Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I didn't find any enemies in this game anywhere near as annoying as one specific kind of ghost in white march that I can't remember the name of. Battery Phantom or something like that. They had a solid amount of HP (more than I could nuke quickly), a ton of defenses in all categories, and would spam giant aoe paralysis / raw damage aoes. They would graze hits with paralysis on half my party for 10 seconds each, and came in pairs, and came with other ghosts who could swap place with party members. I... wasn't so interested in continuing the dlc after meeting those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

If I remember correctly, Soul Annhialation is a primary attack, so you'd best get Serafen some kind of two-handed weapon. Morningstar has 'attacks reduce enemy will' as a modal (I think) so that can be useful to make it easier for him to land debuffs.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

2house2fly posted:

apparently repairing equipment is incredibly expensive, to the point that repairing items costs more in resources than you get from the amount of combat you'd be doing to break them

That actually sounds like a neat way of making you continue to use different gear, assuming the degradation rate isn't too intense or too weak.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I tried POTD today with a new character, an eothas priest / ranger. Hired two adventurers at Port Maje, but tried a half a dozen times at the groceri street ambush and the digsite and couldn't beat them :v: This was without intentionally trying to gimmick the encounters by only pulling half the enemies, if that is a thing you can still do? Either way, I think I might just hop down a step to veteran.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I mean

That's still a little different than murdering civilians for the express purpose of destabilizing local governments for conquest :v:

Yeah, she only kills a handful while you take out entire ships, one after another! :haw:

I'm kidding of course, I'm not here to argue about the morality of pirate-fishman-fantasy governments.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I sided with the RDC because the hazanui is right, the deadfire is lacking in plantations and forts and it might be nice to fix that famine problem rauatai has! Then they built me a cool submarine and no-one suffered in the deadfire ever again :colbert: I'm not 100% sure on where to fall on whether a few assassinations is better or worse than exploiting locals and resources and consorting with slavers...

Though I might have thought differently if I knew that getting to Hasongo could solve the extreme weather problems they were having...

Really, I agree that imperialism sucks but I was just playing along with the game, I don't think the mindset of the average citizen of Eora cares much about that. I might have slightly bought into 'We're outnumbered compared to the VTC and Huana! Life sucks for our people, it'll be better for everyone in the long run if we integrate the deadfire and feed everyone!'

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 7, 2019

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

You're basically just describing India man. "It'll be better if we can ransack your country for our own agricultural needs".

At least they are anti slavery? Yeah, I wouldn't ever justify it, I just thought it would be interesting to follow through for the character I was playing. Next time I think I'll go ahead and try VTC or Hauna.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I think you fundamentally misread what's going on in that conversation. He's not a socially awkward savant, he's a sociopath. It's why everything he says and does is tailored to what he knows about your personality. He does not believe in anything and the few times he lets the mask drop that comes across pretty loud and clear. The only way he knows how to interact with people is to manipulate them.

This is why, in addition to how he changes like a chameleon to the player, there's ambient banter among the Rauataian soldiers about how he acts like a completely different person to each of them.

That's really neat, I'll have to pay attention when I get there on my newest character.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Is there a way to have AI for animal companions? If I could get a mod for it (if anyone knows of one) or alternatively, I am using enhanced AI conditionals, but didn't see a way to open an ai tactics menu for animals or see a condition for 'send my animal to attack this'. I was just thinking that I'd set Ishi to automatically target anything that is engaging Maia in melee and set my boar to automatically target the same thing as me, since I'm a stalker.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 8, 2019

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I'm torn between a dashing Valian debonair/cipher or a corpse eater/undecided second class violent, selfish thug to join the new pirates.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

The Pillars 2 Console mod lets you change subclasses, and it was working for me if you also got this extra file linked below. I have not used any of the other features so I can't tell you if any of that works, just that you can still class change everyone on the most recent version.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7112276-unity-console-for-poe2-30-bugs/

File location is <SteamAppsFolder>\Pillars of Eternity II\Plugins\Console\Lib (i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II\Plugins\Console\Lib).

