Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ducking in to the thread here because I'm starting my playthrough. Having a great time so far.

I just realised I forgot to toggle the level scaling so it only goes upwards. Is there a way of changing this through the console?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ah great thanks for the responses everyone. That's good to know.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Rope kid nerfing beckoners and I just started one for my first playthrough yesterday wtf

I think -2 to summon phrase cost and one extra summon each time would be reasonable, but i know poo poo about the balance in this game. If they nerf them too hard then why not just play a troubadour that gets brisk recitation.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Any word yet on how bad chanters are getting hosed next patch

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm still on my first playthrough and I've found pure Wizards (Aloth) to be really unimpressive so far. Maybe I'm still in the PoE 1 frame of mind? I've heard evokers are good.

Contrary to what a few people have said I've still found priests (Xoti) to be great. Devotions for the Faithful and Dire Blessing are as amazing as ever as force multipliers. Healing seems strong. Xoti's nuke is quite good too.

Pallegina as a Paladin/Fighter is insanely good. Dual wield with Charge and Flames of Devotion and you've got full attacks for days.

Went for Beckoner as my PC and, while strong, I loving hate how small the summons are. They look really stupid. I should have gone with my gut and went for Troubadour.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Vermain posted:

Probably. Stuff like Curse of Blackened Sight isn't comparable to its PoE1 incarnation due to the general decrease in effectiveness of per encounter debuffs. CC/debuff spells are useful for mitigating incoming damage and for countering certain monsters, but damage spells are now actually very damaging and quite worthwhile. An Empowered Minoletta's Bounding/Concussive Missiles will take out half a group easily.

Yeah, that’s definitely the impression I’m getting. Maybe some of the higher level CC will be more effective.

On a different note, the fact that talents and abilities now share the same resource pool means that to play ~*optimally*~ there’s going to be a lot of respeccing as low level abilities get made redundant by higher level abilities. On my Beckoner the skeleton and ghost chants are now more or less completely superfluous so I should really take those points and invest them in passives, if I was bothered.

Ogres seem to be doing work but am I right in saying that they now have friendly fire?

Can’t wait to get the dragon summon at the end but I know it’s going to look stupid with Beckoner :(

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone let me know real quick if the spell resistance enchant for Xoti’s lantern is still bugged and blocks friendly spells? I read that somewhere.

Also can anyone tell me in the most spoiler free way possible how to get access the dragon fights so I don’t miss them.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I wouldn't worry about that. As long as you do the first few Huana faction quests you'll know where they are.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

As far as I know yeah this is still a problem. Someone might be working on modding it.

Cheers.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone got a link to that nifty coloured spreadsheet that lists out all of the inspirations and afflictions and what stat they fall under?

I love the way the system works but some of the wording isn’t particularly intuitive, I can’t remember which attribute ties to which affliction.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Torrannor posted:

Look at the last picture of the very first post in this thread :)

Thanks!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think it would be cool for the player to be forced to be a Steel Garotte, Priest of Woedica or relevant multi-class in Deadfire if they sided with Woedica in PoE1. It would fit the lore pretty easily and possibly narrow down some of the work that needs to be done in terms of reactivity.

I don't know what role, if any, Woedica plays in the PoE2 main story yet though because I haven't finished my first playthrough.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
If I keep Maia and Tekehu in the same party are they going to gut eachother at some point? Maia's now at -2 with the blue man.

e: also where do I get the sword that wants to bang

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 25, 2018

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

marshmallow creep posted:

For me it's the opposite and Tekehu has a -2 with her and she feels nothing about him.

The sword is under Neketaka. Both ways down start in the Gullet.

That's what I meant.

Hmm. I've been all over the area under Neketaka. Must have missed it.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I fought the magma dragon. Waaay too easy. Was there even a breath attack?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Please make POTD nasty difficult ropekid and bring back PoE1 dragons with breath attacks that can wipe your entire party.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm level 16 now and just starting to engage with the ship combat system. I wasn't really feeling it before because I'd rather spend most of my money on gear than upgrading the ship.

I've bought the Junk and loaded it up with the double shot cannons.

Are grapeshot and chainshot worth it at all or should I go for the hull?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ok thanks all, guess I'm going to blast away.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Do Chanter summons improve with an empower? I've just read that they might not. I've been empowering them all game :sigh:

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Finished my first playthrough as a Beckoner after 43 hours. Game owns.

