Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I am bad at the video game, has anyone found any cool multi-class combinations for my Priest of Eothas when I finally finish the first game or should I stay single-class so I can shoot sun lasers out of my hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have a question for the first game: is Arcane Dampener worth taking? It seems like it might be extremely useful, but I'm not sure if enough enemies will buff themselves for it to be worth it. (Arcane Dampener is a third level wizard spell suspends beneficial effects on foes for a decent amount of time.)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
thoughts on PoE 1 as I near the end of WM1:

1. Zahua loving rules
2. The wizard tentacle summon spell is extremely powerful
3. I'm really glad that they used your Watcher abilities for something cooler than "look at kickstarter backer OCs" like (at least) the first half of the main game
4. I'm not joking about Zahua

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I finished PoE1 with 111 hours on Steam (note: more than 40 of those hours were on characters that never got past the start of Defiance Bay) and now I'm ready to spend at least that much time being unable to decide what kind of character to play in this one

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I played as a priest of eothas in the first game but this

Vermain posted:

I think the big problem with Priests is that their really good buffs are all things you want to use every encounter at the start, which means your Priest is sitting there doing nothing for 12 seconds aside from chain casting buffs and then largely autoattacking due to a lack of remaining spellcasts (and, to be frank, a lack of strongly impactful spells to cast outside of said powerful buffs). They kinda just feel like buffbots.

is the main thing that's making me want to change, having played up to the start of Neketaka. I'll figure out what I want eventually (Cipher/Rogue seems like it might be cool, even if Ydwen can already do that), it's just tough, especially with so many more choices than the first game. The fact that I don't feel the need to exile anyone from my main party in this one (which is why I was a priest in the first game) means that I don't have any immediately obvious choices, either.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone got any opinions on a multi-class for Skald? Devoted seems like it could be cool, but I'm not sure what weapon I'd want to go with.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fun fact: Eder can die during the fight on the ship at the very start of the game, and he does not show up on the beach, nor does the Steward mention him at all. It seems pretty unlikely but it's pretty funny to me that someone could, presumably, not realize that Eder is supposed to be a permanent party member.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is it normal for Tekehu to proposition you before you've even left the room where you recruit him or is that just the relationship glitch

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any cool classes/equipment/whatever I can combine with Fury Druid so I can hit everyone with tons of lightning all the time

I'm less concerned with "effective and good on high difficulties" compared to "lightning is really cool" here

Similarly, has anyone found any cool synergy with going gun/melee or with backstabbing people extremely hard

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Digital Osmosis posted:

Where is it said that your caste cycles through lives? All I remember saying is that a shaman or wise man or something uses some kind of proto-animancy to read a child's soul and assigns a cast, and that usually that cast is what your parents are. That system doesn't seem to stop anyone from dying a Roparu and being reborn a Roparu. I don't think there are any awakened Huana (actually... aside from the PC and Aloth, are there any awakened characters in the game?) so it's hard to just ask someone who they were in their past life.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mean if you want to distrust the in-game journal that's your business but that is where it is said that your caste cycles through lives

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
hey I vaguely remember people talking about having to be careful with faction quests to avoid accidentally skipping them or something

has that been fixed, and if not, what do I need to do to make sure everything works properly?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
came looking for reactions to BG3 and found out I'm the only person on the planet who enjoys PoE2 and D:OS2

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Not allowed. you need to pick one. Now take this knife and we fight to the death

I make up for it by hating D:OS1 and thinking PoE1 is kind of fun but painfully bland so it balances out

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm sure it will be turn based, 5e and epic game store exclusive for the triple crown of ruining my day.

give us the 4e Baldur's Gate III, cowards

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jimbot posted:

As someone who doesn't know nothing about that DnD nerd stuff, what's the difference between 4th Edition and 5th Edition and why do a lot of people, at least on these forums, really like 4th Edition?

