Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Furism posted:

I think the early Deadfire game was too difficult (still is). Like that Backstreet alley fight or the first Drake at the dig site.

For me personally what I still don't like after 110+ hours in Deadfire is the Penetration combat system. It makes no sense to me, I can't wrap my head around this, I don't want to be bothered switching weapons all the time. DR was fine and working well. Who cares if it made some weapons no-brainers ; only a tiny fraction of the players would actually go for that. You don't even need a power build designed around a specific weapon to win in PotD ; so who cares if some player had fun using that power-build. It's nice to have the choice between a thematic, role-play, viable but not overpowered build and a crazy over-powered build for gimmick runs (like 3-people party PotD runs).

I also hate the Affliction vs Benediction system. Every single game I've played just stacks buffs and debuffs and have their effect cancel each others out (or not). I don't want to have to think what kind of Benediction I need to use to counter some Affliction mid-fight.

It's probably just preference but I think PoE1 combat was just better, more predicable maybe (but that's something I like) and overall less frustrating. It was just more fun. And, yeah, Carnage effects. Loved Destroying all these Vessels in Durgan's Battery with kick rear end weapons. I don't remember having as much fun in Deadfire.

Just play on a lower difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Bonuses from equipment and passive abilities (including everything on the right side of the talent selection screen) should stack with everything.

Bonuses from active abilities (including potions and modal abilities) generally don't stack.

Rest bonuses should stack with everything.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

P sure the power level bonus from amulet of power will stack with all other bonuses - it’s from equipment.

It doesn't because it's an activated ability

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

Also, a question: is there much point to taking the upgrade to crippling strike that also adds distracted if you're going to end up getting persistent distraction within a couple levels? Seems kinda superfluous since anybody you're attacking is going to automatically end up distracted from the latter ability.

It's mainly useful for ranged rogues, you don't need to bother with it if you're going melee.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Assassin/Wizard: Casting from stealth/invisibility for super accurate casts with high penetration. Boeroer informs me that invisibility from Arkemyr’s Brilliant Departure doesn’t break with non-damaging casts, meaning you get +25 accuracy to all your control spells. More casting focused than I’d prefer and I’m kind of sick of always using the spirit lance on wizards, but looks fun and strong.

Keep in mind that Brilliant Departure breaks from any damage, including all the DoTs rogues have. It is a very powerful build otherwise.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay so I think i have finally settled on what I wanna do. Ancient Druid + Woedica Priest aka Universalist. Sorry , I keep starting, fiddling around some, then restarting.

But what I'm really wondering is if I need to care that much about Might given a lot of these Druid and Priest spells are "over time" and that is just based on Intellect right. I maxed that out at 20. I wouldn't dump it but maybe just 10-12 is good.

Whatever you do make sure to get some dex as well, since Universalists have a lot of spells with long cast times/recovery.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Is it just me or is White March really difficult!!

I’m level 7, but I’m losing at least one guy every fight, and having to rest much more often than in the base game, which usually is about once per Endless Paths floor. I’ve had to rest twice just exploring one half of Longwatch Falls.

Here's your problem, Longwatch Falls is the hardest of the areas and you should leave it for last.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

You mean Russetwood?

That area is automatically added to your map, and required to progress the WM1 storyline, or am i misunderstanding what you are thinking of?

Within the town of Stalwart itself, there should be something on the west side, but only if you've dealt with Concelhaut first.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Scorchy posted:

I don't think you can cast anything on yourself as a Cipher, right? Like their whole schtick is messing with other people.

There are some harmful spells you can cast on yourself, but that's probably an oversight :v:

Octo1
May 7, 2009

I think this is it

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7Rqzk0KXtVx8RPR4KQl4iJ72qEUKN0ew

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Mans posted:

I can't pass the first seeker trial :smith:

If spiders or poison naga are giving you trouble, try khapa tea, it gives immunity to poison.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
What is up with the Grimoire Imprint spells? My bloodmage now has 5 permanent druid spells and also at will fireball, not that I'm complaining!

gowb posted:

It’s mostly the extra action speed that I like, does regular barb get as much? Seems like a necessary clas for 2h weapon welders anyway.

Regular Frenzy also has the action speed bonus, but no bonuses to armor and armor penetration, and no bonus crit chance. Wizards can also gain a bonus to action speed from Deleterious Alacrity of Motion.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Oh drat, okay. So an inn+pets+one piece of equipment is the best way to up my INT? Man if I had known that I probably would have invested more points in INT from the get go, but I guess at least I’m a little more evenly spread in other ways

Also just found the critter cleaver and that is definitely too upsetting to use

There's a helmet with +2 intellect for sale in Queen's Berth and a necklace with +2 intellect for sale in the Brass Citadel, that should get you to 20 intellect.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

Tell me about Chanter summons. I have a hard time wanting to invest in anything other than the capstone ones, since the old ones will (presumably) eventually become deprecated. I guess I could just respec a bunch of times as I level the character, to get rid of the outdated summons, but that's annoying. Which are worth taking as you level, and are any worth using once you get higher level ones? IIRC the upgraded summoned weapons are considered the best capstone summon, with the dragon being an acceptable-but-probably-not-as-good alternative.

For the record I'll be playing a troubadour, so the beckoner's weirdness won't apply.

These are all from memory, so they may not be completely accurate, also note that active abilities on summons are often much better than their basic attacks.

Skeletons: shorter cast time than other summoning invocations, making this a good choice if you want to distract enemies ASAP.

Phantom: poo poo

Wyrms: good ranged dps, but it's all burn damage with relatively low penetration. Really good against vulnerable targets.

Will o' wisps: poo poo

Ogres: tough, with AoE active abilities. Good for holding a line.

Drake: not amazing at any one thing, but good at most things. Breath attack is circular.

Mushroom: can charm enemies with a ranged active ability. The upgrade didn't do anything last time I checked so it's best to ignore it.

Animated weapons: very high damage especially with their active abilities. Great sword has Flames of Devotion, pike has Knockdown, bow has Wounding Shot, and the wands have Arcane Assault.

Dragon: very powerful active abilities. Use it mainly to hit a lot of enemies with its breath attack. I think it also had some sort of fear aura, but I might be misremembering.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Do enemies ever use potions or other consumables?

Yes, especially ship captains. They spawn with 2 healing potions and 1 buff potion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Zeerust posted:

Real quick mechanical question that I’ve never considered: do the Graze and Crit modifiers from an attack roll multiply the base damage of an attack, or the modified?

E.g if i have a weapon dealing 20 damage with +5 from Might, would the Graze/Crit modify the 20, or the 25?

It's the base damage, but keep in mind that critical hits (in deadfire only) give a 1.5 penetration modifier, which can significantly improve damage.