Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Backstab is a trap, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I kinda of want to do a “autolevel only” run, by which I mean I would level up companions according to what their skills and abilities would be if you had met them at that level and had autolevel turned on. It makes sense from a ~roleplaying~ perspective

Some brave, sad soul on Reddit posted a spreadsheet with PoE1’s companions, but I can’t find one for PoE2. I thought about what it’d take to do it, and it probably means setting your watcher to a certain level through the console, accepting a companion into your group, writing down on a separate piece of paper how they levelled, then reloading and picking a different level for your watcher, accepting the companion into your group, etc. Repeat a whole bunch of times.

Sounds tedious and I’m wondering if anyone can think of a better way of doing things

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What’s the deal with the ligatures option anyway

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Big, martial guys with colourful skin?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I rely on the recommended stats because I RESPECT the artist’s VISION

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hey can the different races interbreed? Asking for a friend

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve only skimmed the past few pages because I haven’t finished PoE2 yet, but now I’m wondering: I want my current character to be a hardcore abolitionist, is that direction not really represented in the game?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Pillars of Eternity 1 does this annoying thing, where a given piece of dialogue starts with a short bit of prose before the character speaks; however the voice acting starts up right away, so while you’re glancing through the opening text you’re hearing someone read out lines a couple of paragraphs ahead of where you’re at. Tempted to turn off voices completely

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think it’s p cool that a video game thread can embark on an earnest and considered pages-long discussion about colonialism and imperialism and not have it be off-topic, I really can’t wait to be far enough into PoE2 to start interacting with the factions

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Am I alone in wishing that PoE2 had a different protagonist than PoE1? The fact that you and your companions are set back to level 1 irks me... I’m a dragonslayer, why am I struggling to beat up these four boars?

That’s probably an obvious criticism. But, really, the big thing is that, for me, having never gotten to the end of PoE1, I just can’t bring myself to get too invested into 2 until I beat the first game...

I guess I’m comparing it to two BioWare series, Baldur’s Gate and Mass Effect. BG1 and BG2 are fortunate enough to be in the exact same combat engine, meaning character progression is entirely linear. Also, there is basically no reactivity to any of the choices you made in the first game; instead, you often get the chance to state what your attitude was towards a reoccurring character the first time you encounter them in BG2. And I’m wondering, isn’t that exactly enough?

The Mass Effect games are famous for its callbacks to many minute decisions the player made in the previous instalments, and it feels appropriate to me there, simply because the protagonist Commander Shepard is a very defined character with very specific background information. The entire series is also entirely about one specific crisis, whereas, as far as I know, PoE1 and PoE2 isn’t.

I don’t know. I don’t know how much manpower was spent making sure that the right flags get checked based on your PoE1 save data, but part of me feels that I’d be A-OK if the devs’ attention was spent elsewhere.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I find it hard to go through these games as not-good, it’s hard to justify picking up sidequests

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Drop the difficulty a level or two

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I didn’t know that those randos who tell you their life story at the drop of a hat were backers. Makes a lot more sense now

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish you could pop potions outside of battle. What made Baldur’s Gate potions fun was that you could scout ahead, drink your potions of strength or speed, and also they lasted several in-game hours

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

+15% healing received, yay

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guess it really is about consumable strength. In Baldur’s Gate you had potions that doubled movement speed and gave you an extra attack per round, potions that made you immune to spells, potions that made you as strong as a giant ten times your size, potions that made you invisible. In pillars of eternity, at best you’re fudging the numbers in your favour; at worst you’re not using them because they have an opportunity cost attached to them, particularly in turn-based mode.

Now I’m wondering, is there a stated reason why you can cast buff spells outside of combat?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why priest of Skaen? Just looked over some of their unique spells, nothing screams “nearly required for The Ultimate”

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The camera is what did me in. Same with Divinity Original Sin. Thank god Pillars keeps things 2D

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Endurance/Health attrition thing in PoE1 could be a little goofy, like sometimes it was better to let your guy get knocked out for the rest of the fight instead of healing him, because healing him would mean more Health loss and risk him permanently dying

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

IIRC the blunderbuss in particular is really good for a cipher, something about how it calculates focus gain

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What would be the order to complete Pillars 1 content in such a way that makes sense story-wise, so that I’m not off breeding chocobos or whatever when I should probably be solving a world-ending threat?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Big, empty wilderness areas between plot points, simplistic dialogue options, and no interesting companion interactions.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is it just me or is White March really difficult!!

