Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Xerophyte posted:

There is technically Tyranny if you want a classless Pillars, but playing through over the last week I didn't get the impression that it supported playing a generalist well at all. I haven't read anything from someone who did not specialize their character.

Personally I've always appreciated having classes or some other firm direction for individual characters in party based games. Things feel muddled when you have 4-12 little mans to individually customize without any particular guidance from the game.

The skill system in Tyranny basically screws you over something fierce if you go very broad because the stuff you level through XP just seems to go completely randomly to poo poo you never use but have like 5 points in because you did something with companions for the sake of completionism. By the time I actually finished a full playthrough I was basically avoiding any companion training that wasn't 100% poo poo I wanted and I spent most of the intro desperately trying to avoid getting attacked by either ranged or melee until I could loving unlock the "only dodge/only parry" talent on their respective trees.

Also minor PoE1 question: would going heavy on Dex/Per/Res as a cipher work for a gish build without much might to back it up (worst case, I guess there's the RDC belt)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

AfricanBootyShine posted:

You can manually lock which skills do/don't get xp to avoid this problem. Just click on the skills in your character sheet.

Oh wow, thanks. I kinda wish I hadn't missed that on the interface.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
It occured to me that my current run of the first game is basically Ydwin and that got me wondering: if you import, can you switch to a multiclass in 2?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I finally got around to playing White March even though I had it for a long time and I'm actually kinda impressed at the improvement between it and the base game. Although the archmage section was a huge pain in the rear end and Llengrath's swamp was borderline unfun by the time I was done.

I'll probably replay because apparently I hosed up and locked myself out of one of the endings by waiting almost to the end of act 3 to finish part 2 and getting greedy with the White Forge and I do want at least one, maybe two proper import saves for when I get the second game. I'm not even sure whether I care enough to actually have the tempering ending but having the option to see it would be nice.

I've been wondering about 2 and equipment: is there gear that compares aesthetically to the Endless Path uniques (esp. Vengiatta Rugia, Vierina's Leaves, Hand & Key and the Adra plate). I would be a bit disappointed if there isn't at least roughly as good looking stuff.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

DuckKnight posted:

Hey, I just finished up White March as well. Overall I liked the themes, but fuuuck that ending argument. I was able to argue #2 and #3 but #1 didn't even give me a rebuttal for any of the options. It was literally "I did this" followed by "No" which seems kind of lame to not even be able to defend any of your actions, even if it leads to failure.

From what I got, the only way to get 1 if you want Aloth's "destroy the leaden key" ending is to not have joined the crucible knights, not have finished the animancy hearings (or got animancy banned), and freed the souls of the pargrumen dwarves

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

It's not that your actions are wrong, it's that they are inconsistent with the position you are trying to argue. If you didn't do any of the required stuff then it appears that you do not believe some knowledge should remain forgotten and in that case why are you even trying to argue the point in the first place?

To be fair when you have like all the argument in the other two categories, the eyeless do feel incredibly demanding with their "I'm not convinced yet" bullshit, but at the same time I admit not having the supposed golden ending be the most obvious option is actually kinda nice.

I'm honestly not certain there's a single non bittersweet ending for the March

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There isn't really a lot to discuss about the Principi, They're bad guys who don't pretend otherwise, who only act for personal gain. They come in mafia flavor or libertarian flavor. They're working as intended, but it's far more interesting to discuss the other factions who claim to have the best interests of the Deadfire at heart, but who do just as much hosed up poo poo.

tbf pirates being bad guy also has a lot of societal perspective there: the principi seem to do less hosed poo poo than the factions that think they're evil incarnate because their perspective of evil isn't kicking puppies, it's rejecting their royal writs (also Huana aristocracy who can't wait to jump in bed with one of the trade companies isn't too far from the India parallels given how opportunistic the indian aristocracy was irl).

Also regionally locked backgrounds in 1 was the most ridiculous poo poo and I don't care how the otherwise brilliant devs justify it.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 1, 2018

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Is Seer actually needed to make a good sword & gun cipher or would pure cipher focused heavily on combat still be mostly as good as it could be in the first game (like, is the pistol modal that needed when my POE1 strategy was usually to alpha strike one target with lead spitter and then switch to a saber or club for the next round)

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I wasn't sure I'd buy it at full price but I ended up breaking down and I'm just at Port Maje and already in love.

