Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Do you choose your subclass at character creation or at some later level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

As I sit here waiting for the download to finish I've decided (1) I'm going to play hard even though I suck at these games and (2) PC is going to be a monk.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

5 minutes into Monk and already confused about unarmed attacks. Are unarmed considered melee weapons for all intensive purposes? Like Sure Strike on these gloves says +10% crit damage with weapons. I assume that means unarmed attacks too? Just not spells?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Is anyone else getting a hitch every three seconds or so?

Yes, fiddled with in-game graphics and didn't solve it. Updating drivers now.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Eggnogium posted:

Yes, fiddled with in-game graphics and didn't solve it. Updating drivers now.

Not sure if it was the new drivers or just restarting the game but it is gone for the moment.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Wow, thought the first island was very easy on Veteran, then foolishly went straight to Fort Deadlight, only to get promptly owned by the roughly 8000 guards in the secret dock. Guess I was meant to go to the city first?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Looking forward to agonizing all day over whether I'll restart the game when I get home from work or continue with my monk.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

So I bailed on my Shattered Pillar Monk run due to being confused about how certain weapon buffs work with unarmed. Stupidly picked Kind Wayfarer Paladin without thinking through the fact that this is the perfect game to play a chaotic evil pirate character so now I have to reroll yet again :negative:

Considering Barbarian who dual-wields sabres or a chanter with a big gently caress-off rifle as kind of a captain-type theme.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

What's a good stat line for the melee Devoted/Soul Blade that wants to mostly gently caress up some damage but also not die? The game just says everything's recommended so...

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Ummm, I just went through the conversation with Ferrante after leaving the first island and somehow came out of it without Serafan. This is my third time through because of rerolls so I was clicking through pretty fast but I'm still 99% sure I clicked the right option. Bug or misclick, is there any way to recruit him afterwards? I don't see him in the palace place at Dunnage where Ferrante is. It took me a few transitions in Fort Deadlight to notice so I don't have any autosaves or quicksaves from before the interaction.

Edit: I don't see any bug reports so looks like I done hosed up. Ugh, I am not going through the intro yet again right now, might just put this down and come back when DLC comes out.

Eggnogium fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 11, 2018

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

rope kid posted:

You can still find him at Fort Deadlight, bottom center of the exterior map.

Nowhere to be found there :( I did get into a ship battle from which I was losing badly and retreated by turning away from the ship and doing full steam ahead a few times but I assume companions can’t just die from cannon fire, can they?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Can someone who's beaten or gotten far in the game overview the system for factions quests? Is it like PoE1 where a few quests into a faction locks you out of the others? All others or just some that are more antagonistic?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Looking for difficulty level advice. I started up this game last week on normal mode, have gotten quite a bit through Nekataka and have found that combat-wise I'm just letting the AI trounce everything and my eyes glaze over on the level up screen because nothing matters.

I'm thinking of starting over at a higher difficulty and wondering what I should pick. I want to have to look through combat logs to see why I'm getting owned and use modals/consumables/buffs to overcome. I want to be crafty with positioning and AOEs instead of just starting every fight with an auto-attack and leaving it at that. I want to limit party AI actions to just those that I design myself to save clicks. Also I don't have much history with CRPGs besides playing PoE1 and DoS 1&2 on easy mode so I'm also probably not looking for the most absolutely hardcore experience that exists. And I want to play with the story companions, so not looking for anything that requires hiring mercs to be able to win.

So.. should I play on Veteran with all content level scaled or is that still going to be too easy and I should do PoTD? Also does TB vs RTwP affect difficulty? I'm leaning RTwP just because I assume it meshes with the original system a bit better while TB probably has some weird warts even though I've heard good things.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Thanks for the advice, all. I'm going to try Veteran with upward scaling first and see how that goes. Onward to several hours of character creation waffling!

