv Oh yeah, it's not a bad game, but I grew up on Baldur's Gate and Wizardry so while I appreciate modern streamlining, I found this case to be too much.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 16, 2018

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

My favored approach is to make the stat names completely abstract, like in the tabletop RPG Apocalypse World, where the stats are Cool, Hot, Hard, Sharp and Weird. Once you're out of the realm of physically measurable qualities you can make them mean whatever you want them to mean.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Chris Avellone is a pedestrian writer and anyone defending him as some unfathomable genius really, really needs to read more non-video game fiction.

He's not terrible or anything, but the way he gets held up in the industry you'd think he was Faulkner.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Raygereio posted:

I've played tabletop dungeon crawlers for almost 20 years and never used the lame "enter new room - search for traps - enter new room - repeat" routine in my own games. And none of my players ever thought of it as something other then a dungeon crawler.

Traps don't define a dungeon crawler. In the same way that vancian spellcasting doesn't define a wizard. We survived spells being changed to per-encounter. We'll survive the removal of traps as a pointless skill-tax. Traps as puzzles or setpieces are cool though and can add something to the game.

I don't have as much experience, but this is definitely true. Similar to how the best traps in these games are the scripted/CYOA ones, the best tabletop traps aren't "depression tile that opens a spike pit" they're "weird statuette that shoots fireballs, and rather than disarm it the party pries the thing loose and rigs up a primitive bazooka." Sadly, the latter kind of outside-the-box thinking really isn't possible in a CRPG.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Is there a good "middle-of-the-road" level of deflection that will mainly result in grazes/hits without generating tons of misses? I'm building a Fire Godlike Berserker/Darcozzi Paladini with the aim of stacking heavy armor and Barbarian armor talents, then wading into melee to have my fireshield/racial ability/whatever other retaliation I dig up supplement my (as fire-based as possible) melee damage.

Ideally i want to get hit a bunch to trigger the retaliations, but not so much I drop in an instant.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Hail Abydon, bitches. We replaced Skaen with this newfangled falling blade.

If Pillars 3's god-plot is helping Abydon build the God Cleaver and getting Woedica's bitch-rear end neck in that thing, I'll buy three copies.

Skaen goes on too, he's totally a cop posing as an anarchist.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

My Furyshaper/Priest of Wael is going well so far. Rage, sit through the agonizingly long cast time for a buff, by then the battle lines are drawn and I can drop a well-placed action speed totem, quickly throw up a defensive illusion and wade into the melee.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

andrew smash posted:

It's fresh fruit, Michael. What could it cost, twelve coppers?

You've... never been to the Gullet, have you?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

No Pants posted:

He promises a reward if you talk to him before you start touching the balls.

I mean, that's just the gentlemanly thing to do.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Considering Tyranny is an EPIC GAME about EPIC STRUGGLES and LARGER THAN LIFE ABILITIES, I actually think it'd have benefited from more simplified but spectacular combat.

More spectacular, sure, but I don't think it could get any simpler. The spellmaking system was a bandaid over the fact that the actual mechanics had zero depth to them.

Turn-based would be a big improvement there, it would have worked better as an XCom-esque gam with fewer abilities that had a larger impact.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

Yeah, IMO the racial level limits don't really balance multiclassing so much as they punish non-standard characters.

Plus humans can dual-class their way to Phenomenal Cosmic Power just fine in the games and they never had racial level limits on tabletop.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Nasgate posted:

I'm just glad they let me be a dick to the God's now that my character knows what's up. Yeah I'm talking about you Galawain you petty child.

Hey now, Galawain's a great god. For a clown to worship. At the circus.

But yeah, PoE2 does a great job balancing "you know these morons are a bunch of frauds" with "but they are still very, very powerful frauds." Kind of like real-world billionaires, if you think about it.

And now I'm sad.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Attrition is a great mechanic if done well - Slay the Spire is an amazing game, and a large part of that is the focus around balancing your deck's future potential against its ability to survive long enough to get there. Also, your primary source of healing comes at the cost of powering up your cards, which makes for a fun (if sometimes agonizing) decision against whether it's worth taking extra Elites (minibosses that drop special items in addition to cards) at the risk of "wasting" more campfires on heals.

