Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly I don't mind stats as a combat thing or a RP thing but when they're both then lead to weird rear end places like fighter's being really bad at any skill and wizards being great at literally everything and so on and so forth. One or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

This kinda makes me think of people doing 4e where combat became more complicated by dent of a lot of characters getting active abilities all over the place and trying to run like earlier D&D style small encounters which didn't work for the systems strengths at all. It works well for big set pieces especially if there's terrain but the extra stuff makes combats that basically are there to eat a small amount of resources too slow to be worth dealing with. (For some reason this is something that a lot of early modules ignored for 4e. Even though the DM's guide itself warned against doing stuff like that.)

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

At least with the earlier RTWP games I do think the simplicity of 2e fighters kinda helped. Your front line mostly just kinda went over and autoattacked while you played around with the wizard and cleric. Now I prefer fighters be more interesting but it worked for that type of game.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think Durance is largely helped out by being treated like the shithead he is by the rest of your party. It makes it pretty amusing to bring him along as everyone dunks on him.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think ME2 was a better game than ME1 just because it seemed to mostly decide on what it wanted to be, someone who liked the more normal RPGy bits of 1 I can understand being down on it, but 1 was a complete jankfest between trying to be more traditional and being an action RPG and resolving that I think helped a lot.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 27, 2019

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

andrew smash posted:

Took me a second to figure out you were still talking about mass effect, and in the mean time I was trying to fit POE1 and "trying to be an ARPG" together and was very lost

I edited it because yeah, that was ridiculously unclear.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

To be fair when I hear people complaining about balance making things boring, I tend to think of all the complaints around 4e changing things from 3.x.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Yeah balance is fairly important because otherwise it's easy to get in situations where some players favored archetypes absolutely suck compared to what is intended and others can break the game in half without really meaning too. It doesn't need to be super strict or anything for a single player game but there should be some basic balance.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Cipher is way cooler and also pretty fitting for the setting. Monk and Paladin I'm guessing are also fairly popular since a lot of people like martially types too.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

They're not really Leaden Key. They're more manipulated a long time ago by Tharos.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Edit: I somehow quoted myself. What the heck.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 1, 2019

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

andrew smash posted:

Well bards loving suck so

I mean bards in 3.x are probably one of the most balance classes and are pretty fun. In 5e I think they're one of the best? But I could be wrong there.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

To be fair part of the reason why multiclassing is as broken as it is in BG2 is because the racial level limits which are supposed to balance it somewhat are completely ignored, (because it feels like getting punished for playing an elf).

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm now sad there wasn't ever a 4e or 4e ripoff game with turned base combat.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

No, the hollowborn crisis was a plot to reinstate Woedica.

Saint's war was an attempt to expose and stop Thaos from killing children, not the other way around.

Also the thing where Ondra literally drops a moon on the world to kill Abydon because she thinks the stuff found in a place should be forgotten.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Zane posted:

those are all valid criticisms in pen and paper due to the incredible advantages that 'utility' can offer in an open-ended gameplay system. in bg2 however the asymmetrical gameplay balance between fighters and casters is actually really great. in poe1&2 it's not quite as asymmetrical--the hard edges are shorn off--but the principle is still there and is still good. it's a matter of closing down the system so that positives can be properly balanced against negatives. wizards are versatile but they can still go down pretty quick when a couple dudes get up in their face.

To be fair, Wizards didn't get complete fucknuts out of control till 3.x, especially if you weren't running all the poo poo that gave wizards stuff like contingency. Fighters had high saves across the board as did many monsters, HP damage was more useful as HP totals were lower across the board and if a caster got hit they couldn't cast that round and lost any spell they were working.

In 3e Wizards got more spells and concentration made it way way harder to disrupt their casting, the simplification of saves ended up meaning everyone would generally have at least one low one which meant that it was way easier to get save or dies off in general, and easier to figure out what something would be weak to. Building monsters more like PCs meant that suddenly con scores gave them HP, and with the changes to how that worked everything had way way more HP on average so HP damage was a lot less important. Basically a lot of well meaning changes meant that casters were way stronger and fighters were weaker and it was a shitshow.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

They are on record for including intentionally suboptimal character choices to promote system mastery. This ended up including entire classes.

I guess "wouldn't it be cool if . . . we hosed over new players and people who value story over mechanics" would accurately describe their attitude, sure.

That was less to gently caress people over as a deal but I think more of an idea of it feels good to feel like you're learning. Which sadly means loving over the bad. The wizard stuff is pretty much straight up 'Man it sucks to be a low level wizard' and 'Wow, saves are overly complicated' then testing with blaster wizards and heal focused clerics then feeling it's working right.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My favorite thing about the PoE2 choice of faction is how many people who picked Rautai ended up sounding like Brits defending the Empire.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

She doesn't want to do the right thing in POE1 because it's the right thing. She wants to do it because she thinks its better in the long run for the Republics.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I feel like D&D never really pretended to be as free form as it was often played. The way the rules are written are basically begging for minatures over systems that are actually thinking about free form stuff, people just got used to doing without and decided that's how it was written.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I also think 4e classes are way more different than a lot of people think, but I also think 4e kinda shot itself in the foot in a way. The PHB is super easy to read and super clear how to play which is good, but also means that if you're the type of person who also likes the PHBs as bathroom reading it seems way more dull and drab and if you aren't carefully reading it looks a lot more similar than it really turned out to be.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My favorite early PoE2 bug with companions was Pallengia and Xoti getting into a fight after me just talking to Pallengia once.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly Durance mostly worked for me due to the fact the rest of the party treats him like the odious poo poo he is up to the point of basically being happy when he dies.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I kinda wonder if setting hurt PoE2 too. I liked Deadfire's setting a lot more than PoE1's but people seem often stuck with generic fantasy.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly I'm kinda sad that PoE2 did so badly the setting was way more interesting than something like Kingmaker's and the system felt better too. But I'm also someone who felt Kingmaker felt at times too much like it was overly focused on grogs in general.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It's based on Pathfinder, which is DnD for people who were angry that DnD 4th Edition didn't have a use rope skill, so yeah it was very much targeted at grogs.

In this I mean kinda stuff like normal having enemies weirdly super inflated over raw at random because it felt like they were listening to folks who are into pathfinder charop even for that rather than being like 'wait that's what harder stuff is for.'

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Just because you have those powers doesn't mean that you fight with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Fighting against tyranny feels off as well when it's like shoving Woedica in your face and if anything I think she'd be 100% down with tyranny.