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

I played through the first island on Veteran last night and am going to try turning it up to PoTD. It was definitely a lot better than normal and I had to reload once on the mini dragon in the excavation pit and gorrechi street fight, but still looking to bash my head against the wall a little harder I think.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

So I was right earlier, scaling in this is hosed. I was doing the Sealed Fate quest which is at or below my level according to the journal and when I run into the ambush all the enemies are 3-4 levels higher than me. Well time to quickload not gonna waste my time with that. Out of curiosity I turn off scaling, and guess what? Now they're at my exact level!

Yeah, what is up with this and how does scaling actually work? It's frustrating that half the quests in my journal are "at-level" and when I get there most of the time I encounter monsters 1-4+ levels above me. Are there "elite" monsters that always scale to your level+x? I can see that making some sense for x=1 or x=2 but I assume that's not what's going on when my level 8 quest throws a level 14 monster at me and I'm level 10.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

IIRC the difficulty setting affects the scaling. So they scale higher on PotD and Veteran

Even when I was running normal and without level scaling there were still some discrepancies between quest level and monster level. Like Cornett's Call is a level 8 quest but the monster at the end is level 12? So I think the baseline quest levels are just wrong and adding (apparently variable) level scaling on top of that just exacerbates it.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

prometheusbound2 posted:

This is why 1984, Animal Farm, and the works of Ayn Rand are poor works of literature (their political viewpoints notwithstanding). The characters and themes are archetypes and mouthpieces for the writer.

Off topic but 1984 doesn't belong in that category. Its ideas and political language have obviously overshadowed its characters in popular imagination and influence, but it is also a compelling love story and it couldn't be without capable character work.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

i enjoy SSS and FS but do wish they weren't gated by plot progession as they were cause its a weird arc to hit that point then be like, ok, time to go back and spend a lot of time elsewhere

BoW you can do whenever (though with high level bar of entry) and that's what I kind of prefer

maybe it's my own sense of plotting but once i do magran's i feel the game is telling me i need to put aside all this adventuring and get to finishing this and SSS and FS coming after that feel a bit jarring

Hm I have not actually gotten to that point in the game, but I'm currently doing faction quests before going to Magran's Teeth, and I would say the entire game after Port Maje seems to have this problem. It was not a good idea to make the main antagonist a giant statue walking towards an apocalypse and have 90% of the content be side quests.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

How do you counter Llengrath's Safeguard? Getting owned by the dragon at the beginning of BoW because I can't to do damage to it for 60 full seconds.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Yeah I'm on veteran with upscaling and have honestly not paid attention to concentration at all. Seems like the game just took a huge upward difficulty spike with the endgame content and it's sad knowing I have no future spells to mitigate. I'll try switching Maia to crossbow and see how it goes.

Kind of annoyed by the in-game fight UI on these harder fights. No way I can see to tell how much concentration an enemy has. I can see what status effects they have but not what they actually do. I can see the icon for what they're currently casting but can't get a tooltip on what it actually does.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Ended up having a grimoire with Arcane Cleanse. Crossbow tip was still useful though as removing concentrations let me interrupt/prone to deal with his big spell that pulls you in then terrifies (nasty combo as your dudes proceed to run away and take disengagement attacks... and sometimes even rinse and repeat). This game is fun when it's hard.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

Beat Deadfire last night, enjoyed the game overall but mixed feelings about the last 5-10 hours. I felt like I was doing everything and just barely hit level 20 before the game ended so I didn't really get to explore my fully evolved "build" for my characters. I assume you have to do the DLC before Ukaizo and I didn't pick it up so I guess I could revert to an earlier save.

I found the ship combat superfluous and boring. I don't know why they put so much work into it but I guess its just one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time. I ended up boarding everyone to speed things up. Turn based mode in general things took a little too long but it was really cool they were able to somehow patch it in. I got a lovely ending for not supporting any of the dickhead factions in the game but oh well. I thought all of the companions were really well done except for Serafen whose story sucked and his contribution in combat was somehow even worse.

I'm almost sad I went Monk first because it gets crazy powerful and I don't see what else could come close to the same durability and damage.

