Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

AngryBooch posted:

I'm planning on going super wizard heavy. Wizard PC, Aloth as a rogue/wizard, and Maia as a Ranger/Wizard. Binding Web cast speed is 0.5 seconds, looks like an excellent way to start off combat. With the programmable AI, I can just have Maia start off combat with Merciless Gaze, Infuse with Vital Essence, and some other instant buff before opening up with a gun.

But gently caress, all of a sudden a single class Stalker melee Ranger is appealing to me.

I'm kinda leaning towards making my imported Priest a Priest/Wizard multi. Aloth I'll probably keep single class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

My problem was that scrolls were so useful I used all my slots for them and frequently didn't bother with potions.

Like I could use a slot to carry a buff for a single character or one that has a buff for the entire party. Sure an individual potion may be more potent to better for a particular scenario but just in general it was so much more useful to pack everyone with scrolls.

My problem with potions is interrupts made them extremely annoying to get off in big fights in Poe1. It often felt like a waste of time when I could get off an ability or fast cast spell instead of dealing with a potion that might get interrupted.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Furism posted:

The game releases in less than 24 hours (and I can't play it for 5 more days anyway) but I still don't know which of my character I'll do my first run with. I think my Dwarf Barbarian, this time multiclassed Fighter/Barbarian. Do we know if it's still very easy to respec (not change classes, just the abilities and maybe attributes) as it was in PoE1? Because I couldn't find any way to do it in the beta.

Now that I found out you can make your class from scratch even with an imported save I truly don't know what I'm going to play. My main save for Poe2 was a Priest, but if I can just pick whatever on import I might be...anything. gently caress.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ChiTownEddie posted:

I know you guys are in full omgdeadfire mode, but can anyone recommend a character or two for PoE1 that is "just plain fun"? I completely forgot about these games and am going to play through PoE1 now (takes me a while to finish games) so I'll be able to get on Deadfire in the fall. I'll probably just be on normal and am curious what the cool/fun setups are.

It really depends what you wanna do.

If you like casters:

Priests - Can be boring if you use them just as buff bots, but they have a ton of offensive potential as well with spells like shining beacon, cleansing flame, etc. Generally you're gonna wanna buff first in combat and then unleash hell though, so if you dont like the buffing part, maybe skip them.

Wizards - Awesome CC, great damage. You can even build them as melee casters if you want as their melee summoning spells are fantastic.

Cipher - Charming/paralyzing poo poo is their most powerful thing.

Druid - Turn into an animal once per fight and have the absolute best single target DPS in the game while you do so. When you're not shifted, get ton of great AOE damage/cc spells.

Chanter - A passive playstyle where you just pick their chants and maybe occasionally cast an invocation. Their level 9 chant Dragon Thrashed is game breakingly powerful. If you set your Chanter to just chant that, he'll be the best member of your party even if you never have him use invocations or do anything else.

Melees:

Fighter - Great single target dps, not a lot of exciting active abilities though. Pick this class if you like strong passive single target damage but don't care about micro.

Paladin - Great burst dps, poor sustained dps. Great utility/tanking ability.

Monk - Great burst damage, great sustained damage, great survivability. Monks are just an amazing class in Poe1. Everything you'd want a melee class to do (cc, dmg, etc) they do well.

Barbarian - Strong aoe damage

Rogue - Great single target damage, but extremely fragile. Probably the weakest class in Poe1 because of that. Still playable though.

Ranger - Awesome single target dps between Pet/Ranger.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

Everyone always raves about the endgame Nihilist option, but honestly, the funniest one comes right at the start when Calisca asks you why you stopped being a philosopher and you get to respond with, "Believing in nothing turned out to be extremely boring."

I also like when she asks you why you came to the Dyrwood and you can respond: "Why do anything?" and then she gets annoyed and says oh no I'm not going down the troll rabbithole with you.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I can't decide at all what I want to play. The ability to choose a new class when importing a save has thrown me for a loop :negative:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Are you saying you added the Nihilist Arbys background for Poe2?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Shoulda ptoed today. Still have work to do fslfs. I'll get that DL started though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dairy Power posted:

I legit considered finally getting an SSD in case the loading times in this game were as bad as first Pillars. I probably should have just done it anyway.

