Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

tithin posted:

So what's going on, can I get a cliffnotes on the drama?
After keeping his mouth mostly shut and only doing the occasional mudslinging at the "upper management" at Obsidian for three years, Avellone suddenly decided to open floodgates and fling poo poo at pretty much everyone he ever worked with at Obsidian.
The fact that he's started doing this now, right before PoE2 launches, and when there's Pathfinder: Kingmaker (an isometric RPG which he worked on) coming out later this year is surely a pure coincidence. Also note that he has yet to take any responsibility himself for whatever problems there were. In every single post he made it's always someone else's fault.
Even if the stuff Avellone's saying has a core of truth to it, his posts are exaggerated, distorted and one-sided. So basically all we really found out is that Avellone is an rear end in a top hat. Which really we already kind of knew, just not that he was this big of an rear end in a top hat.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I'm thinking of doing a Darcozzi/Soul Blade for my first run. With Soul Blade mostly focusing on damaging powers (since those seem to have fast cast times and the other party members I plan on bringing can handle status effects).
For those who played the backer beta, any tips or stuff to pay attention to?

Furism posted:

It seems to me that by "upper management" MCA really means "Feargus Urquhart".
E: and maybe he's using the generic term so that he can be sued for slander.
I think everyone thought that before when Avellone was talking "upper management", mostly because Urquhart is the only one that's really visible of OEI's founders. But now Avellone has started going after Urquhart, Chris Parker, Darren Monahan & Chris Jones directly by name.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Vargs posted:

Are all of the companions along the main quest? They weren't in PoE1.
They were though? I mean, if you wanted all companions as soon as possible you'd have to go out of your way to get to them. But if you followed the base game's & WM's main quests, you'd get to them all eventually. Pallegina being the exception.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Vargs posted:

Grieving Mother and Pallegina were in optional side areas. Sagani and Hiravias were in zones that you had to go through, but they were wide open generic wilderness maps where you could easily miss them if you didn't scour the whole area. I could see people missing Zahua as well. Don't remember how you recruit Maneha since she is aggressively uninteresting.
Yeah, Pallegina is the exception like I said. She's not along the critical path. But Grieving Mom is in Dyrford Village, which you have to go through for the MQ. Granted, she's in a little corner by herself, but she's marked of the map. Sagani is placed besides the road and Maneha in the middle Stalwart Village, you really can't miss them.

Thinking about it, you're right about Zahua & Hiravias, though. They're both misseable if you don't explore the map completely.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Avalerion posted:

dunno what folks are on about paladins being bad.
Paladins are fine now. But if I recall right, they were bad when PoE1 launched and people still repeat outdated info.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

rope kid posted:

You can't manually alter the save.
About that. Can you edit some details from your PoE1 save, before you start the game? For example, I have a save with Aloth's grandmaster ending and play with that. And for a second playthrough I'd want to keep the rest of the import data from my PoE1 save, but only want to change Aloth's ending.

Or is the PoE1 savestate uneditable in any way? And for any customization you'll have to use the state creator?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

So I just met Ydwin. Her hook seems like she was really clearly going to be a full companion at some point.
She almost was a full companion. We missed that stretch goal by a mere 500.000.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

beta changelog posted:

Fixed mouse functionality issue for users who had their Windows language setting on something other than English.
Wait, what? How does a language setting interfere with mouse functionality?:psyduck:

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 12, 2018

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I really wish Obsidian had gotten some art intern to churn out a bunch of portraits. Finding pictures of humans/wood elves/dwarves is easy enough. But what do I even type in google for pale elves, orlan & godlike?

If you're wondering what sort of problem the RPGCodex might have with someone getting married: Tim Cain's husband is named Robert Land.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

PirateBob posted:

How the gently caress do you ship a game with these kinds of bugs after 3 years of development :confused:
Welcome to videogames. Though really, I'd say the bugginess is below the norm for a game of this scope. Especially for a studio of Obsidian's size.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

How did every companion save for Eder and Pallegina get written as bisexual? I feel kinda confused on how to take it. I’m bi so hey more representation but it feels kinda dull that everyone that wants to gently caress also wants to gently caress the player no matter what.
I kind of feel that having the romance options be player-sexual is a logical endstage for games where the player can be any gender/race/species. Also bisexual and player-sexual are really two different things.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Aurubin posted:

The first game's whole thing was that the Engwithians, in their search for divinity, found "only a wheel, turning without mercy, grinding our souls into dust."

So unless the above post is correct wrt to the mechanics of it all, it's either a weird retcon or Eothas is loony. Also, the gods make a big to do about how life on Eora would cease without the
Wheel, so possibility of them lying aside, that to me says the Engwithians hijacked the natural process.

