Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Just spent an hour going through the prologue part. It seems like my import save was screwed up, Eder is talking about the "Night Market", when I am fairly sure he was Mayor in my save.

Echoing others in the thread I am having some issues with unrecognised clicks and most infuriatingly that the audio briefly cuts out whenever a conversation option is picked. Any background music stops and then starts again.

Currently booting up my final Pillars 1 save to see what the outcomes of my Watchers story were before continuing to cross check with how it appears in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

mem posted:

Didn't notice the graphics hitching but I definitely get some kind of hitch in the music at times during dialogue. In a game with this much dialogue I fear for my sanity.

I have this too, it doesn't seem to be reported on the Obsidian forums yet but I will make an account to post there tomorrow. I think I am going to hang back until a patch next week. Mainly because of non-mayor Eder which makes me super unsure about other bugs related to my imported save game.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Captain Mediocre posted:

Has anybody made a Druid yet, and if so what did you match them with? Druid-Ranger looks like it might be fun but I don't know that there is much actual synergy there to overcome the multiclassing penalties.

Nothing. I have just decided to go all in on electricity and STORM BLIGHT form. I have a feeling it will work really good with Rogue though if you want to spiritshift a lot. In Pillars 1, picking apprentice sneak attack was basically an I win the game button for spiritshift.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I got Pallegina to disobey her orders and strengthened the Dyrwood in the first game. I just looked at the flavour text on her armour in the second game and it said she obeyed her orders. I think they'll get importing to a "close enough" state and then just declare the bugged bits Canon, there's too many bubbles popping up to ever get all them

Presumably they have written all the dialogue and reactivity for all these states though. I think they will repair it all eventually, seems like a huge waste of time to just sack all that stuff off. Plus repairing it all will get people to replay the game and suck them back in for some sweet DLC season pass money.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

The voice work is really good, especially considering how much of it there is and how many funny accents there are

I'm just getting stuck in for the first time after waiting for the patch and I am 100 % in agreement with you. Between Elgrim and the various Townsfolk I am blown away by the voice acting so far. I think Xoti's actress is particularly good.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Kana Rua was the only cameo I found in my first playthrough and it was the only one I needed. You monster.

Hello? HELLOoooOOO?

Miss having Kana around. He was a total bro and you know he would have some baller chants to teach your crewmen and be full of cool ~lore~ about sharkmen and huana culture.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Smith Comma John posted:

I'm sorry for real but that's hilarious

Zurai posted:

I'd love to play the game, but unfortunately every quest I get seems to inevitably lead to an encounter with a cave grub, and encounters with cave grubs end 2 seconds later with a crash, 100% of the time. Every monster of the cave grub family, from the Giant Cave Grub to Cave Grublings, causes the crash.

If you want to prep a savegame for testing purposes, a bloke in Neketaka docks near the shipwright sells a grub summoning item.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

Picked this up on accident, confusing it for a sequel to the other game with the initials P.o.E.

I always hated the battle system in Baldur's Gate. Real time with pausing just sucks in my opinion and I'd prefer the option for straight turn based like Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2. Is there any option for that?

No, not really. You can be incredibly stringent with the auto-pause function to attempt to make it as "turn based" as possible. But it probably won't satisfy you. The naval combat is turn based. Perhaps time to test the Steam refund option?

By the way, I always wondered if anyone confused the two PoE games and now with Polynesian / Maori influences in both titles it has finally happened!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Is secret loot still in the game? I haven't found a single pink hidden container so far, unlike the first game where it seemed everyone was hiding poo poo under their floorboards. Do you have to be in Stealth mode to find them?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I really don't understand why Obsidian appears to believe that *weapons* which do friendly-fire damage are a good idea.

It's one thing with spells because those are individual chosen events and you can target them specifically.

Weapon AoEs just do not work that way, because the area of effect is determined by character positioning, rather than spell targeting, so you're always going to be splashing damage around unless you're genuinely obsessive about character placement.

Also do not get me started on the Blunderbuss modal AoE which, uniquely among all AoE effects in the entire game, does not even show the targeted area. I guess you're just supposed to learn where the lines are by intuition or some poo poo, built in Expert Mode feature.