You really should. SSDs will change your life. Better gaming performance, your computer boots up literally instantly, and just better performance in general.

My only complaint with them is smaller disk space unless you splurge and buy a big one. I put a 500gb SSD in my new computer but that's not huge and I have to install some games to my external. Still for most games I put them on the SSD and it does help. You can get an SSD bigger than I did but they're expensive the higher you go in space obviously.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Bout to launch this mofo and do a priest/wizard multi baldur's gate style. I'll see if it has the same problem high level c/ms had in Bg (missing cool af high level poo poo).

Don't much care about optimization on my initial run though. Plenty of time to sperg on subsequent runs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I laughed

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Graphics are very pretty in this. And the whole movement/combat system feels smoother than Poe1 so far.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is it just me or is the staff modal really good? +20 deflection vs melee weps seems really nice. My Thamaturge is using that plus Concelhaut's Staff a lot and doin well so far on potd.

First area though and I expect to get rolled soon

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Chadzok posted:

Envious of people stuck on character creation.. I can't even decide on difficulty and level scaling. Can I change them later on if things get too easy/hard?

I think for any difficulty short of POTD you can, but I believe POTD is locked in if you choose it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I just picked up Xoti and created a Ranger hireling at the first town. Game seems pretty good so far. Interested to see how my Thaumaturge (Wizard/Priest) plays out. I imagine single class casters are stronger. Some of the high level stuff looks pretty good. I'm keeping Xoti single class. Eder is Rogue/Fighter. My Ranger hireling is single class Sharpshooter. I'll probably multi most of the melee npcs to start but keep the casters mostly pure apart from my pc of course.

Holy Radiance still owns. Those skeletons in the first cave actually hit Eder for good damage on POTD but I melted them with radiance.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Clever Spambot posted:

If you go into that cave with only leather armor those gun skeletons can gently caress you up.

Eder was getting hosed up with his Saints War armor on but I am on POTD.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

AngryBooch posted:

Is there a reliable conditional to set in the AI scripting to just... cast this spell at the beginning of combat? Am I totally glazing over that conditional on the list?

I need to sit down and try to figure that out myself. So far I've just given them the premade profiles but they often don't seem to do poo poo at the start of combat with those like I'd like them to. And they don't always focus fire targets either. My Thaumaturge is doing pretty well so far though. Utility out the rear end with all the spells. Very much akin to a Cleric/Mage from Baldur's Gate in that you get a lot of utility but aren't quite as powerful individually as your single class counterparts. I made a companion Sharpshooter and Rangers definitely still seem pretty good.

I'm impressed by some of the dialogue checks. I don't know if they did this for every race but me being a Godlike has come up quite a lot so far and I'm still in the first areas. Me being an Eothasian has come up a little less often so far. I was slightly disappointed I couldn't bring up to Eothas that I'm one of his priests. Maybe it will come up later. I think there was a dialogue option or two in the initial convo with Xoti though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Traxis posted:

Does two handed style affect arquebus damage?

I'm not sure. Guns have their own talent (Gunner) which lowers reload times. So maybe not?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Got facerolled a few times by a party of Xaurips with a Drake. They kept bumrushing my Thaumaturge. Managed it with some Poe1 style monster targeting confusion though. Wanna zerg my squishy? That's fine I'll just cast withdraw on myself and then pop out of that and wreck house when you aren't ready for it :colbert:.

Been using Miasma of Dullmindedness with Aloth. -10 to stats like per seems pretty huge.

e: I wonder, will it be possible to download AI scripts down the road? I've put together some for my companions but I don't like spending hours fiddling with it. But the default ones don't always quite fit what I want.

Also this overland map reminds me a lot of the NWN2 expansion Storm of Zehir.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 10, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno posted:

Gotta admit, wasn't expecting Xoti to be a vaguely southern death cultist.

Well Readceras is basically the South so it kinda makes sense.

