Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I was looking for POE2 reviews/comments and found something so surprising I don't even know what to think. I was pondering buying POE2, but I usually wait for steam sales and all DLC to be released; I have a gaming backlog. So while looking at reviews I decided to go to rpgcodex because I've enjoyed some of their "top 50" style RPG lists and discussions in the past. Years ago.

I found their POE2 release discussion thread and starting reading around page 3. I don't feel like I can even link it in good faith because some comments are so ugly. The majority of posts aren't talking about quests, or bugs, or combat, or anything I usually associate with RPG reviews. Instead, the comments are about "SJW" writing, lesbian characters in game, minority characters in game, how many blacksmiths are women, bathhouse dicks, and random ethnic group comments. Their posts have tags like "cuck".

Just ... what happened to the nerd community? I can't even imagine comments like this being so pervasive in discussion of other big-name RPGs, or, maybe I've been too busy to pay attention? I mean, the writing in POE2 isn't so far off the norm that it actually affects story and immersion, right? That seems hard to believe.

I am probably going to just buy an obsidian edition of the game now because I know I'll play it eventually anyway and it feels like a show of support for the game against a toxic community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Why are you taking it seriously? I've never even heard of, "rpgcodex."

They've had some interesting original content in the past, such as:
this GOTY survey/list http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10535
this top 70 RPG list http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453
and other discussions. It's just a RPG site.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Question: during character creation, there are various pre-set options for POE1 histories. What different effects do those have in-game?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How do you name uncharted islands? I can't figure it out in the UI, or maybe I haven't hit an uncharted island? Anyone have a video of this?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Agean90 posted:

you get the quest from the cartographer in queens berth then go explore the islands in the area he tells you to. you then do the short dungeon these islands have and when you leave it you'll get a popup asking you what you want to name the island

Thanks, I went back and got the quest and went into a mini-dungeon and got to name an island. Wanted those points for Berath's Blessings.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Inverness posted:

I still don't like this mechanic of companions not getting experience if they're not in the party.

I just got done with a quest and got Eder to level 7, now I want to try Pallegina a bit as the frontline fighter, but she is still level 6 with a good chunk to go.

It feels like the game is punishing you for not always rolling with the same companions, which I don't want to do.

I've seen conflicting posts on this, do companions "catch up" in xp when you re-add them to the party? Or is there really a significant penalty to not constantly rotating companions?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Unique companion subclasses so far:

Pallegina's Paladin
Xoti's Monk and Priest
Teheku's Druid
Maia's Ranger

I didn't multiclass Pallegina or Teheku, and Maia's Rogue isn't anything special. Who else gets subclasses?

Count Uvula posted:

Huh? Do you just mean people who have a unique subclass? If so, every full companion except Eder and Aloth have one I think.

If you want a list of those:
Serafen gets wild magic effects on his cipher abilities so sometimes he explodes himself or your whole party.
Tekehu gets a unique summon spell and does not have friendly fire on his water/ice spells.
Pallegina gets her unique Sworn Enemy variant from the first game.
Maia gets a bird with its own passive (bad) and a significantly larger gun range (good).
Xoti gets an on-kill bonus and at least one unique spell.

Whoa, so those companions get special skills not available to the main character? Any companion or sidekick other than those 5 get something special?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

What's the deal with monks and weapons? Can monks use swords and still use all their skills? Or other weapon types?

It seems like you miss out on the chance to use fun uniques w/ monk.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Thanks for all the replies, heh.

I shall make my first real character a monk! Wanted a DPS char that benefits from perception, and didn't want to multiclass Xoti.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

isk posted:

Specific ones I like: Devil of Caroc Breastplate from the weapon/armor shop in Neketaka's Terrace,

Does that always show up or is it dependent on choices made during save import / pre-made history selection?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How does something like that make it through public beta?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Firstborn posted:

So which is it? Is it still scaling correctly but just missing the difficulty indicator?