Could be good options for solo runs though. I immediately thought that with the cyclone poll-axe.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I am really confused about Power Levels and this item: Lord Darryn's Voluge. I have upgraded it (amazing mechanism to upgrade with the Storm, one of the most epic uses of the cyoa screens in the series) and I thought it was going to combo AMAZINGLY with my druid and his storms and wildstrikes. It doesn't seem like this +3 Storm power level actually does anything to my spells with the keyword "Storm" though. If you check the screens of one of my storm spells, the penetration isn't affected by the Voluge nor is the damage output. The Voluge grants you a cool Chain Lightening spell, also with the keyword storm which gets +3 Pen from the Voluge (which, I assume, comes from the +3 Power Level although it isn't very clear) and its Damage is similarly boosted, though the tooltip makes it seem like that is due to the "Superb" modifier of the item it is associated with. So is my take on this item, that it should boost ALL of my storm spells correct, or does it only boost the Chain Lightening that is associated with wielding it making it less good?

Note in the tool tip for power level it says associated with the CHARACTER and not the ITEM, so I think it should be modifying all my spells?

I am still going to use it though, because it looks kickass and is the best weapon I have found so far.

mitochondritom fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 12, 2018

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i think power levels just give you something like a 5-10% damage boost per +power level. not anything insane but decent enough. maybe check the damage on a storm spell with it equipped and without it equipped?

That is a pro-idea and I am kicking myself for not actually checking that. Will boot up and look now. So it looks like the Damage gets + 30 % Druid Power Level modifier, which I guess is 10 % per 1 of the 3 added Storm power levels from the Voluge. The Penetration has an extra 0.2 *3 for a total of + 0.6 making it 13 vs 12 without the Voluge. I guess it is working as intended, but the actual way the power levels translate into effects is sort of obfuscated. The weapon specifying STORM power levels and the tool tip reporting on DRUID power levels is where I got lost.

Before I started this game, I debated with myself for about an hour whether to be a FURY or just a normal Druid. I eventually decided on being a normal Druid, but after this weapon I wish so badly to have picked fury to become a storm blight monster.

mitochondritom fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 12, 2018

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Alchemy lets you Heal the corrupted Delemgan woman on the island with the golden map ruin thing I think that also requires you to be a druid though.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Another could have booked it on over to wherever Rekke comes from and be living the good life as GOD

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Re: Druid POTD chat. I went with a single-classed Animist and have been doing absolutely fine starting on POTD mode. Also using the Darryn's Volgue because of thematic reasons. My Watcher doesn't seem to have too much trouble with anything except iron constructs with huge armour (which seems to be a problem for everyone on my team). It seems at least for me, that POTD is still pretty viable with "whatever" as your team. There are enough tips and tricks to pull you through every encounter. I also use Tekehu as a Chanter and he seems to be really useful too. I don't want anyone to be put off playing the game however they want because they get the impression that it can't be done. Non-optimal sure, but it is all very doable.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I dunno about PotD, but there's plenty of room for playing non-optimally on lower difficulties without turning the game into a slog for sure.

I am playing on POTD and my general first time approach to these games has been "do whatever". I make the barest minimum of effort to optimise or min-max my characters. I pick which skills sound cool and see where it takes me. I have been enjoying the game and it is just about challenging-but-not-too-challenging for me. The caveat is that I started the game prior to the POTD upgrade patch and so my Druid might never have made it off Port Maji if I was to restart. Also unsure if the POTD patch retroactively affects my save (I assume yes) so I might be in for a shock on further playthroughs.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I absolutely love how much effort has been put into all the languages and cultures in this game. In particular the folc who speak like Iselmyr. I must have been to the swimming pool to listen to the voice actress for Udyne about 4 or 5 times now. Its brilliant and despite my misgivings about fully voiced dialogue, I think Obsidian have smashed it here in terms of variety and not Bethesda style "Its Lynda Carter as EVERYONE". Shout out to Berath's Death Guard underneath the Temple in Neketaka who also has Hylspeak

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I like the sidekicks, they are like BG1 characters who have their own art, voices and occasional cool thing. They meet a happy medium between making your own mercenary dude and having more options of people to adventure with. I haven't really found that there is a huge amount of NPC interaction or interjection so it is working well for me. Mirke has a really strong combo class.