I’m level 7, but I’m losing at least one guy every fight, and having to rest much more often than in the base game, which usually is about once per Endless Paths floor. I’ve had to rest twice just exploring one half of Longwatch Falls.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m going by the couple of posts last page that suggested level 7, or alternatively once Act 2 asks you to pick a faction (I’m at both)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Octo1 posted:

Here's your problem, Longwatch Falls is the hardest of the areas and you should leave it for last.

Ah that’s a relief. Thanks.

I wish the game told you!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m also playing through White March for the first time, and agree that it’s really, really good. Definitely a cut above many parts of the base game, which can sometimes be dry or restrictive.

In fact I’m not particularly looking forward to getting to Twin Elms, which will also be new to me, I just get the feeling it’s going to be a step down

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

NPCs with quests will have little barks when you approach them for the first time, like “Oh Rowena, my love... *sigh*” or “Psst! Hey you!” or “Won’t anyone at least hear me out?”

Also, I would suggest making it so that objects and nameplates are constantly highlighted, by making Tab a toggle instead of a “hold to highlight” key. It feels much better to me.

Relatedly, I’m getting good at ignoring buildings that wouldn’t hold immediate interest for my character. Why would my guy want to check out a fishery, or some random noble’s house, or a warehouse?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

At least the dwarves don't have inexplicable Scottish accents

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I finished White March 1 and unlocked the Durgan Steel enchantments... This is the most “too good to use” I’ve felt in a long time :gonk:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I‘m disappointed that PoE2’s Hard mode increases enemy stats a smidge, then first game’s Hard mode didn’t and felt more fair?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hey so I turned on scaling for White March Part Deux, and got completely demolished by a group of xaurips in the Stalwart mines. That’s one of the “inexplicably difficult” areas of the game, right? Or did I gently caress myself over by going for scaling?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve discovered that the “auto-level companions” is doubly a trap: besides the ability selections not being particularly optimal, it may sometimes even give you fewer abilities overall.

For example, Priests normally get the ability on the far-left of the tree for free as they increase in Power Level... But not Xoti, if she’s auto-levelled. She spends points to get those. I just tested her auto-level selections by manually increasing my level by one and repeatedly recruiting her, and recording what she picks.

So a Xoti who auto-levelled all the way to 20 will have 28 ability points spent... versus the 37 a fully player-directed Xoti gets.

I also checked with Edér, using the same level-up-by-one method, and as a Fighter he only spends 1 point at level 16 when he should have 2 to spend... As a Rogue, weirdly enough he gets 3 at level 11 but none at level 12 (so it evens out, I guess)... And as a Swashbuckler, at level 6, he picks a Power Level 3 ability when he only should only have access to Power Level 2. Just goofy stuff all around.

Anyway, my personal project of recording how the game auto-levels your guys is cancelled because after seeing what it does to Xoti, it’s pretty unusable.

edit:
Here's a lovely, homegrown Xoti versus a soulless, auto-levelled Xoti at level 20:

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 24, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe, but then they could’ve just put the missing points into passive abilities.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t mind being evil but I don’t like being rude :(

Lots of crpgs consider those the same

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The pet doesn’t get better armour as the it levels does it?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed a wild surge

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m using traps for the first time in Pillars 1, they’re goddawful. Tiny baby damage, rarely having any additional effect, pretty disappointing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think I get the ship combat, but it mostly just devolves into exchanging cannon fire for fifteen rounds, with no maneuvers beyond that, until I get bored and, well, board

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Robbing the Dawnstars wagon on the Port Maje Island really gets under Edér’s skin for some reason, that’s where I first noticed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve been using her fox as a magnet, having him be the party member I un-stealth first, which makes all of the enemies converge on him and allowing Aloth or whomever to unleash some AOEs. It’s fine because he does t have Health to worry about, only Endurance !