There are multiple posts from dudes playing on PotD with level scaling doing math on how level scaling must not be working. Other people posting on non-potd that it’s broken, possibly related to it getting turned off when you temporarily change difficulty level. At this point I can’t find someone that verifies it actually works as intended for an entire game.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

If the level scaling isn't working, that explains a lot.

Someone made a reddit PSA about it being entirely broken on r/projecteternity a couple hours ago so it’ll probably get dev attention tomorrow.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

frajaq posted:

finished a 100% content run just now on Hard, and I'm kinda disappointed by how easy the game became, and I can't even use that scaling poo poo properly because it doesn't even work?

Hopefully POTD will be more interesting and fun after the first official patch, until then I'm waiting on playing more of Deadfire, although I'm still curious about 2 faction routes

I'm really surprised nobody from OBS has commented about level scaling yet. If it doesn't work, it should be acknowledged. If it does work, it should be explained. If they don't know, they could ask for whatever information they're missing.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Oh, good, thanks. Hadn't seen that. I checked official forums, here, and a reddit thread but I can't hit all media sources.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beta patch notes are promising. If level scaling is really fixed and companion disposition super-acceleration gets fixed for patch, then, this may be the version for finally properly starting a game.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Akong posted:

A few. Not a lot.

In fact, I'd wager there are about a poo poo ton more people who put it on an easy difficulty to experience the world and the writing without the difficulty of the combat.

ha ha ha no way.

Speaking of combat is there a place to farm xp/gold without running out of enemies? Even via respawns?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pinned official wiki thread is here, so that second wiki
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98308-the-pillars-of-eternity-wiki-the-saga-continues/

but yeah it is... spartan.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

New beta is up recently:

quote:

Hello all,

We're putting build 89 live on the GOG and Steam Betas now. Here are the updates (main post updated as well):

These are the update notes for Beta Build 89

Major Fixes

Player Dispositions should change less drastically for small decisions.
Miscellaneous

Custom AI settings should now save changes when adding new conditionals or abilities.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98361-fixes-to-the-patch-beta-build/page-6

Anyone here running this?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone know ways to quickly "maximize positive" or "maximize negative" relationships with a companion to get the steadfast ally / burning bridges achievements? Can you get these before leaving tutorial isle, like after just an interaction or two?

This may be much easier to get before they fix dispositions.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

Anyone know ways to quickly "maximize positive" or "maximize negative" relationships with a companion to get the steadfast ally / burning bridges achievements? Can you get these before leaving tutorial isle, like after just an interaction or two?

This may be much easier to get before they fix dispositions.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can max negative with Pallegina by repeatedly praying at the shrine outside neketaka. Need 9 religion skill on a party member.

Good tip, thanks. Still looking for tutorial island options, though, if anyone knows of 'em.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

onesixtwo posted:

This, and put Tekehu in your party with you in order to get max approval at the same time. A friend mentioned he did it with Xoti, but I couldn't get any rep changes with her to show up.

This is the way to do it and it's literally 10 minutes outside of tutorial island.

Mission accomplished. It took 55 minutes from creating a new character to getting both achievements.

Tekehu tried to gently caress me like, when we first met, and another time after we first got to that shrine. Dude I've known you for 5 minutes and all we did was walk to 2 places.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Finally starting a real playthrough. Happy for 1.0.2!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Nasgate posted:

I know they worked on making the game pretty modable, [...]

I'm surprised POE2 doesn't support Steam Workshop. It's TYOOL 2018 and new RPGs should have this. Other recent purchases of mine, Stellaris and DOS2 did a great job incorporating support for player-created content directly via Steam or in-game. For POE2, you have to use nexusmods.com like you're playing Skyrim or w/e.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Working on my first non-throwaway playthrough, the fragments of whispers of yenwood were in my ship's cabiniet (captain's quarters). But the fragments of the blade of the endless path are nowhere to be found. Do they show up in the same spot / time as yenwood's? Why would they be missing? I am using the generic pre-made benevolent history, if that matters.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

No Pants posted:

They show up in the same container. They don't appear in created histories right now, just imported saves.

