Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Is it worth replaying Pillars 1 just to make my own decisions and remember what the heck happened in the plot or is there really not that much carryover? I know I can just pick one of the predefined packs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I started playing this on release before losign interest part way in like some sort of schlub.

Now I"m starting a new file that I'm totally going to finish you guys I swear.

But now there's all this DLC out, steam comments are REALLY lukewarm on this stuff but what is this thread's take?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I bought em because why not. Only just started a fresh playthrough and made a ranger because pets are cool. In the initial battle tutorial with the pirates my antelope head butted a guy so hard he turned into gibs and a little slow motion cutscene played. Right on, antelope.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I loving love that this game is open world and lets me go to too-hard places and doesn't scale them to me but still lets me scale stuff I out-level to be appropriately difficult. It's super great.

As an aside, does anybody else find games of this nature super hard to get into?

CRPGs are definitely one of my absolute most favorite genres but playing them feels like such a huge commitment because of all the poo poo I have to carefully read and understand in order to actually enjoy playing. Not just quest/lore stuff either, I mean if I don't really have a great understanding of game mechanics and what exactly all my abilities do and how to use them, even if the combat is set to 'auto-win' difficulty, I just can't enjoy myself.

It's a ton of really intense reading that I can't just quickly skim.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I like the way pillars doesn't give exp for combat, it makes me feel like I don't have to chase down every little random encounter on large maps (though of course I do it anyway but I don't ~HAVE~ to and thats nice)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Speaking of weapons and poo poo. I know all my companions start with unique weapons and you can upgrade them as the game goes along. Should I just treat their gear as the only stuff they really need and upgrade it and save all the magical doodads for my guy, or are the PC starting pieces outstripped by more common stuff even when upgraded?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I feel like the UI is a bit neater than it used to be. I feel like the skills are nested better and more clearly than they used to be but is that in my head? I played right at launch for a week ish.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Should I generally sail around and visit a ton of places or just stick to wherever the quests are pointing me? I don't want to waste time visiting places I'll just have to visit later.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Should I generally sail around and visit a ton of places or just stick to wherever the quests are pointing me? I don't want to waste time visiting places I'll just have to visit later.

To expand upon this. I've got a dumb idiot brain and things like big cities in crpgs (and real life!) freak me out a bit and I feel super overwhelmed by them. I'm dreading having to trawl through Neketaka again on this save file (my first attempt I actually quit after finally crawling through all of Neketaka and finding my motivation to play further completely sapped) and I'm looking for a better way of dealing with it.

Is it feasible to do something like trying to take the city in bite size chunks instead of just walking through the entire thing and picking up all 20 quests and points of interest at once? Maybe just doing quests as I find them instead of picking up a ton, but I'm worried about running into quests I can't handle because I don't think accepting quests is level gated at all.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Any hidden Gotchas for inviting undesireables into your ship crew? You know, drunks, cannibals, kobolds.

(also the kobold is my best crewperson, adorable)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm not playing on a high difficulty level but I still like having some idea of what is good and proper team compositition and stuff.

I rolled a pure ranger because pets are cool. So I'm imagining I need some front liners like maybe the paladin lady and the berserker furball then the priest and the wizard for buffs and cc and stuff? Seem reasonable? Anybody got a few words?

E: I don't mind running stuff just based on personality either but I can't include everybody on the first go-round anyway.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

if a character isn't in the active party to they get exp anyway so I can always change later without suddenly have underleveled dudes?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So I sorta get the impression that there are varying factions at play and since the quests are marked in the journal as belonging to one faction or another, including things like bounties, that I may have to choose one side or the other? Is this an 'eventually choose' thing or am I going to face consequences for doing bounties of the opposite faction when I try to deal with them?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Bows vs guns.

It seems to me that the proper use of guns is to just fire a single shot at the beginning of the fight then switch to a bow for a dedicated ranged character? I got this cool arquebus but the 10 second reload time is killing me and it seems using the aimed shot for a big meaty crit and then jumping to a lovely low level hunting bow is better damage.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Spellbooks: Most of them just seem to have a slightly different assortment of spells which I get, but some of them are unique and cost way more to purchase. So are some of the spells special or something? Why would I pay more for different spells when it's all the same stuff i can take on level.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I mean, the summon items that work per rest are sorta consumables?

I repeatedly forget to use consumables which quickly leads to me just ignoring that they exist. It's not like the game is hard enough to demand I use them (I'm not playing on potd or w/e) and it's so much less stressful to just never worry about them. Too many fidgety bits. I don't even use scrolls.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I feel like this game didn't really need the bounties or like, half, the tasks. I already feel really overwhelmed with the amount of real actual quests I have on the docket. It's totally a 'me' problem, but it's negatively impacing my enjoyment of the game with the pacing being this frenetic.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Don't do them then. I enjoyed layer playthroughs where I only took quests my character would instead of trying to be a completionist.

You're not wrong but also that doesn't really help at all. I know not everybody is going to share my opinion and I don't think it massively influences the quality of the game either way. I'm just shouting into the void as you do.

In future playthroughs I'd definitely just ignore whatever quests that didn't fit my character concept but thats alot harder to do on your first playthrough, not just because you don't always know what quests lead to what, but because you feel like you're denying yourself content since the chance of me actually doing multiple playthroughs is pretty small.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 24, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

real time with pause is the single worst combat style in existance and I wish it would die. Hot take.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I definitely think that you have to design encounters correctly for whatever combat system you end up using but my issues with RTWP always comes down to a real basic problem.

You're typically controlling a whole group of people all with some real complexity to them, at first this sounds great but it quickly becomes overwhelming to try and micromanage everybody optimally. You eventually either just ignore mechanics and pound your face into anything that doesn't absolutely demand special tactics, or set up all your characters to function mostly autonomously with a ton of passive buffs and only control one or two guys.

THe bottom line is I just don't enjoy having 5 complex dudes when the battles themselves are incredibly chaotic and fast moving and pausing to issue commands helps but ultimately just isn't very satisfying.

If it was ocmpletely turn based you can accurately assess any given turn and make the right options. If it was completely real time like a FFXV you typically have one complex character and other dudes that you either don't control directly or can control in a limited fashion so you don't get overwhelmed.

Ultimatley I think the way RTWP games are designed makes combat overwhelming, which in turn makes it unengaging. They don't HAVE to be done that way, for instance if I could manually gently caress with the AI of the party in a beefier manner to the point where I just controlled my own PC and the party did their own thing that'd be fine.

Yeah technically you can turn on AI in POE2 but it's so limited and they just seem to randomly do poo poo and it bugs me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

At a guess, Tyranny landing about as softly as PoE2 seemed to.

With them and Tides of Numenara, it’s like there was only ever room for one hit IE successor.

Maybe, but I bought all of them, thought they all owned, and even if they weren't financially viable and we never see another one I'm happy to have benefited of the short lived renaissance.

Shame about the sales but so it goes.