Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Avellone is Rauatai.

Obsidian is the Huana.

Microsoft is Valia.

Gamers are the Principi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
In both Poe1 and Poe2 the difficulty on POTD is at its highest from levels like 1-10. You'll need to be clever with positioning and correctly target enemy weaknesses to have success.

Once you get a few levels and some good gear it gets easier outside of a few tough encounters.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Thanks for the answers. Do you remember what PL chanters get it at? Gonna hybrid it.

As for the POTD stuff that's good to know about late game. I'm just worried that I'll have to prep for every fight but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll look up some rough guides to see if it's for me as well.

Chanters don't get the Brilliant inspiration. They get a level 9 invocation that operates like a weaker (but aoe) version of it. It restores +1 of class resources in a cone. Hybrid Chanters won't get that.

Ciphers get Ancestor's Memory as a 7th tier ability so they will get it even if multiclassed.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
What do you guys think of the kill cam? I had to turn it off because I found it annoying. It's cool to see big crits and stuff but I can figure out if those happened without a camera drawing my attention to it and in bigger fights with lots of enemies the constant slow zooms on big kills were annoying and disrupted the tactical flow for me.

dbzfandiego posted:

Per Rest works if you have standardized idea of how many fights are going to happen in between rests, like in 4th edition D&D, how they did it in PoE1 was not ideal it felt like you were supposed to rest before or after every "big" encounter but what those were wasnt always apparent. In JRPGs they just give you mana bars and ask you to manage until you can get back to town, like in basic D&D, cant? go get more items/strategize/avoid/grind until you can. PoE1 did not want random encounters but did want resource management which is a bit counter intuitive. You either make every encounter count or you get rid of resource management.

Even on Potd you could usually find 1-2 rest supplies in a dungeon so you could actually afford to be fairly liberal with your ability usage.

There are a few dungeons where that isn't the case though. Iirc the Vithrack nest in Stalwart has no rest supplies and that area is pretty grindy with lots of fights so resource management there is tricky.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 19, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Finally beat it with my Herald. I cheesed the Spider boss and the Imp/Books fight by using the Ancestor's Memory + Salvation of Time trick, but otherwise played honest.

I'm not sure how to beat that Imp fight without cheese. The Imps will just ignore you and go burning the books so unless you have a huge amount of interrupts at your disposal they'll eventually burn all the books. Even with the debuff I could still last a while spamming heal abilities but eventually ran out before I could finish the last wave of enemies.

Herald was pretty fun though. Very tanky.

Now to figure out what to play next...

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Withdraw works on the books, which makes it pretty easy.

Does it? Well that changes things

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Think I'm going with a dual gun Ranger/Rogue next. Dual blunderbusses to be specific. Because I'm a masochist I'm running that character through Poe1. Though it's not such a big deal since I like poe1 a lot. It just never feels right to me to make a char fresh in 2 without playing 1. I guess I'm neurotic that way.

Probably gonna multiclass any and everyone this time as well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

This is my main concern about potd. In what way is it a chore?

It's not that bad. Enemies have higher defenses, so you have to really pay attention to their weaknesses. If you don't, it's a slog.

It's hardest early before you have access to gear, abilities, etc. Once you hit around level 10 or so POTD is not so bad apart from some fights here and there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Man he's your classic bitter ex employee who could be gone from his old job for years and still can't stop bitching about it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, Durance is similar to Irenicus in that the voice acting absolutely makes the character. If all you ever did was read what Durance was saying or doing, I think his popularity would plummet outside of...well, Avellone's new friends at the codex, I suppose.

Eh, I think he's a well written character. Distinctly a Chris Avellone character of course but one of his good ones.

Eder is the best character in the series though. He's such a believable character and the voice actor does a great job.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

I'm gonna start a potd run soon with a priest of magran as my Watcher. Since I'll need Xoti for early fights, is it worth making her a priest as well? A monk (I'll have Mirke as a pure monk as well) or a combination of both?

Think I'm gonna do something similar but with a Priest of Wael/Lifegiver multi. Use the plant staff and just be a roided up heal bot.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
^ Yeah I'm wondering if the unusual setting and plot had anything to do with the game struggling to sell well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

isk posted:

I quite like the writing in Deadfire, and I'm basically allergic to Whedonesque gigglesquee bullshit by this point. Frequently funny, often somber, and the gods are weird. The dialects work for me since I'm a bit of a linguistics nerd.

