Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I thought they were supposed to add some challenges via Berath's Blessings too, but from that look, it all seems to be positive stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tzarnal posted:

Going by a developer stream challenges like the old Tripple Crown Solo are not in the achievements and not implemented yet because they want to get a better handle on balance and whats reasonable first. And it does not seem very import to have day 1.

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. Not a huge deal either way, to be honest.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Blowing up gunpowder barrels is fun. IMO.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I hope the fixes to save import are retroactive, I've been enjoying the game so far and, while I'm pretty early on, I dunno that I'd want to restart just to get Edér as a mayor.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

wjs5 posted:

So what does the mod actually do? I cant check it while im at work.

In the base game, going close to board at the start of the fight generates some damage for your ship and crew. That mod reduces that damage to 0, so you can always close to board for every ship combat and just handle it like normal combat.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

So is stat buffs from multiple items stacking intended? Like from 2 different pieces of equipment. I'm sitting on 26 Int :eyepop:

Yes. They removed the stacking rules from Pillars 1, though I think there are still some limitations in place for active buffs from abilities and stuff like that.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
My bug with Edér's import has been fixed by the beta patch and that was the only problem that I met that was really bothering me. Really happy with that! He still has the Night Market amulet but eh, I imagine it would have been more trouble than it's worth it to just swap that for the other item, and honestly, the bonuses are so small that I don't mind.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I didn't expect the first quest I got with animancers to go the way it did specifically, ending up in the Beyond and meeting a very pissed Rymrgand. That was fun.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

fuckpot posted:

Standard 'avoiding thread like the plague' disclaimer incase it has been repeatedly mentioned but...

I notice the priest Prayer Against x are gone and I'm scared of what to do when I come up against my first enemy that casts charm/domination spells. How do you counter them in this game?

Use an inspiration of the same type or at least items that grant you Resistance to downgrade the stuff. I believe charmed/dominate/etc. are Intelligence afflictions.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

Do spells actually graze? I was under the impression that grazes only applied to attacks.

Spells absolutely can and do graze. That's why some spells say they Interrupt on Hit while others say they Interrupt on Graze!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I just realized that Nemnok (sidequest boss fight) jumps around the battlefield because he's a giant version of an imp, and that's their ability.

Also, wow, took a lot of effort to save Kaali.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm really glad difficulty isn't that huge of a deal for me because I enjoyed the game from start to finish. Unmarked spoilers: it's a good game*.

* IMO

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Autosave seem to work more or less like PoE1, and they basically only happen when you switch to a new area.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Oh, I have no idea how Trial of Iron works with autosaves, to be honest. That does sound annoying, though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I tried using more or less everyone in my party but Serafen's probably the party member I used less.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
They cut some lines of dialogue that would have gone into detail about it but it's not really difficult to infer that the Engwithans altered the cycle of death and rebirth with one of their machines. As it often happens with man-made changes, destroying the artificial additions is not sufficient to make things revert to how they were, and it actually screws them up further.

As for your choices being acknowledged in the ending: most of the conversations with Eothas seemed to make it clear to me that he appreciated the Watcher's efforts and admired them for what they were doing. Eothas' plan is mad and stupid, just like what he did during the Saint's War, and he's so single-mindedly focused on it that he doesn't even acknowledge certain aspects until you, someone who he respects, bring them up.

I will acknowledge that the structure of the endgame is a bit weird, but I wasn't really bothered by it, at most it's a curiosity.

Finally, you might not like it, but what the main plot comes down to is a desperate move from the Gods who have been completely caught off-guard by Eothas' plan, who, for all his daftness in other areas, clearly managed to outmaneuver them from day 1.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'd love a game set during the Saint's War but I don't know that it would necessarily have been the best way to introduce the setting on a low-ish budget and with the mission statement of making a Baldur's Gate spiritual successor.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

jokes posted:

About the final CYOA fight, do you get to fight the kraken? I saved the dragon and he owed me a solid so he murdered the hell out of the kraken, gave me a dragon thumbs up, and then went off to his home planet or whatever. I was hoping to fight a(nother) kraken.

Unless you got a wildly different CYOA than me, I don't think you interpreted it what went on correctly: the creature that attacks there is the Guardian of Ukaizo, who then comes back to the island after presumably defeating/wounding Scyorielphas

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Taear posted:

What if you have to fight it there though, what happens?

I don't think you can fight it there. Pretty much all the options seem to be designed to momentarily repel the beast, though I don't know what kind of checks are present in the dialogue to decide whether you succeed or not.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Rauataians do have a map on their Hazatoha boards in-game, by the way, though its canonicity can be disputed given 1) they might not be great cartographers and 2) they might have fudged the proportions for gameplay reasons.