The people going on (not just in the quoted post, but also over on reddit and the obsidian forums) about this being a retcon have me baffled. Did the concept of myths and unreliable narrators stop existing all of a sudden?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ropekid posted:

There’s one person playing the game on a Windows Server 2003 machine.
How?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

How so? Eventually every project, no matter what it is, comes down to time and money.
Yes, resources are finite. However there isn’t a single pile of resources.
A writer isn’t coding. A texture artist isn’t doing qa work. Every project has seperate parts and taking away money from part A and giving it to part B isn’t going to make B magically work better.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Um, you hire less of one and hire more of the other?
More project management 101 lessons!
Throwing more bodies at a problem sometimes can indeed work. Two artist could produce twice the amount of portraits a single artist could.
But often it doesn’t and will just make things more inefficient. See for example Brooks's law for some basic information about this.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

KoldPT posted:

Paradox and Obsidian weren't really happy with how it worked out, so it's unlikely they'll work together again. However, Paradox does have the IP and is considering developing more stuff in that setting.
Is there any source for that other then Avellone?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

You can wield a melee weapon in one hand and ranged weapon in the other and it'll use your ranged weapon until an enemy is in melee range, which is what he's asking about.
No clue if it counts for the one-handed passive (because you're only using one at a time) or dual-wielding, but yeah you can use a blunderbuss for it.
It counts as dual wielding, so the melee weapon gets the speed bonus.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Smol posted:

Do we know when the physical copies will be shipped?
No. The only information we got so far is that the physical edition will be late.
Note that the physical copies of PoE1 were also late. I got mine something like 4 or 5 months after PoE1's release date.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zarick posted:

Is there a good list of all of the unique weapons anywhere?

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Category:Pillars_of_Eternity_II:_Deadfire_unique_items

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I killed Edér in PoE1 before doing the final dungeon.
I never had much love for Edér in PoE1 and didn't really want him to see him again in Deadfire. But I did liked the PoE1 ending where he became a mayor. So killing him was the only way he'd stay in the Dyrwood and take care of Dyrford.

It made sense at the time.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Also you can reincarnate into a plant?

Ropekid posted:

Animancers and ciphers don't know a ton about souls in plants, but at least some large, old trees in Eir Glanfath have them. Dyrwoodans found this out the hard way during the War of Black Trees.
That is, if some background lore hasn't been revised in the 5 years since that was posted.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 11, 2018

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's funny you're bringing up those two in particular, because both ToB and MotB are good examples of why building an expansion entirely around high-level combat is a really bad idea.
That may have had more to do with both games being based of DnD, instead of something like high-level combat being inherently bad.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Hoping to not start another semathic argument over this but I’m mainly taking issue with the phrasing (“the gods aren’t real”). Like there are a tons of good reasons why you’d want to oppose the gods but Iovara and Thaos just make it all this phylosophical/ethical argument where I’m finding myself not really engaging with either side.
I think it would have helped if the story had actually done something with the revelation.
The gods aren't real. Okay, in what way? They do actually exist and can influence the world. Does them having a mortal origin make them not real? Maybe, but the fantasy genre has plenty of examples of mortals creating gods or becoming gods themselves. So why is this any different? And why wouldn't them being worshipped as gods make them gods, regardless of their origins?

I think it would have worked a lot better if the reveal was the start of a new story about why the Engwithans created the gods and spread their new faith. Instead this big revelation ended up being not much more just a throwaway line the story barely paid any attention to.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 18, 2018

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

jokes posted:

[Say Nothing] becomes my new favorite response then.

Oh gently caress it, it's my current favorite one.
Should have been [Glare Silently]

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Wasn't that because Wizards didn't let them tear down the wall?
Obsidian simply assumed that tearing down the wall would be too massive of a change in the Forgotten Realms settings. So they never even bothered to even ask WotC if it was okay, since obviously it would just get slapped down.
In retrospect 4th edition ended up happening at the same time as MotB and WotC got rid of the wall themselves in the setting overhaul. So maybe they should have asked.:shrug: Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

hangedman1984 posted:

No orlans, 1/10, would not recommend :colbert:
There's an orlan in there. The real crime is the lack of pale elves.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I wonder how many takes it took to record Pallegina's exiled-and-pissed-at-the-watcher rant.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

It matters when poo poo-flinging campaigns spill over to sites that actually matter, sure. I wasn't aware there even was one against Deadfire but I saw it with Siege of Dragonspear and the effect it had on Metacritic and Steam reviews was insane. But do you really believe the average random person on Twitch watching a prerelease Deadfire stream has ever even heard of Avellone or his beef with Obsidian?
No, they didn't. Because the RPGCodex' attempt at making it a big drama sort of petered out.
But the attempt at starting a poo poo-flinging campaign did happen. The week before PoE2's launched and for one or two weeks afterwards, the RPG Codex and various others were definitely trolling around by twitting Avellone's story to gaming journalists and posting about on Steam and review comments.
But I guess they quickly lost interest after no one picked the story up. And looking the Deadfire thread over on the RPG codex, they now busy themselves by being baffled the singular they is a thing that exists in English.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I'm pretty sure I also recall Ropekid saying PotD would not be properly balanced before release.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Agnosticnixie posted:

