Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Probably going for a paladin/cipher.

Do you still have to minmax your mechanics to find all hidden treasures/open every lock in Deadfire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Speaking of pistols, how do they work when paired with a melee weapon? Do you only use the sword when you're in melee range? Do you still benefit from 2h weapon style bonuses?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

iirc you get the dual wielding speed bonuses, but only use the sword in melee (or the pistol at range, duh) and for some reason always reload the pistol before striking? So, if you pop off a shot then close to melee you still have to reload before you swing the sword. Also I don't think you use both weapons for full attack actions, not sure though

That actually sounds decent. Pistol and sword it is then!

drat I'm so stoked for this game :haw:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Octo1 posted:

Weapon style talents aren't fighter exclusive anymore, but yes, they all apply to ranged weapons.

Whaaaat? Arquebuses benefit from 2H style now?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Kith posted:

I legit hope we run into her and we get to install her on the ship as an anchor.

:same:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Inverness posted:

That is true, yet this is also a common hangup with mechanics like this.

It seems like per-encounter consumables would both alleviate those hangups and provide for better gameplay.

Ideally, consumables are somewhat rare items that feel special because they let you become more powerful during fights you have trouble with. If you turned them into per-encounter stuff, not only would you have to nerf the bonuses they provide and make them feel less exciting, but you would also turn them into semi-permanent passives you'd have to manage. It wouldn't be better, empowering gameplay, it would just be busywork.

I really don't think those particular mechanics are outdated.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

The third Abydon option is like, SUPER hard to get:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Lair_of_the_Eyeless

Edit: People who played Chanters in POE1, how...do you play Chanters well? Like Invocations take a while to get going, and I don't know if it's "good" to have more than two songs in a chant (so that their effects are basically always on)?

Soft winds of death + summon phantoms early on. The moment you unlock The Dragon Thrashed, sing it and go afk in the middle of the enemy team.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Dragon Thrashed stacks with itself, and high intelligence will actually increase its damage. There's some minmaxing you can do with other chants, but Dragon Thrashed on repeat utterly destroys every single encounter in the game and you really don't need anything more powerful than this.

You didn't ask, but it's probably worth noting that Scion of Flames doesn't work with this song since its damage is slash/burn (it would have to be burn/slash to work with SoF). Just so you don't pick up a useless perk.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Right, my bad. Point is, SoF won't work.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

What stats do you need to romance the sword

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

frajaq posted:

I have a meeting starting right at launch time :negative:

Set up a LAN, it's team building.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

DLC will be a hot spring scene with the Watcher and the talking sword.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

The CYOA into Intro Dungeon, really. I bounced right off it.

Oh you meant the bad Torment.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

frajaq posted:

Spoiler picture of a few gods in link below

:nws: warning: fish tits :nws:

:ironiwael:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Malek Deneith posted:

Apparently the "cosmic" animal codes work for more than just dog and birb that were spoiled in gaming magazines. Some streamer tried typing COSMIC CAT and it worked.

COSMIC ORLAN BABY :thunk:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I'm doing Maia's fedex quest but can't seem to find Tuaha in Port Maje. Can anyone help?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Ladies.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Vegetable posted:

I'm real bad at combat in this game. It's hard to even see where everybody is during a fight without hovering your cursor over them -- the character models don't look very distinctive.

Then there are the skills. My main character is a Rogue/Cipher and he just gets beaten to poo poo every time in a normal fight. He's supposed to sneak attack, but that aggros everybody and my tank Eder hasn't learned any skills to draw aggro away. I have no clue how to use wizard Aloth -- nearly everything causes friendly fire. I got Seraphen not very long ago and I'm also clueless about how a battle axe + gun combo works together at all

Also you can't actually change the attributes of any of your characters during level-up so unless you want to use hired mercenaries, you're just kinda stuck with the pre-configured companions you get.

One of the most common mistakes new players make is putting Eder in full plate with the biggest shield they can find and then wonder why the enemy team ignores the guy who grazes them for 5 damage every 10 seconds.
Give Eder 2 sabers and medium armor and have him spam his rogue special attacks. Since they are full attacks, he'll use both his sabers to deal huge damage and get some pressure off your squishies.
If you kept Eder as a pure warrior, either give him lighter armor or give him more offensive weaponry to make him a threat.

Anyway, I finished the game, better than PoE I in some aspects, worse in others. Main quest is pretty bad and combat balance is a complete joke right now. I know ropekid said they're going to patch it, but it still makes for a bad first experience when you can just right click everything to death past level 8 or so on PotD (with complete upscaling on, even though it clearly doesn't do anything). I really hope they'll improve on this because the combat system in itself has a lot of potential and I like most of what the game has to offer.

quote:

You can change stuff by "retraining" at an inn, I'm not sure if attributes are included but you can definitely change their abilities. Most of their stat arrangements are good enough for not PotD, and if you're doing PotD you are probably making a custom team immediately anyway. You should only aggro anything you hit, the rest should stay on Eder if they've already hit him when they come out of stealth. Otherwise put Eder in front (just pick up his tile on the bottom and move it to the front if you don't want to make a custom order). You should put some armor on your rogue cipher if you're finding that you go down to easily, cloth and light armor are only good if you're not going to die without real armor.