My nice guy Eothasian isn't gonna pick this option but lol:

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 10, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Inverness posted:

This is a bug. Reload then accept the offer for him to join immediately as soon as it is available. If you don't this can happen.

It's also possible you're at max party size already. You can only have 5 at a time so if you made a hireling Serafen will still be in the party but you'll have to swap him in for one of your party members at an inn.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Yeah maybe I'll do that one. If the level scaling makes a meaningful difference, then maybe that'll help me keep things from being too easy as I go. I'm not going to intentionally use weak builds, but I'm also not willing to ultra-min-max (though I have no idea if PotD would really require that anyway).

Potd didn't really require min maxing in #1. I doubt it does here.

I've been playing on Potd with level scaling without much consideration to min maxing and I'm doing ok so far. I did wipe once against a group of Xaurips + a drake. They kept beelining towards my squishy wizard/priest PC but I finally got around that by abusing Withdraw so they'd target someone else in true Poe1 fashion.

I'm sure it will get harder the farther I get though. I'm only level 5 and just got to the big city.

Also I have no idea how the hell ship combat works. I think my eyes glazed over on the tutorial and then I just started spamming buttons in the actual combat. I guess I did something right because I eventually sunk the enemy ship.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The more I play the more I think ultra min maxing is probably deprecated now. The fights are more complex and so is the AI and there are a lot of heavy-damage attackers, so making a pure glass cannon is not really what you want. During the beta I was going down to 5/5 con/resolve and at release I went 7 con / 5 resolve and I think next run I''m only gonna go down to 7/7.

edit: the weapon switching is another reason, you need Crushing damage fairly often. I find myself getting a *lot* of use out of my quarterstaff, even on my gun cipher.

Speaking of, one minor annoyance: for some reason the game keeps forgetting that my Cipher has Arms Bearer and de-equipping said quarterstaff so I find myself in literal fisticuffs

The ai seems to enjoy beelining towards squishies which is hard to deal with given the smaller party size. CC and positioning are more important than ever.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

PirateBob posted:

Someone please tell me a really fun class/multi-class to play :shobon:

I'm enjoying my Thaumaturge (Wizard/Priest) but I dunno if I'd recommend it.

The diversity is a lot of fun but it's probably better with a caster to remain pure. I don't feel underpowered, though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
e: Nm

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 10, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm getting loving rolled by this group of pirates in Neketaka. The quest doesn't say they have red bars or anything. It's the return a satchel thing.

Am I loving up or is this fight as hard as it seems?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm getting loving rolled by this group of pirates in Neketaka. The quest doesn't say they have red bars or anything. It's the return a satchel thing.

Am I loving up or is this fight as hard as it seems?

Managed to beat them but drat what a brawl.

Empowered Minolettas Missiles are...wow.

e: My impressions of POTD so far are man you really gotta be on point with buffs/consumables and using the right empower for the job. Empowered spells are life and death in tough fights so far for me.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 11, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Inflammatory posted:

iirc the best character for maximum dialog options is an island aumaua ranger/cipher aristocrat from deadfire.

I'm getting an absolute poo poo load of reactions to being a Godlike. It comes up almost every convo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I have scaling turned on but still see skulls on monsters/quests.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

loving weird man because I don't, do you have scaling up only for everything or just critical path?

Maybe I hosed up? I thought I turned it on at the start but my settings say this:

So I know I chose level scaling - upwards, but I dunno why it has that checked but also says "none". Is it even on for me? The scaling check box is clearly ticked there but I dunno why the thing above it says none.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'd guess you have level scaling off then. I wish I had difficulty things, I only did scaling up so it would be nice to know if I was going up against something a bit too hard.

It is nice to know. Some of my quests are showing 3-4 levels above what I'm at so it would suck to start those without knowing that.

dedian posted:

From a UI perspective I don't think the checkbox should even be active unless you've chosen something from the drop-down. The checkbox modifies the option you select in the drop-down. Right now you're not level scaling anything with "None" selected.

Yeah I have no idea. I must have hosed up somehow.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Man there's so much stuff in Neketaka. I can't decide if I should be trying to do all of it that isn't marked as above my level right now or go sail around a bit.