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

All party members are my good friends except Xoti when she clumsily hits on me :mad:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Two thoughts from my current run - I bought the Necklace of Unlocked possibilities right near the start and every time I roll Amira's Wing and drop a huge 100 raw damage bomb on everything is great. Secondly, executing a charmed minion as debonaire with a 100 focus soul annihilation at the end is also great.

Debonaire, in general, seems pretty powerful. I don't really care about being unable to engage and don't find it too hard to stand near an animal companion or summon or charmed friend to not suffer cowardice. While the hit-to-crit on charmed targets is sometimes useful, any fight with Kith becomes a lot easier. I've got 22 or so PER and find charm rarely misses, and it lasts 6 or 7 turns on a hit (no idea how long that is in RTWP).

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I hadn't brought her before, but if you do, Pallegina is just so excited to join in the animancy experiment on the tower in Neketaka and has an awkward little excited outburst when you report back to Castol and he gives you the small speech about the benefits of their research. I guess she can only show emotion in two situations: sarcastically naysaying the gods and anything animancy related. :v:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

You can also get zero morale if you don't notice you haven't refilled water / food and then not watch closely where you are sailing and hit a storm, as multiple days tend to pass in the storm events. Happened to me once, but no mutiny - I went and won a battle and split the loot to fill back up.

Also I've tried some god challenges, and I found Rymgarand's so annoying with how quickly everything decayed so I quickly switched that one off. Skaen is basically a non-factor, Galawain makes a slight difference in some combats, especially the 'volatile' modifier.

Abydon's is one I've been enjoying, I feel like it has been nice to encourage changing everyone's gear now and again. I don't know if it will get very annoying in the endgame or too tedious for repeat playthroughs, but positive so far.

Don't think I ever plan on playing with Magran, Berath, Wael, or Eothas - those are challenges that I don't like the style of.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Personally I think it is fully functional right now with the one exception: you can't play attack speed stacking characters. Initiative isn't a useless stat, but you can't scale a character with it like before. A little bit of initiative bonus is good, but too much is a wasted investment. So as long as you don't mind being inclined towards slower, bigger hitters and you check the duration of your buffs and debuffs, I haven't seen much else that is non functional. I'm fairly tolerant though, others probably disagree.

EDIT: Battles ARE a deal slower though. That could be an influence on your decision, that probably isn't changing a huge amount.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 9, 2019

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, if I had a mod to blanket reduce everyone's HP or amplify damage I would.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Does anyone have any fun build recommendations? Possibly for turn-based? I played a Monk/Barbarian last time, so I want to do something different this time.

I'm currently playing a rogue debonair / soul blade. Wear light armour so you can quickly charm foes with Ringleaders or Whisper of Treason at the start of rounds, then later :commissar: them with Soul Annhialation. Also good for hanging back and chipping away with shred spells. I've got very high int and perception for long debuffs, but good might could also have been a choice for maximum big hits.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

As far as Maia goes, I've had good fun with arcane archer/tactician. Give her the talent that lets ishiza engage, surround your foes once you've killed enough of them and then regenerate two resources a turn to upkeep vigilant strikes and lob fireball/web bullets or upgraded defensive roll for free attacks.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Digital Osmosis posted:

So, has anyone gotten changing classes on 4.1 to work? I thought the unity console had some limited effectiveness but the cheat window won't even show up, and no tables for cheat engine seem to be working either. I just want to play in turn based with the standard companions but who have totally insane class combinations, is that too much to ask?

If you haven't tried this, this worked for me, go here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7112276-unity-console-for-poe2-30-bugs/

Take that file and put it in Pillars of Eternity II\Plugins\Console\Lib, overwrite the old one.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Pillars stuff is 30% ish off on a GOG sale, so if you were on the fence about DLC like me, now is the time! I just grabbed beast of winter and forgotten sanctum. While I do like the combat in this, I like it in addition to the world and stories - I don't think I'd hugely enjoy a big arena battle zone.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Related to turn-based bugs, it seems if you ever have an animal companion suffer terrify, you're soft locked as they can't pass their turn, nor attack. Is there a solution? The couple of times this happened I just reloaded a save, at least terrify is a very uncommon condition from enemies.

