Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Feeling migthy excited! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I don't really know how steam works for new releases; will it automatically download the game if go away from the computer and leave steam open? Can I set it to do that somehow? The game releases while I'm at work and it'd be neat to be able to come home and get cracking without having to wait interminable ages while it insttalls

Yeah I preordered and it's preloading right now. 1st preloaded game on linux for me also.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I might try a fanatic paladin, useful tank material as well as group boosts.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There is a save game editor for POE1 called Eternity Keeper that does have access to globals for each save, but the Vela quest doesn't appear to have a global that actually checks for variant outcomes to the quest, which I suspect is the problem. Eder has heaps of globals but idk if any of them check for his bug.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh they just fixed Gaun's Pledge, didn't notice I was missing it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Heads-up for those who've played POE1 dlc's: don't go near Bekarna's Observatory unless you're good and levelled up because there's a certain lich who remembers you, and he's very tough this time. Ow. So very nearly dead.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How do i make the combat less of a clusterfuck? Every fight I get into I wish I was playing Original Sin 2 instead. As soon as anything happens its just a mess of circles and arrows, and the only way to keep track of everything is to slow it to a crawl, which means there's such a huge delay between giving a command and the spell being cast that I haven't the foggiest idea how useful anything is being.

Harrow posted:

I'm sure someone who has soloed PoE1's hardest difficulty can give better advice, but as an intermediate sort of player that usually gets me through.

That would be me. The essential solo strategy, but applicable everywhere is kiting and pulling.

Set your auto-pause to stop when you see an enemy and before combat starts. Use stealth to get within good range. Target one enemy and lure them back to you to avoid attracting the crowd. Kill, repeat. This especially helps when a strong opponent has or launches a crowd of pests at you. Always take advantage of chokepoints like doorways or cast a Wall spell while stealthed or an AoE spell to slow/damage them on their way to you. Once you get the hang of this, the pause in combat will make more sense to you and you'll be able to use it more effectively. You may even kill some dragons!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There's a party order bug I keep running into with a custom party configuration: party members randomly swap places. I can't pin it down to whether that's after an auto-pause or dialogue but it's rather annoying to have to move your casters back behind your tanks in the middle of a battle.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Agean90 posted:

the line when she joins you about her standing uncomfortably close was far too accuate

also this thread needs island names i have trouble coming up with them outside of just making the islands dungeon/event sound as dramatic as possible

CANNIBALS LANDING
ISLE OF THE INFINITE EYES

What about ship names? My first playthrough was THE SCURVY PRAWN. I'm sure goons can come up with some really filthy names based on Serafin's dialogue alone.

Island names I base on something memorable about my time there:

ALOTH'S STUPID FIREBALLS
CRISPY XAURIP (there's a ship name for you).
GOBSHITE LOOT

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Super frustrated that any crowd scene or ship battle drops to a unplayable 7-10 fps even on lowest graphics settings. My CPU exceeds the minimum and my GPU exceeds the recommended, so I'm thinking maybe it's not my computer. I've tried a new drivers, old ones, and a bunch of other fiddling, but nothing helps. :smith:

i5 750 with a GTX 970.

The linux build is super unoptimized for me too, i5 4460 with GT 730, I might have to trade up to a 1030 or thereabouts.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Level scaling is stuck on All and I can't change it, it was set on None when I started my second playthrough. WTF, Obsidian.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Traxis posted:

Level scaling doesn't work so it doesn't matter anyway.

It seems Level scaling can no longer be changed on the fly, you're stuck with whatever setting you start with. Given the number of things you have to set at the beginning of a playthrough, that just adds extra irritations to the process.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

Oh man, you know what really fucks me off?

Sigils.

Sigils that are specifically immune to any weapon that could hit them outside of their "gently caress you here's a non-expiring debuff" radius. Sigils of Death in particular.

That Sigil that casts Curse of Atrophy helpfully so a Death Guard Fanatic can own you. That took some kiting around and I ended up having to bomb it to hell because none of my weapons could dint it.

Nasgate posted:

At least that walk. It was cool and cinematic the first time. Now I'm just seeing how few clicks I can do it in.