I would absolutely go as far as to say that I would have been fine with ALL the NPCs being a sort of half-way house between full companion and sidekick, unique art and voices for all and then have each one have a few interjections at relevant points and then some sort of reaction at key plot points. No relationship system, no romances, no in depth conversational trees to decipher. Basically more akin to BG1.

mitochondritom fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 3, 2018

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Poll for the new weapon

Disgusting that people are voting for a Bow over the superior choice of Pollaxe.

Edit: Obsidian should just make all 4.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I believe I am drawing towards the end of all the stuff in Deadfire and my team is now ~ level 18. There are a few areas that are absolutely wrecking me though, to an almost frustrating level. Does anyone have any pro-strats to deal with either:

Fampyrs and Alguls in the Splintered Reef? No idea why these suckers are so goddam tanky. Despise charm mechanics in games and despite deliberately using Resolve boosting food AND specing all my characters into the talent that resists will attacks, it seems like 3 Fampyrs and 3 guls is enough to wreck me regardless. They are just nuts. Xoti has a spell that is supposed to destroy vessels, but it doesnt seem to work on Fampyrs? Is this bugged?

Also the fire worshipping Naga and Eoten in the temple to the north west of the map. Upon entering the temple is a trap room with walls of fire, surrounded by Naga archers. Again, just no chance and my crew is pincushioned within seconds.

Don't know about anyone else, but on POTD with no scaling, my experience has been either I demolish everything with zero challenge, or the fight is impossible unless you leave and come back later when you outlevel it massively. Now that I am nearing level 20, my options to return later are wearing out.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

My GOTY is Pillars of Eternity 1, which I played through for the 4th time (1st on Path of the Dammed) in the months prior to Deadfire's release.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Does using the mod preclude you from obtaining Berath Blessings and Steam achievements?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

I just bought the PoE board game.

I hope it doesn't suck.

Is that "Lords of the Eastern Reach" ? If so, I have it and think its pretty good. I have played it a few times with my partner as a 2 player version, but it is much more fun with 3 or 4 people as you can scheme / plot and attack each other.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I think the problem is that Orcs became Aumaua and were genuinely turned into something interesting with a slightly different spin on it, leading to shark people with weresharks. Similarly tedious hobbit halflings became Orlans, who to my mind, seem more like how some people imagined hobbits i.e as weird rabbit people. In Eora, Elves and Dwarves are sort of just Elves and Dwarves. The Pargrunen master smiths are basically straight out of middle earth and nothing really distinguishes Aloth from any posho elf in another fantasy game.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Aumaua weren't really anything interesting until deadfire either, so I think that's mainly an issue of scope and not really having time to explore elves in depth yet.

Maybe not fleshed out, but they weren't "HURR DURR WE ARE NOBLE SAVAGE BARBARIANS" like generic orcs are. Kana Rua talks about Rautai and their gunpowder etc. Even in POE1 they are much more interesting than ORCZ will ever be.

mitochondritom fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 26, 2018

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Digital Osmosis posted:

Also, I know this doesn't come up enough in game, but one of the reasons for using the PoE1 Watcher is that they wanted the character to be able to understand Eothas' motivations and not just the player. Knowing the gods are giant supercomputers powered by stealing bits of people's souls makes Eothas' goal understandable and thus maybe sympathetic. If you/your character didn't know that he'd just seem like a crazy zealot who wants to watch the world burn.

edit:

Apropos of nothing, Dietrich's response if you ask if he can sing after he told you he used to be the frontman of a punk band is maybe my favorite line in a video game. Also, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, not Returns. I'm not trying to be pedantic, I just don't want anyone accidentally playing Shadowrun Returns when they don't have to.

edit edit: oh you said Returns games. Still, don't play Shadowrun Returns folks, the other two are so much better.