That said, I think Deadfire is better for ditching attrition. This lets the designers minimize trash fights, and force you to use your consumables this moment to survive rather than keep on trucking. Something like Kingmaker is designed around dungeon dives and attrition and that's awesome, but fun piratey adventures are better off without it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

ilitarist posted:

This talk about numbers made me wonder. How was it in older RPGs? I'm eyeing Bards Tale trilogy remaster and wonder if the gameplay holds up. Is it just grind till you get the right level and equipment and go to next level, or was there more to it?

The original Bard's Tale trilogy is extremely primitive, and is 100% grinding for levels/spells to dive deeper into the dungeon. I haven't played the remakes, so they might have made things more interesting, but the originals didn't have much depth to the combat.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

Durance and GM were written for a more Torment-style game (as per Kickstarter fluff) where characters' psychodrama was more integral to the game experience. The game ended up going in a different direction but for whatever reason no one got around to editing Durance and GM down to size, so they're both very wordy.

GM has a memory minigame that requires you to read a lot of descriptive writing to progress her quest.

Durance is written to be unpleasant and semi-hostile to the player. Both characters essentially have a personality disorder and don't fit neatly into the friendship simulator.

Both characters were written by Chris Avellone, who has a big rep as a videogames writer but also wrote Kreia (another magnet for ill will) and said nasty things about Obsidian, the thread's preferred RPG company.

The use of past tense here isn't accurate. If he said nasty things about Obsidian right after he left, I'd be sympathetic. In fact I was! You know, several years ago, when he first split.

The thing is he hasn't stopped, and at this point it's less "pointing out legitimate problems with Obsidian's management" and more "desperately doing what he can to take the spotlight and point out what a terribly persecuted genius he is."

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

User posted:

It's not murder when they have loot you need or are in the way of you getting it.

Which investment bank do you head up? I've got some amazingly disruptive ideas, but I'm short on capital...

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

In deadfire you can customize the ai so that they won't use wound cost abilities if you want to store them up. Helwalker is tough though because you really want to pair them with a defensive class like fighter or paladin to offset the extra damage they'll be taking but then you lose out on the high level monk abilities. I've seen people say ranged weapon helwalker is good so that's another option I guess.

I've been having fun with a Helwalker/Priest of Wael. Turn on Dance of Death, buff the party while the wounds build up, and when you wade into the fray most enemies will already be distracted and your Wael defenses protect you against the one or two that peel off.

Still probably a weaker combatant than pure Monk, but stronger where it really matters: class-based conversation options. :v:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

pentyne posted:

Disappointing sign of the times, but after being out for 1+ years I had assumed the FAQ community would've written guides and such for the game. Turns out the only thing on gamefaqs is a long winded explanation of the game mechanics and the Steam page only has 1 "walkthrough" that is a bunch of links to YT videos in sequential order and 10+ possible POTD builds.

Not the worst thing, but I remember back when any major RPG 1-2 years in would have 4-5 different complete walkthroughs, item lists, party member guides etc. Times really are changing. That or gamefaqs is an aging dinosaur that has been passed by.

It's worth noting that the Gamefaqs guide is long winded in general, but the individual class breakdowns are digestible looks at the pros and cons of the subclasses and some standout abilities.

ProfessorCirno posted:

A lot of those older games are in an odd place; they're old enough that they *had* a lot of really good resources for it...and they're old enough that a lot of those resources have just slowly faded off the internet since.

Like one of the best resources for Wizardry 8 and the last three Might and Magics are all recovered sites because the person who made and managed them died ten years ago.

Can't believe it's been that long. RIP Flamestryke/Lana. :(

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Agnosticnixie posted:

Not just multiclassing, a whole lot of the system rework feels like a weird attempt to reinvent the wheel that was likely time-consuming for not that much (but I'm not sure it was harder to balance than the free for all of talents in 1, considering a hell of a lot of the build flexibility in the 1st game got axed for multiclassing which basically ends up feeling like a whole lot of effort for a somewhat inferior take on what already existed)

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but didn't build flexibility in the first game boil down to "pick the bonus elemental damage feat that supports the damage type you do most?" The universal talents were all nickle-and-dime garbage you never spent a valuable talent point on or universally good for all characters in a broad archetype, like the baby sneak attack for physical damage dealers.