Oh god please Obsidian, it's terrible particularly with a lower-powered graphics card on an unoptimized linux build, stuttering my way through that intro is infuriating.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

bewilderment posted:

So I have no actual incentive to engage with the system because BAM FULL SPEED AHEAD GO GO GO.

Same, I figured that out fairly quickly that with a well-equipped stable of characters (including ones you can roll yourself), you can take down big ships with big loot, and boarding gives you the biggest bang for your buck. I mean, it IS fun to play shootems too, but if I'm looking to rank up my crew quickly, there's no option better.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

VanillaGorilla posted:

He gets super bitchy about it if you kill all his minions, though, so worth it IMO

Yeah I didnt get the answer until after I'd wailed them to death, pretty hilarious conversation.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I did some testing with solo saves from POE1 and you don't get Eder. He's not on the ship at all, in fact the game transfers a paraphrased dialogue tree to the Steward instead. I don't know where he is, and Aloth is missing too, but Pallegina is there. So I guess that's it for former companions, looks like missed Gilded Vale meetups remove them. It would be interesting to test dumping your companions and importing that save, I might try that later.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Khizan posted:

I feel like a big part of the problem with RPGs in general and games like PoE in particular is that their fanbase has a huge split in it. On one side you have people who want grueling difficult combat encounters and who just speed through the story. On the other side you have people who don't care about the combat at all and who only care about the story and character interactions. Trying to please both factions usually ends up squarely in the middle with neither side as happy as they'd like.

It's a general issue of whether you're happy with games to be a gatekeeper of content if you're "playing it wrong". Combat that is too difficult/min-max spoils the fun of the game for a lot of people and they will want the option to dial the difficulty down so they can enjoy the game, it's not an all-combat/no-combat line. Clearly though, a lot of RPG'ers want to be challenged so they want that difficulty scale. Of course you won't completely please either tribe but you've got to accommodate both to a degree.

Personally I find the obsession with combat in what is supposed to be an engaging world a bit odd, you may as well have stick figures moving from box room to box room oh wait that was old skool rpgs :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Torrannor posted:

If you never recruited Pallegina in PoE1, can she still join you? And will she be aware of the nature of the gods if yes? Same question for Aloth and Eder.

The answer appears to be yes for Pallegina but no for Aloth and Eder. I've tested a couple of imported solo saves and the guys just never appear but Pallegina can be found after your first visit to the Queen in Nekatana

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I don't know if this is a Linux build-specific bug, but I can't see how to leave Crookspur by foot to reach the locations at the top of the island, not accessible by the landing at the bottom, is there a quest-related requirement?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

Fun fact: Eder can die during the fight on the ship at the very start of the game, and he does not show up on the beach, nor does the Steward mention him at all. It seems pretty unlikely but it's pretty funny to me that someone could, presumably, not realize that Eder is supposed to be a permanent party member.

Actually if you solo POE1 and never meet/dump Eder or Aloth they just aren't there. Which makes sense, the game can't tell the difference between a solo game and dead/unmet companions.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Freaking Crumbum posted:

anyone else get a bug where you're at the port in neketaka and you're standing on the dock looking at your motherfucking boat, but the boat menu won't let you change out crew? it keeps saying "you need to be in the neketaka port to change your crew".

MOTHERFUCKER I COULDN'T BE MORE IN THE GOD drat PORT. I AM STANDING ON THE DOCKS LOOKING AT THE loving BOATS!

I wonder if this is similar to a bug I've been having where you can get stuck in certain places like off a beach and be unable to move ie it thinks you're where you are obviously not?

edit:

frajaq posted:

also if you don't meet Pallegina in PoE 1 is she available in PoE 2? Unlike Eder/Aloth it does make sense for her to be in Deadfire even if the watcher never met her

I forgot to say, yes you do because she is part of the VTC questline. So I've been able to find her in Queen's Berth even with an imported POE1 save.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 25, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh my lord I never heard of Knightmare before I looked up the VA for Concelhaut...Edmund Dehn is a kooky guy :D

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Speaking of bugs, I've had a weird one with Maia where some kit is interacting with pistols/arquebusses and she repeats the cocking animation CONSTANTLY unless I take the weapons off her. Haven't figured out what's doing it yet.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

basic hitler posted:

Anyone have advice on the big fight at the observatory?