Hmm, I was an ardent believer of not having the Watcher as a sequel main character, mainly because I thought (and based on my playthrough of Deadfire still do) that it would be too much work to do justice to all the possible outcomes in a way that wasn't just lipservice to the choice (Eder having one of two necklaces, Hylea giving you a cake etc), but you make an extremely good point that I had not considered. It had to be the Watcher or you would effectively have to do the "Gods as Soul Machines" reveal twice, once in Pillars and again at the start of Deadfire. I suppose this also means that the 3rd game (we can only hope) will also be the Watcher and have an even greater amount of permutations to accommodate.

Re: Dietrich Was that where he replies something like "I was in a punk band so what the gently caress do you think? :razzy:

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

I played PoE a couple years ago and only just remembered there was a sequel. A couple questions:

1. Generally speaking how does the sequel compare to the first game? Improvement? More of the same (which would still be a good thing)?

2. I really enjoyed playing the original but got kinda burned out on the story near the end of Act 3, around where you meet the gods and each of them gives you a different quest to deal with the souls, so I put it down and haven't picked it back up. Is it important to enjoying PoE2 that I have completed PoE all the way? If so, am I correct in thinking I don't have very much left to do in PoE to finish the story?

1. Generally it is considered to be an improvement and is broadly iterative on the first game. If you enjoyed the combat and general gameplay loop (have talky talk, tromp to dungeon, kill mooks, get loot) it is very much on those lines.

2. The game is a direct sequel with the same character and was very much marketed as a "continue on". While it is not essential, you can import your save from the end of PoE and various "states" are accounted for, referred to with various consequences (none of which are "game changingly huge"). Deadfire has a sort of catch up cutscene at the beginning, but I would strongly strongly suggest you finish the first game before the second (you can comfortably skip the White March expansions). Not only are you very close to the end, but I promise that it will be worth it. Just whack PoE down to "story" mode and complete it in an evening before you import your Watcher into Deadfire.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Thinking about doing a solo Huana playthrough so that I can get a better grip on the games systems and mechanics (and so I can wait for a few DLCs to be released and the god challenges before I start a new game proper). I am keen on the idea of making an Amaua Shaman (dualed Barbarian and Priest) as it seems like an interesting combination. They would be a sort of staunch supporter of Onekaza and I would probably go with Berath or Eothas as the god to maximise those sweet RP options.

Pretty sure that on Veteran, anything goes and the game can be broken in two by most builds, but is there anything obviously anti-synergistic about a Shaman? I recall that a dev said that Priest/Anything was the least used class (and Dwarf as the race, but that will be for my next playthrough, where I plan to use that sweet Magran fire axe from the Naga temple in the North of the map in some capacity.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

Thinking about doing a solo Huana playthrough so that I can get a better grip on the games systems and mechanics (and so I can wait for a few DLCs to be released and the god challenges before I start a new game proper). I am keen on the idea of making an Amaua Shaman (dualed Barbarian and Priest) as it seems like an interesting combination. They would be a sort of staunch supporter of Onekaza and I would probably go with Berath or Eothas as the god to maximise those sweet RP options.

Pretty sure that on Veteran, anything goes and the game can be broken in two by most builds, but is there anything obviously anti-synergistic about a Shaman? I recall that a dev said that Priest/Anything was the least used class (and Dwarf as the race, but that will be for my next playthrough, where I plan to use that sweet Magran fire axe from the Naga temple in the North of the map in some capacity.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Barbarian looks like a solid choice to multiclass with any caster, because it has the most access to speed boosts. Maximizing your speed means you have to worry less about action economy inefficiency. Eventually, you get blood thirst, which means you can act again instantly after you get a kill, which is obviously great with powerful spells that can kill a lot of stuff.

If I recall, rope kid mentioned shaman specifically as the least played class. However, while It’s probably not as straightforward as wizard, cipher or druid, I bet it would be very good if built and handled well.