Well, the Yenwood frags showed up in a pre-made history for me. Guess I'll console in the Path frags.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

frajaq posted:

They appear in created stories but you have to select the option where you DIDN'T reforge the blade

yes they still haven't fixed it in the current patch

ugh I can't console it in without breaking achievements for this game. I guess I'll chalk this one up to a bug and hope it's patched later.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

my cipher was so boring toward the end of POE1 it’s the reason i’m using pre-made histories instead of importing.

clean break, no association with past

I do enjoy these games though!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Stokes posted:

Ship combat is so incredibly terrible and needlessly confusing that I'm already to call PoE1 vastly superior to 2.

yeah, I tried ship combat for 5 minutes in my first encounter and then decided, NOPE! Close and board. The actual boarding fight was fun. Maybe I need a non-starter-ship for cannon combat to be fun.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Your Parents posted:

I would also like to be able to change my crew at any port instead of having to specifically go back to neketaka every time.

yeah that was kind of surprising at first, but it makes sense. if they don't get on the boat with you, then they're not traveling to the next port, so you have to go back for them.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is there a comprehensive list of timed quests somewhere? Quests where, if you go do something else for too long instead of executing the quest, there will be consequences.

The only discussion I've seen of this is at this link: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98638-timed-quests-list/

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I understand that some questlines later in the game are mutually exclusive. Is there a big fat warning before you do something that will prevent you from finishing another questline? Or, how far can you go in various quests before you have to choose?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Introduce a forging system to craft your own unique items in a DLC. Boom most popular DLC ever.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Being able to program your own AI combat behavior is cool and makes up for the non-turn based aspects.

As an example my Rogue / Cipher wasn't dumping focus into the Soul Blade "dump all your focus for lol amounts of damage" ability, so I set it up to dump on the enemy which has dealt the most damage.

Now I get to watch as my toon fills up their meter, saunters casually over to some shithead mage and wrecks them.

I wish the game had an arena where you could endlessly fight a variety of enemies to try out AI scripts and various skills / parties.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hahaha jesus, I just sailed into my first storm (on accident, via auto-navigator).

ship lost with all hands, party dead. happy this wasn't a Trial of Iron run.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I like that they're datamining this stuff, should make balancing better in the end.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Nasgate posted:

So far the only noticeable thing is the gods loving you in various creative ways. Berath in particular was pretty neat. If you want to metagame, spoilers.

the stat boost blessing will negate most of Beraths temporary curse, sell all your scrolls before talking to Eothas a second time. You can immediately unequip Hyleas bird poo poo sails/hull.

I will say there's a noticeable amount of minor characters alive which seems odd to me. Having the Blade of Endless Paths fragments also feels off. It's not as bleak as the subtext makes it out to be. Unless you need Eder/Aloth/Pallagina I guess.

I thought blade of endless path fragments were bugged for all pre-set obsidian histories? I tried the top 2 pre-set history options and didn't get endless frags in my cabin, only the other one (1.0.2).

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm about 30h into my first real playthrough now, all under 1.0.2. Enjoying the game quite a bit. My main suggestion for future patches/DLC/mods relates to the fact that there's no easy way to just goof around testing combat skills with all your party members, especially on a variety of targets. You need to reload saves and go back to known fight areas with different party compositions, which is cheesy and time consuming.

It would be good if there was a "target dummy" area you could use combat spells on in town (or on a beach somewhere), and it would be GREAT if there was an "arena" where you could actually fight live enemies with a variety of different types/difficulties/numbers. Make it not count toward bestiary XP or only use species you've already unlocked in bestiary or whatever.

Raiding ships doesn't really count because those are all kith enemies, so you can't evaluate spells better suited when facing non-kith enemies.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone else have the issue that GeForce Experience will detect my Steam installation of POE1 when scanning for games, but will not detect POE2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Sanzuo posted:

Does everyone here think I should do all the content in PoE I or just blaze it to the end and pick up PoE II?

All you really need from POE1 is an emotional connection to the companions that show up in POE2, and a hatred of every other npc.