My party is level ~14 with content scaling on. my pc is a ghost heart seer, with eder, aloth, pallegina, and xoti, all as pure classes, fighter, wizard, paladin, priest and for some reason i am just not loving surviving this fight after about a dozen attempts.

it's on the difficulty below potd and honestly nothing has been this difficult so far. i'm not sure my composition has the right weapons equipped but it might be something else? I wish I knew or had some advice. i think if i lose aloth too early there's basically no chance so the only thing i can think of is to shove him in a suit of armor.

The 'cast a wall spell while stealthed' trick didn't entirely work for me, but a good wall spell cast definitely helps, you need something to grind him down while you're fighting. Make sure your wizard has good defensive passives and your tanks engage well or at the least have a good ranged attacker that can take out the hangers-on so your party doesn't waste resources on them instead of the main guy. If you've got Captains Banquet, use it on a rest before you aggro him, it's been the difference for me in that battle as well as against Fampyrs.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

treizebee posted:

Words of warning if you use Eccea's Arcane Blaster: That gun will ruin your save if a character using it all of a sudden gets stuck in an infinite reload loop. You'll be locked out of almost all functions with reload weapons.
Fortunately I found an autosave before the offending fight.

Good news, I don't have that gun and I have that bug with Maia.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Randbrick posted:

I'd have loved more time with Berath, not for exposition, but just for color. She's a really fun figure in those brief moments the narrative slows down and lets her show some personality.

In my head she has a very grizzled police captain relationship with my young buck detective watcher, but also I'm not gonna lie, I got a crush on that pallid knight.

She does come across as the adult in the room, doesn't she. My take on the whole metaphysics is that many players will be like Xoti, unable to fully comprehend the real system and enjoying the mechanics way too much to really question it anyway. I couldn't get her to an uncrazy place in my playthrough no matter what I did.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

rope kid posted:

My hope was that funnier images on loading screens that illustrated the concepts we were trying to teach would draw people in more than what we typically used (level renders). I really liked how they turned out, but some people on the team thought they were too silly and lobbied hard to get them replaced, so we went with the single key art loading screen.

I'm a sucker for comedy/4th wall breaks in RPGs, its a shame they didn't go with this.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Does Serafin go anywhere if you don't pick him straight off? I don't want to have to fight everyone in Deadlight again.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Uhhh you're meant to pick him up as soon as your boat is repaired, and if you don't it's a glitch (unless you intentionally refused him).

He shows up again at the start of Fort Deadlight if you didn't pick him there, and it's possible to glitch out again if you want to take him but the game fucks up.

Ah yeah, found him outside the dungeon doors.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

jerman999 posted:

How do I get the interaction with Galawain to trigger? I went down to the second level and started deactivating pylons without realizing there was an option to shut it down, and there was never any interaction with Galawain.

You have to go into the room with the Adra machine and try to deactivate it, you'll get dialogue with Galawain then. Like the other issues with quests done in Not The Right Order, this is confusing and I got it wrong the first time too.

edit: re balancing chat, I'm not a combat min/maxer, I don't really enjoy that but I am concerned about the number of passive vs active abilities you can have within the 1-20 level limit. Rangers in particular have to spend half their levels in passive buffs to their companions just so those companions aren't just smashed all the time, without the compensation of strong active/passive buffs to their own abilities, and forget about multi-classing them, that's just weakening them further. You can argue similar cases with ciphers. I think the passive ability tree has improved since POE 1 but in those cases it seems padded out to nerf the whole point of those classes.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 7, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Scorchy posted:

Yeah DLC is still weird on Steam, have to go to the Beard pack DLC store page, Download launches the game. Then I think I'd have to quit out and restart it.

It's extra fun in Linux because Steam there for some reason can see it, but won't install it, so verifying local file integrity is the one thing that will wake it up and install it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

EDIT: Even against hotheaded french nobles, the massed warbow forces of the english pretty much needed the other side to politely wait until they'd dug in, which meant getting caught by surprise was the end.

If you're talking Agincourt, the French army funnelled itself into a mudfield. At the bottom of a hill. Once that area was choked with mired Frenchmen and the less-armoured were picked off, the archers moved in with their other weapons, hammers, daggers, you name it and slaughtered whoever they could. It's guessed they killed more with those weapons than arrows.

