Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Wait, can you actually romance the sword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So apparently porting the save leads to some bugs? Do I still get the PoE1 "light" bits if I do a buildout of my options?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
As someone who had the ending to PoE spoiled for him in the first few days due to the old PoE thread being spoiler happy, this game has actually got me fired up to finally beat PoE.

Who cares that I know how PoE ends, that was just the middle mark, PoE2 has the actual ending. It's like learning the big event in the middle of Wolf 2, it's not the actual ending!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Right? It's hard to be mad at this

Double the Eder eh.

e: you need to romance eder as eder. you know this right. you have a duty to this thread now.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
ropekid can you romance the sword.

asking for a friend.

this is important. he is thinking of boosting resolve over this.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I think the biggest accomplishment I can tie to PoE2 is it actually makes this world be realized.

Like I liked PoE1. But half the poo poo that game threw at me was nonsense. Here at the Orlans they might be hobbits and live in ???? Ixamitl is a mystery also racism. Here are the shark people, god loving knows what they are about. We have Elves, maybe? There is an Empire somewhere we broke away from and god knows what that place might be like. Literally everyone knows everything about it, but boy howdy nobody says a drat thing about actually being there. Readceras is maybe bigger/Rome to Dyrwood, but also maybe a backwater shithole? THE WHITE THAT WENDS AND IT'S COMPLETE LACK OF EVERYTHING. Or gently caress, the hell is the Living Lands. Still.

So every time I played PoE I played as a human. Because I felt like I had to. Because I knew approximately jack poo poo about this world despite looking over every map, and trying to find every bit of lore rope kid ever posted. It felt like I never really connected with Eora, and it always really bummed me out.

Now with PoE2 I feel like I have a better understanding of Eora. Orlan Cipher I always wanted to play? He fits in both PoE1 and PoE2 now because hey man these fish people are crazy. Crazy shark Ranger? Sure he fits here somewhere. Here's what the shark people act like back at home, here's a different region, etc. Rather then the still very eurocentric Dyrwood, Deadfire feels like a place these races can shine.

I really wish there was a really basic map. Like as I googled this apparently rope kid doesn't want to block off future writers by making these other areas definitive until they get to them, but I feel like it overall weakens Eora. I left PoE knowing only that Aedyr also existed and was to the West across the sea. But for whatever reason I thought the land the Dyrwood was on was actually a big ol continent similar to Europe, same with Aedyr being the North America. I thought Ixamitl was it's own landmass....somewhere ( apparently it's just north of Readceras? Who knew! ). Apparently this planet is significantly more ocean based then most worlds ( who knew! ).

( no ropekid seriously, whats the story with the Living Lands. I get you don't want to flesh it out too much, but what is it's thing. It's got basically nothing outside of you can be from there. How is it a great green happy place when it looks to be basically the North Pole. Is it magical? Is there a cool magical story you got hiding somewhere you can't tell us as to why the Living Lands is full of giant crazy plants and lush green hills despite being the North Pole? ).

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, not to continue this RPGCodex derail, but a very popular thread there for quite some time was guessing what Richard Spencers favorite cRPG probably was.

It's nazis. It's nazis all the way down. Not ironic nazis. Just nazis.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Like frankly I think it's a combination of factors unfortunately.

People don't like leaving their comfort zone. Deadfire was extremely out of the comfort zone, being a pirate RPG focused around Polynesian culture.

Pillars 1 was a good game, but not a great game. It was budget nostalgia and some people wanted the full breadth. Many people took out their "eh that was ok" to not get excited for Deadfire.

We hit a weird mark between PoE1 and PoE2. Kickstarter started losing ground, and at the same time Pillars started getting competition. Wasteland 2, Torment, Divinity, Pathfinder, everyone threw their hat in the ring. When you fallback to point 2, people weren't so willing to pick up Deadfire because they never got excited by Pillars 1.

I'm frankly ok with no Pillars 3 as long as ropekid gets something new to work on. I love the dudes work. I wish it took off, but it's hard to get people excited about a better sequel I think if they had bad experiences with the first half. ( For the record, I loved PoE1, and Deadfire is in my greatest games of all time list. ).

On that note, my biggest worry right now is

A Sometimes Food posted:

Honestly my big concern with this is, Deadfire with bad sales and Outer Worlds with good sales.

If Outer Worlds becomes the model for Obsidian going forward. Yikes.

Deadfire is one of my favourite games of all time. I don't think Outer Worlds makes the top ten for October 2019.

Literally every real life friend that got super hype for Outer Worlds and told me it was going to be GOTY stopped playing fairly quickly. Even my coworker that basically JUST plays Skyrim/Fallout stuff who talked about how excited she was to play it for the last few weeks pretty much bounced off it. Every thread online has bounced off it.