Love turn-based, it is just a shame that some of my favourite spells (charms and spamming weak summons) aren't very good/are very time-consuming. On the other hand, it is really cool to counter spells and effects with the right elements!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

H13 posted:

Sorry to kill the current (and interesting convo), but I just got into POE 2 after beating POE 1.

I'm seeing a lot of improvements but I have questions. I think the new classes work a fair bit better for the most part and the multi-classing is great fun (sneak-attacking monk? gently caress yeah!)

- Gimroires are weird don't seem as useful now. Can I edit Aloth's Grimoire to be less shite?

- After getting to Neketaka, I kinda feel a bit...directionless? I've got a whole bunch of quests that I'm working through but I've no idea where Eothas has gone, or how any of what I am doing is leading me to him. Hopefully a point to this (beyond pirating and levelling) reveals itself a bit more later...

You can't edit grimoires. The main use of them is that they let you access more spells without putting skill points into them, which makes them even better for multiclass wizards. You can get more grimoires from shops and drops from wizard enemies. You can also put them in a character's quick slots and they can swap grimoires in battle if you want to change your spell selection.

The main quest after Neketaka is to go to follow him to Hasongo, they speak about it in the palace, but it can be easy to forget after all the different stuff you can do.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I feel the same way, it'd be interesting to try it if there was a mod that cut everyone's hp by some percent.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I'm not sure there's really a great solution for dex for non-casters. More attack speed could give you partial attacks or chance to attack more than once, I suppose. At that point +5 might for 10% bonus damage and +5 dex for +10% chance to double hit end up achieving almost the same thing.

A real shame is that 'clear your initiative' on the barbarian skills just makes you go first in a round instead of taking another turn immediately. It'd be great to snipe an enemy with the barbaric melee attack, soften up a group, cleave another one down, cleave another one down, etc, one after another - however, I found the upgrade that causes frenzy to do ice damage and terrify to be very, very useful. It's a free action with both aoe damage and crowd control. It can deal even more damage if scared enemies disengage, and it only costs 1 resource. Not the most exciting way to fight, but it works.

Free Triangle posted:

Are monks still good in turn based? I'd imagine losing lightning hands and fast weapons would hurt the class

I found monks to be pretty darn useful in the right cases. The extra dex from lightning hands isn't great, but there are a few other useful skills. Blade Turning lasts one round so you can just walk into a group of enemies you can engage and make them all slap each other until you run out of wounds. Skyward Kick is basically just a stun, making the opponent miss a turn. There's the charge skill for getting around annoying foes in your way., and It can be very easy to line up the cone attack that causes stuns on secondary targets.

Half of these are primary attacks though so they aren't that great for dual wielding.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 9, 2019

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

They definitely at least should have considered they only gave you two party members, that really screws over people who don't hire custom adventurers.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Could someone possibly give a quick summary of durance and grieving mother do that gets these strong emotions? I hated poe1 and never used them the one time I played it.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Free Triangle posted:

Starting my final party for 5.0, going to be giving turn based a shot. Are monks still good in turn based? Is the attack speed to initiative change a big enough deal that monks aren't as effective before?

I had Pallegnia as a monk/paladin when I did a turn-based playthrough, still found them great. Easy buffs for huge amounts of stride to hit the back lines, stunlocks with skyward kick, easy to line up stuns with the cone attack. Not quite the same massive damage capacity but still a ton of good tricks.

Personally, I'm about to start as a big amaua blackjacket fighter/corpse eater rear end in a top hat barbarian and eat my way across the deadfire.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I had it on last game I played, I can't remember how large the storms are and how quick the enemy ships are normally, but I didn't find them to be overbearingly annoying with it on, so I liked it.