I'm a big 4e stan and the short version is that 5e, like 3.5 and everything before it, makes casters way more interesting and powerful than everyone else

When a wizard or a cleric levels up, they learn new spells that change the game in interesting ways. When a fighter levels up, they become a little better at hitting people with their sword.

A rogue might be pretty good at sneaking around and unlocking doors, but it's risky because they might gently caress up their rolls. Or a wizard could cast Invisibility and Knock and do those things with no risk whatsoever, along with also having the ability to throw fireballs around

A fighter can hit people pretty hard with their sword, and can't really do much else. But a cleric can cast a few spells to become just as good, and will also still have a bunch of other spells that do powerful things

4e introduced a system where everyone gets new Powers when they level up to give them interesting and powerful things, and divided classes into specific roles in combat - Defenders are very good at keeping targets locked in melee, Strikers do very high damage to single targets, Leaders provide buffs and heals to their teammates while still getting to hit things, and Controllers are good at loving up enemies and taking out groups. This means that Gandalf is still powerful but doesn't solve every single problem on his own

5e basically goes right back to the old ways having learned very little from 4e.

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 30, 2019

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
To be fair, I think being a single-player video game can solve (or "solve") some of those problems. Being Minsc or Korgan sucks if the other players get to be Aerie or Edwin, but if I'm controlling a whole party by myself (especially in rtwp like the original games) I'm not gonna be too broken up about some of my guys being good at auto-attacking and nothing else

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think D:OS2 is pretty well-written as a whole, largely because it dispenses with a lot of the "haha you found some smelly panties in this woman's house while investigating her for murder" poo poo from D:OS1

I don't really know how to explain why I think the writing is good, though, so cheers. Please include romances in BG3, but please do not include goofy, narrated sex scenes

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Khizan posted:

The big problem in the tabletop game is that the DM has to actively try to frame fights and challenges in a way that lets the non-casters participate. If they don't specifically build their game around letting the fighter and the rogue do things, the fighter and the rogue are going to be obsolete by L5 or so.

It's not just "they're only good at autoattacking", it's "they're only good at autoattacking and autoattacking is useless".

Specifically I am thinking of some of the random fights in BG2 where I just do not care enough to cast any spells so I turn the AI on and wait for Minsc and Mazzy to just attack the enemies until they are dead

My understanding is also that BG1 and 2 just don't give casters access to some of the craziest poo poo from the tabletop game (I have no experience with AD&D outside of the Infinity Engine games)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

My general theory of tabletop gaming shines through once more, which is "players at their heart want freeform roleplaying but convince themselves they actually need rules; as such, all D&D games progressively shed it's cumbersome rules until it's a) freeform, and b) hasn't actually been D&D in quite some time. These players will still refer to the game they play as D&D, and will defend their nonexistent version of D&D until they die."

EDIT: Like "some of our best games involved no dice rolling" that's because the rules the dice rolling are based around are bad, and rather then recognize that, you just ignore those rules without realizing it. That's not D&D. That's freeform. Which rules, but again, is not D&D (because D&D is bad).

I do not think "actually what you like is just bad and I, the smart one, know what you really want" is as helpful to the conversation as you think it is, my dude

Anyway yeah if you're willing to do free-form stuff in D&D (which you should, as well as in any other system) there's all kinds of stuff any character can do out of combat, but the problem is that any time the rules come into play, casters invariably dominate everything because they are explicitly given abilities that make them better at everything than non-casters

If D&D 5e was just called Wizards & Warlocks and you couldn't be a character who wasn't some kind of magician I wouldn't really have a problem with it, honestly

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 1, 2019

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
okay I've been picking away at PoE2 since it released without ever getting very far so I'm just gonna ask something that's been bothering me:

are there many cool/interesting dialogue choices if you play as a Priest of Eothas? I played through PoE1 as one because I really hated Durance, but I don't find it to be a very interesting class in 2, so unless there's some interesting stuff that comes up I'd like to change classes (I know you're not locked into whatever you played as in PoE1 even if you import your save)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Great, thanks a lot.