But so it goes on first playthroughs. I just picked up Pallegina and Maia. I have a feeling Maia will be a regular since I love Rangers.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

Yeah my plan for Neketaka is to do some sidequest, upgrade my ship a bit then go bounty hunting

I think right now I'm gonna buy a pirate banner or whatever from the Delver place and then go do Serafen's quest. So I'll probably do some sailing there.

I stumbled on a way into Arkemyr's mansion already too but my log says I'm like 4 levels below that one so waiting on doing that.

Smith Comma John posted:

after getting my squishy rogue and maia (ranger) pasted way too many times, my second (potd) playthrough is definitely gonna be all tanky frontliners and casters. that'll also give me an excuse to use birbmom and furry barbarian

Mine too. I'm playing potd already but my Wizard/Priest gets pasted a lot if I'm not careful. Will probably do some kind of melee next.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

You can make a decent argument for Priest/Chanter or Priest/Paladin to provide all-in-one party buffing, but the other Priest/X combos mostly feel like flavor things to me. That's fine, though; I recall one of the explicit reasons for multiclassing being included is to provide flavor options for people who're interested in something like that.

I don't feel underpowered as a Priest/Wizard but I don't see a particular reason for it either. I'm trading having the best spells for a little more versatility. It's fun and all, but probably not optimal. The best thing you can say about it is the versatility frees you up to take a more melee centric party if you want. If I were just a Priest, I'd have to take Aloth more often. Or were I just a Wizard, I'd need Xoti more.

Still I don't feel the pain of not having higher level spells much yet but I bet I will in the end as some of that high level stuff looks spicy. And I wanted to try this, so I have no regrets. I don't feel gimp.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Neurosis posted:

the archmage's guys in his house also owned me pretty hard at level 5. i could take one steel thing at a time or one iron and a steel but dear lord having 3 run at you while some imps also pound on you was terrible. i'm happy to run into these things i can't handle so early in the game tho

That quest is showing up as 3 or 4 levels above me and I'm level 6. Probably don't wanna do that at level 5. I'm determined to finish my current run because I don't want to get into a restart-loop already. There's so many classes etc I wanna try though.

I have no idea how people are finishing already though. The game came out Tuesday :psyduck:. Maybe I just play at a slower pace. I've been taking my time and reading the lore etc and I'm not even close to done.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Freaking Crumbum posted:

wizards are hard CC all the way. take spells that disable enemies / give them status malus and never look back. some of the protection spells are useful depending on your difficulty level. IMO most of the damage spells are a trap option because there's other casters (like druids) that have way better damage output and less control utility.

That was definitely true in Poe1 but man I casted an Empowered Minoletta's Missiles yesterday in a fight and god drat it melted things.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

How's the little furry guy as a Cipher? Or is he cooler as a Barbarian? Both POE games cripple me with choice, and I get the Baldur's Gate problem where the NPCs are typically cooler or have unique equipment for their classes to the point where I don't want my PC to be one. Paladin is my favorite class, but there's no way I'm not taking Keldorn and Pallegina.

I started as a Rogue to not feel bad about picking the smarmy rear end in a top hat options, and I have not been disappointed with the writing. It's quality as hell.

I'm only level 6 but I had Serafen go Barb/Cipher multi and it works well enough. He frenzies and beats on stuff and then when he has focus he unleashes Cipher abilities.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wizard Styles posted:

You'll be fine as long as you don't multiclass Xoti or Tekehu. Priests and Druids (besides Shifters) rely on spells with a longer casting time and a lot of Druid spells at least also seem to gain a lot from extra Power Levels so multiclassing them isn't the best idea.

I'm doing okay with my Wizard/Priest multi. The long cast times can be a bummer sometimes though. I usually open fights with a buff and then start doing Wizard stuff until more buffs are needed. It works ok.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I just made Pallegina a big gently caress off greatsword combining Yenwood/Endless Paths weapons.

I don't know how I even got the materials for those since I let the crate fall off the boat in the beginning and I assume the crate held them. I must have found them somewhere but don't remember where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My crew is angry but I have no idea why.