Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

adamarama posted:

Im gonna make my PC a rogue/cipher. I'm gonna go with beguiler but what rogue subclass works best? Stealth seems poor so assassin is out. And the trickster downside seems too much. Street fighter seems ok? Am I missing anything?

Street Fighter is the worst of the bunch for beguilers.

I tried assassin/beguiler in the beta and it was very strong, one of the strongest builds I tried. The Assassinate bonus gives you (among other things) +25 accuracy, and it can apply to non-weapon abilities including Cipher deception powers. If you do decide to go with an assassin/cipher (or any other spellcaster) multiclass, then keep in mind that you need very high Dex and Int (around 18 in both) in order finish casting spells before the invisibility from Smoke Veil runs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

So what you're saying is I should use an arbalest (and maybe a war bow after the alpha strike) for my ranger/rogue build? :smith:

Arbalests also have blunted criticals.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Oo Koo posted:

Why don't wizards get quick switch/deep pockets? There's no way to make a bookworm nerd wizard specialized in juggling a massive stack of spellbooks without multiclassing, and even with multiclassing you can only get one or the other. Since quick switch is a fighter exclusive and deep pockets is a rogue exclusive.

No deep pockets, but grimoire switching has a very very very short cool down, just enough to make a single weapon attack before you go back to casting spells basically. I don't think quick switch affects grimoires anyway.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Wizards are god's own class and nothing is allowed to be better. (a whole bunch of abilities feel like they need some balancing done)

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Kith posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right. Definitely doing a Ranger/Rogue then.

Or maybe Ranger/Fighter. I really want access to Armored Grace :arghfist::(

Fake Edit: Hey Beta-Havers does the Fighter's Two Handed Style apply to ranged weapons that are Two-Handed?

Weapon style talents aren't fighter exclusive anymore, but yes, they all apply to ranged weapons.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Are there poe1 reactivity bugs other than from imported saves? I made a custom save and picked the ending where Eder ends up as mayor of Dyrford, and sure enough he had a medallion in his inventory confirming that, but then I asked him what he did after the first game's ending and he said that he went to Aedyr??

Edit: Oh hey, an update already, let's see if that fixes it

Octo1 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 8, 2018

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Dairy Power posted:

For whatever reason, they decided to have companions start at your level with abilities chosen, rather than coming in at level 1 and letting you chose everything. I don't think respeccing is that expensive, but it's slightly annoying none-the-less.

Auto-leveling companions can be disabled in the options (in the difficulty tab)

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Traxis posted:

Does two handed style affect arquebus damage?

Yes

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

No seriously, how am I supposed to get close enough to land an Assassinate hit from stealth? I’m on the verge of rerolling out of Assassin because I can’t figure out how to use the subclass ability. It’s only once per fight too, unless invisibility becomes cheap and common...

Try approaching from behind, or you can alternatively have the rest of the party initiate combat so you can use Escape to teleport near an enemy and murder them before you get noticed. Obviously, you'll want high stealth either way (I hope you multiclassed!)

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Furism posted:

Wow that looks amazing for a 2H Barbarian. Bitch I'd look fabulous.

I think I saw another hat for sale that gives -20% recovery with two-handed (melee?) weapons all the time. I don't remember what it looked like though.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Grimoire posted:

Just saw a forum post - when a sword gunning fighter/ranger charges the pistol will trigger driving flight.

This is amazing, but obviously it and cleaving stance will get nerfed because fighters aren't allowed to be fun.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

It seems chants aren't working, at least not for multiclassed Pallegina. They're active but the little scrollbar isn't showing any songs, nothing in the combat log and her phrases don't go up. Is this a bug or do chants work differently from 1 (e.g. being interrupted by using paladin abilities)?

Try deleting her default chant and see if that fixes it.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Well, that's just swell (passionate is disfavored by Berath)

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Trickster would be better if its spells were 1/encounter each instead of using guile.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

They don't; Zealous Focus and Warrior stances get overwritten by Needle Strike. The only accuracy buff that stacks is Aware because it's +Per rather than +Accuracy.

Modals suppress other modals, other accuracy buffs should still work (it still sucks since weapon modals come with their own drawbacks anyway)

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I’m going to quote something I posted on the official forums specifically about soul blade. I’m not saying cipher is super strong or soul annihilation is amazing, just that the melodrama is unjustified. Cipher is clearly in need of changes and most of its spells need to be stronger. Soul annihilation was quite possibly nerfed a little too much. But I think the math just doesn’t support saying soul annihilation is pointless.

Note that borrowed instinct is also one of the best melee buffs in the game. It gives the highest accuracy buff available outside of ranger passives and alchemy, and a very powerful defense buff that stacks with other deflection buffs and debuffs an opponent. Even if soul blade is weaker than other melee classes, it still has a lot going for it.

Does the accuracy buff also stack with other accuracy buffs?

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

It seems to overwrite needle sting and dueling stance so I think it does not.

Modals always stack with active abilities.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

ewe2 posted:

America, land of the RPG, where you can have any alignment you like, as long as it's murder :commissar:

I like doing all the bounties, which makes me as complicit as Maia. Berath frowns on passionate or benevolent choices, although I'm fairly sure I get a pass for murdering Woedica priests. It's my ornery kith nature.

Don't get me wrong, I like Sherman better than Grant. He and Forrest would have made an interesting pair. Except for the KKK thing.