Link here: http://gayloruranus.tumblr.com/post/174931214244/the-hazatoah-board-in-the-brass-citadels

Presumably Eothas could have shortcutted through the continent that way, yes, but it seems like he was really only using Biawacs as a last resort and trying to rely entirely on the luminous adra's well of souls. Even the fact that he possessed the adra statue seems to be down to the fact that it was incredibly durable and suited to his purpose.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

This is great, thanks!

I get why there's no official maps of Eora but its frustrating having no idea how the world fits together visually.

To be clear, I didn't make that map, just linked it! Credit goes 100% to the person who owns that Tumblr blog.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Regarding Godlikes: in one of the last chats with the Gods, you're told by Berath that Godlikes serve two purposes: their souls can absorbed in "break glass in case of emergency" situations, should the Gods not be strong enough to fight whatever threat comes up, and in case the Gods need a new body to possess.

Incidentally, it makes me want to check back the previous materials and see if it's ever outright stated that Waidwen was human, because honestly, that would seem like a pretty big hint that he was actually an Eothasian Godlikie of some kind.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Omniscient divinity is not *that* common in the fantasy genre, to be honest. I don't think most D&D settings have omniscient gods, for example.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Regarding the missing skellies: one is definitely Abydon, but I don't think there are enough elements to guess who the other two are. I will say that I think Woedica's body is in Ukaizo, however. One of the big skeletons in the artwork is shown right under what looks like a symbol of Woedica, the statue of what seems like a crowned lady cloaked in finery. It's hard to tell for certain as the statues and the indentations aren't perfectly aligned, though, and given the artwork doesn't really focus on that detail. There's also another thing that makes me think Woedica left behind her body with the other gods: she's the goddess that specifically berates Ondra for forcing the others to abandon their bodies. Considering her characterization, that would be a weird thing to get mad about. If anything, she should be happy that the other gods intentionally lowered themselves to her level, right?

Anyhow, setting aside the fact that this is a stab in the dark not backed by facts: IMO Wael and Rymrgand are two good candidates for the missing skeletons. They both seem like gods that would likely have either no bodies or very strange bodies, and would probably either dispose of them or hide them instead of just leaving them back to rot in Ukaizo.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

It's worth mentioning the stuff about the gods each having a function is more speculation than anything concrete. It makes sense, and certainly the gods are meant to enforce a certain vision of how things should be (as Thaos says, "you are living in the time of my people") but I don't think there's anything concrete about it

Note that there is a dialogue line from Eothas that would seem to disprove this theory. If you ask him why his plan this time will be different while confronting him in Ashen Maw, he explains: "We took on the mantles of gods from legends, and in so doing, made real what was false, crafted truth from fiction."

Now, that's just a single dialogue line, but it does seem to imply that the Engwithans based the current gods on their own pantheon, which still fits pretty well with the theme of the Engwithans as great colonizers, but makes them less calculating and machiavellian. It's not that they specifically engineered their gods to reflect their cultural values, but more that their cultural values were already reflected in their pantheon (as you would expect) and by making those legends real they essentially tried to apply them worldwide.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

in other words, Eothas knows that kith are fast approaching (or already past) the point where they can challenge the gods on more-or-less equal footing (via animancy and other soul-related things) and he decides he's going to do this big action that "looks" like it's leveling the playing field for kith (because they don't see the whole picture) but in reality kith are already almost at parity with the Gods and Eothas' gesture is just him trying to situate himself as "one of the good ones" prior to the coming confrontation

You all should be way more liberal with spoiler tags. This is a big RPG and I'm sure a lot of people haven't had the time to finish it yet.

Anyhow, I don't think this interpretation is supported by the game's text, especially considering Eothas specifically wants to be forgotten as penance for his actions. He really doesn't care about his legacy and he's sacrificing himself when he could very easily chill until the time comes. Granted, I think he's a dummy who's hurting a ton of people because he can't imagine a more long-term slow-burning solution, but nothing in the narrative suggests he has an ulterior motive.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

guys you need to spoiler that the central conflict to a new game involves entities taking action! i HATE knowing that things will HAPPEN in a game! what if i thought the central conflict was about INACTION and now you ruined it for me?