Deadfire does strike a weird tone in that the plot is pretty grim dark but many of the characters aren't. Xoti and Tekehu are cheerful to a fault.

I don't mind it, but I can see how someone would look at that and feel it's too Bioware and less Motb.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wizard Styles posted:

I think the writing in Deadfire is worse overall because it lacks depth and the main quest is dog poo poo. I don't really think that affected sales, though, since both of these things only started bothering me halfway through the game. Deadfire is easier to get into than PoE1 and its far more succinct writing contributes to that.

I don't mind the general idea of the main plot but my main problems are:

1) Lacking agency. It literally doesn't matter that the Watcher is following Eothas. Our input on his actions is tiny and doesn't affect his overall goals at all.

2) It's confusing. We aren't given enough of an explanation of how the Wheel works and why Eothas doing what he does is going to break things.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

I thought the first point was pretty good. You have agency in shaping the world with the factions but against a literal walking giant god? Not so much. You're the protagonist but the world still goes on and has a power structure. It's why if you mouth off to the gods they can outright destroy you or take things from you.

Eothas was pretty clear on his motivations. The effects of his actions aren't quite as clear insomuch if they're positive of negative, but he outright states why he's doing what he's going.

It's logical that you can't change Eothas' mind, but it's not satisfying.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eraflure posted:

So has anyone found a way to make priests fun to play in Deadfire? PoE1 priests were at least fun if you enjoy overpowered stuff, but I'm really not feeling the whole "cast buffs for 30 seconds -> do whatever if your team somehow hasn't won the fight by now" routine now that mages can do that way faster and better.

Their offensive spells aren't bad. Pillar of Faith, Divine Mark, Pillar of Holy Fire, Cleansing Flame and Storm of Holy Fire all solid options for nuking. Also Magran's Might. And their weapon summons are good like Nasgate mentioned.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lt. Danger posted:

You're overthinking - the linked image is intended as an illustration, not direct analogy. The colossus is unstoppable in the same way that colonisation, its impacts and the wider 'march of history' are unstoppable.

It's fine to make that point. MOTB does something similar with the Wall of the Faithless but the difference there is as a player you still wrest your soul back and make a rude gesture to Kelemvor and the Gods and can swear you'll try to change it moving forward which feels more narratively satisfying than Poe2 where Eothas just gives you your soul back for free and then people's elbows the Wheel.

Having to fight for your soul while being unable to stop Eothas' plan would have felt better I think. Because then you at least feel like you accomplished something by the end rather than just feeling like a participant even though in both MOTB and Deadfire you're not enacting the change you'd want to.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
When I play I have certain NPCs I use more than others but I still rotate my party a fair amount. Oh I'm bored of Eder for the moment? Great, there's Pallegina, Maneha, Zahua who can all fill the same role if I want to mix it up.

And there's way way more than enough gear and quests in both Poe1 and 2 to keep everyone leveled and geared out so that swapping out a regular party member isn't crippling.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

I guess I'll try it out one day. I played on hard, and perhaps learning the system on that difficulty was a mistake, and I felt like I had to stick with a safe party.

I mean there are tougher areas where I lean certain party members. Like Cragholdt I'm usually making sure to bring what I consider my best party.

But otherwise even on Potd most of the content is manageable with any party provided you know the mechanics well. If you don't, then yeah it can be a struggle.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Your Parents posted:

these are the same devs who ended Neverwinter Nights 2 by having rocks fall in the dungeon and kill every player character.

that ending owned tbh.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I think it might have been motivation to play with the character creator. My first playthrough on hard I had to make a character to fill out the party so I could get through Caed Nua.

I usually hire an adventurer early. It helps a lot. The best adventurer to hire early in Poe1 is a Cipher. Mental Binding is absurdly overpowered and you get it quick.

Hiring someone also helps because once you get Caed Nua you can use the adventurer (or party member) to do stronghold quests. If you don't hire an adventurer then you won't have a surplus party member at the stronghold until you get Pallegina. Unless you rush to Hiravias that is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

isk posted:

Ending spoilers

I liked it TBH. The agency is in shaping the future, not in defeating a god. Can't change his mind, but the player can change several impactful results.