To be fair, the French were after noblemen they could ransom, and archers didn't count, so they completely discounted them as a force worth clearing. And the archers didn't give a gently caress about ransom, they just wanted to win. So, rogues 1, paladins 0.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

They dropped it to a point where it shouldn't happen (it's like -10 or -15% in the patch, or at least it was in the beta)

Also since I'm on linux is there an ETA on whether the bug that's blocking release will be fixed for tomorrow at least?

Is that a beta bug? The main game is playable, although I'm reserving judgement yet on two bugs, the one that deletes savegames, and the one where it just never saves the option to auto-pause parties on finding traps.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Vermain posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who saw the longhouse and immediately thought "residential school." If people think the Huana caste system is hosed up, just wait until you see the de facto caste system an RDC-run Deadfire would develop between assimilationist Huana and those that attempt to maintain their own cultural and civil freedom.

Ah, just like our stolen generations in Australia, also happily run by Christians for the government. The latest tactic has been to cry "evil rape" and seek to remove the children again or failing that, just remove the cash economy from the area so they can be managed more easily, under the guise of saving them from alcohol. You couldn't possibly stop the white people from selling it. In Perth they built a stadium on a religious area because they decided that "myths" weren't a proper religion. And then there are the concentration camps for refugees on Nauru. Yep, not repeating history at all, nothing to see here.

Back on topic, it's pretty clear that the Deadfire is an 'all choices are bad' no-win scenario, because that's colonialism. Let's blame the Huana for a caste system and then impose an effective caste system on them. Colonialism is full of that kind of irony. And there might be a criticism of cultural relativism in there somewhere.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I wonder if I could solo this sequel and what class should I try, some kind of paladin/wizard?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm making a stab at a solo run with a Paladin/Priest which is working out quite well, I'm only on classic with critical path level scaling up, and I'm keeping sidekicks for ship battles only, no companions. It's a bit sad telling Eder and Aloth to hoof it though. There is a bunch of stuff you can't do solo, but they're only side quests that I can see. Fampyrs are really REALLY hard to fight solo, you need all the buffs you can get. The biggest pain is loss of group stat buffs, so I'm using a mod The Lone Polymath which gives just enough points to manage, I still lose on most of the hidden stuff.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Poe2 adds urgency to the story which Poe1 struggled with but the problem with Poe2 is there's just no credible reason Eothas even listens to you. Like why should he give two shits what the Watcher thinks? You can't stop him. And the problems he's trying to address are way bigger than just you.

I also found myself wondering how the other Gods didn't immediately perceive his plan. If you're a God and you see Eothas stomping around on Deadfire, what do you think he's going to do? There is - so far as we know- only one big thing there worth a God's attention.

I also actually found myself sympathizing with Woedica's purpose a bit which is not something I ever thought I'd say. But the reason I say that is the Gods are a bunch of bickering fools who can't agree on anything. That's good I suppose since it probably checks their effect on mortals a bit but it's also bad because when a huge problem like what Eothas is trying to do happens they can't agree on a solution or work together well to stop it. At least when Woedica was in charge they presumably deferred to her judgment on things and could actually get poo poo done. But as it is it's everything Berath can do just to get the Gods to even discuss the problems without it devolving into circular arguments. And they never get anywhere or doing anything meaningful to interfere with Eothas' plans. They're entirely useless throughout Poe2 apart from yelling at the Watcher to save them.

That's an interesting angle because it begs the question: why how and who set up this thing in the first place and how did they get them to agree with it, outside of the immortality thing?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Not sure what you're referring to. The Engwithans created the Gods, and they did so by basically taking huge chunks of their own populace and turning them into soul puree which got put into a huge machine and distilled into basically robotic AIs/Gods who are built around ideals. And I don't know that any Engwithans agreed to be part of it knowing what was gonna happen. Most likely, they were duped/coerced or just outright forced into being turned into soul juice to power the Gods.