That said I wish I knew whether it was a game bug or a wayland issue but my inputs on linux are more or less limited to like 4 keys (tab, escape, control and enter; if I try to remap keys it doesn't detect any letter besides e and number besides 1) and I have to click for nearly everything and it's kinda annoying.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Devoted/Soul Blade seems like a potentially great combo but I'm afraid of picking a proficiency that's not going to work out (I was thinking rapier or saber) and of loving myself over by multiclassing (how vital is brutal backlash? in 1 you could basically tear apart barbs and drakes with it so I assume it's been nerfed to what the tooltip says rather than an infinited source of damage on anything with a fear aura?)

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

frajaq posted:

Devoted Greatsword pussy

But the one handed accuracy bonus

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The friendly fire from the pollaxes kinda sucks because halberds should 100% be more a thing for a golden age of piracy style world than half the weapons list.

On that note Serafen really should start with pollaxe proficiency considering he literally comes with one.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 5, 2018

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Digital Osmosis posted:

I'm not usually one to argue against player choice but the idea that Aloth can be a tank seems just wrong. Dude's a nerd. Nerds belong on the back line.

Aloth's punchability makes a good case for battlemage on its own

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
After a bit of playing and chronnic restartitis over the weekend; is Devoted's bonus really all that on a soulblade? I guess penetration might be worth it but critting already seems to overpenetrate incredibly hard and for harder targets Soul Annihilation seems to be the way to go

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Also not making everything explode into ever bigger numbers that don't mean anything because ultimately it's all relative helps having a better baseline.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Shreds being pure damage until the mid tiers makes them weirdly placed as the Soul Blade specialization, honestly, seeing how they compete for focus with annihilation.

I blindly picked Mind Wave as my first choice because it was an amazing backup spell in 1, but the apparent removal of its CC element basically makes it kinda crap.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 5, 2018

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

derra posted:

Proficiencies just let you use the modal. Estocs and Stillettos are both high pen piercing weapons. Even if you plan on using these weapons, you don't want to double up on the modals - they do the same thing. Make sure you have access to all 3 damage types and your party has access to mace, flail, club, morningstar, pike modals. Wand or hatchet are nice to have but not essential.

Also Devoted sucks, Black Jacket rules. Arms bearer is great.

Proficiency also lets you use a bunch of other side abilities that require a weapon you're proficient in, which I guess can be a big deal for some builds.

Also Black Jacket losing constant recovery scares me.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

derra posted:

Make sure the party covers those first, then you can start to dip.

And how do the other 4 people live without CR? : )

Joke's on you I take fighter multis whenever I can? (Point taken though)

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In all but the most specialized of applications (i.e., four sets of pistols or the like) switching weapons in combat is a crutch anyway. On low difficulties it's no biggie and on high difficulties you should know what weapon you need before the fight starts anyway.

On the other hand, I can see the appeal of opening up a fight with ranged weapons to soften (and not having to keep the extra weapons in your inventory, which is fiddlier than just setting up a hotkey for swaps).

Plus the idea of opening with a brace of pistols sounds extremely thematic.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The first game up to Deadfire's first pantheon encounter really hammers the feeling that the engwithans did such a thoroughly good job of creating a goddess of rulership who represents engwithan aristocratic ideals that even the other gods either hate her outright or barely tolerate her presence; like pretty much about Woedicca/Skaen as a pair feels like it's literally condensated Engwithan state ideology to a point where their place in the pantheon seems entirely superfluous from a mythical archetype point of view

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

chaosapiant posted:

I thought Thaos/Woedica’s soul shenanigans were after Eothas bodysnatched Waidwen, not before?

We already know from the end of 1 that the war wasn't the cause but at the same time the plan kicked off too soon right after the war for there to not be some connection I guess.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Ship question; I basically can't find a replacement bosun at any of the ports I've seen yet, is it really that rare? I figure the one you start with can be good enough?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
After trying Black Jacket a bit, I can see why it might be attractive but on a relatively squishier multi like Battlemage or Psyblade, I'm not fully convinced it doesn't give up too much for these two free talents, especially considering you can't make up for it by spending talents on recovery.

