Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

rope kid posted:

This is the only one we finalized:

Loading screen reminds me of some Darkest Dungeon stuff. Love it. Your art guy (Kaz?) Can't remember his name right now. The dude who liked creating the death godlike. What did he think of your idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Pillars of Eternity: Tactics. A la Battle Bros. Kaz's pawns would look superb. Wouldn't sell though.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Is there an option to turn the news feed off on the main menu? Im not finding it.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

2house2fly posted:

There was once, but they removed it :thumbsup:

That's some versusevil poo poo right there.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

DrPop posted:

Based on the stuff with Arkemyr in-game and what's been said about it, I'm guessing it's got to do with the Circle of Archmages or whatever they're called.

There's an interesting aside in Bekarna's Folly. One of the interactions with the telescope leads to Wael talking to you and saying that you shouldn't look too hard at the stars/sky (I think with an air of "lest you see something you shouldn't," but I can't recall exactly). I wonder how things connected to that might play out.

I really do hope the dlc continues that storyline. With some concelhaut pet shenanigans. Also, question. Are there like only two or three grimoires with unique traits?

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I think you can upgrade sacred immolation to bring you back to life if you're single class.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I love the iso style games (they're my favorite) but if they made a 3rd person Witcher-like Pillars game I wouldn't turn it down. It probably would be missing paragraphs upon paragraphs of dialogue though which imo would suck.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

If there is going to be a third installment (I hope so) it should definitely be in the same engine.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

chaosapiant posted:

Agreed. I was hoping for a glut of more games with the "Powered by the PoE engine" label on them. We need more and even though the kickstarter bubble popped, I'll ever not want for more AD&D inspired isometric RPG games with RTwP combat. No turn based poo poo. No rotatable camera. I want to rest every five minutes, quick save every 30 seconds, and constantly find new and cool rare artifacts with neato descriptions.

We're on the exact same page here. Are Tyranny and Torment the only games outside of Pillars to use the Pillars engine? Those are all I can think of.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

He turned into loving Durance.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Was GM supposed to be the huge dialogue dungeon or was that something separate?

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Birds can sing.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I would love to have Hiravias, Serafen, Eder and Zahua just for the drug banter. But does anyone comment on drugs in 2 like they did in 1?

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Isn't Kana the nerd? I love his interjections while trying to finish up quests. Like the dialogue with Maerwald.

GrumpyGoesWest fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 20, 2019

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I think most of what makes combat in 2 feel so great is the sound design.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

They're shifting their efforts towards future projects. The team can't work on the same game forever.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

The past three games obsidian released have been drat near perfect compared to past games or games other companies are releasing today as far as bugs go.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

It's a shame one of the reasons for the long loading times are the maps. The art in pillars is so on point and half the reason the games appeal to me. You just can't beat those backgrounds. Reading online complaints about the loading times are valid but I was so enthralled with the art and world building I didn't even care. I try to play other iso RPGs and do but they just don't have that touch that Pillars has. I remember before the first game was out and looking at the concept art and thinking holy poo poo if this is the concept art the actual game is going to give me multiple eyegasms all the time. And yeah it does. The Pillars art team was so good.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Load times in II weren't bad or not noticeable enough that I forgot. The under the hood stuff I'm not too familiar with although I remember reading or watching info on it. And you're right, the way they blended everything together was indeed a feat. The team made the environments feel breathable and alive. I love how they were able to create a very stark contrast with color between I and II while somehow keeping a visual tone between the two intact. Loading up Pillars II after I got my box in mail and then playing it was very different than watching the preview videos. Somehow you can feel your spells landing and hits connecting. I love that and if anyone can explain to me how that is technically speaking, please do. It may have to do with the audio but I'm not sure. Anyways, it seems every year I'll play through the two games and fall in love with them again. I'll pick up on dialogue I've never noticed or I'll know what's coming and it's like watching Star Wars for the billionth time saying the lines with the characters. I hope the team that worked on the series feels a real sense of accomplishment and pride regardless of whatever results came after release. 20 years down the line these will certainly still hold up.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Furism posted:

Yes I didn't mean to imply that everything is due to the tech. The concept art is really good as well of course. The combination of the two is amazing.

