Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hey just got the two games during the Halloween sale, any good guide on how to break them for an easy fun time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I went with Druid, but I've barely played so I can change it.

Should I put all stat points in one stat or spread them?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wish there was a mod to make PoE1 also turn-based.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Should I take all the worst choices to try and recreate the "Complete Failure" history choice of PoE2?

Edit: This one:

"You did everything wrong. You pledged to do the bidding of every god and then scattered the souls of the Hollowborn to a random location. You got every companion killed. You got the worst outcome for every quest. If there is a mistake you could have made while still resolving the Hollowborn Crisis, you made it. Not Suggested for New Players"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

How are u posted:

I mean, if that sounds fun to you then sure do it. Do whatever you like, it's a roleplaying game. Personally I don't often play characters like that, I don't like making my companions sad and want to try to do best for the imaginary world.

Same, except I'm probably gonna get Durance killed somehow.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wanna try this game but drat character creation is daunting. Any good guide?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hmm, I'd like to try a Cipher, maybe multiclass?

For the backstories, do I miss anything if I go with one of the premade options? Thinking of going with Fair and Balanced since you start the game talking with Berath.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gonna try for a Cipher Ascendant build.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Servetus posted:

Once you start playing, create an edited AI script for your main character so that they won't use their cipher powers without max focus. Or just switch their AI to auto attack only and micro manage them.

I went with Turn-Based, because rtwp sucks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

So I went Ascendant Cipher, Pale Elf, and played maybe an hour. Loving the reworked mechanics compared to PoE 1.

Furism posted:

RTWP doesn't intrinsically suck, it's just not for you. It's a different gameplay with different pros and cons than TB. Maybe you're very used to TB and that's why RTWP is off-putting for you?

Sorry but it might work for a game like Diablo but for a game like Pillars with a poo poo-ton of mechanics it doesn't. It made PoE 1 bad and I never finished it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Phosphine posted:

Generally, turn based is better for hard, important fights, because it's basically aggressive autopause. For easy low-stakes fights, it's worse, because it drags them out.

Rtwp is equally good at both types, as you are in control of the pausing.

Edit: I don't mean "better than rtwp", just, better compared to itself in other situations.

That is true, the Pathfidner games for all their flaws enable turning on or off turn-based mode at any time.

I think the problem is too many pointless filler battles, which is something you see in a lot of games.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If it gets too tedious I might restart in rtwp with a couple of Berath's blessing.

How are u posted:

:wrong:

It's the way the game was designed, built, and meant to be played. It's very good.

e: Perhaps you should say, instead, "I suck at real-time with pause, and turn-based is easier and more enjoyable for me".

Nah, rtwp sucks. The fatc that it makes the game faster because it's filled with pointless filler combat is a bad game design decision. Only good rwtp game I ever saw was Final Fantasy XII, and it was very unique in it's implementation.

If the game is great it's in spite of going rwtp, not because of it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

I used to like RTwP but then MonsieurChoc said turn-based was better, and now I'm not allowed to like RTwP anymore!

please, MonsieurChoc, say RTwP is good so I can like it again

Thank you for seeing wisdom.

WrightOfWay posted:

There's a console command to swap, no reason to restart.

Good to know!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Servetus posted:

Though Berath's blessings can be very fun and let you see more content.

I generally like turn-based combat, but I always stick to RtwP in Deadfire. There are too many bit is the combat system that don't work or are just not there in Turn-based. The tradeoffs around armor choice vanish for non spellcasters, barbarians get a huge nerf, poisons become all but useless, blowing an entire round to juggle weapons is for dire circumstances only. It just wasn't designed for turn-based.

That turn-based works at all is som incredible work, but I still prefer to play RtwP because the game works the way it does.

:(

I liked PoE 1 enough to play 12 hours despite the horrible combat, and PoE 2 looks so much better already. It really is a shame the game is held back by rtwp.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

How are u posted:

I think the people who bounce off of RtwP often forget the Pause portion of Real-time with Pause.

Turn the combat speed to its lowest setting, pause every few seconds to issue commands as the battle progresses, it could not be any simpler.