You're speculating about Eothas' motivations in a way that strongly suggests what his plan is and how it is perceived in-game. I really don't think putting spoiler tags around stuff is that big of a deal and I'm surprised you're taking it that badly.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

I had originally thought the gods being constructs was a core aspect of the setting from day one, but Eric Fenstermaker (wrote the main quest of the first game and Eder in both) did an interview where he said it was one of many story ideas bandied about and nobody was particularly enthusiastic about it. I guess this is why when the lead writer changed it got more or less dropped as a plot point (you can tell the Spindle Man about it and you get the option to tell Bearn in Eder's quest, those are the only times I saw it) but then why keep the Watcher of Caed Nua as the main character? All that makes them unique is the knowledge of the gods' origins. Have a new main character and remove the "II" from the title

That's not the impression I got from the interview. The team was overall a little tepid on the final story treatment, not on the origin of the gods specifically.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't really agree with that, mostly because I feel like abusing it would just have been grating. I'm perfectly fine with that aspect being referenced a few times (and honestly, if you think about how the chime in you constantly gets used for the God chats, it's still *quite* a few times).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Taear posted:

One thing I'm not clear on - are we sure that the Gods get power that way? It didn't feel that way, it felt like he wanted them to help because they needed mortals but not that they need souls. I don't think he's quite as explicit as you're saying.

Eothas explicitly says: "Both gods and mortals alike rely on the Wheel. We depend on it for the souls that give us power. Mortals depend on it for the lives of future generations. Breaking it will force all of us to face the truth."

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
He confirms that internally they do have a worldmap of Eora at this point.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Cirosan posted:

Getting back into my old endgame PoR save from release to play The White March before getting to the sequel, but the expansion is boring me to loving tears. So much trash combat, so little interesting plotting. How much will I miss out on if I skip over the whole expansion entirely and just import my save as-is? Is there anything really important from TWM that the sequel incorporates?

The White March Part II is really good and it's worth it (Part I is also good, but if you don't like the combat it's obviously going to be a chore), that said, there isn't a *ton* of reactivity for the expansion-specific stuff. It's mostly companion stuff.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 21, 2018

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's funny because for a while I would constantly hear about how PoE didn't allow you to roleplay as a bad person because everyone in your party is a goodie two-shoes.

That said, some of those character interpretations are really devil's advocate-y. Hard to complain about Aloth being a vigilante in the fragmented world of Eora.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

wiegieman posted:

I don't really get Rekke. He barely survives the storms and then decides to take up with these maniacs who pulled him out of the water instead of getting off at the first port.

Rekke decided to journey through that impassable storm in the first place, mind you, so it makes its own kind of sense.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Cirosan posted:

Is Resolve still used for dialogue mechanics in PoE2 like it was in 1? I'm a couple hours in (haven't even fixed the Defiant yet), but Resolve's old function of persuade/threaten/etc. seems to have been largely absorbed by the new skills of the same name. I haven't seen any dialogue checks for Resolve yet.

If it's not used for dialogue checks anymore, is there a way to respec my character's stats? I'd like to put some points into Perception instead, since Resolve isn't really useful for the Pure Class Wizard I'm running. The inn only lets you redo everything after 1st level, though.

There's a small number of Resolve options, but I wouldn't really pump it specifically for them.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
PoE1 includes more intentional gating and has a slightly longer main quest, but frankly, I think a short main quest which intersects with optional content is a better structure for a more open-ended game.

I guess I can understand why people who were hoping the sequel would keep a similar structure would be disappointed, though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

I might be misremembering, but the last game I really liked that made bronze tier, Prey, had it's president shitcanned/step down due to poor sales.

I'm not sure bronze is a good sign.

Budget and sales expectation for a title like Prey are different from something like Pillars.

For what it's worth, Bethesda still saw fit to invest in a Prey DLC too.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Obsidian was definitely hoping for more, but in between sales for PoE1 being a slow burner (it definitely didn't shoot that high early) and a good chunk of the budget coming from the Fig campaign, I don't see this as a total disaster.

If the sales stay at that level in a year or so, then yeah, I can see the PoE IP just kind of slowly being put to sleep, though then again, it's their only original IP, so they might want to give it another chance anyway.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly, considering the undertaking (there are a lot of speaking roles in the game), the full voice acting turned out really well. Some readings and voices are a little off, but that happens in any RPG, really.

Between this, Divinity: Original Sin 2 and even Fallout 4 having surprisingly good voice acting, it feels like we've entered into a new era where good voice acting is a common thing, not all that remarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Yea the disposition system as is seems like an afterthought and very much like it was plastered on rather than something natural. Not much would be lost if it was cut I feel. Not a big enough complain aside of a companion leaving you permanently if you have diplo/shady at one point though.

Without the disposition system Atsura would be a far lesser character and that alone justifies its inclusion IMO.

And yes, the disposition system was bugged at release. It was patched pretty quickly but wasn't retroactive, so the disposition gains made that way stayed that way.