– Itemisation is out of this world good. There's so many cool uniques that are going to be great on different builds and a lot of them can be accessed relatively early. The new enchanting system is amazing.
– Game balance is obviously completely hosed at the moment but I think I was probably better off having an easier experience on my first run through of the game.
– New merged ability/talent system gets an A+ from me. So many cool abilities. Being able to see everything from the same screen is handy too.
– Companions all seem really good? I ran with Eder, Tekehu, Maia and Xoti. Xoti was a bit annoying at first but she really grew on me as the story progressed.
– I didn't mind all of the voice acting in the end because it was done so well. The narrator's voice was really good.
– Ship combat ... owned? I really wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did and want deeper mechanics and more customisation options in the future, including for crew. It's a shame I only really got in to it about 3/4 of the way through the game when money was plentiful because I was spending all my money up to that point on items and enchantments. Cost should probably be addressed? I was also playing a goody two-shoes and not going after anyone that didn't attack me first, so maybe that would have been a good way of making capital.
– Skill system is pretty good imo. Nothing amazing really stands out about it, though I liked how it interacted with some items.
– New town fast-travel system is amazing but there are a LOT of loading screens and the game is a bit slow. I really hope there's more optimisation in the future. My FPS was pretty wank too and I've got a GTX 780.
– Ran in to lots of bugs but none of them were particularly game-breaking, apart from one that stopped me from completing the Royal Deadfire Company's questline.

Story/spoiler stuff

– Most of the main story/critical path was great. Eothas and all of the gods were done really well.
– I felt the story suffered a bit from the decision to triple down on open world. More linear sequences really could have helped a bit in places, like Neketaka getting sieged or something. A lot of the exploration was feeling very samey towards the end.
– Completely missed the opportunity to use ship combat to fight Eothas. In general I think the story suffered from Eothas being too OP – being able to stop him (Godhammer style) or at least slow him down would have made things a bit more tense. The gods were pretty useless at helping you, volcanos and tidal waves notwithstanding.
– I get Obsidian makes games with grey moral choices but not being able to get any of the factions working together in the end left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, particularly when it seemed that the differences between them could be reconciled with a bit of diplomacy. You should at least be able to get two working together. In the end I decided to just say gently caress it and sail to Ukaizo myself because they seemed to all be equally nasty, and this resulted in the Deadfire turning in to a mess.

Next playthrough I'm going to play as an absolute dick – possibly a Bleakwalker – but I'll probably give it a couple of months worth of patches.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Captain Oblivious posted:

To your last point

If you look into what each faction asks of you for their end game...no. They really are irreconcilable. The closest it gets to reconcilable is the VTC and the Huana, and no the Huana are not going to just sit idly by while you hand their birthright away.

Eh, I would have preferred it if they had written it in as an option. Maia and Tekehu get along together eventually :shrug:

albany academy posted:

Same. Once the game is patched up and some more content gets added I'll probably do another. The end game choices were pretty... Enh. Really wanted to be able to punch up a colossus for breaking my castle.

Same, though the fight at the entrance of Ukaizo was really cool.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The skill system is not flashy but it’s the best thing about the game

I thought it was pretty standard by all accounts? The dialogue/narrative is written amazingly well to take account of it but mechanically it doesn't really venture in to any new territory.

I liked all of the CYOA stuff too.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Captain Oblivious posted:

They "get along" in so far as they decide to put her saying something ridiculously lovely behind them.

At the end of the day the RDC is still an authoritarian Imperialist power that has already put into motion a plot to violently conquer the region, before you even got to the region. There's no reconciling that. :shrug:

I can see arguments for New Blood Principi and the Huana, maybe the VTC and the Huana, but the RDC don't do half measures. It's their way or the highway.

They are lovely, but a more conciliatory ending could have been written in pretty easily. In one of the Huana ending slides they recognise that it's not right for the Roparu in the Gutter to be treated as shittily as they are. Something similiar for the RDC could have been written in with respect to their imperialistic ambitions, if only that it leads to them agreeing a truce so long as the spoils of Ukaizo are shared fairly. The conflict between their imperial ambitions/necessity of survival is even something that's explored through Maia.

This wouldn't parallel real life imperialism though. I'm just a sucker for happy endings.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'd like to replay PoE I before getting this.

I've not played since the expansions were added, any changes I should be aware of?
Does seal accuracy still benefit from the caster's skill in mechanics? I remember repulsing seal critting nearly all the time.

The game changed a fair bit from when the first expansion was released.

Mechanics no longer increases seal accuracy.

A few things to watch out for are:

– Immunities to status affects and damage types were introduced
– Stacking attack speed items/abilities is really good for increasing damage
– Enemies' targeting has been improved. They'll go after your back line rather than getting sucked in to tanks.
– Lots of interesting items were added to the game.

Just roll with it and you'll be fine.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I had a tough time with Fampyrs as well.