I was being a bit 4th wall about it really: I don't buy that the Gods are AIs given the explanation we seem to get at the end of POE2, their interactions are exactly like the kind of pantheons we understand. If we theorise that they are supercharged immortal people, then that is the simplest explanation. Given that, we can understand why they would be motivated by the different roles, it explains Eothas and Woedica in particular. What it doesn't explain is why the Engwithans thought this would be a stable arrangement, it clearly isn't. It seems odd to cast off a pantheist worldview, and seek to rebuild it knowing its weaknesses. Obviously the idea was to limit each God by their specific roles and powers yet they never reckoned that a power-hungry cynic like Woedica wouldn't try to take over? That an idealist like Eothas wouldn't say, enough is enough, let's level the playing field?

edit: I agree with Fair Bear Maiden's point, that they based their pantheon on an existing or former one.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 19, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who else got all the sea bounties by just ramming everytime and shouldering the cost because you can? I think they'll update naval-combat in future to give better feedback.

Me me me! Once you make the effort to recruit as many companions and sidekicks as possible and deck them out in some reasonable gear, you can easily take on enemy ships 5 levels higher than you and it's more efficient in terms of time, loot and levels. But you definitely shouldn't read this because it spoils something or other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

I don't know how I feel about a lot of the companions. Spoilering just in case. I liked Eder well enough and he felt like a good friend to my Watcher. Xoti was fine and she fit in well with the plot and Eder. I liked Pallegina in the first game but here, in PoE2, she felt way more two-dimensional -- wasted potential, I guess (the Godlikes, as a whole, feel weirdly underutilized). She felt like she was there to be the obligatory faction PC who would be upset with you if you made certain choices, like Maia. But speaking of Maia, I like how integrated she was to the world and her personal quest had some interesting consequences. But she was also kind of flat. Maia and Pallegina both suffered from being the loyal soldier, but Maia at least had the conflict over the methods. A lot of the others I didn't really use enough but I still don't really 'get' Aloth.

Kind of feel like they should've dropped the sidekicks and made the companions a bit more substantial.

The companions do feel like their personalities run on rails compared to POE1 where you had a real opportunity to change their outlook; by POE2 they seem stuck in their ways and you can only affect minor things. It's also really weird that Xoti, a new companion, has the same restriction. Serafin, too, can give you the silent treatment if you make a mistake, like I did by killing everyone in Deadlight (lighten up, Serafin).

Milky Moor posted:

I wanted to hear way more about her past and growing up in an all-male fighting order. The stuff with Giacolo was cool but also somewhat perfunctory. In the first game, Pallegina was a loyal soldier but she was also bright enough, and driven enough, to question her orders and to try and serve her country in better ways than her orders/superiors stipulate. But in Deadfire, she feels like a drone. I may be misremembering but, in Pillars 1, don't we meet her basically doing a one-woman crusade to investigate stuff she's been told not to? I always thought she was characterized by riding the line between free-thinking initiative and out and out insubordination, which we see in her PoE1 quest, but that's all just... gone in Deadfire. In PoE1 she felt like the kind of patriot who believed idealistically in the spirit her nation, whereas in PoE2 it feels more like she believes in the authority/structure of it.

I guess it can be explained away by that it's been five years or however long, but it just left her feeling like a shadow of her self.

edit: And it sucks because, really, siding with the VTC or RDC comes down to whether you can stomach hurting Pallegina or Maia more than it does the various structures (they all kind of suck, really) but in any second playthrough I do I won't feel bad about siding against VTC simply because Pallegina doesn't really seem like a person.

That is, excepting the times where you see the woman behind the armor, like when you make fun of her and she launches into this massive string of expletives and obscene gestures or when you try to seduce her and she basically laughs at you and so on.

Pallegina is the most disappointing in terms of story, agreed. I could explain that away by explaining how much the VTC is a symbol of stability and self-image to her, but really it just feels like they gutted her story because it was too much work, and this doesn't bother the combat gamers who only appreciate her usefulness so fixing it seems unlikely.

Milky Moor posted:

The Herald of Berath stuff felt really underused and the bit where you summon the ghosts on the pier is really awkward and sticks out like a sore thumb.

But on the other hand, gods talking to kith or doing weird poo poo with them is part of the lore (if you read the bookshelf POE2 books, but there's precedent. In the context of gameplay, it IS weird for a first-time player, like a mechanic you're not allowed to repeat.