Also in general I give less than a poo poo about whether the upgrades are great for minmaxing so long as the aesthetics please me
This guy gets it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Did people know the Wheel was an actual structure pre-Deadfire? It seemed like everyone talked about it as a belief, a metaphor. Then there's no doubt from anyone that it exists in a physical form.
I think people - in particular animancers - knew it existed. In the same way they knew the gods existed. There's a difference between believing in reincarnation as a concept and knowing it is an actual existing process.
But I doubt anyone knew it was a physical structure you can walk up to.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 28, 2018

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
So about the physical backer rewards. Someone over on the Obsidian forums contacted OEI on facebook about it and got a response:

Obsidian on facebook posted:

Thank you for reaching out to us and I apologize that you have not felt heard. If you let me know your username, I'll send it over to our forum peeps to see what's going on with your posts, as that shouldn't be a thing. As for your inquiry into the physical rewards, you have every right to be upset. In the last Backer Update (https://forums.obsid...winter-preview/) we gave some news, but after sending that out, things happened with our European distribution center that was out of our control. We will be sending out an update to all of our Physical Backers very soon. The long and short of is that while our goods are in the distribution center, the European distribution center revealed to us that they went bankrupt and wouldn't be able to fulfill their commitment to ship items out. We have been scrambling to find a place that can take the items from them and get them out, and we hope we finally have a solution.

It isn't ideal and we're beside ourselves that we have let it come to this as we had every intention to get the physical rewards out to everyone when the game launched. That didn't happen and it's making us evaluate how we would do physical orders (or do them all) in the future if we did another crowdfunding experience.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and we are aiming to resolve the issue as quickly as we possibly can.

I guess the items for all backers worldwide were somehow stored in Europe somewhere?:shrug:
I have the game, I had fun with my first playthrough and it's not like I need that Obsidian hoodie with it being 35°C outside. So personally I'm good. But I do have to roll my eyes at this: Stuff obviously went wrong at least 3 months ago. Not just after the last backer update. Just be transparent about this sort of stuff.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

Is anyone else having trouble getting the BOW DLC to download? Steam shows it as purchased but its greyed out, checking and unchecking the box doesn't do anything. The game itself in the library keeps doing second long downloads but nothing shows up in download manager. Its set to always keep up to date in properties.
That's a Steam issue. What generally works for me when that happens, is to restart Steam. If no download shows up, delete one or two random files from the game's installation and then run "verify integrity of game files".

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

pmchem posted:

I just really do think that some users will never know this feature exists, and it's such a nice feature.
Maybe.
But I think it's a save bet that the group of players who are comfortable enough on PotD that they want to increase the difficulty further with challenge modes, and the group of players who have no interaction with the main playerbase at all and so have no means to hear about the challenge modes via word of mouth have no overlap.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
<Gods stuff>

mitochondritom posted:

If the Engwithans created them and it took the entirety of the civilisation (more or less) to do it, how did they decide on the number, names and portfolios of the gods?
I'm pretty sure this is never addressed fully, but the simplest explanation is that the Engwithans had a religion and the whole "find out if the gods are real"-thing was just to proof that they were right and everyone else wrong. They based the gods they created on the myths and scriptures they had lying around. That's also an easy explenation for why Rymrgand appears to be older then the other gods. He might have been created at the same time as the other gods, but the worship of Rymrgand could be far older.

Edit:

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

2)I feel like Obsidian made a mistake in making the line where Eothas explains this optional, but the Gods were based on the Engwithan legends and pantheon.
Well, I for one completely missed that line.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

mitochondritom posted:

If the goal was to bring the savages to heel, why would it make any sense at all to make their gods real? If some tribe of Rymyrgand worshippers was giving the Engwithans a hard time, the last thing to do would be to actually create Rymyrgand and also let him drag idiots into interdimensional portals. It would just reaffirm the already held beliefs of the tribe
The Engwithans made their own gods real. And then went on a massive conversion spree to make everyone switch over to this pantheon. Sometimes this meant that the gods had to adopt a new name, or a new aspect. Perhaps Gaunn was not originally an aspect of Eothas. But maybe some cultures couldn't accept either Rymyrgand or Berath, so a more kinder and friendlier version of death was needed and Gaunn was born.
If you want a real example of this, the most obvious example is how early Christianity adopted various rituals, imagery, festivals, etc from other cultures/religions and made it its own.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Furism posted:

(*) Well actually XCOM2 might be the perfect game. Discuss.
I will never forgive that game's rng for failing 6 90+% shots in row in one turn.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I sympathize with the workload problem, but I do think it's pretty evident that sidekick as they ended up being in the game are pretty unsatisfactory.

I kind of want to say that's because people somehow expected sidekicks to be a light version of companions, despite Obsidian being really clear about what sidekicks were going to be.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

'Cause the current implementation doesn't make anybody happy and if they get a fun minigame working more people will develop interest in it.
I really doubt that stapling some random bits of complexity to the existing thing is going to make the navel combat more engaging, or "tactical" in way. I kind of feel that a complete rework of the whole is needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Furism posted:

FPS is probably the worst possible way of doing heroic & fantasy combat (magic or martial). Don't do this ropekid.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was awesome. :colbert: