Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Urthor posted:

Are they going to nerf the Nature godlike racial passive. "When under an inspiration (might/int/dex) +2 power level"

So basically +2 power level always if you build your party half decently??? Isn't that just broken?

the ascendant cipher casts all powers at (iirc) +3 power level when in their special max focus state. also you can cast as many of your cipher powers as you want, of any level, during this period (which is over 20 seconds if you build your cipher right.) it doesnt take long to reach max focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
play as an ascendant cipher if you want to win the game david sirlin style.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Yeah vancian casting is so bad look how lovely and unfun BG2 turned out.

This but sincerely. I keep trying to play bg2 every other year and keep getting sick of the game once it becomes "Mage battle where you do the exact same list of buff stripping actions every loving fight." It doesn't help that there isn't one good companion in that game.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

GrandpaPants posted:

For me at least, the first game had a really slow, kinda uncompelling start to it, and Thaos was never actually a very compelling antagonist. Like the most interesting thing was the Engwithan machine that he started at the beginning of the game that disintegrated people, but you literally don't go back to that until like, mid-Act 2 when you find another one. Compare it to Irenicus in BG2 who starts the game kidnapping you, killing two of your old companions (Dynaheir and Khalid), and then kidnapping your friend/sister, who you now have to find and rescue, which is a simple enough drive to propel through the actual game.

Yeah, that classic drive to rescue your companions in bg2, right after you spend 20+ hours doing side quests because the game locks you out of athkathla for 30 hours once you start the crit path

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Any time people complain about pillars by comparing it to poo poo baldurs gate or infinity engine games were even worse about I have to say I don't buy it

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Even after the intro to planescape I got really bummed out by the promise of the setting contrasting with the fact that you just run through a fantasy city and demon world and some other generic environments for most of the game.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

MMF Freeway posted:

That guy was talking about a narrative hook though, and you brought up sidequests.

Yes, the initial narrative hook seems better in pillars to me. You are investigating a mystery and it makes sense to take side quests since anything could open up a lead to thaos. In baldurs gate 2 the game suggests you do one thing very strongly and is then designed for you to ignore that hook for 20 hours while you do unrelated poo poo or your characters will not be strong enough to find imoen.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Maybe if you had to raise 50k gold instead of 15.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
edit

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Pwnstar posted:

In the new Guidebook theres a legendary figure originally from the Dyrwood which is a sentient ooze who has now grown to gigantic size. Its got a ship wrapped around it and it swims around eating sea monsters. Wanna meet that ooze.

Ok this sounds freakin awesome

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Fungah! posted:

the gamestop reviews really funny because the whole things like great game, outstrips its excellent predecessor in every way, there are a handful of flaws and the dialogue can get long-winded but overall it's a triumph. 8/10

didn't give us customary games journalist bribe. -2 points.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Deakul posted:

I hope that the idiots that desperately wanted the game to be fully voice acted are happy, that seems to be a consistent negative for every review lol

Extremely spotty voice work where the actors can't even maintain a consistent accent half the time.

considering the game is voice acted by people who play dungeons and dragons for a living im not surprised

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Sulphagnist posted:

John Walker is a legendarily contrarian or plain terrible game critic, take your pick.

he is a stunning dolt

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

corn in the bible posted:

Ship combat is terrible.

It was really bad in the beta as well. Very little moment to moment feedback, very unclear positioning, takes an insanely long time, uses up a lot of expensive resources, basically as ill suited to my personality as a conflict resolution system in a game could possibly be and the exact opposite of the combat in the main game.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
honestly not entirely sure why ship combat isnt just another rtwp system where you move your little ship around and hit cannon/movement encounter powers.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
is it just me or are priests really beyond "rebalanced" and just not a great class now outside of wael bros w wizard spells? pl2 you get a choice for a single target prone trap or an aoe prone that also does damage? xoti gets a spell choice at power level 2 that, as far as i can tell, lets her summon the weapons she is already equipped with, and they're not any stronger than her real weapons?

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Xae posted:

Ship boarding loving sucks.

Half my party/crew dies as soon as the game unpauses because of lol alpha damage from a dozen rifles.

Gotta incentivize you to do the tedious ship combat!

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

canepazzo posted:

So, Xoti's lantern gathering of souls is going to end up being a straight evil thing and not "guiding them back to the wheel", right? No way that's being played straight.

Xoti is like my most hated RPG party member in years, in a good way. I love making her mad and saying gently caress off and stay away from my souls.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

corn in the bible posted:

Found the most important store

gonna have to get the super best friends cat

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

new phone who dis posted:

My tedious complaint is that none of the ranger pets match the setting of the archipelago and I want something like a crocodile or a spider or whatever.

That's actually a really good complaint.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

AngryBooch posted:

Found a new wizard spell in the unique grimoire sold in the Map Emporium. A summon reach weapon spell at level 4 that's loving wild thematically.

its loving badass and seems to be a callback to the very first piece of aloth art released for the first game.

ive been wanting to use this drat spell for years thanks rope kid

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Avalerion posted:

Not quite... Eder can hook up with Iselmyr!

If this is true Im satisfied with this game. Good job obsidian.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Zhulik posted:

Personally I just find ship combat shallow and tedious. As a result I just resolve all encounters by gunning for the enemy boat at full speed and then boarding once in range.

The boarding combat theme kicks rear end, by the way.