Berath is fine with benevolence, it's cruelty that's disfavored.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Taear posted:

I don't remember. You can speak to them but they just pop something up over their heads, nothing exceptional. They're definitely not for quests.
The Mare guy is upstairs near the stairs. He's got armour on. The one in dunnage is stood near a pillar quite close to the entrance, not far from Maneha.

Why have his wife there as a character with a name though? It seems so strange.

Are you talking about Mefisto at the Wild Mare? Because that's a construct and it's a reference to Fisto from New Vegas.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Man I hope someone mods in cosmetic slots because I like how various outfits look, but I want good armor effects.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

fuckpot posted:

When you say protection do you mean resistance of immunity? If the former make lots of captain's banquets which give you immunity and it makes it a whole lot easier. Buy every oyster and luminous lobster you come across.

Is there a reason no one ever mentions Wael's Wind? It gives immunity to mind afflictions and is relatively cheap/common.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ugh, I just can't get away from annoying bugs. Now Pallegina won't chant. She just doesn't seem to gain phrases in combat.

Did you try deleting and rebuilding her chants?

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Furism posted:

I think there might be something wrong, maybe with my hardware configuration. Even if I turn on the lights it's very very dark.

I'll make a post on the official forum I guess.

did you try equipping a torch

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

That’s a pretty bad way to design around that problem, vs clearly explaining what the features do. A simple button labeled “challenges” that takes you into the display would be much better. The UX for Berath’s blessings is pretty clumsy too though, so I’m not really surprised. (And the fact that you can’t make a new history during the intro, really.)

Clearly labeling things never stopped dumb people.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Avalerion posted:

What makes full attacks so op as is?

It's mainly that you make two attacks with no recovery in between.

The best solution would be to make full attacks made with other weapon styles do something cool.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Don’t you then get the recovery afterwards, anyway?

Recovery for only one weapon, specifically the off-hand weapon, so a full attack with a saber in the main hand and a dagger in the off hand would only have recovery for the dagger attack.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Is this Magran's Blessing shield I just found new? It was on a weapon rack near the temple of Magran in Neketaka.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/960844484162876725/3AF9F1F570F3E9EE12DC926D279DE8CD76B53CF7/

Edit: I should mention that this is the beta branch

Octo1 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 31, 2018

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I finally beat the first one and am thinking of picking up the sequel, I looked at some builds and am wondering if this one still works

https://fextralife.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-builds-guide-brawler/

Also thinking about this
https://fextralife.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-builds-guide-inquisitor/

Because I was a cipher in the first game.

The brawler doesn't work anymore, Swift Flurry works only with melee weapons now.

I say, forget builds and go with whatever you want, just make sure to have high perception!

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Yes you can help. You probably need more medical supplies and/or a better doctor.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
We are in the worst timeline, abandon all hope.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

Is alchemy and explosives worth investing into in this game? I was thinking about trying out a Witcher kind of character but I´m not sure how well explosives scale later in the game.

This is from my experience with two characters each having 20+ in one of the skills.

Alchemy: some potions can be really useful, assuming you actually remember to use them, others hardly serve any purpose. Poisons on the other hand are kind of terrible because for some reason they gain less accuracy and penetration than other consumables do from their respective skills.

Explosives: end up disappointing when it comes to damage, so for the most part they are best used for their secondary effects. Unfortunately, most require you to hit twice in order to apply a status effect (once vs reflex and once vs fortitude), so they can feel unreliable.

At any rate, both are vastly inferior to Arcana and scrolls in every way because CASTER SUPREMACY :v:

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Iretep posted:

Anyone know what race/gender/background/class to pick for 2 for maximum story? Im wondering if a deadfire former noble for example leads to anything being easier to get.

Just pick whatever you want

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Are two handed weapons actually worth it? Getting the feeling the speed from dual wielding trumps everything else, though maybe just need to find the really good weapons to make two handed builds work.

Two handed weapons are good. They have higher penetration than one handed weapons, not to mention that dual wielding full attacks got nerfed so they're not as overwhelming as they used to be.

Fried Sushi posted:

Started playing this finally, Xoti's accent makes me want to stab myself in the ears, would I be missing anything good if I replaced her with a sidekick?

Do whatever you want. Don't force yourself to use characters or do things you won't enjoy.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Khizan posted:

What's the best way to build a pure Barbarian Serafen?

I want to take him along for the dialogue and such, especially since I'm probably gonna side with the pirates this time around, but Barbarian Serafen has been just painfully bad in most fights and I'm probably going to have to drop him for the DLC content.

I prefer to use single class barbarians as tanks, since they're really tough and have efficient crowd control abilities like Spirit Tornado and Dazing Shout.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Peeps should I wait for future patched before finally starting this game?

Also what devoted wep is best? :V

While others recommended dual damage type weapons, keep in mind that all characters automatically gain unarmed proficiency, so you can just pick Unarmed Monastic Training + any non-crush damage weapon, and that would give you access to multiple damage types.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

For those of you who beat the game and all DLC, how long did it take? I heard the game was short, but I just finished the last DLC and am at 75 hours played, with the endgame still to go.

The main quest is short, the game itself is huge.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Ropekid add a Fun mode that undoes all the nerfs

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Yes, they only apply to melee, but they do not show up in the combat log to-hit calculations against melee attacks.

They don't stack with other modals or active abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

At that point in PoE2 where I start needing to upgrade my kit to Superb quality to keep up with pen (though the upgraded Chanter debuff shout helps make up the gap) but I can’t find pyrite anywhere

You want the merchant at Serpent's Crown, but for some reason she tends to disappear during act 3, so if that happens your only option is the Death Godlike merchant in pirate land (who only rarely gets some in stock).