Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Whoever made the “you take no damage boarding ships” mod, thank you!

In my first ship battle, I had 5 crew get injured, and they were still injured when I almost finished the game. Maybe they kept getting injured during the deck combat or maybe I don’t understand how injuries get healed, but I imagine taking damage for every boarding action sucks.

Got 30 breath bucks just doing main quest up to almost the end, I was level 13 and couldn’t beat a certain encounter to progress.

Game rules!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

rope kid posted:

She will never support you if you side with the RDC. She can be convinced to support you if you side with the Huana, Principi, or go solo. However, she will never support you if you side with someone other than the VTC and got her banished in the first game.

she stayed with me after I sided with RDC, but would not stay for the Huana. I had to refuse to side with Huana to keep both her and Maia, which made me shrug, because party over Country.

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 14, 2018

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

rope kid posted:

Well, she's scripted not to in all circumstances. Did she say something about it or did it never come up? If it never came up, that's probably the bug.

I don’t think she said anything about it at all. Sequence of events: I wanted to side with the Huana, so did their quest up to the point that the queen said “it’s time to make a final decision”. When I said OK, Pal and Maia both left. So I reloaded, told the queen “nah,” and went to join RDC. Did their quest, got the sub, and still have Pal in my party.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

rope kid posted:

Well, she's scripted not to in all circumstances. Did she say something about it or did it never come up? If it never came up, that's probably the bug.

E: I'm looking at her conversation hub and there isn't even a node for the player to make a pro-RDC argument. There are branches for Huana, Principi, and independent. If you aren't siding with one of them, all reply chains lead to her leaving. The only way to proceed with the RDC and Pallegina is if that conversation doesn't fire.

It starts with: "Watcher, you have put me in a position that demands that I leave your company, immediately."

Never fired. She’s been in my party the whole game (since i found her).

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
someone said they thought Maia’s bird passive sucks, but it is awesome. Since it can’t be engaged, you can kite with it or immediately move out of combat and not die or whatever.

Similarly, I picked up the uh foreign companion monk/fighter last night and had a lot of fun with: stacking stride and defense vs disengage and activating the accurate strikes fighter buff and the swift strikes monk buff together. It’s the Flash, but with exploding bodies everywhere.

Just goes where he wants, nobody can touch him, and he just destroys. With shattered pillar/ devoted, this would be even more ridiculous, but I don’t know if even this is as good as a pure monk. I just like charge and rapid recovery too much, I guess.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

I think he was actually referring to when I listed Maia's passives as "Bird (bad) and increased gun range (great)" :toot:

Bird(bad rear end)

Sorry for the curse word!

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

frajaq posted:

There's a mod that removes direct-to-board damage if you dislike the idea of being punished just because you don't care about ship combat mechanics

I used this mod and it is great- however I think it caused some oddities in the final naval battle. Could just be jank with the RTC faction ship I got, though. Trying to board with this ship would often just drop me out to the main map with no actual battle. Did not test with/without mod, and worked beautifully up until I got the RTC faction ship, though.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Someone actually modeled that bush and nipples, has to be intentional.

The carpet does not match the curtains, immersion ruined.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
I don’t have any genius insights here, but I would like to say that I liked poe2 better than dos2. However, I never played dos2 multiplayer, only solo, and the game seems built from the ground up to support multi, at the expense of single- player enjoyment.

Poe2 really came into its stride with beast of winter and seeker, slayer, survivor. The two expansions are just so good with narrative expansion, and I really enjoyed the revelations about what eothas knew about the godhammer during the bridge aflame.

And maybe that’s part of the problem. Dos2 didn’t have an expansion- the game was complete when it was released. I know there has been conversation about the effect of DLC, and I can’t help but think that poe2’s halo would have shined so much brighter had everything been released at once. I also know that’s not feasible with the way the game was structured and funded.

After finishing seeker, slayer, survivor, I wanted more. The game is just excellent, and is right up there for my favorite game of all time (right next to the civilization series). The world is great, and though I understand the unpronounceable names criticism, I’m also chuffed by the attempt at something new.

As to Dos2 I recently played the remastered version after not playing since beating the game at release, and it was exactly the same- there was nothing to look forward to on a replay. Also, I found the combat to be unpredictable and janky- the antithesis of my turn-based preference- because I could never be 100% sure what would happen when my projectiles hit- would it ignite the ground, make an explosion, create a cloud that would then block my vision, or maybe heal the opponent, if for some reason these creatures that look alive are actually undead? It was a great game the first play through, but frustrated me on the second, so I didn’t finish. Still, that’s a lot of free time I spent on it!

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Mulva posted:

What exactly do you feel you are losing out on as an active force in this task?
I’m curious about this as well, but more curious for you to describe your “perfect” ending. This is your masterpiece, how exactly does it end?

Personally, I think the ending is perfect. The combat- heavy final bosses you may be looking for are in the game now- I have won a couple of times on potd and can’t beat the slime boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
I am firmly of the opinion that Deadfire’s Eothas narrative and the watcher’s interaction with the gods is excellent. The ending is excellent, from a literary perspective. Also eothas has the best voice since Jon Irenicus.

I guess I get why people are disappointed that their power fantasy is left unfulfilled by not being able to kill a god, but from a narrative standpoint in-game, there is no reason to ever think you can kill him.

If you want to understand deadfire, start a new game and tell Berath that you’re not going to help the gods. She returns you to the wheel and that’s that. There’s your agency. You have exercised the ultimate choice, you have attempted to assert your dominance over the gods, and you have failed. You will always fail, and that’s why eothas must do what he does.

Maybe the takeaway is that the game could have appealed to a wider audience by engaging more with the typical fantasy tropes and power fantasies, where you ascend to godhood and fight through the pantheon, besting each god in their respective elemental-themed realm. At the end, it is you and only you, on your throne in Ukaizo, deciding whether to break the wheel, or lording over humanity.

I’m glad it didn’t. It’s good fiction.