Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Can you change the choices made when you import a character, and also can you change the class of that character? I still haven't decided if I'll import my OG Moon-Godlike Chanter, but I don't recall half the stuff I did with her and Chanter seems like prime multi-classing material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Walrus Pete posted:

If you want to retcon your choices you have to build a new history from scratch. Importing a save only imports your choices, you go through the entire character creation process no matter what.

Ok cool. Are there any choices that are import-only? I think I'll just a new history otherwise.

Also, is there a way to look up what choices you did make in a save file?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, this is exactly my problems with Pillars 1. I'm doing my best to power on through it regardless. It's very similar to why I didn't get far into Torment. But Tyranny and Divinity Original Sin 2, on the other hand, nailed gripping intros.

What was your beef with Torment? I'll grant that the intro dungeon wasn't hot, but it opens out into the Hive which is cool as heck, and you're always given a clear goal and motivation for The Nameless One. Except for when you get into the Lower Ward, but there's at least five separate plot hooks for you to stumble across telling you you wanna look for Ravel, which is a thing I wish more games would do.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Ready to launch launch in approximately: more than 1 year"

hnngh

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Do you get ships in any way other than that shop or should I just spend half the game saving up for a Junk?

Or should I get the Galleon instead? Junk has more guns and crew but I bet the Galleon is nicer looking.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you're ignoring the ship mechanics and just ramming everything, you can probably ignore the other ship types. You get more crew experience for winning ship battles without boarding, but crew experience is primarily used for running bigger ships. I think the sloop (Defiant) has a lower world map top speed than most of the others?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The New Vegas comparison are neat because the House analogue is easily the shittiest faction and the Legion analogue is the coolest and best option, when it was the exact opposite in that game. Well job, Rope Kid.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Welp, I just cheated away my Shady 2 rep to see if I could get Maia to stick around if I went with the Valians. Any guesses what happened? She still left, because I had a Diplomatic rep, which means I ‘didnt Know how to get things done.’ So yeah, even if they fix reps building up too fast you’ll still need to cheat or at least meta game like a mofo in order to get Maia (and presumably Pallegina, once she gets fixed) to go along with you on their not-preferred ending. Meanwhile, Serafen is down for whatever as long as it doesn’t involve slavery, so I think we know who the best faction companion is. Edit: Forgot about Tekehu, I didn’t use him but he seemed pretty chill, when I killed the Queen his breakup letter was more ‘I can’t be a part of this, but good luck’ than ‘FUUUUCCCKKK YOOOUUU’, so that already makes him better then Maia and Pally.

I did use Tekehu, and in person he's largely the same. He acknowledges that you're doing what you think is best, that he can't change your mind, and that the queen may be a less than stellar ruler, and thanks you for the time you spent together. I did not expect to like fish boy, but he really grew on me. I wish the game had bugged the other way so Pallegina would ditch me and he'd stay.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

lurksion posted:

Devil of Caroc Breastplate (shop in Periki) has effective ~9% slower action speed, similarly Miscreant's Leather (killing Benwick) has effective ~2%

In terms of robes, the ones I've found are Humility (location forgotten) and Effigy's Husk (location also forgotten)

Not sure if there's more.

There's a legendary robe in the far southeast area, but you have to fight through the hardest dungeon in the game to get it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hey, wasn't there supposed to be an Endless Paths-analogue based on Fulvano's travels, only as an island chain? I went everywhere and didn't notice anything like it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So where are all the cool and good crewmates? I've found the imp, the ogre, the xaurip, the death godlike, Johnny Five-Aces, the Vithrack and the zombie. Am I missing any important ones?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ravenfood posted:

You've got one more than me, actually. Where'd you find the zombie

That's Copperhead, from the Splintered Reef in the southeast corner of the world map. He'll hang around the Boathouse after you meet him, and can be recruited once you complete the dungeon.

bewilderment posted:

Is how I choose to resolve stuff at Poko Kahara a hard split between supporting the RDC or VTC, or is there more stuff after that?

I've found the factions to be fairly forgiving. I ended up going against each fashion's wishes at least once, and they let me keep working for them after a dialogue check. There is a point of no return, but it comes much later.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What weapons and gear do you set druid tekehu up with? Backline caster or midrange or frontline?

There's a quarterstaff in The Devil's Cauldron which buffs plant and restoration spells. I gave him that and anything with a bonus to healing, and any time he'd use a healing spell it would instantly shoot the target(s) health bar to full. IIRC I even stole the staff since it was from before my money hitting critical mass.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Halman posted:

Which ending path is going to make me feel like I'm the least possible amount of a monster.

I've only done the ending where you side with Rauatai so far, but it turns out that for all their underhandedness, they actually do have the best intentions for the Deadfire and set out to make everyone happy. At least if both you and Maia call them out every chance you get, dunno how much in-game dialogue affects it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I was real disappointed at the ending sequence, because I'd gotten the impression that Eothas was going to straight up kill all the gods. I realize there was a segment right before the final confrontation where the gods outline your actual ending options, but by then I was so stoked to pull the plug on those fuckers that I totally glossed over it and definitely didn't ask any follow-up questions.