Whereas multiclasses enable a ton of diversity - Sage, Contemplative and Shadowdancer all include Monk abilities, but they all play very differently from each other. Hell, even different Sages can create massively different builds: a Helwalker/Evoker wants to boost their power level for hellacious nukes, while a Nalpazca/Wizard wants to stack action speed and spam AoE Skyward Kicks.

Build diversity is one of the best features of this game, imho.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 28, 2019

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Re: class stuff. I miss having ranged talents on other classes

This I'll give you, Rangers were the weakest class design-wise and it's a shame that they stole all the ranged stuff. Spreading around a couple generic ranged talents and maybe giving the other martial classes one or two unique ranged passives would have been cool.

Also I generally prefer RtwP over turn-based unless you're getting down in the weeds with cover mechanics ala X-com or massive buff/debuff-fests like SMT. However I am a broke-brained weirdo so my approval is probably not something game makers should look for.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

DoubleDonut posted:

Specifically I am thinking of some of the random fights in BG2 where I just do not care enough to cast any spells so I turn the AI on and wait for Minsc and Mazzy to just attack the enemies until they are dead

My understanding is also that BG1 and 2 just don't give casters access to some of the craziest poo poo from the tabletop game (I have no experience with AD&D outside of the Infinity Engine games)

This is the BG games' big advantage, yes. Off the top of my head, AD&D had spells that can:

-Tell you where anyone or anything is in the world
-Teleport the party there instantly
-Turn into a dragon or demigod, complete with all their special abilities
-Create a no-poo poo clone of anyone
-(Limited) Wish let you do just about anything with the only restriction being the GM told to evil genie improperly worded wishes

There was probably worse out there too, I only got into AD&D for a little bit.

Then 3/3.5 made this worse by inflating hitpoint values (making save or suck spells king), introducing concentration (making it easier for wizards to cast even when taking damage) and nerfing fighters' saving throws (in AD&D fighters are actually fairly resilient against non-damaging magic).

E: Oh yeah, I forgot another obvious one: casters can start flying at a relatively low level, completely taking them out of dangerous melee in all but the most cramped dungeons.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 30, 2019

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

My Fighter picks up a conveniently located boulder and throws it into the enemy group for 6D6 damage in a 10 foot radius or whatever. Fear my arcane might.

Oh yeah!

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 31, 2019

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

4e. It's also the one where you can shout severed arms back on (which unironically rules).

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

should i make a shapeshifter druid/barbarian, that seems dumb and amusing

Yes, there was a recent thread on the official forums about how this combo is actually legit! You cast your Druid DoTs before shifting, and when an enemy dies to them they trigger the Barbarian's many "on kill" passives to turn you into a furry blender.

If you go Berserker you can stack silly amounts of armor while shifted, though you have to figure out a way to deal with the confusion.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

You may also consider swapping your party as you go. The new characters (minus Xoti, plus Pallegina) are all tied to the game's major factions and have a ton of reactivity when brought on to their factions' quests. Xoti, Eder and Aloth also get plenty of lines, even if they're not quite as talkative about a particular faction.

You can swap your party from your ship whenever you feel like it, so it's easy to have the Watcher, your three favorite characters and a floating fifth slot for whoever seems like they'd be interested in whatever you're doing.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The 3D Might & Magic games do this the right way by just shrugging their shoulders and saying, "Okay, cool, you're max level, feel free to literally fly around the map and drop meteor storms on swarms of dragons and giants from a safe distance. While you're at it, grab these laser guns that do exactly what you'd expect a scifi weapon to do to enemies in a setting where swords are high technology."

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Furism posted:

People would say it's a rip-off of Witcher, wouldn't they.

Toss a coin to your Edér, oh please don't pet Orlans

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Skaen is pretty much a cop who infiltrates revolutionary organizations and goes all, "Hey, this movement building and organizing poo poo is boring and not producing immediate results. How about we start chucking molotovs instead?"

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I'm a huge fan of War Callers, the Fighter/Chanter multi. There's two ways I've tried it:

Troubador/Blackjacket: Debuffing machine. Turn on Brisk Recitation and spam Ben Fidel's Neck Was Exposed for -10 to all defenses, stacking with the modals on club/flail/morningstar. Which is why you went Blackjacket, so you can switch up weapons based on what defense you want to target. Goes particularly nice with the Willlbreaker morningstar due to very high uptime on Resolve afflictions. Brisk Recitation means you can add some variety to your invocations.