Don't retrain the main character until they patch the issue where you sometimes lose your special story-related abilities and training perks if you retrain him.
Or just quicksave beforehand I guess :v:

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 13, 2018

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Are there patch notes somewhere for the beta branch?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Cheers.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

onesixtwo posted:

So.. What the hell are you actually intended to do with Ship combat? I just spammed 1 between shooting / reloading. That really is some un-fun bullshit, so thank you for already modding it out.

alcaras posted:

Fire - Jib - Hold (to remove the -30% Jib penalty) - Fire - Jib - Hold - Fire

That or just mash 1 until you can board and kill everything, unless you get immediately shot 12 times by random sailors.
Sea combat is pretty bad yeah.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Why would you mash 1 until you can board when you can just click the "close to boarding" button as soon as ship combat starts?

e: Also if you're using the starting ship, two double-bronzers on one side make for a hell of an opening volley. Also also, rope kid: only getting one cannon from binding the souls to the Battery cannons means my ship will never be symmetrical. Think of the Goldpact Knights!

Doesn't that option gently caress up your ship? Mashing 1 only takes about 10 seconds.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Where can I find a spyglass, and where can I easily recruit a skilled surgeon?

Spyglass is in the map shop in Queen's Berth, found a skilled surgeon in pirate town.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Sanzuo posted:

I would love to finally complete the first game but I keep restarting as soon as I get to the big city.

What's a really fun class to play.

Shifter Druid/Monk or Shifter Druid/Assassin because bear punch

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Are there any must have Wizard spells at tier 2/3?

Infuse with vital essence is fantastic, the rest depends on your build. I'd grab the blights I guess.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Milli posted:

Just ran into Maneha in what has to be the most disappointing cameo ever. She didn't even have the same aw shucks voice actor :smith:

I mean that cameo brings nothing of interest to the game, that's pretty faithful to the character.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

lurksion posted:

Yes, it's a fun weapon and I immediately created a hireling to use it after picking it up from the location others have described. Don't see much use for the other two uniques from the same location though.

The warbow is insane. No recovery every time you crit lets you do very nasty things.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

They can be multiclassed to make them less boring and they're still really overpowered (not that it matters until they fix the difficulty).

Their chants are good, AI still doesn't know how to deal with summons and summoned drakes and dragons get a free empower point + a fire breath for absurd AoE damage.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

For those of you who completed Deadfire already, I'm curious what your playtimes were for PoE 1.

About 600 hours.
Keep in mind more than half of Deadfire's combat might as well not exist right now, the game's length will go up if they manage to fix that.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Wask posted:

Any suggestions on making my PC monk less fragile in general? Might even dual class him with fighter for some of the buffs/stances in the "real" playthrough now that difficulty scaling might be fixed. The fighter Mortal Kombat pull to use against casters or gunners looks very useful as well. That monk does tremendous damage but every now and then the enemy group with alpha strike him hard.

When in doubt, multiclass to fighter.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Still better than Aloth.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

If you enjoy infinity engine writing on any level, that means your brain is broken.
Pillars of eternity writing is decent enough that it adds something to the game, but playing the game solely for that also means your brain is broken.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I would have enjoyed Durance a lot more if his conversations with my benevolent kind wayfarer didn't boil down to my MC going "why yes, tell me more about that time you tortured children and killed innocents" while the rest of the team just frowns a bit I guess?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Don't know why you're all arguing when it's clear the reason why the game is awful is that you can only equip one pet

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Kind of wonder why Devil of Caroc (remorselles serial killer) doesn’t get the same critism as Durance about your lack of reactivity to her evilness. Maybe people just didn’t use her since rogues suck while priests are super usefull? :shrug:

Devil doesn't try to sound half as clever as Durance. I actually like the priest, but he's not really well written.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I think I got that belt from Furrante whn I asked for a reward after whatever quest he sent me on, but I honestly don't remember.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Can someone spoil what the strange tablet does?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What backup weapon do y'all give to Maia ? Quarterstaff? Or bow?

Just use any combination of the 3 unique war bows and spam accurate wounding shots. All 3 of those are insane in late game (or with any kind of setup like petrify), even if Maia can't get swift flurry.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Oh man, you know what really fucks me off?

Sigils.

Sigils that are specifically immune to any weapon that could hit them outside of their "gently caress you here's a non-expiring debuff" radius. Sigils of Death in particular.

Use scepters.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 17, 2018

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

User0015 posted:

I hate to say this, but I think Tekehaku is not a very useful companion. Druid spells in general just aren't cutting it, and his chants, while useful, are nothing compared to Pallegina's double heal aura combined with fresh fruit. I think I'm gonna drop him and put Maia in instead, and was planning on giving her Frostseeker for now. Should I multiclass her to Geomancer, or let her just straight hunter? I plan on using her as a ranged damage dealer along with my Monk.

Ranger/rogue is optimal for straight damage, geomancer might be fun to play or even useful if there was any reason to use crowd control past level 8 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - My Video Game Company is Worse Than Yours