Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve mentioned it before but this game seriously gives me “Sacrifice” vibes. Anyone remember that game?
Charnel death isn't always the answer.
Yes.......torture has its merits too.

I in fact do remember that game. One of the biggest pain in the rear end final missions I've ever beaten. Still had loads of fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Yeah I always picture the 'boycott COD4 (?)' picture where 95% of the people in that group were ingame COD4. The number of people that were going to buy it but changed their mind because of the meltdown has to be a very small percent of sales.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Money. After awhile you run out and need another injection to justify continued development.

Tunnel vision. You get used to playing the same game with the same problems over and over and don't know how the community is going to react. Even with beta testers you're dealing with a self selecting group and don't know how the public at large will view balance/UI/Etc.

Advertising. Everytime you pay for ads saying 'releasing the 18th' and you delay a month you've wasted that money and risk people moving on and losing hype.

Those are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. End of the day it's a business decision that has to be made or you end up with Duke Nukem Forever.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Wasn't Battletech buggy AF and poorly paced on release? I remember reading a bunch of complaints about it in the Steam thread.
Wasn't all that buggy. Just load times were godawful.

They clearly at some point during development decided on making them move like big cumbersome stompy machines over making them seem responsive. It really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Now you can default it to different stock speeds and a 'fast forward' button you can hold down for individual moves. They also added difficulty levels that were sorely missing from the release.

It's a much better game overall from release but as people pointed out it's still a game where the mech classes don't mean much beyond bigger is better.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Nature Godlike (gets +1 power level with bog standard buffs) made my monk into death's true herald with just fists.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I'm sure I'll enjoy it well enough but I'm really more interested in seeing what they do for the third.

Hopefully a lot of dialogue solutions to quests and some Rules Lawyering resolutions like in Tyranny. I fear it might be too much in the direction of push button puzzles though.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Taear posted:

That's bizzare. Missing the conversation would have annoyed me but I was pretty loving confused when I had to fight it since the dialogue prompts before had come across like it was dead.
The conversation did feel like a bug though.

Is it worth getting the new DLC if all I care about is story content? I backed Kingmaker so I'm going to be playing that but SSS doesn't seem like it's aimed at me.
There is some pretty decent lore in there but it's super short. Basically you uncover why this island is the way it is and a little of behind the scenes.

There's also nice little bits where between fights your competition either taunts you or chats with you. The bear bros were my favourite.

If you have zero interest in the fights though I'd say the story isn't really worth it (due to length not quality). If you're just ok with the fights maybe wait for a sale.

Edit: I've completed story found all the artifacts but haven't done the last few artifact fights just to let you know where I am in the DLC.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 26, 2018

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Under camera there's 'kill cam'. You have a few options.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Andromeda is inexplicably bad. I'm someone that really enjoyed the entire Mass Effect series. Even with the problems of 3 it was still an enjoyable ride.

When it came to Andromeda it's like they said 'lets make sure nothing interesting happens in this new setting ever, feel nothing of the stakes involved and when we're out of ideas just copy paste from the original series.'

Christ Dragon Age 2 was a more enjoyable game then Andromeda. At least that game made me laugh a few times.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I like traps in theory. Something to slow you down and force you to pay attention to the environment beyond looking for the next fight, but in practice they always suck. At least deadfire has some degree of making them have visual cues that the player can spot beyond just a stat check.

It's time for them to go though.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Hyped about the space setting.

Bit blah on the Space/Western thing. Enjoyed the non-serious approach but it's a fine line before it gets too goofy for my tastes.

Confused by the shooty bits. Where's my space lasers, wizards psi-users?

Will probably pre-order.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Avalerion posted:

There was a split second of a character using some kind of lightning staff, wizards of some flavor are probably in.
Took that as some kind of melee stun baton.

Skipped really fast through the gameplay trailer. Yeah I'm digging the aesthetic a bit more now thought it'd be more Firefly but the alien plants make it pop a bit more interestingly.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I know Rogues aren't great but I enjoy playing them. Anyone got any good multiclass ideas for them?

Currently thinking about Rogue/Barbarian or Rogue/Monk but I'm open to any solid Melee ideas aside from Swashbuckler because that's Edér's job. Fun subclasses preferred but not required. Useability/damage first gimmick ideas second.

Thanks to anyone who has any ideas.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Assassin/Priest of Berath for a flanking character with strong sustained melee damage, good support and massive bursts of AoE DoT. Touch of Rot from stealth is brutal right from level 1. Later you can use shining beacon, toxic strike, then supercharge your already massive DoT’s with cleansing flame. I’ve seen some people on the official forum report that DLC enemies on PotD upscaled can end up with really inflated health, though, which makes assassins less valuable. A similar concept could work with druid or wizard, as well. The priest or druid version could provide party support, but will need a solid front line to tank for it.
Hmmm thanks those all sound fun but I think I'll try this one out first. Never even considered doing a Priest mix. If it doesn't click with me I'm certainly going to try out a couple of your other suggestions.

I guess I should have mentioned I'm playing Veteran already did my POTD playthrough and found the HP inflation more annoying then offering interesting playstyles.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Also it's good to remember it's supposed to lock you out of content based on your choices. It's short and meant to be played through a few times.

Not that you can't do it once and call it a day. Just don't be frustrated when an entire location gets locked out.

Also being a rules lawyer is satisfying and encouraged in that game.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Basic Chunnel posted:

This specifically was a bug. The beast mode village gives you a major quest and a minor quest and if you turn in the minor quest first, the option to further the major quest vanishes, along with access to the next area. The ending slides went on as though I’d intentionally tanked it.
Well there are plenty of bugs in the game but I wasn't referencing that. If for instance you are given the choice to head to A or B and you choose A later on you'll either be locked out of B or it'll be altered significantly. The vast majority of players won't manage to break all Edicts without a walkthrough because nearly all paths end up in you not breaking at least one.

My first playthrough I didn't get the dust storm castle at all. Most people get locked out of the burning library from posts at the time about the game.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 27, 2019

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Nasgate posted:

This is interesting to me because I went in blind and broke every edict on my one and only playthrough.
IIRC correctly It's impossible on the Rebel path and choosing to go to the crossing first on any other path locks out at least one Edict. I went Rebel my first playthrough. Also I think the big dungeon in the Crossing locks in some paths as well

I may be off on those details. Going with old memories but the jist is correct in that the order you do things and the people you side with will shut down areas and dungeons.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
The only thing stopping me from an ultimate run is the time limit.

I did that one and it was tight in a few spots already. I have no idea how you'd do it without knowing the best travel path to hit everything. I don't even know what some of the things on the 'list' are. I assume big bosses added after the last time I played.

Also that challenge that covers numbers also conceals your time limit so you could be screwed and not even know it until game over.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
With the time limit and per encounter changed to per rest abilities I flat don't see any class that depends on encounter abilities doing it.

Chanters, Monks and whoever else uses a regenerating resource are the ones I'd bet on.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

MuLepton posted:

So, I've just picked up PoE 1 again after realizing I never finished it when it originally came out.
Can the stronghold turn timer get "stuck"? I sent Kana on an adventure that basically stated it would take 2 turns to complete it. Thing is, I've completed several quests since then, and it still says "Time remaining: 2 turns."

Sorry if this has been asked before, but Google turns up absolutely nothing except "turns are advanced by completing objectives".
IIRC the type of quest matters. Side quests don't advance the timer.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I did some light googling but does anyone know the 'path' to take for the ultimate? That's one of the main things that stops me from attempting it. I know I'd forget to stop by an island that had a boss or something and run out of time backtracking.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Yes but what order has the least travel time is my question I guess.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

netcat posted:

"Ego check". It might be slightly funny but it's also just bad game design. It's a cut scene, directly after a boss fight no less, where you can get a game over because you didn't fullfill some arbritrary condition that you have no way of knowing in advance
Couldn't disagree more. Getting into a stupid combat fight should kill you. Staying stupid stuff in dialogue options should be able to kill you as well it's just as much gameplay as the other.

It would be different if it was any kind of *LOLrandom* type thing but saying to a god 'I'm special I dare you' and him going 'actually you're not special to me' makes perfect gameplay sense to me.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

netcat posted:

I think everyone is mixing the ending of WM2 with the dialogue with Rymrgand in Deadfire for some reason? You don't have any dialogue at the end of WM2, you pound at a crystal and then you (or whoever you sent to do it) drown unless you have 19 con, a diving helmet or choose to release the souls of Durgan's Battery.
Oh sorry about that. But there's like tons of ways around that as well and you can see coming pretty easily.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
It's very depressing we're not likely to see any kind of Tyranny sequel. I enjoyed the rules lawyering and building my own little faction within an evil empire. It felt like things were really shifting around you and you had so many options on how to explore the story.

On the mechanics side though spell building was fun but the rest of the mechanics felt tired, weak and downright tedious in places so I was very interested to see a continuation that could explore more of the world but improve the gameplay.

Of course Paradox seems to regard it as a failure and probably won't do a drat thing with the IP so I guess that's that. I probably wouldn't trust a sequel would put so much effort into branching paths anyway.

Also speaking of branching paths with crappy mechanics Alpha Protocol is another. :argh:

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 30, 2022

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
My post inspired me to fire up Tyranny again to refresh my memory.

Early battles choices:
1. Listen to everyone scream their variation of 'my weapon does nothing!' as they miss 25% of the time.
Or
2. Load everyone up with fire touch spells and press it every cooldown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Yeah Act 1 really had that 90's RPG feel more content equals better (yes I know it wasn't made in the 90's).

Wasteland 2 vs Pillars really highlights to me how inXile hadn't really moved on from those designs whereas Obsidian was trying to update them while still keeping the same overall feel.

And while I didn't hate W2 like some people seemed to man was it hard to relive some of those flaws.