Most of the modals aren't that impressive so having someone who knows one more modal than everyone else just doesn't seem like a big deal.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I find most of the modals really good! I'm using them a lot in the 1.1 beta. The penetration modals dramatically increase your damage output when relevant and the debuff modals passively make the whole team better.

The only ones that are really weird that I've found are the rapier modal, since it doesn't stack with other accuracy boosts, and the great sword modal, which scales poorly since it's additive with other damage boosts.

The buckler modal also seems extremely situational. I guess it's geared towards riposte builds, but the developers are incredibly conservative with riposte, so it mostly seems to suck.

The rapier modal stacks with Aware and I think it's about it, which is a pity as rapiers making up for their low damage by being crit machines would be nice (as it stands I think just baseline saber damage almost always beats rapier in almost every situations even though the devs were nice enough to replaces 1's foils with proper loving 16th century rapiers).

Also I guess part of the thing is I'm playing without the beta 1.1 so a lot of things where the modals would be good is probably wholly trivilalized by my group comp.

And I really wish riposte was a thing because I want to be able to run with a Mindstalker warden, Eder and Ydwin as the riposte siblings but I only remember POE1 riposte and how loving garbage it was.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Some of the standard scripting is really weird and I can't really fathom why something like Mind Wave in the cipher scripts isn't set for aoe situations rather than as a spammed attack spell; most of the time it only shits up DPS compared to just auto attacking.

I guess I'm also being nostalgic about Dragon Age's AI tactics scripting there.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

GrandpaPants posted:

Rangers had their best abilities nerfed or taken away. I guess they can turn invisible now though?

Wasn't the POE1 ranger just bad until you got your hands on one of the ranged soulbound weapons and started being able to do ricocheting shots? I remember hating Sagani in combat pre-White March and having her basically never leave the party post.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
IMO the cipher MVPs as a multiclass are pretty much mostly the passives, which I guess is kinda sad for a caster but is something I can live with. The charms are still a close second though.

quote:

get a ton of bonus damage from pet-related talents

Redoing POE1 before getting 2, I was kind of amazed at just how much fully upgraded Itumaak tore through poo poo and I'm pretty sure he had a bigger share of party DPS than Sagani or anyone who wasn't a frontliner before she got twinned arrows and Stormcaller.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Are ranger pets too nerfed to make pet-focused ranger multis worthwhile in general though? I've been wanting to try seer and wildrhymer but this worries me.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't really disagree but it also means other things in the Cipher tree need to get bumped up because Int Afflictions are like 75% of the Cipher's gameplan right now. Rangers need a L8 or 9 ability that just shoots everything within range, which is similarly not that inspiring but who gives a poo poo it's useable. Did Evasive Attack get nerfed? Am I still starting every fight by using Evasive Attack [Bond value] times?

Fan of Blades (the one and only reason to main archer in Tyranny) making it on the ranger tree would be the best.

Also like, yes, gutting Cipher charms without giving anything back (like, idk, prone on mind wave or something) would really suck

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

They kinda made it hard to play a melee ranger right?

More like it has no real melee synergy and stalker doesn't really make melee ranger fun so much as it makes you codependent in an unfun way.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

The Doomhammer posted:

Glad to see someone made a mod to diversify unique weapon types a bit, hopefully it's not buggy as hell - https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/81?tab=description

(a bit salty there's not an extra rapier in there though, sick of my favourite snobbish aristocratic street-fighter PC having one viable weapon.)

I'm also a bit miffed about rapiers not getting pierce/slash (George Silver can burn in hell) to make up for their questionable damage, and their modal not being stackable.

And on top of the dearth of rapiers, one of which is supposedly nigh impossible to even get, there's two companions who main rapiers out of the box to begin with which is extra poo poo.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

derra posted:

Um, they're a fast accurate weapon. What questionable damage?

+5 accuracy isn't really going to make the difference most of the time, their speed didn't seem that much of an improvement over a saber, or at least not enough of an improvement IMO for being the one damage type that things have actual immunity to on the regular in this one.

The accuracy modal also gets overwritten by a ton of poo poo so it's a bit much to say they're much more accurate when every class with a generic accuracy boost can get the same out of literally any weapon.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Ravenfood posted:

How so? I thought buffs were supposed to stack in PoE2, but I also haven't looked into it.

