Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
man I am not enjoying playing a glass cannon cipher so far. Dumping con is working out to be a real dumb move - I keep getting wiped out instantly in boarding combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

StringOfLetters posted:

Stand further back, let the enemies all acquire a target and queue up an action on your front-line meat people before moving in. You may have an impulse to run forward and try to do something cool and useful as soon as the fight starts, but that gets squishy people killed. If somebody is attacking your squishy, have the squishy run away, and try to get them to aim at someone else. Running away from dangerous things is kind of the most useful thing a glassy cannon can do. Get a fighter(/something) with a shield and some bonus engagement, if you want to hire a guy, the 'Unbroken' fighter archetype is kind of overpowered. A con-dumped caster needs a sturdy pillar of meat to hold up their fragile magnificence. The mightiest glass cannon is one that acts like an absolute coward. If you have any items that summon mystical poo poo, they are also a replenishable way to get more targets on the field and keep heat off your precious.

Issue I'm finding is that my main is getting targeted right off the bat, so even if I immediately take off to a far back corner I've got a number of ranged attacks coming my way along with a rogue or so. I'm used to dumping a tank up at the front with hold the line and whatever the other engagement ability is - doesn't work so well when I can't specify starting locations for a boarding engagement, or whether my main is stealthed or not.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

does Swift Strikes apply to melee weapons or just to unarmed?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Is there any way to use quickitems while on the world-map? I've got a check coming up in one of the storybook modes and I'd like to be able to pass it with my main character as the 'choose a party member' prompt doesn't actually let me choose anyone else.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I seem to be unable to progress in The Courier's Calling

I got to the point where Maia leaves the party for a few days. During that time I went and talked to Atsura as I hadn't yet explored the RDC's fort

Now, after Maia's return I'm unable to progress the quest by talking to Atsura. I don't get any new dialogue options, or any cutscenes or anything.

Am I doing something wrong? The quest log is just saying I need to report back to Atsura.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

regarding the quest Overgrowth:

I sided with Galawain but don't appear to have gotten any reward? I've read there's a blessing of some sort, but nothing is showing on my character sheet.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

hahaha when you get concelhaut's skull it talks poo poo from the menagerie

:laffo:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

go get the animancy cat, huff some incense, and bring aloth with you

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Regarding PoE1 is there any way using console commands or anything else to reset plot flags on the defiance bay factions? I didn't realize that merely accepting the bronze beneath the lake quest would lock me out of the other two factions, and I did so hours ago in my current playthrough

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Do attributes still affect the game mostly the same as they did in PoE1? Are there any new gotchas? (ie: can I still dump dex if I'm dual wielding fast weapons and not worry about it too much?)

If not, is there an in-depth guide for attributes out there?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

The mechanics are good

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

"I have strong feelings about EVERYTHING" is the best dialogue option in the entire game

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

slow-mo on kills is new. And annoying. How do I turn it off, I can't find a toggle for it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

So I got the Chameleon's Touch from Nomu the Marauder, something I've done before in other playthroughs, only this time it has... no properties. And is only worth 10cp. :psyduck:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

funny stuff -or- Xoti is conflicted

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Avellone is Rauatai.

Obsidian is the Huana.

Microsoft is Valia.

Gamers are those mushroom things

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Amethyst posted:

Avoiding hazard squares really isn't that hard to code at all.

traps in the game are not universally squares

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

:lol: someone approved a PR they shouldn't have

I am for real psyched for this though. Finally a reason to try out a Wizard/Fighter or Wizard/Rogue build

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I didn't worry about this for a while because I just didn't care but now I'd like to actually get the Rum Runners/Critical Roll/Deck of many things DLCs to actually download and I... can't? Clicking the download button in Steam just launches the game, and there's no option in the game to... download them.