It's cool to not like that. I enjoyed it since it's immediately made clear how powerful Eothas is, and the Watcher doesn't build a second Godhammer. A Godhammest.

The Godhammer was only possible with Magran's help anyways.

It's also not even clear if the Gods can be killed. Eothas was blown the gently caress up while inhabiting Waidwen and still came back. And it's implied (or outright stated, I forget?) that the Gods all walked Eora at one point in physical forms, though these days they avoid doing so.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

jfood posted:

wael would never 'mug'. it'd look more like...

Wael would be one of those assholes wearing a Guy Fawkes mask and acting mysterious

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno posted:

The problem isn't that the factions are complex, the problem is that you are so disconnected from them in-game that the only real emotional connection to the factions is whatever real life baggage you bring in with you.

People bring up Pallegina calling you her true friend for standing up for the ideals of the Valian Republics because that's the only time anyone in basically any of the factions acknowledges your actions in relation to that faction beyond "hey I got something for you to do." It's basically the only actual emotional payoff connected to the factions.

I'd argue romances add some of that connection. If your character is romancing Maia, you probably have a desire to see Rauatai succeed or alternatively to turn her away from the path of assassinating people and playing real politik. If you're romancing Shark Boy you probably want the Huana to succeed.

But since plenty of players will do neither of those things I do agree that it can make it hard to have that emotional connection to a faction.

Compare that to a game like Kotor where helping people or hurting them feels like it has an emotional impact because you're invested in being a Jedi or Sith and your actions reflect your order. I guess a Paladin or a Priest gets a similar feel in roleplaying their character in Poe1/2, but it's more difficult to find that connection for a non ideological character.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hackan Slash posted:

PoE is about sticking your finger into the god's eyes as often as possible. That's why the thing that chuffed me the most was (Beast of winter spoiler) Eothas knew about the godhammer and let the mortals think they'd won because they needed a pick me up

The Godhammer was created with Magran's help anyways though so it was never a situation where mortals blew up a god on their own. The only reason Eothas could be stopped was Magran helped.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Traps feel a little pointless in Poe2. They give injuries, but now that there's no rest supply limit you can just immediately rest if you accidentally hit a few traps.

So that means the only time traps really bother you is if you spring one during combat but how often does that happen? In many cases traps are able to be disabled before combat starts.

You can also just easily save scum traps and reload if you lose a fight because of one. Once you know they're there, they're not much of an obstacle. Whereas if you're facing a tough encounter you can reload that repeatedly to try and solve it but you'll still have to figure out positioning and what spells to use and so on. When you know a trap is there it's either don't walk where it is or just disarm it now that you know it's there.

My approach to traps would be have them be triggered by enemies. By that I mean have like an oil barrel that the enemy shoots fire arrows at unless you CC them, or have some wall trap where if you walk in the wrong spot the enemy will pull a lever and squish you or something. Basically, make them a part of combat. Divinity did that type of combat well. I guess maybe that's less suited for RTWP though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Freaking Crumbum posted:

was it ever explained why all of the other gods seemed to only rely on the watcher to "handle" eothas, without performing any more direct action themselves? presumably the gods all have gangs of loyal followers on eora and a variety of other material assets they could have utilized to try and stop or slow eothas down, but inexplicably the watcher is the only actor that is proactively trying to find a solution. the gods bitch at you like crazy, sure, but there's no other watchers that get employed, no other godborn that get dispatched, it's just you trying to hold back an avalanche with your bare hands and the gods tsk tsk-ing about how you're doing such an inadequate job of it.

There's a pact the Gods have to not interfere directly in mortal events because when they do they affect too much.

Of course Eothas is breaking the rules there but I think until the Gods realize what he's up to their stance is to not interfere because of the potential problems that could cause. And also since they gave up having bodies it's unclear if they even can stop him. They have some control over nature as with Magran's volcanoes and Ondra sending tidal waves but neither of those stops Eothas. Short of taking bodies themselves, I don't know that they even could stop Eothas.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 20, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yuuuuuup.

I haven't played this since before the first big balance patch dropped, so I need some advice: when I DO start my second playthrough I'm thinking of going Druid, but I might also want Tekehu in my party, so what's a good Druid multiclass for one of us to be? Is Tekehu the Druid/Chanter any good, or should I keep him pure and go Druid/Barbarian or Druid/Monk or something? Any thoughts on subclasses, are Furies any good, are Shifters still Broke As gently caress?