They don't; Zealous Focus and Warrior stances get overwritten by Needle Strike. The only accuracy buff that stacks is Aware because it's +Per rather than +Accuracy.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

derra posted:

Mathematically this is really incorrect. 5 accuracy is the best of the weapon bonuses (unless, I suppose, it's a dual weapon type that penetrates on the other one, but you're better off switching anyway in that case for the higher pen or base damage), and fast weapons have the highest dps. Sure the modal isn't the best, but it's significantly better, say, if you're not a Cipher or partying with a priest, and most of the pure damage modals are meh (Battle Axe is the most interesting one IMO)

Rapiers, Clubs and Daggers are *good* *weapons*, it just depends what type of armor you're facing.

I'm guess it might one of the better inherent weapon bonuses, but at the same time, idk. I'm still going from calculations in the first game where the main benefit was closing the gap between medium accuracy and high accuracy classes past a certain point, since at higher levels the accuracy gain seemed to taper off where it went from single wielding rapier being a near guaranted crit at level 1 to just being a very minutely better crit rate past level 10 (and pierce immune enemies being among the first things you face has left me a bit sour on rapiers).

I guess I also don't understand the math justification for the lack of stacking between modals.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

precision posted:

by midgame of PoE my Paladin was a better tank than Eder, and i wasn't even using a shield

i seem to recall the thread was generally down on Paladins but i found being one to be super useful, specifically having Inspiring Triump, Lay on Hands, Healing Chain, and Sacred Immolation to pretty much entirely obviate the need for bringing Durance anywhere that wasn't a boss fight (and even then, I beat the WM2 boss without using more than like 3 potions)

Once they fixed Pallegina to get leveled bonuses equivalent to rep bonuses from a PC Paladin and an actual order she turned into a beast who could out-tank shield Eder while using a greatsword; Eder's main benefit over her was a higher engagement cap.

But yes, they started out lackluster in general.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I keep seeing a lot of people insisting that melee mindstalker is too squishy and I'm not entirely sure I get what makes them so. Like the biggest loss from psyblade seems to be about 1 hit point per level which doesn't seem super huge, and in return you get a bunch of rogue defensives which would seemingly make up for it? Would medium armor not fix the core of the problem?

I remember reading in the thread that people seemed to be extremely adamant about sticking every possible variant of rogue in light armor and then whining that they couldn't take hits while fighting in leather jackets or frock coats.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 7, 2018

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Avalerion posted:

Any idea when the patch goes out of beta?

Think I finally setled on a final party of Eder fighter/rogue, watcher monk, Xoti cleric, Teheku druid and Maia ranger/wizard for when it drops. Surprised myself as I wanted to stick with the poe1 guys initially, but Pallegina’s hardon for vtc and Aloth’s no fun allowed policy puts a nail in that.

The devs are still in testing for a few cosmetic and balance tweaks so I suspect maybe like next week? I don't think they've really given an ETA besides sometime early this month.

Also there's apparently a mod that adds resourcefulness to Aloth's likes and makes it so he doesn't have two contradictory preferences that should really have been set depending on his ending: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/78?tab=posts

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Pierce immunes are already a massive gently caress you to anyone running ranged weapons (especially guns; there'd be just as good a case for blackpowder guns to do crush damage given their calibers and subsonic speeds) so anything that turns them into just extra DR is probably good.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Randbrick posted:

It is pretty weird that arrows are more effective against skeletons than 17th century flintlock balls.

Real life 16th century: "Our arrows suck, we can't even dent scottish armor"
D&D and derivatives (notable exception being 2E): "Arrows are, like, basically 7.62 while guns mostly shoot soft plasticine every couple hours"

quote:

Would it break anything if guns were crush/pierce?

It would be an enhancement by far. Like the only bullshit ranged weapon even with that change would still be a bow.

Also I just find it extra funny that devs for fantasy RPGs still try to hold onto bows uber alles nonsense when depicting time periods where even the fearsome steppe archer nations couldn't trade their bows for guns fast enough.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Samuel Clemens posted:

It'd be a pretty big blow to Scepters and Rods, whose big claim to fame at the moment is their dual-damage type.

Longbows (which should actually be mostly obsolete against period medium+ armor) are also dual damage in Deadfire.