It sold well off marketing/style, but that's not a model that can last forever. I don't see an Outer Worlds 2 doing gangbusters off the collective hype deflation that's happening off this. Really terrified Obsidian goes down this hole though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So uh, maybe spoilers.

I loved Pillars 1, but never got around the fully finishing it due to HARDCORE BAD LIFE poo poo. Kinda wanna go through it/2 right now, because I've got a deep seated need for CRPGs and Pillars had the most enjoyable systems/companions of the modern ones I've played.

Does 2 uh, end on a pretty definitive note? I saw the thing about no more Pillars, and it's been bumming me out enough to not really pick up 2.

Also rope kid, why do people not appreciate your games enough!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So we know rope kid is working on something right? Playing through Pillars 1 again, and I'm just reminded of how much his game system style just meshes with everything I enjoy in gaming. Even if it's not Pillars related, hoping we see a Sawyer RPG coming in the future.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
gently caress it, coming back. Help me pick my class. Going to be running Eder/Aloth/Pallegina/Durance? as core with a rotating Sagani/Hiravias/Kana, maybe Maneha/Zahua/Devil depending, never played with them first time around.

I usually go Fighter when I do RPGs. Two frontline dudes is never a bad thing if I like the Fighter companion, but if I don't like the Fighter I can then handle a crucial role. But in Pillars I'll be always running Eder and Pallegina so frontline is filled.

Priest feels like a good fit for this game, but I'm kind of conflicted. I don't 100% know where then ending goes, but I was kinda spoiled. If I do go down this path, I feel like picking the right god would be.....very important. I'll spoiler the next bit. Which gods would best fit a character that'd presumably be working with them/against them as Pillars moves forward. I suppose I could always class change going in to 2, couldn't I? Is Magran pretty chill/trying to fix stuff? Berath actually feels like a pretty good choice here judging from what I know of the intro of Deadfire.. I'd also ideally probably want to make a battle priest type deal who works as a third frontliner with Eder and Pallegina, not sure how that'd work.

Cipher seems neat obviously. And I wouldn't have a Cipher otherwise. But I also tend to get bored fast by wizard type characters. How much weird mind stuff does this open up, that's frankly my main interest in the class.

I'm just so torn trying to choose my class in a way I usually am not!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is Deadfire a good place to say a Human is from?

The og country stuff is so weird. It's like "Empire basically everyone is probably from." "Sharkperson island a Sharkperson is probably from." "Deadfire?" "Sicily" "Antartica. Nobody lives here." "The North Pole. Nobody lives here." "Ixmatil. Don't ask what this is.".

Do people live in Ixmatil? What do they do. How about the Living Lands. What does Living Lands culture look like. gently caress if I know. Why can't I choose Dyrwood, or Readceras, or Eir Glanfath.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is there any info on what the fall of Grand Valia looked like from the inside?

It took roughly 100 years, but was there further falls past that? A point where the average citizen would realize it had collapsed? Regions that were still decently prosperous holding up for a short while after the transition to "Old" Valia?

It's been 200 years since it started its fall, but only really 100 at its worst decline.

Kinda playing with this idea of a Valian who is 30ish still hearing of the greatness of Grand Valia as he grew up, but then watching the whole thing just further collapse into piracy. But not sure if that timeline is even feasible.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I really doubt that the detailed narrative critiques are any part of Deadfire's relative commercial lack of success, most people who buy and play video games don't get anywhere near that deep into it. According to steam stats most people don't finish most games they buy.

I mentioned the fig thing above and that's part of it but the other thing I think is big is that it was competing with D:OS 2 and D:0S 2 had an amazing character builder with stunning graphics that really frontloaded the "make a cool character" feeling that's half the fun of an RPG for most people. Hell, I've never finished DOS2 because the gameplay turned into a shopping simulator and I never finished Outer Worlds because it got repetitive and I got distracted by Disco Elysium and didn't go back. Both of those games (DOS 2 and Outer Worlds) had much bigger narrative and gameplay problems than Deadfire did, they were just visually more impressive.

By comparison, Deadfire's character maker was relatively drab, partly due to legacy elements from the first game and partly due to just a more naturalistic and realistic overall color scheme, closer to the BG games.

I think if Deadfire had been launched on Kickstarter and had had a glowy and sparkly high-resolution character generator it'd have done just as well as DOS 2.

I was literally just thinking this as I back to backed PoE1/2 followed up by now DOS 1 and 2.

They are totally different games.