I'm running a Priest of Wael through Poe1 right now and am gonna multi that to a Druid (Lifegiver) I think. Lifegiver/Priest multi can be cool because the healing you can put out is crazy good and there's a Nature staff you can get on one of the Islands that gives a boost to Restoration spells. Not sure if that applies to Priest spells too but even if not it's still a pretty strong build for heals.

Anyways to answer your question I've only kept Tekehu pure so far in my plays. I did play a Herald (Chanter/Paladin) recently. The issue you can run into with caster/caster multis is that a lot of spells have long cast times so it can be difficult to get them all off in fights. But Chanters do have some fast cast invocations too so you can focus on those if you're concerned about that with the Chanter half.

In general Chanters are always a solid choice to multi though if only because chants are a passive bonus and so you always get value from the Chanter half even if you're not casting a lot of invocations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I always find it hard to spare Harmke and don't think I have yet. I guess a Benevolent character might do it to prevent the other Woodcutters from dying and maybe a Cruel character would just to be a dick to Devil but other than that it's a pretty black and white situation. He did kill her family, even if accidentally, and even if he didn't want to kill Devil's family specifically he still went to Cold Morn and presumably engaged in a lot of other murder and mayhem.

Plus it's not like you specifically decide to kill him as revenge. You're just telling Devil he did or didn't do it. The decision to kill him afterwards is technically something she initiates, not you.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

Sadly, Vatnir is locked behind a boss battle. I think you'd need to be at least level 10 to attempt it

I found it challenging even at level 16 but I did play with level scaling.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

AngryBooch posted:

Tactician getting the Brilliant Inspiration when all enemies are flanked and no allies are flanked seems very good in certain long battles, especially when they're multiclassed!

This Barb that puts down totems that buff the party seems cool too, want to see how long the totems take to set up.

And the Ancient Druid looks cool too, Beast and Plant spell bonus Power with that Staff in the Cupboard with Plant and Beast plus PL? Hell yeah.

I'm doing a Priest/Druid of Wael next and now I can't decide b etween Lifegiver or Ancient

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's weird to allow a Priest of Woedica since you couldn't worship her in Poe1 but I guess it makes sense since it is possible to empower her at the end. So you could do some sort of Priest that converts to her faith.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno posted:

To be fair, there's an ending that pretty explicitly points to you doing this, hahaha.

Well you can pick her at the end, yeah. It'd be a pretty big betrayal as a Priest to pick her after worshipping some other god for all of Poe1 and especially after finding out what her/Thaos have been up to.

interesting roleplay in that decision. Yeah it's me, the nerd who is thinking about roleplaying as well as character builds.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I tried one of the new mega-bosses and I think I'm just not good enough for those. Really neat mechanics tho'.

I cheesed Beleranga to beat her. I'm sure it's possible legitimately but I tried it enough times and kept wiping so said screw it.

I think this playthrough I'm going to try to avoid cheese like Brilliance plus Salvation of time plus Barring Death's Door.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

Belranga has a move that can instakill you no matter the difficulty. As I found out when messing around, it can instakill you if you have god mode on. That's one tough spider

You sure about that? I'm pretty sure Barring Death's Door stops that move.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My current playthrough is gonna be a Priest/Druid of Wael. Probably Lifegiver for Druid.

Definitely doing an Arcane Archer after that though. Probably multi with either Cipher or Rogue.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My problem with traps is there's no penalty at all for even hitting them because resting is now unlimited. So why even bother? They're just a nuisance.

Of course that's all they were in Poe1 too since if you did step on one you'd probably just reload. I maintain that the best way to incorporate traps would be to have them be a part of fight encounters somehow. Those are the only traps that are actually meaningful because any out of combat traps can be resolved by reloading once you know they're there and/or just springing them all and resting afterwards.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

remember wizards at launch

slip slip slip slip slip

Slicken is still comically good in poe1

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

"Check out my new kithskin hat. Yeah, I made it from what I had left after I mounted Benweth's head in my cabin."

Your pc is basically a murder hobo that sees ghosts so it fits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kith posted:

we already have aloth though

Iselmyr isn't actually real it's just something Aloth made up since he's too cowardly to hit on Pallegina otherwise