That's tedious as hell and not fun though. Like, you need to pause but having to pause all the time because they decided to make a complex combat system but also make it rtwp is not fun!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Meh I'm just complaining cause it's my one big pet peeve with the series.

Plenty of turn-based games have used atb bars and other stuff to have action speed. The recently released Live a Live does it, for instance.

Anyway what's the console command to switch to rwtp? Will it break my achievements? I know cheevos don't actually matter but part of my brain loves them anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Might as well restart with a better build. How do I make an Ascendant that goes Super Saiyan fast and nukes everything?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah I'm gonna give it a shot tonight after work.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

2house2fly posted:

settacticalmode disabled to turn off, settacticalmode roundbased to turn it back on. Won't affect cheevos at all as you don't need to activate cheats for it

Thanks!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There's plenty of reasons why rtwp is bad game design. :shrug:

Anyway I'm now three hours in and liking it. Got to the first town, recruited a new follower with a spoopy lantern, and got my rear end kicked by random looters in the drowned parts of town (I decided to come back later). I do wish there were mor edialogue options about being the Herald of Berath since I went for that option. This game is such an upgrade from 1, well done devs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Populon posted:

If there is ever a pillars 3 I want a third style of gameplay where it's rtwp but you can't actually give direct orders at all and have to rely entirely on the custom ai scripting

Marin Karin.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wait there's a tabletop rpg in the game files this loving rules!

Did the alpha they talk abou ever come out?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

rope kid posted:

We did release alpha rules and there's another release in progress but it will realistically need to wait until after Pentiment ships (November).

Also we're working with Russell Thurman/moo man on a Foundry VTT integration that is really good IMO. At this point he's integrated almost everything in the ruleset except for Headquarters management.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1428132979226730499

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1547701352448413697

Hot drat this rules.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I got my boat and an old friend from the first game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gonna second Encased and add Wasteland 3. If you like turn-based isometric post-apocalypse rpgs they're both great. Ok, Encased isn't techynically post-apocalyptic but it's got the feel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I love that Pathfinder lets you switch between turn-based and rtwp at any time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Somehow can't recruit Mirke after blowing up Benweth using his piano.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Do you definitely have the DLC installed? Dumb question maybe, but I'm not 100% sure how free DLCs work and if you have to claim and activate them manually or something. I remember it being a hassle when the game was first out, I could only claim a free DLC while the game was actually running

That's probably it. Gonna have to try and install them again lol.

I did love how I fell backwards into going for the most Looney Tunes ending to that quest possible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Went to Pirate Island and now I'm getting ganked by random thugs because I gave money to the barman to pay someone else's debt. Died like three times to this fight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Servetus posted:

That is a really tough fight. Rush their cipher fast if you can, and then just try to weather their attacks and heal enough to stay on your feet.

Or load an earlier save and come back later.

Ah, noted. I wish it was easier to dodge surprise hard fights.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

No Dignity posted:

No the storytelling was also very bad in fairness. Remember when they both sides'd an attempted genocide by having 50% of the mages be the psychopathic baby killing satanists the templars accused them of being?

The mage thing has been incredibly stupid since the first game, and getting stupider somehow every game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I started palying Tyranny instead. I'll come back to fun pirate adventures later.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm still liking Tyranny so far. :shrug:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I haven't finished chapter 1 yet, so maybe it goes off a cliff later. As for combat, it's Rtwp game. The best I can say is that I don't want to throw my computer through the window every fight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lol both PoE2 and Tyranny crashed on startup today.

After not really getting bugs before too.

Edit: It worked afterward but my lunch break was over. :shrug:

Thinking of maybe switching back to turn based, I tried rtwp but it still doesn't quite click for me. I end up letting the Ai do the thing and then panic clicking when things go wrong.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 25, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Surprisingly the cooldown nature of Tyranny makes it easier for my brain to handle.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wish there was a respec option since I'm not sure about my cipher ascended build anymore.

Oh whatevs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

You can respec at inns, but you can't change your class so if that's what you aren't liking you are out of luck.

Oh that's good. I like the class well enough.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I hate that I can't seem to be able to just focus and finish a game, it makes longer games like this take literal years to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Say what you will about the Outer World, it has a better UI than the Bethesda Fallouts.

Okay the line is below the floor but still.