Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Joink posted:

I haven't looked into empower to much. What exactly does it do for abilities? Like say I empower slicken, do I make a really large puddle of oil???

It wouldn't be bigger, it would just be more likely to effect people inside it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, guess I won't be importing saves then. It was a nice idea, but this also frees me from having to play through WM with the 3 characters I finished the game with before it came out, so honestly it being broken is kind of a win-win for me.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I haven't been reading the thread to avoid spoilers, but here's a heads up for a nasty bug that may not have been reported yet: going to Ashen Maw before paying a second visist to Aeldys seemingly permanently removes all of her dialogue choices, either breaking the Principi faction questline or at least severely limiting your options during it. I did Eder's quest to save his dumb kid, thought "Well, I'm already here, no sense in leaving and having to come back," and now I've had to reload an earlier save and lost a couple hours of progress.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

friends, colleagues, here's a mod that had to be made

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/4

'close to board now deals no damage to you'

enjoy

Thanks so much for posting this, maybe I'll enjoy ship combat at some point in the future but for now it just feels like a gigantic Fun Tax.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I've been reading through the thread and the one thing that's surprised me the most is the people (Huana questline spoiler) letting the sea dragon go instead of immediately killing it. I've decided that my current character is like the fantasy equivalent of a whaler, he sees a beautiful and noble sapient creature and his first reaction is dollar_sign_eyes.jpg. He's basically a demented Charles Darwin/Teddy Roosevelt hybrid, exploring unknown islands and discovering new forms of life... so he can loving murder them and turn them into clothes and weapon mods.

On a semi-related topic, I never noticed the line in the beta that says that Tikawara was a recent settlement, which makes the Lagufaeth quest hilarous: the Huana, who cast themselves as anti-colonials, just showed up fairly recently to the island and basically stole it from the Lagufaeth, and are now in the process of genociding them. It's pretty depressingly realistic!

Milli posted:

Y'all I did not care about the Ydwin stretch goal at all, but now that I have met her I am beginning to regret not hitting it.

Same, as much as I scoffed at the idea during the campaign I'd definitely buy a Ydwin full companion DLC, she's a lot more interesting then some of the companions we got :cough:aloth:cough:

ewe2 posted:

Heads-up for those who've played POE1 dlc's: don't go near Bekarna's Observatory unless you're good and levelled up because there's a certain lich who remembers you, and he's very tough this time. Ow. So very nearly dead.

I cheesed the hell out of that fight. Wall spells occasionally start combat, but they don't break stealth or make enemies move out of the way. That include Wall of Many Colors :unsmigghh:

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 12, 2018

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Okay, the thing where Serafen's wild magic kills party members (not knocks unconscious, permakills, even if they don't have any wounds) needs to be turned off. It was funny the first time it happened, he was just suddenly removed from the party with the log line 'Serafen kills Serafen', but this time it happened to my character (forcing a game over) in the middle of a dungeon full of Fampyrs, which I now have to replay. That's not funny, its just very annoying and makes me not want to use him at all.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

myDad posted:

The legendary spellbook with the freezing fireball that causes paralysis rules. The ray of raw is pretty good too.

Where do you get this? I have Concelhaut's, but I'd rather have that one honestly.

Also, where do you get the quest Burkana's Folly? I've done the actual content (see above), I just don't know where to turn it in for the achievement.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I named one of them Deathtrap Isle, anyone who has been there knows which one.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Well, that explains why more than half the game felt piss-easy. The intro area and endgame were appropriately difficult (for Classic), but everything between was just me vaporizing dudes.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

^^ Yeah, I've nearly 100%ed the game with 43 hours played. I haven't done the other three faction endings (I have saves for them) but even with those I can't imagine it being longer then 50.

By the way, if you're a big fan of stacking power level bonuses there's a scepter on one of the uncharted islands that, when upgraded, gives +3 illusion spell levels, and Spindle Man in the Gullet sells a mask that boosts illusions by a further +2.

Wall of Colors counts as an illusion spell :unsmigghh:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

rope kid posted:

She will never support you if you side with the RDC. She can be convinced to support you if you side with the Huana, Principi, or go solo. However, she will never support you if you side with someone other than the VTC and got her banished in the first game.

Just FYI, I sided with that faction and she didn't leave the party, or even remark about it at all, which I did find kind of odd. Guess that's a bug?

edit: Ooops, forgot I was a couple pages behind. Oh well, nice to see I'm not the only one. You know, for a certain value of 'nice'.

edit2: Oh yeah, I don't think she got an ending slide either, which makes sense if her quest chain just broke somehow. Hope all/any of this helps!

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 15, 2018

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

I have a question for the first game: is Arcane Dampener worth taking? It seems like it might be extremely useful, but I'm not sure if enough enemies will buff themselves for it to be worth it. (Arcane Dampener is a third level wizard spell suspends beneficial effects on foes for a decent amount of time.)