Is there a workaround for this issue? Some light googling suggests uninstalling the game and downloading the dlc and then reinstalling which is loving laughable.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

that worked, thank you :)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I was waiting on turn-based to do a Wizard/Rogue build but after some research that seems like a bad idea for TB? What's a decent damage-spiking class combo? I've already played a Monk/Rogue, Chanter/Fighter, and Cipher through, would like to try something different that works well with the new game mode

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

stealth isn't a problem then? What I'd read was that smoke veil doesn't allow for attacking from stealth any longer

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

sounds good, I'll give it a shot!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I think I saw maybe one mention of Zahua in DLC dialogue. That's about it though afaict

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I find that every time I want to start a new game I go through the build gauntlet again. Can anyone provide some tips for a good turn-based single class monk build? No need to go into huge depth - I'm probably gonna run with a Helwalker Hearth Orlan (for crits) and I had figured on an attribute spread of:

Might: 16
Con: 12
Dex: 8
Per: 20
Int: 14
Res: 8

But I'm not sure about anything but the Perception amount there. Could do with a few brief pointers on what attributes are good for TB monk and why.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

it's very funny how worked up white male gamers will get about their favorite video game writer being mildly criticized

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

gently caress caste systems, gently caress colonialism, gently caress capitalism, gently caress pirates

but probably vailia, I dunno

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Is there a specific way to prompt Pallegina's conversation following her personal quest after saving Giacolo? I got it to fire randomly a while later when I went into the Vailian embassy, but I decided to reload to an earlier save to do something unrelated a bit differently, and now I can't seem to get it to fire

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

and you can steal it

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I think you (and most enemies now) start with no capacity for engagement (in TB anyhow, haven't played RTwP in a while), and you can gain the ability to engage through abilities/items/spells

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Jose posted:

That sucks lol. Guess I'm going with deadfire company then

fascist

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

Can this game be completed solo, without any party members, even if it would be extremely difficult?

there's an achievement for doing so I believe

e: if you're asking if anyone has done it it's also a requirement for The Ultimate IIRC, and a few people have finished that as well

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Paladins as zealous fanatics is entirely in line with D&D, religion being the source of their zeal or not

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Someone either here or in the F:NV thread posted the recent talk Josh Sawyer gave on kill npc's (Death and the high cost of killing everyone iirc).

I'd like to watch it again, but I can't find the video. Anyone know where I can find it?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Verviticus posted:

poe dlc was good, right? still trying to decide if i want to replay poe before playing this

white march 1 and 2 ruled

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, if I want to run as a Monk for the first time, what are the main attributes and feats/skills I should focus on?

are you doing turn-based or rtwp?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I only just noticed this

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

what's up with Thelys' house in the gullet?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

Man, I may have to do another PoE1 playthrough. I feel like I messed up by letting the dragons live for my dissident character. Also, I shouldn’t have let the Skaen cult survive. gently caress those guys, even if they’re loving up some rich assholes. gently caress Skaen more than rich assholes.

gently caress.

If I do end up doing another playthrough, I wonder about Pallegina’s fate. I strengthened the Dyrwood so she wouldn’t get kicked out of her order, but I also kind of want to get her kicked out. Those guys can eat a dick. Does much change about Pallegina if she ended up exiled? I know she has a different breastplate, is there really anything else that changes?

I mean, you can just kill the rich dude yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

Hey this is only tangentally related to Pillars, but a few years ago rope kid gave a really good talk on crunch and why it is bad. The video has less than 3,800 views and that's is a real shame, so I'm sharing it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHWvUmlzamo

Also I've hit Act 3 on my latest Pillars 1 replay of being a massive anti-authority jerk while also helping the little guys. I never even knew you could assassinate Lord Harond upstairs in the Dyrford Inn. That was really neat! I'm also trying to have a different party composition, so I can see different interactions I missed in other playthroughs, and I'm playing on Story difficulty so party comp straight up does not matter. I'm actually really enjoying hearing from Kana in the latter parts of the game, since he was traditionally the first person to get sidelined in all my other runs.

a good talk

I'm still waiting for the one about killing everyone to reappear on youtube