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Initially it kind of seems like barbarian/priest has the same problem most priest multiclasses do- the worthwhile priest spells all take a long time to cast, and that's time not spent taking advantage of your other class abilities. Pairing it with Barbarian has the additional complication of needing to get kills so Blood Thirst/Bloodlust trigger... which you're not doing when you're casting support spells with long cast/recovery times. You also only have like one or two easy ways to get Concentration, which is going to be a lot more important as a solo character.

I think what you'd want to do is stack stuff like Barring Death's Door and Salvation of Time to survive at low health and activate gear abilities/damage boosts/whatever that require Bloodied or worse condition (like the confusingly named Blooded ability Barbarians can take that gives a damage boost when, uh, Bloodied). Or just ignore most of your spell list and stick to anything that nukes, heals over time or with low cast time/recovery, or gives a buff too good to ignore. It'd be doable, but not nearly as straightforward as Barbarian/Wizard (very good self-buffs with no recovery, lots of nukes) or Barbarian/Druid (storm spells that let you do other stuff while they work, spiritshift)

I have created a new Watcher, went with Priest of Berath and Beserker as my subclasses. It seems OK so far, its a bit of an experience as I am trying a solo game. One thing I immediately noticed when farting about with the AI behavior editor (I would really like to make a character I can just automate, just to see how they do) is that if you have Frenzy as an auto activate and then set suppress afflication to auto cast (its like 0.4 s for me) it will immediately cancel out the intellect malus and the frenzy (also the Dmg Allies which for a solo run isn't important).

Berath's sword summon is less useful, as its a 2.4 sec cast and can't be preloaded (oh how I hate that mechanical choice).

On the Barb / Wizard note, I did strongly consider Wael as my priest as it comes with a slew of cool Wizard defences, but Berath won me over for ~roleplaying~

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I really hope Durance is involved somehow. I thought Deadfire lacked having him screaming with rage at Eothas all the time. Can you imagine his reaction finding out Eothas just respawns? I mean half of Durance's dialogue in the original was about how much of a bitch Waidwen was to be exploded by the Godhammer.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What the gently caress is going on with Xoti's highest level spells?? A lovely druid summon from 2 levels ago and 5 spells based around gods she doesn't follow..

I was also very confused that her best top tier spell was Fires of Magran.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

2house2fly posted:

You haven't missed anything there. One of the writers when asked about it just gave a coy "there's a reason we did that"

Speculation I've seen is that the gods originally had bodies and were just walking around the place, but after Abydon got killed they decided it would be better to give up their bodies and become beings of pure energy or whatever. At a guess, the other missing ones(I think there are 3?) are Woedica(they did something to her body to depose her as queen maybe) and Wael (hid it to be spooky and mysterious)

In the opening section of the game Where you meet Berath and Berath in that spooky soul castle, the building where the cards are dealt is held up by a ginormous skeletal hand. Suspect that one of the missing skeletons is Berath

I have so many confusing questions about the gods in Pillars of Eternity. If the Engwithans created them and it took the entirety of the civilisation (more or less) to do it, how did they decide on the number, names and portfolios of the gods? By committee? Did they vote? The gods, obviously, used to have massive physical forms, which Deadfire tells us were eventually abandoned (to become spiritual beings?). This leads to questions relating to the creation of these giant bodies like who built them? Engwith or the Gods? Did some Engwithan priest decide that Berath would be the god of the cycle and it would be half a corpse woman and half a dwarf guy? If that is the case, why would Berath have one body?

I really hope there is a Pillars 3 that elaborates on some of this stuff, but I suspect it is probably better for the setting to leave it very ambiguous. I think the information about the wheel, hel and the beyond in Deadfire was very mushy and confusing. It didn't exactly increase understanding of the setting, but made it much more unclear. I recall reading somewhere in the past that there were disagreements of the devs on the first game with regards to the souls and how it "works" and that no-one really understood it (maybe just Avellone?), I very much feel this is still the case in the second game.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

If the goal was to bring the savages to heel, why would it make any sense at all to make their gods real? If some tribe of Rymyrgand worshippers was giving the Engwithans a hard time, the last thing to do would be to actually create Rymyrgand and also let him drag idiots into interdimensional portals. It would just reaffirm the already held beliefs of the tribe

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

I'm level 15 on PotD Beast of Winter and I'd recommend going in a bit higher level/better geared than I am. It hasn't been utterly impossible but some fights have been frustrating and requiring some reloads, and I'm really struggling to get penetration a lot. Losing Pallegina in favor of Ydwin for the flavor hadn't helped, but still.