It's situationally useful at best, only some enemies self buff and only a few are really nasty (goldpact knights and one of the bounty targets being able to increase their armor is the one that sticks out in my mind), actually dealing damage is generally much more useful. Given that Grimoires exist and you can just keep one with it handy, there's no reason to take it as a character skill.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Hm, I wonder if I already did something wrong, because when I bring up a peaceful resolution, she basically says "Too late, come back when you got the stones to kill them all."

You can do each of their individual quests, but if you go any farther then that (the vault ambush on one side, not sue on the other) then it’s too late to go back. Do you have an earlier save?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

They have the same different background colour in the Stash/Inventory UI and they tell you when they examine them.

Has anyone figured out a fix to this? 'Fruitful Alliance' spoilers.

I encountered a similar problem Aldeys becomes non-interactable if you do a plot mission before going back to see her a second time, and the only solution I found was to reload an earlier save. Sorry :(

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Welp, nice knowing you Pallegina.

Does it give any bonuses in ship combat?

One downside is that it can't be upgraded (because it's a submarine, not a ship), but I think it's base stats are pretty good? I never actually used it in ship combat.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Furism posted:

Without spoiling too much, is there any good reaction to a Priest of Eothas (or of Berath) in the game? I want to do a Priest/Paladin, or Priest/Fighter MC next run and I'm not sure. Or I could just do a Priest of Skaen/Bleak Walker and go full evil but that feels a little too cliché.

Still pretty bummed that I can't really be a Priest of Berath and evil. I wanted to play Raedric 2.0.

Priest of Eothas has 14 unique dialogue options throughout the game, Priest of Berath has 12. So, you'll definitely get some bonus content but it's not like being an Island Aumaua or from the Deadfire, where it comes up in every other goddamn conversation.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

For those of you who were curious about whether Maia will stay on if you side with the Valians: she has a very large dialogue tree at the point-of-no-return, so I assume there's some combination of choices that can get her to stay. She left me because I had a Shady 2 rep, which I think I got from... lying to someone, once? Tomorrow I'll remove it using the Unity console and see if that changes anything.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I had a Shady 2 rep, which I think I got from... lying to someone, once?

The rep system is supposedly not working as intended currently*, it's incredibly easy to get a detrimental rep from a single, non-critical dialogue choice. Also, there's no feat that removes the penalty for having the wrong rep, so there's no way to compensate other then to cheat and use the Unity console.

*or maybe it's the companion approval system? both?

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 15, 2018

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just found an amazing item going through the console (the Serpent's Crown: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/927057872005360696/0CF094D671461E416B932D30B23E2BD46D4118AF/ )

Is there a way to get that hat "legitimately" or do you need to go full Murder Hobo in the throne room?

I mean, if that violates your definition of "legitimately", then no. At least one of the factions has you assassinate her, so it's not as if it's JUST there for murderhobos.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Harrow posted:

Also I'm very tempted to make my "real playthrough" Watcher a godlike (Nature is strongest obviously but I like how Moon looks better) but I just can't shake my personal aversion to making my main character too "special." Like it's not enough that I'm a Watcher and also the Herald of Berath, but also I'm a very special god-themed mutant too? It's a dumb thing I guess but I have this weird gut-level aversion to "chosen one" stories already and that's like triple chosen one.

Being Godlike does help explain why Berath chose you to be her Herald, especially if you're a Death Godlike: If you go rogue, as a last resort your godparent can just hijack your body and finish the job themselves. I don't know if that help or not.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

willing to settle posted:

Oh hey, I dunno if you remember, I was asking about how these work a little before release? If you want to manually fix it in your game it's a very easy tweak. Go the game folder/PillarsofeternityII_Data/exported/design/gamedata. Open the file statuseffects.gamedatabundle, preferably in a good text editor like notepad++. Search for "BluntedCrit". A little ways after it you'll see a value called "basevalue". Change that to 0.80 for the intended effect (crits do the same damage as hits). Personally I have mine at 0.85 for crits that are still nerfed, but a little better than just hitting.

Thanks for this!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I'm really confused about the ending and kind of disappointed in the lack of interactivity. Anyone else feel the same?

So if the engwethians built the wheel, what happened before the wheel? And why is it so horrible that souls can't get recycled? I assumed the bad thing was the gods sucking power from the souls in the wheel but that wasn't even presented as a terrible thing.

