Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm thinking just pure monk or some sort of skald or paladin multiclass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I do wish you could pick to be a devotee of a god as a non-priest.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you're playing a Monk, it's generally advisable to wear full plate.

Plate feels like it'd be terrible on monks unless you're going full on straight tank for them. It slows them down a bunch which gets rid of a good strength and means you get less wounds which means less punch powers.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

rope kid posted:

I like medium armor on monks, usually.

I used robes in PoE1, which worked pretty well for a flanker on normal outside of situations like Cragholdt Bluffs where all the gun users would just go at him at once.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think one of Pillars' greatest achievements is giving nods to those false idols without itself worshipping them. Especially when you compare it to other nostalgia driven genre revival games like Wasteland 2.

Was Wasteland 2 outright bad? I never got around to looking at it.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

I though it was fun right up to the very end where like a third of my party turned on me and I gave up after like a dozen attempts at the last battle. Apparently it was hinted at in some of the dialog but I was skimming like mad by that point.

That amuses me if only because it reminds me of Pool of Radiance.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

queeb posted:

uh so some poo poo happened and some bad things happened in defiance bay. can I still do eders sidequest? i forgot to go to the records hall

yeah, Defiance Bay reopens when you enter Twin Elms for the first time.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Pallegina also is a pretty good front liner with a lot of support.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

BG2 is still fun to me, but it does have a lot of problems mostly relating to porting over some of the more obnoxious wizard spells. Also Vancian casting is barely a thing in it considering free rests, and at the levels you reach in it you'd get to the point where Vancian magic doesn't really matter since you have a bajillion spells per day anyways.

I think PoE1 didn't get too far along into that, but at the same time I felt using spell casters pretty extensively by the time I'd need to rest for spells again, my front line needed to rest anyways, Vancian is often more a restriction due to mentality than the reality of the situation.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

How does shifter-Monk look? I saw Cohh doing it, but I didn't watch much of the stream because of spoilers.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

So I'm having a weird bug with Eder, for some reason when using the in game save creation thing, I picked for Eder to have his faith strengthed, but instead of the Night Market stuff I get him as having moved to Aedyr like I picked that I never finished his quest.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Man, waiting for the patch is going to kill me. I need my stolen Orlan baby!

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I kinda feel Eothasian Eder is amusing just for the 'Oh jesus gently caress my god is doing what?!'

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Holy heck, I wandered into Oathbinder's Sanctuary, and it's mostly all about the right difficulty for my party but that fight at the end is just nasty as hell. All the paralysis + all the guns just breaks my group apart.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I can also see a lot of people even outside of public beta just thinking the game is too easy rather than scaling badly.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I kinda saw that my coastal aumua from the Deadfire was one off from a conversation in the starting island and changed over and it's pretty neat, since you're assumed to be a part of the native group who went afield.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Amusingly her and Xoti like INSTANTLY got into a fight for me.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Oh hey while I'm wondering about playing through Pillars 1, does the save import make you play the same class as your PoE1 character?

Nope. You can change EVERYTHING.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

This is starting to sound like a British nationalist's apologia for the British Raj.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Nasgate posted:

I'm getting some strong "The Legion is good" and "the NCR is good" vibes from the thread and I love it.

I mean the NCR felt like the best of the base factions to me? The Legion felt like it'd only work in a game where the other choice was complete and utter anarchy. Going Independent was by far the best choice though.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Are companions supposed to love you as fast as they do? I'm guessing it's just a relatively minor bug?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

bewilderment posted:

Xoti is kind of written as 'main love interest' and has a ladyboner for you right away. Tekehu hits on anything he likes. So those two are kinda guaranteed, the rest might be a little too fast. People talked about Maia jumping on them ASAP but I didn't have that experience, I had to work for it.

--
On my second playthrough I was considering doing a 'gently caress everyone, kill everyone' playthrough but so much XP is given from quests that sadly this would probably be detrimental to fun until endgame. Excited to try being a full Beckoner chanter though.

In my case it was Maia basically being like 'You said something obliquely nice about Rautai! Let's gently caress!

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly even funnier to me was Xoti getting into an argument with Pallengina the second I finished talking to her for the first time, just because I can totally see Xoti doing that, but it's also funny listening to her talk about how she put up with it for too long.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Basically grogs are people who complain about more modern games not having mechanics the same as their old favorites and that changes things to work like they did in BG2.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly considering how much imperialist conquests go I can't actually imagine Rautai tanking over would make anything better.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Teheku is also a druid.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly I feel like all that they interject into conversation and interact with each other makes them a good bit more complicated and integrated than the PoE1 companions. There were more good quests for the PoE1 guys, but for the most part you just talked through their conversation tree and sometimes got a couple of more things to say.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

So uh, is there any way to finish exploring Tikawara without doing Maia's quest if you picked it up? Because she magically manages to talk to the guy with the mob even when she's not part of my party.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

derra posted:

Rope Kid said that Tempering Abydon has no special reactivity in Deadfire, so he didn't include it as a choice in the history creator.

To me, the stranger histories are the impossible ones. How do you beat POE1 only pledging to Wael / Skaen or no god whatsoever?

You don't have to pledge as far as I know, you can just do the quests and get down just fine.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Also maybe Engwithan society was kinda hosed up. I mean look at Skaen he's not against slavery and oppression, just for outbursts that do nothing about the root problems.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah but then the game literally includes two different pirate factions to show that pirates are not a monolithic, homogenous entity, and that one of the pirate factions is tired of the other's fascist bullshit.

the wheel is keeping the kith permanently subservient to the artificial gods that the engwithans. smashing it is the only truly moral decision.

The pirate that attacked you is part of that faction though.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I kinda half expect people playing on PoTD to not be especially shy about hiring some folks.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Is there any way to keep Maia if you side with the Huana?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

I thought Durance was a great character tbh.

Grieving Mother not so much.

I think it helps that Durance is a complete poo poo, but everyone else treats him like the poo poo he is. Grieving Mother's entire thing keeps her from interacting with anyone else which makes her really dull to take along.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

DA:I's characters were mostly fun, excluding Sara, and the story was good and all the setpieces were great. But the open world stuff was all kinda just there. They should have added in some actual side quests that had meat to them.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm still kinda curious what the gently caress is going on with Rikke's land.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My main problem with W3 is I burned out like I do with pretty much every open world game, and I didn't like the trait system of having to pick traits to use actively.

Also I'm pretty sure outside of joke games no one purposely designs their game to be boring, even if you dislike it.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Yeah, RPGs don't have to have crunchy battle systems and character building.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I honestly kinda hated having to juggle skills, especially since you still had a priority for deeper ones which meant buy skills you couldn't use to use the one you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My understanding of the Huana is basically the system works, but sucks in their traditional life styles, but falls apart when stressed by the outside running them off better land or scaled up. So being a Roparu in a more well off traditional Huana place probably sucks, but is liveable, being a Roparu in Neketaka or where things are poo poo is absolutely loving terrible.