In retrospect, I should have used drugs.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
It might piss off the grogs, but I don’t think there’d be any harm in giving the player some recommendations for abilities when they’re levelling up. I can see how the ability screen would be pretty overwhelming for first timers.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Why does everything need a soul in the first place? Is it just a conceit of the setting or is it something the animancers have a definitive answer to?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So apparently Dragon Thrashed has been nerfed to near uselessness :(

Has anyone here had any luck with it on a playthrough?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Imo the main failings of the Huana seemed to be the result of pressures put on them by forces external to the deadfire. Colonialism and piracy (... capitalism?) seem to have greatly exacerbated the issues with their pre existing social and economic structures, which admittedly weren’t great to begin with, but did try to provide for and look after everyone in the best way they knew how.

I don’t know a lot about it, but India might be a decent real world analogue?

Economic “progress” often leads to disruption of pre existing social orders, and the pre-existing orders tend to fight back in various ways (see UK’s Speenhamland laws).

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 1, 2018

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Did we ever find out the mystery of Pallegina’s cloaca? I didn’t play with her in my party on my first playthrough.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

derra posted:

Set to their purpose only gives smart now

Booooooooooooooo

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

What gives Brilliant then? Anything?

IDK but I actually found my PC using Chanter buff invocations in my previous playthrough which is basically a miracle and something I never did in PoE 1

It'll be a shame if they end up on the trash pile as they were before

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
please return dragon thrashed to its former glory tia

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Scorchy posted:

Y'all have pages and pages in this thread whining about how easy the game is, make up your minds

I'd always tend to prefer an approach that focuses on buffing enemies up and making the AI more challenging rather than weakening or restricting options available to players, notwithstanding certain super-overpowered abilities that ruin the fun (i.e. relentless storm, defensive mindweb, devotions for the faithful).

I suppose it's all perception in the end.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'd love it if there was some kind of Dread mechanic for ship captains. You should be able to negate the effects of low morale by scaring the poo poo out of your crew.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Isn't that already a thing? When I was trying to get the mutiny cheevo, I spent a solid month sailing around with 0 morale and could always bully my crew into obedience until the right event fired.

Oh, I didn’t realise because on my first playthrough morale was always like +90.

What’s the mutiny event like? Can you stop it?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I found a really nice sword that was basically a paddle and did best of slash/crush damage. It’d be perfect for a devoted.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Defensive mindweb was bonkers but I don’t think it needed to be nerfed as bad as it was. It probably would’ve been sufficient to give it a smaller range and make it cover maybe 3 companions.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ginette Reno posted:

I like Eder but not sure he handles the whole having a son thing all that well in Poe2. Does he even admit to the kid that he's their dad? I don't think he ever does. Seems like something Eder should be owning up to, especially since the kid's mom is dead.I wouldn't say that soured me on him because the way he behaves is totally understandable but I was hoping he'd take more ownership of that.

Maybe I missed something but I didn't think Bearn was his son? :confused:

Is there any consensus yet on what the best attributes are for the kind of character you want to build?

My gut before the game was released was that Perception would be the most universally useful attribute given the nerfs to accuracy stacking. It's the most effective when you need it the most (vs. high defence enemies) although I didn't actually see that many enemies with super high deflection on my first run through so maybe the scaling was just a bit borked.

Might seems really good too now that it's multiplicative. Dex seems less impressive I think now there's an emphasis on using the resources you have more effectively, especially in the case of casters.

Res is low-key super strong too. Being able to get -50% to affliction duration is no joke.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

I think Might is additive again as of release.

Oh I guess I missed this. Wonder why they went back

Dex is strong but not as strong as in the first game because there are diminishing returns on action speed now.

Dex didn't seem great to me purely because a lot of the classes don't have that many resources, so there was more of a focus on using the resources that you do have more effectively.

What do you mean diminishing returns on action speed? Is Dex still not just (action + recovery + reload frames)*1/1.%Dex Modifier?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

On the other hand, Dex now reduces reloading time, which I'm fairly certain it didn't in POE1.

It did. Dex affected the total number of frames in any given action + recovery + reload cycle (but not the 5 frame pause every action has after it). So if you had a 100 frame action (including reload) and 20 Dex, the total number of frames would be 100 * 1/1.3 = 77 frames. The same action with 30 Dex would be 100 * 1/1.6 = 62.5 frames. This obviously doesn't include the 5 frame pause.

On first look it would seem Dex's value diminishes the more you have of it because the total number of frames reduced per point of dex decreases the more you invest. However, each frame closer to 0 actually has more value than the previous one. So, reducing a 10 frame action down to 5 frames effectively doubles your action speed (5 total frames reduced), whereas reducing a 100 frame action down to 75 frames is 1.5 multiplier increase (25 total frames reduced).

I found it hard to wrap my head around. Though from what HA is saying it seems as if they've changed it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Avalerion posted:

One nerf is that shattered pillar no longer gets wounds from abilities, so you can’t just chain your stuff to infinity but need to regular punch in between.

This has to be a bug.