Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

2house2fly posted:

There's a lot of story but almost every quest has at least one fight in it. One of my fav locations is Galvino's Basement because it's a gigantic dungeon crammed full of monsters which is ostensibly meant to be where a guy lives

galvino being into incredibly weird poo poo is pretty on brand though, I didn't even bat an eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I think I'd have been more receptive if they had mashed poe and grounded together. building a village in the living lands sounds fun, but a forced first person/one character rpg in 2021 just sounds and feels dated.

then again, first person games really aren't my vibe anymore cuz I am dated and need stuff like peripheral vision and spatial awareness now. they make me feel claustrophobic and kinda sick.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

priest of magran has a dialog check with ald engrim on the beach.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

makes sense, used car salesmen never shut up when trying to sell you a lemon.

I dunno how useful it'd be but someone did go to the trouble of tallying all the dialog reactions. priest of mags/eothas were the top two for classes and huana from the deadfire were tops for 'racial reactions', for lack of a better term.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/97707-unique-dialogue-options-report-deadfire-edition/

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

the ranger reaction count might be folded into the cyoa stuff, there's usually an option for pets to do something useful in those.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

it's not exactly a text error, just engrim's unique take on the language. sorta like slang.

'learn'em good' is a pretty common boxing expression, means you beat the absolute poo poo out of a guy who probably didn't belong int he ring.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

in conclusion: english is an incredibly stupid language and all the rules are bullshit.

literally :justpost:

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

once you get a handle on how it's worded it's a very elegant system and easy to work with but it's kinda lame too. if a might buff gets hit by an affliction that cancels it out all I really did was cast a protection from spell with better marketing that failed to live up to it's promises. it's a mechanically good system just unrewarding in some ways.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

every stat is useful and each point makes it incrementally better, but at the same time you can move away from your 'primary stat' since the cost for doing so is relatively minor.

so instead of a barbarian who rage smashes all the time, you can have a barbarian who calmly, intelligently screams at people while casting spells. it's fun.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

skald also pairs well with casters, having your offensive invocations up faster puts some really nice crowd control on an off-brand resource pool. the phrases are just a bonus and I guess you could always hit people if you felt like it, maybe score a crit, maybe not, really doesn't matter. you can lean into your primary casting class and punt some fools if it has to happen.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I do have severe choice paralysis right now about my Ranger I'm playing. I'm in Poe1 so I got time to think about it but I'm still not entirely sure how I wanna multi it in Deadfire. I know I want it to be a Melee Ranger and I was leaning Stalker/Shifter but I'm still not 100% sure I wanna do that since the thought of using weapons also appeals.

I did a playthrough as a kind wayfarer/stalker that was a lot of fun. felt pretty thematic and the flames of devotion aoe really helps keeping the pet in the fight.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i just think its simple dm 101 failure: the party should do the cool stuff, not the dmpc. should have had a bigger godhammer to go gank eothas or spare him or something like that

xoti's holy hand grenade is a real missed opportunity.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

thinking about how cool that head would look on the bow of my ship. drat, that's a good gaming moment. even forces everyone to stand at the stern for a cool group shot.

balance and narrative all in one go. shame how it all turned out.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

people say bleak walkers are evil, but there's almost always a 'passionate' dialogue option for kind wayfarers that'll let you kill everyone in the room over the most trivial poo poo.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

Count Uvula posted:

The real American hero is the guy who killed people in their sleep with a sword. This is not sarcasm.

john brown the bleak walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

you can have plate wearing classes walking around with close to 100 ac at the end of wrath, which is about thirty points beyond useful and more for vanity when you're hitting those kinds of numbers.