Though take that with a grain of salt, I'm ok with the ship combat minigame and/or level up all my party members for huge boarding fights.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

leftist heap posted:

So is knocking people prone way less useful in turn based mode? Seems mostly useful for interrupts, and I guess knocking low initiative types down the order.

Yeah, mostly for interrupts, but it also applies a deflection penalty, so it can make it a bit easier for you to hit them if you coordinate.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

The only thing I'd call non-viable that I've seen in turn-based is dex and attack speed stacking. Every other kind of character has always been pretty useful to me, though summoners make you take a whole lot of extra clicks.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

My thoughts, on god challenges, from the ones I've tried.

-Ondra is fine if you don't hate ship combat. Avoid if you immediately close to board every battle, as it won't really be doing anything for you.
-Skaen is basically a non-factor. Some rare encounters might be slightly more annoying as you get shot from off-screen, but I hardly noticed it.
-Woedica is obviously there only if you prefer classic style per-rest refills, I hate that so I didn't use it.
-Rymgarand's was very tedious for me, I disabled it with console after playing for a while. Could be interesting if you like the slow roleplay aspect of stopping at ports to fill up on supplies for specific short voyages - not just sailing anywhere anywhen. Food spoils very, very fast - 1-5 days on most stuff.
-On the other hand, I found Abydon's to be interesting enough. A good reason to occasionally swap out gear on your characters and put all those unique weapons to use.
-I thought Galawain's was good. Interesting way to shake up some encounters, though I'm told a couple superbosses are beasts, so it'd make them way harder if they got vampiric (lifesteal part of damage dealt) for example.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Is there a way to tell when an item is about to break? I have Abydon's challenge on and I'm doing the prologue but I don't see any indication that stuff is breaking. I assume it eventually will but how do I know when that will happen? Or is there no way to and you basically need to rotate gear and hope for the best?

Things don't break all at once, they deteriorate in stages, like weapon upgrades. -15% damage, then -30, -45 and then broken (and can't be recovered). Armor is the same, with -1 armor per stage. From what I could tell, weapons taking damage happened randomly on any attack, and armor whenever you were taking hits. There will be a little text popup above the character saying 'Weapon Damaged!' when it happens.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I was initially turned off and didn't buy until later because I disliked a lot of POE1 mechanics and wasn't too hot on the plot. I'm glad I picked this up in the end since there were so many improvements to the things I disliked.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

It is really odd, some of the other summons like the wyrm trio last a number of turns, the giant spore lasts a bunch of turns, but the ghost and the skeletons last only two or so.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

On top of that, you are more likely to get grazes/hits than misses in turn-based as well, so deflection bonuses are a bit less useful.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Anyone can restore half their resources once per battle by empowering themselves (click empower circle, click character portrait) and paladins can get a passive for restore zeal on killing blow, I think. I don't think rogues have any special way to restore guile, but the amount of guile and zeal you get do continually increase with levels.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Enemies generally don't like to leave engagement, so if your tanky character engages an enemy and the enemy engages him, your softer character can walk up, make attacks, and walk away. If you get multiple engagement abilities, then your tank can tie up multiple enemies. This is mostly turn-based thinking, though.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

As far as I recall, they can take injuries in boarding battles, so if you had them in your party and took two injuries, they would die upon getting a third - or if you fought a bunch in a row and they kept getting injured in each one. I made it a habit to make sure I'd heal all injuries before swapping someone out of my party. That happened to me in a much older version, though, so I don't know if it was a bug or feature or even still exists. I think they can also die if you're playing Berath's challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of RTwP I tried booting up PoE 1 again because I still really want the context of the first game but the combat just makes it impossible for me to enjoy and it really bothers me :smith: I've tried so many times now.

I feel the same way, I've played poe1 but I'm never going back after poe2, especially now that it has turn-based. Plot and stuff alone isn't enough to carry it past rtwp for me.