This is my issue, it's not just opaque, it doesn't just take forever, it's also really shallow and essentially a gear check

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Dex is necessary so you can activate haymaker modal or similar penetration modal and have it not do anything to your attack speed.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

lmao on the Obsidian site poll, Grieving Mother is the second-most favorite PoE companion, with thrice(!!!) the votes of Hiravias

I can't believe Chris Avellone would botnet attack this poll.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

I got that sword by guessing the puzzle, how are you "supposed" to solve it?

There are statues all around the dungeon with shields matching the correct symbols on the floor. You just have to read the epitaph about the brave, etc and click the shields that match those descriptors. They don't even have to be in order.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

CottonWolf posted:

I never found the book, but I reasoned it was the symbols on the champions shields, and it was. That gives you two of the three, but the third shield’s missing, so then you just try all the combinations for the third.

Edit: Also, game good if too easy. Bugs bad. Looking forward to starting again for my “real playthrough” with the hotfixes. Xoti is both loving insane and the absolute best.

The third shield is just in another location.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
gently caress critical role, give me the red letter media voice pack.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

pmchem posted:

I was looking for POE2 reviews/comments and found something so surprising I don't even know what to think. I was pondering buying POE2, but I usually wait for steam sales and all DLC to be released; I have a gaming backlog. So while looking at reviews I decided to go to rpgcodex because I've enjoyed some of their "top 50" style RPG lists and discussions in the past. Years ago.

I found their POE2 release discussion thread and starting reading around page 3. I don't feel like I can even link it in good faith because some comments are so ugly. The majority of posts aren't talking about quests, or bugs, or combat, or anything I usually associate with RPG reviews. Instead, the comments are about "SJW" writing, lesbian characters in game, minority characters in game, how many blacksmiths are women, bathhouse dicks, and random ethnic group comments. Their posts have tags like "cuck".

Just ... what happened to the nerd community? I can't even imagine comments like this being so pervasive in discussion of other big-name RPGs, or, maybe I've been too busy to pay attention? I mean, the writing in POE2 isn't so far off the norm that it actually affects story and immersion, right? That seems hard to believe.

I am probably going to just buy an obsidian edition of the game now because I know I'll play it eventually anyway and it feels like a show of support for the game against a toxic community.

thats just specifically the rpg codex. its a really hosed up shithole filled with nazis and its very telling when a game developer posts there and establishes friendly relationships with them.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
its supposed to be pc only but it's giving double level 1 skills to all of my characters. this might be because i have it set to manual leveling and they all join at lv1? who knows.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
all the people postin on rpg codex are 55 years old. its not ironic or irreverent they just really like memorabilia.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

GrandpaPants posted:

How do I set it so that they all join at level 1? I'd love to stop spending money on respecs.

i think its in the difficulty options for some reason.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

I don't envy Obsidian at this point. It has got to be incredibly frustrating that a vocal minority of your fans/backers are legitimately terrible people who have so externalized their own life failures that they have actually convinced themselves that something important to their identity has been "tainted" by inclusion and diversity. It's a fantasy game with dragons, but Eothas forbid half the party members be bisexual, THAT'S UNREALISTIC!

Ugh.

The only issue I have is that they all want to gently caress and start committed relationships within 2 hours of meeting.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
im pretty sure rope kid designed ship combat out of spite based on how he talks about the fan reaction to the stronghold

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

Agreed. I think reputation progression either needs to slow down in general, or at least the threshold for the player getting a reputation for something should be higher. It's both a problem from a gameplay perspective (good luck keeping your reputations clean for Priests and Paladins) and not particularly believable in-universe (really, I say a couple shady things to a couple of nobodies in random places on the archipelago and suddenly everyone knows I'm into skullduggery? Are they all Ciphers who can read my soul or some poo poo?).

I slightly suspect that this is related to the same bug that makes companion relationships progress too quickly, though. It wouldn't surprise me if the speed that you gain reputation isn't completely intentional.

Extremely agreed.

I've been kicking around an idea for an RPG for a while that takes place entirely in one city and mostly has to do with solving a series of murders. I have no game-making talent so it'll either be a mod for an existing game or I'll just run it as a tabletop game, but I love smaller-scope games. That's also why I was so disappointed in Dragon Age II: it went for a small scope (at first) set over a decade of in-game time, and I thought that was cool as hell, but the execution was utterly botched.

You should play age of decadence.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Where do I find Fangs and Mother of Pearl?

I'm finding it equally enjoyable and frustrating how realised some of the character's motivations are. Pallegina was one of my favorites in the first game, but in the second I find her to be a nationalistic tool. It's like instead of re-evaluating her allegiances after the events of the first game, she doubles down on her devotion to the ducs.

I'm confused by this in my game especially after her plot in this worldstate involved her disobeying the ducs of her own free will and joining an entirely different paladin order.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

rope kid posted:

She will never support you if you side with the RDC. She can be convinced to support you if you side with the Huana, Principi, or go solo. However, she will never support you if you side with someone other than the VTC and got her banished in the first game.

Yeah this is dumb, sorry. Getting her banished and having her join an entirely different order shouldn't make her even more fanatically devoted to the vtc and the ducs bels.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

One weird trick to be a better 5 ducs paladin: disobey your orders of your own free will, leave the order, join a different one, somehow keep all your powers and your bosses still work with you.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
This is my special goldpact paladin, they actually get stronger when they go back on contracts and do things for free and get kicked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Coldforge posted:

I think so. All the companion quests are unsatisfying and kinda suck.

tfw you remember how rope kid talked about how much more involved every companion was in this game and it turns out that was all in reference to reactive dialogue about who they want to gently caress, and thats broken