Skald/Devoted: Crit fishing machine. Cheap At The Sound of His Voices give you more crits, which fuel more cheap At The Sound of His Voices. Devoted's bonus critical damage is very nice here as well. Sasha's Singing Scimitar is a good weapon, as well as anything with +accuracy.

e: Also the various Fighter passives and Refreshing Defenses make both these builds fairly tanky, so they're great at reciting offensive phrases in the middle of blobs of enemies.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 10, 2020

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

How are u posted:

I don't really see why I'd play any type of Chanter other than Troubador. The flexibility and control the kit offers is superb. You can spam spells ridiculously quickly, and for fights where it actually is important you can layer your best protective chants in a way no other kit can match.

Troubador/Blackjacket is my favorite build and a wonderful support tank. The main focus is decimating enemy defenses: swap to the weapon that debuffs the one you're targeting (club/flail/morningstar for will/reflex/fort) and spam Ben Fidel's Neck Was Exposed for -25 to the targeted defense. Other subclasses work, but Troubador's versatility and Blackjacket's fast swap/extra slot makes it the best for this imo.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

netcat posted:

I'm doing a high int barbarian playthrough of PoE1 and I kind of want to combine that with a caster in 2. Are there any synergies between wizard and barb at all?

Wizard was covered but Druid works as well, cast the AoE DoTs then wade into melee where they will tick down and trigger the on-kill passives from the Barb side to turn you into a blender.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I'd also recommend the Community Patch, which is a bunch of bug fixes and mostly smaller tweaks than the balance patch. It focuses more on increasing durations/damage rather than reducing costs:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/335/

Not sure if they're compatible; this one doesn't buff summons at all so if you're into that you may prefer the balance patch.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Planning another run and torn between two builds:

Forbidden Fist/(Trickster or Ascendant): Basically, I want to abuse enfeeble, so I'll be going high int despite the downsides. Trickster should make for a great deflection tank and add in various rogue DoTs and a long-lasting Terrified. Ascendant would be much squishier, but offer long-lasting charms and big Disintegrates. Either way I want to use weapons with Afflictions like Griffon's Bade and that one stacking DoT rapier to play into the theme.

Blood Mage/(Arcane Archer or Ghost Heart): Minor Blights is a neat spell, so I want to make a build around it. Driving flight and high accuracy should do the trick, especially with an Essential Phantasm joining in. Arcane Archer seems optimal because Blights ignore the biggest malus and I can use Bond for Eoras and Webs, but Ghost Heart is less fiddly and offers more flexibility with non-Blight weapons.

Any thoughts?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

IIRC one of the latest Spiderweb Software games, Queen's Wish, has dungeons completely repopulate when you leave to rest. Makes no sense from a verisimilitude perspective, but seems neat from a resource-focused gameplay perspective.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Pilchenstein posted:

I think this is absolutely true or Baldur's Gate wouldn't be popular :v:

BG2 didn't need good writing because David Warner's delivery made every one of Irenicus' lines sublime. Like, he was a pretty generic evil wizard all told but the way his voice oozed malice made him seem so much cooler.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Yeah Neri-whatever is odd in that she kicks the poo poo out of you the first time you meet her then after you realize her giant glowing weak point is interrupts she's one of the easiest major encounters in all the DLCs. I lost count of the reloads against her on my first playthrough and she was barely a speedbump on the second.

She feels like she could have been an early-game boss in that she does a great job teaching you that interrupts are really, really good. Then again an insane caster on the first island or early in Neketaka would probably turn more people off than it would help and she serves the same role in prepping you for how much harder the DLC is than the base game so it works out in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

From what I remember reading Avellone wrote way too much material for Durance as well and it had to be heavily edited down. It's interesting that he turned out as well as he did given that. I wonder what was cut.

Speaking as a professional editor, it is far, far easier to edit down a massive pile of text into something readable than it is to fix something that's already the right size but has other problems. You can fairly easily boil it down to the essentials by mercilessly cutting away parts that don't work, provided you're willing to put your foot down and tell the writer to gently caress off if they complain. Which a good editor should be.