Pillars is backloaded. The best content comes after Act 1, Defiance Bay is awesome, the later zones have the companions start to flesh out, and gives you more "fun" companions. Later zones is when the combat starts to open up. Act 1 of Pillars 1 is probably the worst Pillars experience in both games, because it doesn't give you enough information ( sends you to two level 4 zones instantly in Temple/Caed Nua ), lot of encounters the combat system struggles with ( spirits ), lot of empty zones ( emulating BG1 ). Add in some basic budget issues like the character models/UI stuff and it just doesn't feel great until you let it feel great. It isn't until the plot starts to open up does Pillars really start to shine, as more and more threads coalesce and your choices start to have ripple effects on the world.

Meanwhile Divinity is frontloaded. The best content is the first 20 hours. In OS1 they didn't even have voice acting for a lot of the later zones yet, empty quest hubs, tons of broken quests. But few saw that, because few actually finished OS1 when it launched. They loaded it up and saw a ton of options for character creation, played Coop with a friend and largely just dicked around Cyseal, saw the gorgeous UI art like the opening container animations, saw all the wonderfully fun voice acted first act stuff, etc etc. And wow, obviously Original Sin is the better RPG! But they never got to the end, which was largely unfinished because who finishes an RPG these days. And it worked, it gave Larian tons of time to come back around a year later and finish off the end of the game, add tons of new content, and fix up the main quest stuff.

And if you talk to anybody about both games, that's the generalist statement. Pillars 1 is dreary, hard, boring, they never really got past Caed Nua. The plot's confusing and doesn't go anywhere. Companions aren't great, etc etc. These were common statements here on SA, on RPGCodex, and elsewhere. People weren't willing to push through all the first Act, so they came in, wrote rave reviews when they realized it was a BG1 like by Obsidian, and then never really managed to keep the momentum going to get to the real meaty parts of the game. Come 2 they had no intention of buying in, and the negative sentiment led to a lot of "I hope this one will actually be good, I'll buy it after enough time has passed.".

Meanwhile Original Sin was a breath of fresh air, a new take on the formula. Equally critically loved, but more importantly loved by players. It's gorgeous, tons of work done, tons of reactive choices, tons of neat stuff like the pyramids/coop, etc etc etc. Never seeing that if they kept playing past a certain point all that falls off because Larian wasn't able to finish the game on the budget, so they were seeing the best parts of the game in the front. And so when it came time for OS2 the sentiment was "oh my god I can't see what Larian does next!" "OS1 was the best RPG I've ever played." etc etc etc. Huge amounts of positive momentum and positive word of mouth pushing it forward.

I don't think PoE2s sales problems have anything to do with PoE2. You don't get low sales on a game that's being received well like that unless there are outside issues. And there were. People didn't take to Pillars 1 well at all. Yes it was reviewed well, but the generalist internet response was negative.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

KNR posted:

I finished act II in PoE and it was still a dreary, boring game. Defiance Bay was exactly the sort of 'pause the game for 10 hours of lore dumps, faction introductions and fetch quests' RPG town I hate. All the companions were boring and/or unlikeable, except Eder. In fact, I dropped the game after grieving mother dumps 10 pages of Chris Avellone huffing his own farts 5 seconds after meeting her, then gives a trivia quiz to check if you were huffing along.

Doesn't help that I hate RTwP and found it to alternate between meaningless autocombat and fights alternating 3 seconds of flashing lights all over the screen following by reading the tiny combat log to find out what actually happened.

I found Kingmaker with the TB mod to be a much more enjoyable experience throughout in pretty much every possible way, despite also dragging on way too long.

Original Sin 1 does completely fall apart after the 1st map though, even playing it after all the updates it has had. The other maps must have been insanely dreadful if what they're now counts as them being fixed. That first map is amazing and about as long as I played PoE, though.

Basically as soon as you left the Cyseal map the game ended, no voice acting, basically no NPCs. Entire villages of people just not having anything to say. No real quests. Just a slog to the end boss.

Coming back around I think Obsidian has a real problem with intros and starting their games. KotOR2 and Peragus. NWN2 with West Harbor and the slooooow crawl out. Alpha Protocol with the slow Graybox bits and Saudia Arabia. Pillars 1. Their best games are the ones where they trust the player and world and just let you out with very minimal guidance like New Vegas. Hell, Goodsprings is probably the weakest part of New Vegas if you stick around also.

They consistently have good, cool ideas that take the player 10+ hours to even start to see the basics of how the game will be running after the fact. It's a tutorial followed by a guided experience, but the guided experience is always massive.

Compare this again to OS1 which I feel had a great intro. Here's a random beach with a few quests/get you to understand the conversation system organically. Here's a dungeon you can do if you want. If you do, it's got some really basic traps to avoid to teach you those systems. Ok, good job, here's the game, total time needed was 30 minutes. Everything is open to you now. You'll figure out the rest as you go, we wanted to show you the cool poo poo ASAP.