That being said, do your actions in-game have any influence on the Eothas ending options? It seemed to be kind of like the Souls option in PoE1 where you were always given all the options and could pick at your leisure, but you have also been the the only being that Eothas has spoken to in the like one year of in-game time he's walking north. I know that the Philosopher background gets a couple of unique dialogue options in the butterfingers ending, but that seems to be it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kith posted:

Also I think it's an absolute shame that Maia has access to Ranger/Rogue but not Ranger/Fighter, given her role as a soldier and a sharpshooter (it is WAY easier to stack absurd accuracy bonuses with the Fighter skillset than the Rogue one).

What's real messed up is that she's your best wizard option and she comes with 10 int. C'mon, daddy needs his yellow zones.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I also like that companion gear isn't character bound. You can just take Aloth's goofy headdress and Xoti's cool lantern shield when you bench those characters, and still go lightin up dungeons in style.

E: Theoretically you could also put Eder's armor on a character who is capable of getting knocked out, if you're gonna play like optimally.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i'm not the captain of a ship so much as the captain of a gigantic, floating gun

i did the quest in the stairs that takes you to rymrgand's realm and it was pretty lol-tastic that when you try to pull the "i'm an envoy for berath" line his response is "berath who this is my world bitch"

i was also amazed that you can straight up get a game over there. you can call a lot of people's bluffs, but the lord of entropy is not loving bluffing; you are as a bug to him and he will snuff you out without even blinking

Huh, really? I had the total opposite experience. I just stared him down, and he poked at my soul for a bit before going "nah, I'm not gonna swipe a soul belonging to Berath, just go away."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

bewilderment posted:

Shattered Pillar monk is a wholly ridiculous class and I regret multiclassing into cipher.
Imagine a character that attacks in a cone AoE and stuns everyone. That's the class.

Every faction quest is taking me to Crookspur Island. Hmm.

What's the VTC quest on Crookspur Island? I think I might somehow have skipped it by murdering every slaver at the behest of the Royal Deadfire Company, but Atsura told me the Vailians were pro-slavery, and I didn't get any evidence of that outside of Castol's tenuous deal with the pro-slavery Principi guy.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Clever Spambot posted:

IRL we are arbitrarily fine with some drugs but not others so i don't see why it should be any different in this fantasy setting.

If a bartender is casually selling svef that is probably an oversight because that is for sure considered one of the bad ones.

To be fair, you might've lied to a smuggler once, and been suspicious that Eothas is up to no good. People can tell that you're a career criminal.

Insurrectionist posted:

How do generic power level boosts work with multiclasses? Do you get the bonus for both classes? Half for each? I'd assume the former but hey.

I think your default power level is the same as the ability level you've unlocked. So when you unlock level 3 spells you're at power level 3, and single class characters are one to two power levels ahead depending on level.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 19, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Nasgate posted:

I assume chanter+anything is good. Is there a subclasd that's particularly good with Paladin. My Templar feels like a waste. Either I just use Paladin abilities or I use a Priest spell and the fights over by the time I finish casting.

I hear Beckoner is currently mad OP, but I made my first character a Skald, and it is hella good. Killers Froze Stiff only costs two phrases, so you can spam the poo poo out of it, and having summoning incantations cost more phrases is a stealth buff since your max phrases is based on your most expensive incantation.

It was a Skald/Fury, which I'm not sure has much mechanical synergy, but it feels thematically cool to be making GBS threads stuns and thunderbolts and hailstorms everywhere while also shouting out tornadoes and ice beams and paralyses.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Just started this game. Enjoying it so far. One thing I'm surprised at though is the inability to level up companions from scratch like they patched into the first game. What gives?

It's in the Difficulty options. "Auto level companions," I think.

E: Quote is not edit.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

2house2fly posted:

Do you need stealth AND sleight of hand to pick pockets? I'm planning a rogue character in my head and I definitely want him to steal a lot of poo poo. Seems like Mechanics for traps/locks and sleight of hand for pickpocketing should be doable, but skill points are so restricted I don't know if I can split my points three ways

You need some stealth for pocket picking, but I think the sleight of hand requirements take it into account and it's much easier to swipe good pocket poo poo than it is to disarm deadly traps. The best thing you can do is eschew your D&D mindset and have one character specialize in SoH and Stealth and another in Mechanics.

E: There is at least one grimoire that has all the good CC spells in one package. If you get that and one with all the damage spells you're basically set.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Kana Rua was the only cameo I found in my first playthrough and it was the only one I needed. You monster.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think you can get Maia to stay if you romanced her and have less than 2 shady/diplomatic disposition. Nobody's confirmed it since the latter is impossible if you don't set out to zero certain dispositions from the start. The script at least recognizes it, unlike RDC Pallegina who proudly announces that she's stoked you're supporting the Republics and then doesn't get an ending slide at all.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Do the huana leaders want you to end slavery, or is it just the Wahiki who ask you to do that? I kinda of checked them off after they got real shirty about me calling their caste system bullshit and taking the non-evil path on Shadows Under Neketaka.