My current theory is that the Engwith somehow broke the universe in their reckless pursuit of animancy, the Wheel was their way of fixing it, and the Gods were meant to protect it and prevent future generations from learning the same things the Engwith had. I never really bought that an entire civilization committed suicide in despair over a lack of gods or a general need for stability, I think that level of sacrifice would require a threat much more existential in nature and that Thaos was just trying to conceal the truth, yet again.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Welp, I just cheated away my Shady 2 rep to see if I could get Maia to stick around if I went with the Valians. Any guesses what happened? She still left, because I had a Diplomatic rep, which means I ‘didnt Know how to get things done.’ So yeah, even if they fix reps building up too fast you’ll still need to cheat or at least meta game like a mofo in order to get Maia (and presumably Pallegina, once she gets fixed) to go along with you on their not-preferred ending. Meanwhile, Serafen is down for whatever as long as it doesn’t involve slavery, so I think we know who the best faction companion is. Edit: Forgot about Tekehu, I didn’t use him but he seemed pretty chill, when I killed the Queen his breakup letter was more ‘I can’t be a part of this, but good luck’ than ‘FUUUUCCCKKK YOOOUUU’, so that already makes him better then Maia and Pally.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 16, 2018

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Blast of Confetti posted:

Does White March have fuckall to do in PoE2 if I import? I didn't realize beating up the Thaos would give me the Fallout 3 ending and just assumed WM would be post game content and at this point I'm just ready to move on to PoE2.

To be clear it's the best content in PoE1 and you should play it at some point, but it doesn't have very much impact on 2. The only major potential change would be the personality of one of the gods, the rest I think is just 'Hey, remember when you did that thing?' stuff.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Scorchy posted:

This was by accident, but I've gotten Maia onboard for endgame without a check and without cheating.

I went to the RDC first:

"Do you want our help?"
"Sure."
"Yeah just do this hosed up assassination for us."
"Uhm, no."

At which point everyone at their HQ attacks you. Once I fought my way out of there I could side with the Huana without Maia ditching me.

This worked, thanks! edit: Haha, nope! She disappears the moment you get on the boat. Welp, guess I'll just have to make Biff the Gunderstudy to replace her?

I like that I've completely depopulated the Brass Citadel (aside from the gunsmithy), totally ruined Rauatai's colonial ambitions and am now kill-on-sight with the RDC... and my overall rep with them is 'Mixed'. Oh no, my gunsmithy discount!

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 17, 2018

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Thanks. At least if Maia does bail, I can still get some fish dick.

Maia doesn't leave on the Pirate route, it looks like it's just the Valian one. Same for Pallegina, although I think she leaves (or is supposed to) on the Royal Deadfire AND Huana routes.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Wow, I just checked the changelog and those nerfs are loving savage. RIP Wall of Colors, it was definitely a bit overpowered but making it 50% weaker is going way too far in the other direction. Kind of glad I stopped playing, I'll just wait for the three DLCs to come out and hopefully by then some of these items and abilities will have been re-buffed.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Davos posted:

Goddamn it I was just considering starting a new game, but with all those patch changes it sounds like I'm better off waiting another month

Yuuuuuup.

I haven't played this since before the first big balance patch dropped, so I need some advice: when I DO start my second playthrough I'm thinking of going Druid, but I might also want Tekehu in my party, so what's a good Druid multiclass for one of us to be? Is Tekehu the Druid/Chanter any good, or should I keep him pure and go Druid/Barbarian or Druid/Monk or something? Any thoughts on subclasses, are Furies any good, are Shifters still Broke As gently caress?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

User posted:

I didn't realize that I can't think ahead past a single action in PoE. I guess I'll have to stop having a plan from now on.

Turn based is just pausing every turn. Then you give instructions and the next turn plays out and when it's done the game pauses again to wait for more instructions. If cancelling an action really bothers you then, well, I guess don't?

Just because you don't use the interrupt system doesn't mean the enemy won't.

imho combat is (fun, but) extremely hectic (almost incomprehensible in larger fights) at normal speed, and glacially slow on basically every auto-pause setting I've tried. A well-balanced turn-based mode that respect's the player's time and doesn't fall into 'Prostitute uses Jet x50' territory would be a welcome addition for me.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, as much as I'd love it, it sounds to me like it's something that someone tried to implement without thinking things all the way through. How does interrupt/concentration work? How are spells balanced now that it's much harder to have variable cast times? Honestly I don't even see how it would work using the D&D 4e Move-Minor-Standard system the mockup used, imo you'd have to give each turn 100 or 1000 AP or whatever, so that spells and abilities could take different amounts of time to activate.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

From another thread:

For a second I thought this said Josh Sawyer, and I was like "Wow, I'm glad they ended up going in a different direction with Pallegina."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

wologar posted:

Hey, thread. Which major faction should I support to make the roparu life not suck?

I'm 90% sure you can convince the Queen's brother to actually check out the Roparu situation, which changes his opinion on the whole thing. I'm pretty sure any of the other factions winning is going to be extremely bad news for all the natives, so that's basically your best bet, sadly.