Like there needs to be an understanding that most people will not play a game past 20-30 odd hours. You need to frontload the poo poo out of your game, and need to get people into the good bits ASAP. And Obsidian doesn't do that. They ask you to take 10-20 hours to go through and get some slow world building and then ok, now it's time for the real game to begin, but by that point people are totally checked out.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
It's funny how people argue so vehemently against Onekaza when she is quite literally forced to make lovely choices to save her people ( and this is part of her character ), and resurrection is a known quantity in this setting.

Like yes, she's doing awful poo poo. But guess what, she's fighting THREE SEPARATE MAJOR POWERS while trying to maneuver some tribes that don't always get along great to stick together.

Like her endstate isn't "Maybe I get exiled for failure." or "Oh no, we didn't win! Time to go home." it's the complete subjugation and removal of her people. And she's the bad guy for doing whatever it takes?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

rope kid posted:

Part of my thinking is that the Vailian Republics, in contrast to Old Vailia, were able to largely lose/reset the centuries-old rivalries that plagued their home. The Vailian colonies developed their own, new identities that were defined more by mutual aid and cooperation than rivalry. That doesn't mean that the city states lack identity or rivalry, but that they're more united than, e.g. Renaissance Italian city states.

In contrast, Grand Vailia was destroyed by civil wars/rebellions/internecine fighting.

When you say destroyed, how are we talking?

I asked this before and it's one of the big mysteries for me in the setting. What is Old Vailia like -now-. What was it like 30 years ago when the Watcher was presumably born. How quick was the decline. What's the quality of life. Where is it on the path to stabilizing.

Like destroyed implies a near Mad Maxian setup, when it sounds like it's more just a pale shadow of it's old glory but still a functioning nation ingame. Or is it just in a constant state of civil war? Are there cities that have largely remained unscathed like capitol cities, where people can still believe in the good old days. Or is the whole thing kind of gone to poo poo now. Is it still in a state of civil war, or has that started to simmer.

There is obviously still a longing for Grand Vailia, and there are still people who attach themselves to it. I'm trying to think of a real world analogue for a state that basically ceased existing in the way Old Vailia is presented, which makes this hard. Also since the "destroyed" is kind of vague. In the real world, most failed states are quickly consumed by their neighbors, or just fizzle out.

The only real analogues I can even think of are things like Poland/EE post WW2, where the people still existed but the nations didn't. Or again those nations post USSR when they had to rebuild with very little to nothing. Or I guess something like Somalia, or the collapse of Yugoslavia, but both those situations felt more ethnically based then what seems to be happening in Old Vailia.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I've wondered that myself, what life is like for the average Old Vailian Joe. I kind of imagine old noble families in closed-off mansions surrounded by urban ruins full of scavengers

Yeah, like Aedyr has a good chunk of background to make assumptions off of. It's Imperialist, Elf/Human based, pulling from the culture of both. We can see a lot of it's influences in the Dyrwood/Raedceras. It's very much so taking cues from England/France.

I can envision what average Aedryan life is like.

But like Old Vailia is either a total wasteland Mad Max thunderdome style where there is nothing left, or like vaguely in a civil war, or like maybe fine just weak.

It's in a state of chaos, but most of the major actors have fled so is whats left just mindless mob justice like post French Revolution?

Culturally where does it stand. Is it fairly similar to the Republics, just more beholden to the Princes? Is it rapidly turning into a more proletariat/Democratic based structure as the Princes are killed off/leave and regular people are left see France/Russia. Or is it more falling into a crime/militia based society like many African nations. Or are there still enough strong authority figures left behind trying to salvage what remains. Or is none of this true and it's stable, just nowhere near it's old glory and never will be again.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Sad it's not a Pillars 3.

Glad to be back in the world.

I'm guessing Josh has something else he's working on. I assume he's happy with whatever he's working on. Sounded like he was pretty burnt out on Pillars after 2.

I assume he's helped with worldbuilding. It's his sgetting after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
tbh pressuring people to make stuff doesn't tend to lead to good products.

If the PoE team wants to keep making PoE I think they can get a budget for it now thanks to Microsoft.

There are obviously people at Obsidian with a torch for the world, Avowed is a sign of that, so it's not like Eora is going to die off.

If they want to make new things, that's cool to. If those things are CRPGs or TBRPGs that's neat. I like those a lot.

It's not like the genre is dead anymore. Obsidian can take a few years off to make other neat poo poo. Grounded is a lot of fun for example. Creative people make their best work when they are allowed to be creative, not forced to make the same genre over and over again because it's what the fans want/expect.