Hm I hit level 20 and still had a lot of stuff left:

- Kill Nemnok (and you bet your rear end I killed him even after he shrunk down, gently caress that fight)
- Final mapping the archepelego quest
- All 3 DLCs
- Ashen Maw and rest of story after it
- I think there's one base game side quest still locked behind Ashen Maw?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Came back to my veteran playthrough after a couple months off: wrapped up BoW and started SSS but this may just be too hard for me. I'm getting utterly annihilated on the Maerwald fight and I've iterated on it for like 2 hours without getting any better.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

ilitarist posted:

This is a rare occurrence in an RPG when you want a peaceful resolution cause fighting them might be too much.

Ha, rare? I find myself doing it a lot in the PoE2 DLCs. Took me hours to beat the dragon in BoW, then 10 minutes later I come across Rymergand and it took me two seconds to decide, yes, I will gladly give my eternal soul to you in order to not have to fight another boss right now.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never really messed around with healing pots in this game but one some of the SSS fights I'm just straight running out of healing spells and need a little more in the tank. So I put some in each party members quick bags but when I use them, I see the action icon turn into a potion looking thing, the character does an animation that looks like they're chugging something... and then nothing happens. The potion is still in inventory, no health is gained, and they just go back to auto-attack. Am I complete idiot or is this a hosed up bug?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Yeah, that's a bugger. I only use auto-attack AI so I'll just flip it off/on when drinking. Thank you for the tip.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

I wish I had done turn based for sure, but at this point I've finished BoW and FS, and am halfway through SSS, and I'm not going to start over now.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Beat the game finally last night. Real good game, glad I switched to veteran: there were some really, really tough encounters but it was always satisfying to get through them because I had to dig deep in the toolbox and really think things through. Exactly what I'd hoped for and I hope there will be a successor some day.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Oasx posted:

I like the setting of the Pillars games, but I don't know how interesting it would be if you took away everything else that made the games unique. I am still hoping for a third game with the same kind of style.

Same. I don't really give a poo poo about RTwP vs turn based, would be happy with either or some good hybrid or whatever. But I would like it the encounters to stay heavy on strategy and not dump that for action, which a perspective change kind of implies.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Some moments that look uniquely awesome in PoE2 because of the 2d-3d hybrid graphics:

- Fighting against the mage in FS where there's that giant laser beam (sound effects do a lot of work here too).
- Waking up after the storm clears in Ukaizo and noticing Eothas way in the back just wailing on buildings.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

I strongly group Witcher 3 in with those Bethesda games. There's that one guy with the hoarse voice. It's a good voice! But it's extremely recognizable and he voices like 25 different quest givers.

The PoE2 voice that I remember most is the one that's like an old lady. Couldn't name a single NPC that uses it but I can still hear it in my head.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Are there any good newbie guides or tips you guys wanna share for someone who has never played D&D or even Baldur's Gate?

I'm currently paralyzed at the class selection screen. I normally play a magic caster in RPGs but per the OP I'm learning more towards a Paladin or Druid

Keep in mind your party has 5 slots and you can fill the other 4 from 13 unique companions, and even hire personality-less goons if you really want a specific class. In combat your main character isn't particularly special compared to the companions so your main character's class doesn't matter as much as it would in a non-party RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Lucas Archer posted:

I’m sure people have mentioned this before, but the fact Deadfire is so open ended means I end up ignoring quests for a while - and when I finally get around to them, I just ~crush~ my opponents. I had a battle with a bunch of druids that I expect was supposed to be difficult. Not too tough when I roll in there at level 15 and explode all of them in 2 rounds with high level AOE spells.

There's an option to scale enemy levels up to yours wherever you go. It doesn't work quite as I expected it to though, sometimes it seems to make enemies that should be my level actually be above my level. And like the DLC content is still far, far harder than the base endgame despite both being "scaled" to level 20. But I found it worked decently to prevent things from getting too easy.