E: Also the factions are generally ok with you doing the opposite of what you’re asking, at least in the cases I did it. I bet you can at least kill the Wahiki leader and go home to the queen and say “welp, I failed to strike an alliance, what’s next?”

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 20, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Does anyone else find it kind of weird that the only inn in Neketaka is the Gullet one? I mean, you can rest in both the brothel and the bathhouse, but you'd think there'd be an actual inn that isn't a semi-cave in the slums.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Wild Mare is mechanically an inn, but it's not an actual inn. The rooms you can rent are the floor of a storage room or an eight hour private dance.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think he just gets shirty if you straight up challenge or antagonize him, and gets bored if he doesn't get a strong reaction.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
In key-bindings, right under the "press to highlight" setting is a "toggle highlights" option. I rebound tab to toggle immediately and forgot that that wasn't the default option until I installed PoE2 and did the same thing also immediately.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's all the inter-reactions. Aloth raising his eyebrow, etc. Each additional new Aloth has to be programmed with reactions to every other extant companion's dialogue tree, and vice versa, so each additional companion increases the total number of reactions (exponentially?)

Quadratically, at worst.

And stuff like Aloth rolling his eyes or Pallegina rubbing her fingers together is just a response to stuff already coded in dialogue, so they'd only have to program in responses for entirely new dispositions. Interjections to non-party characters is also a linear issue, outside of the cases where other characters respond to the interjections specifically. I also don't think there's a unique response to every pair of characters becoming friendly or hostile, so there's no need for any new companions to have beefin' dialogue with everyone else.

The only really non-linear issue is party banter, which does also require pulling back every single voice actor whenever a new companion is added.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Entropy238 posted:

Also can anyone tell me in the most spoiler free way possible how to get access the dragon fights so I don’t miss them.

I wouldn't worry about that. As long as you do the first few Huana faction quests you'll know where they are.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
PoE1 explicitly stated that there weren't any gods, and that is why the Engwithans decided to create them, so I think you're safe from the stunning twist that actually Jesus was the one true god all along.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You encounter what is presumably a Wael Godlike in an in-game encounter, and someone mentioned a guidebook having a Rymrgand Godlike, who drained life from everything in their vicinity.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh hey, Ydwin flirts with the Pukestabber pirate, and has a sassy remark for the end of the Hasongo quest. I didn't know sidekicks had interjections at all.

Also, when you meet the Pukestabber pirate you're forced to get a point of aggressive, shady or passionate disposition. gently caress that guy.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Your Parents posted:

I know it's very wael to just mention that this exists and gloss over it but I'd appreciate if one of these people mentioning that there's a wael godlike in the game could describe it.

I'm sure you would.

Hooded person on the Black Isles, near the Wael dungeon.

ovenboy posted:

I kind of want to make a merry band of chanter multiclasses, like:
Chanter/Paladin: tank and passive healer (with that shield)
Skald/Devoted: damage dealer/tank
Chanter/wizard: support/damage dealer

Then for the last two slots I'm not sure, perhaps:
Chanter/ranger
Chanter/druid or priest?

Just shanties all day everyday.

Tekehu, Pallegina, Konstanten and Fassina are all potential chanters, if that's of any interest.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SirSamVimes posted:

2) For the talking sword, I have got the "kill 25 Kith with the sword" unlock. Do I have to kill them with weapon attacks or will Cipher abilities while the sword is wielded count?

You need to have her equipped, but any kill counts. I got nearly all of my Kith kills with fireballs.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

myDad posted:

Is there a way to have Ghost Heart Ranger pets enter the battlefield with their AI enabled?

Enable AI on the ranger summoning them. You can just set it to "None none" and whatever autoattack option you want if you're controlling them manually.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Tekehu left my party when I committed to the RDC, and the chat about it was brief and respectful, but there did not seem to be any way to talk him into staying. It's possible it could be circumvented by leaving him out of the party for that sequence, but he also left me a letter when I got to my ship. I'm sure there's a bunch of triggers between him and Pallegina that are likely to conflict, but I think both are supposed to leave you forever if you pick the Correct Faction. Maybe he'll stay if you romance him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sayuka is full of Huana bitching about the longhouse, but more importantly, they're also realizing that the caste system is total bullshit, and has the only instance of a Roparu rising above his station and learning to be an artisan. That was enough to make my character a Sneering Imperialist, but it also helps that the RDC is the only non-libertarian anti-slavery faction.

There is no part of Huana culture, as presented in the game, that is worth preserving.

E: Why would you want to take the Bioware option RE: Abydon? I'm pretty sure either default option is a better choice.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 1, 2018