I have both of the lore books in print in my, ah, little Watcher's room and I sometimes read them instead of being on my phone. I've spent a lot of, uh, cast time looking at the art. I always wondered how one decides which of the 5 equally amazing column designs (or wall or vase or mural or whatever) that an artist presents they'll pick for the game.

I'm the same way. I love the guide books. Hell, I've taken them with me on camping trips. I backed the card game too just so I could I have the items and monsters in a tangible card form. Might use them running my DND campaigns when we can finally play in person again! But yeah I can't think of anything I greatly disliked about the two games. When Pillars I hit I immediately connected with it. It made me feel like a teenager again playing Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale. So much of a new world to dive into. That first playthrough felt great and I'll never forget it.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

About to play deadfire again. Does the history creator include everything that could carry over from the first one or is there some cool poo poo that it won't include. I don't mind playing the first one again but I've played it to death.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Cool thanks. Off to sail the seas once again!

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Dick Burglar posted:

I don't think we know anything beyond what the reveal trailer shows, do we?

Edit: and the fact that rope kid is not attached, I guess, if you want to count that.

I've been wondering what ropekid has been up to lately. I want to think he's riding bikes around southern california and sampling exotic cheese. I chatted with him and adler at pax shortly before deadfire. Super nice dudes.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

This tabletop talk reminds me that Ive been wanting to run the Pillars ruleset with my dnd group. Is the most recent version the one from may '19? Just want to make sure I'd be running the latest write up. I really like the dice mechanics and how a player would create their character and how it revolves around a single space. Kinda ars magica-ish if I'm not mistaken.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Whoops wrong thread.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Oh man I could see so many pissed off fans exclaiming how they got ripped off by obsidian throwing promised sea monsters into the storybook encounters.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Doing my annual playthrough of Pillars and just finished Brave Derrin. No matter how many times I play it it seems to sadden me more than previous times. I hate Derrins dad but this time I had him get out of the bar and try to turn his poo poo around. Even though it's a task that takes like 10-20 minutes to play it's super heavy.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Dick Burglar posted:

I can never seem to get that to trigger. How do you get him to talk to you? I tried talking to him before I spoke to the wife, but still couldn't get it to work.

After telling Derrins mom the bad news I went to the brothel and his dad was still there getting wasted. If you have high resolve (16 I think) you can get him to rethink his life.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Doctor Nutt posted:

Yeah I rerolled a new poe1 char with high resolve because I ran across so many loving dialogue checks where resolve was the only way to proceed without having to do some boring rear end fetch or murder everyone. You get lots of good flavor dialogue from the other stats but resolve is seemingly one of the most useful.

Another thing I never triggered until this run: when you do the a call to court quest if you have the whispers of yenwood sword equipped one of the dudes you talk to in the ducal palace mentions it which I thought was pretty neat.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

rope kid posted:

Are you a bad enough Watcher to take the 12th and final spot???

Curious on the review process. I remember when the challenge was announced it was stated that saves are looked at and runs are watched. How long does it usually take these players to push through on their run and does the person reviewing the run watch it in it's entirety?

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I have him multiclassed into a witch using aoe abilities (ranged or melee) to get focus fast and then turning baddies onto my side and then debuffing others until he runs out of focus.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Hiravias owned in my last run. Specced him to be shock monster and wrecked everything. Plus he's funny as hell all the way to the end. If you get him, eder, zahua together it's non stop drug party.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Yeah zahua is in white March. Two other companions too.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I think its cool crpgs and other pc games are on console more often these days but holy poo poo is it a weird experience with the controls. Personally if I'm playing a top down or iso game I absolutely have to have a mouse but if I'm playing a 3rd person game I have to use a controller.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

But doesn't that have to do with the games being developed with console in mind from the very beginning?

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I'm interested to see what avowed will be like. If the writers do a really good job with fleshing out Eora even more then I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

The thing about DE is if you're an addict the game speaks to you in ways no other vidya could ever do. At least with me at least. The writers really nailed that sort of crisis. Other games transport you into worlds as a distraction. A good distraction but still, it is what it is. DE somehow forced me to look into a mirror. Almost like going to a museum and staring into the abyss of a Rothko painting or some poo poo. Will I replay DE? I've tried. I cannot do it again. But I'll hold that game deeply inside because it made me feel something I appreciated and maybe will never not want to feel again.