This is me right now. I ditched Aloth and Xoti for Ydwin and Vatnir and I am getting wrecked by The flaming guys after the bridge explodes with Waidwen. I am on Path of the Dammed mode and feel totally stuck.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Sidekicks were a fine idea, just badly implemented. Sidekick should be:

-brief dialogue tree along the lines of "tell me where you're from/what you like/some general lore"
-dialogue for critical path events
-dialogue in the final area at the same bits where companions get dialogue
-ending slides (let's say 2, "sided with X/didn't side with X" or whatever)
-maybe something somewhere else, like Ydwin gets some lines now at vampire island

A party member with less stuff going on than a full companion is cool but imo they should still pipe up occasionally so I know they're there, or I might as well have just made a party member at an inn

Isn't this basically a companion though? Excluding the bit with her mentor Giacolo this is basically Pallegina.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I think it is as good as it ever will be. Gather your party and venture forth!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

As far as I can tell, Hiravias and the Grieving Mother aren't mentioned at all.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's actually really good. Not perfect, but really good, and it would have been much better received if it wasn't in the shadow of Torment in the first place (but of course, the project wouldn't have been greenlit without piggybacking on that name so... chicken and egg).

Even the combat is... more complicated than people give it credit for. Or rather, the conflict system I should say. Because yes, a lot of encounter feels simplistic and you don't have a lot of interesting character options, plus the interface is surprisingly difficult to read for a turn-based game. But there are also a ton of non-violent bespoke actions you can take in climatic encounters in the game, and some encounters are essentially structured as turn-based puzzles (hell, there's even a sci-fi heist mission played in the turn-based combat interface!)

Man, I know the game has problems, but it makes me sad to see it treated as a punching bag online. I actually really enjoyed myself with it and would pretty easily recommend it to people who are into isometric RPGs.

I think this is the first time I have ever witnessed anyone go to the bat for Numenera as much as you have. I absolutely agree with you that it is much better than people seem to give it credit for and I really enjoyed the efforts to make a non-combat viable solution to actual combat encounters. They looked at Planescape Torment and correctly realised the combat was dogshit and hinders the rest of the game, but really couldn't strip it out entirely. The actual setting of Numenera is quite interesting too and I am saddened that the poor performance and reception has probably torpedoed any chance of more games in the setting.

DoctorTristan posted:

If you forget all about who made it and what was originally promised, ignore the character system full of trap options saved only by the combat being insultingly easy, overlook the glaringly obvious missing content, skim over all of the gracelessly shoehorned in references to PS:T, and manage to pick the game up at a 50+% discount and pretend that it was the first game by a rookie rpg studio then yes, I can see how you might think “hmm, that wasn’t a bad effort”.

But then I also agree 100 % with this. I cannot believe how brazenly they tried to pass off delaying this game for years and then deliver what seems to be approximately 30 % of the actual game planned. Nixing the Oasis to a single screen was really disappointing. The whole story just peters out as it gets interesting in the Bloom. When I was playing it I realised I was getting close to the end because every time I booted the game up the list of Steam Achievements was getting lower and lower, but I remember the ending still hitting me by surprise. "Is that it"?

The hilarious thing is that it seems like while intending to make this spiritual sequel and pay glorious homage to Planescape, they ended up replicating a lacklustre commercial success, terrible combat encounters and a bunch of cut content. It still bums me out that it didn't deliver even 75 % because parts of the game really do hint that they could have done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Regarding Godlikes, is it ever elaborated on why Nature godlikes are flowery chill looking dudes but are aspects of the supreme rear end in a top hat Galawain? Based on his beast fetish, shouldn't they all be more like the druid were-forms? Or if you are going all plant based they should be venus fly trap esque monstrosities.

This doesn't scream out Galawain to me?