Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rope kid posted:

Inverted difficulty is pretty common - I wouldn't say inescapable, but the general structure lends itself to them - in RPGs that focus on vertical progression. The mathematical floor for any stat starts at a baseline and delta between it and a potential max widens as the game progresses.

For some players this is "the fun" of RPGs. Breaking the math over their knee is the goal.

BG2 emphasized hard counters over vertical progression because AD&D 2nd Ed's math falls off a cliff after the low teen levels.

there is more to math than addition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it really doesnt require anything more than polynomial linear operations, tho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a sigmoidal function, usually, but unironically yes, pretty much

can't do it by hand, but who cares

"drat all this poo poo is fuckin up because we cant model diminishing returns"

could also use a logarithm

e: ... square roots

just gotta have any ol sublinearity, your choicecfor the slope

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 16, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it is indeed the player who cant math so good

which i'll believe. but i get annoyed at dealing with the terrible linearity of adnd and 3ed like systems in games from it. 3ed and 3.5ed are basically only playable itself from levels 5-13ish

every edition of dnd has had experience curves try to go O(n^2), but they just do it with a table and with inconsistent adjustments to keep stuff round numbers, so its not like peeps arbitrarily cannot take a single square

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 16, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it is pretty much that

you have very solid writing as you win everything and theres like 5 speech skills in disguise but yeah

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
chanters and ciphers as far as the eye can see, basically, lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they made advantage idempotent so it rules like other idempotent poo poo in games. they did a math

make your dealio idempotent today

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nonlinearity: its good

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tyranny is by obsidian and is classless. too bad mages dump on anything nonmage and theres like 4 enemy types

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it does but its really really lengthy. pick up the mod that halves all hit point counts

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i like to do rtwp but w automatic pause every 3 secs. actually works great

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Raygereio posted:

Durance was easily the worst thing in PoE1.:colbert:

avellone was one of the best writers in videogames for decades cuz he wrote little shits real good. durance, the evil incarnation in planescape...

too bad he did it by bein a lil poo poo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

How are u posted:

I didn't use GM the first time I played through Pillars because she seemed so flat, uninteresting, and pretentious somehow all at the same time. On my second playthrough I deliberately took her in order to see what I'd missed.

Wish I hadn't!!

wow, the sex pest can write a misogynist real good and cant write women worth poo poo, huh

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
deadfire is a 80 hour game on turnbased and like a 30 hour game on rtwp i swear to god

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
avoiding andor dealin w safeguard was like 90% of the encounter (both encounters really) except on potd for me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its why rope kids singin

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
he was also dead in all of poe1, so who cares

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it kinda fails DMing 101: dont have an npc do all the cool poo poo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i did a tb run and a rtwp run. tb took 70 hours rtwp took 40

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Digital Osmosis posted:

I love turn-based to death and even disagree with the trash fights being a slog (excepting like, that waves of undead fight) but: yes, attack speed is now only useful for casters and that sucks and also an AI script would be quite nice. It is actually really important for casters, though. Probably more than it was in RTwP mode.

The attack speed thing is the major qualifier I bring up every time I say "TB is designed incredibly well!" It's a whole fairly important system that the mode just can't really engage with. I don't think I'll go back to playing RTwP ever again but if you honestly don't have a preference I'd recommend RTwP for that reason. Still I think it's a small enough difference (favor different builds and you're good) that if you even lean turn-based I say go for it. It just sucks that, you know, there's a range of options that you're going to get way less use out of-- especially considering the game's incredibly good otherwise at having edge cases and odd builds where previously pointless things can suddenly become useful.

yeah, the fight in the northeast corner of the old city dungeon with the spawning undead took 1 hour of those 70 hours, like christ

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i straight up lost the first time because i had killed 3 zombies ny the time all of the like 30 zombies had spawned. i had to respect two chars specifically for zombiekilling

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
forgotten sanctum starts itself for you w magic nicholas bourbaki flyin in on a dragon

e: now that i think about it, it's really magic ergodic nicholas bourbaki

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 5, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

OK I'm turning turn based off with the console, this is just a loving slog and I find myself actively avoiding combat. Neat for a couple of devs' passion project and I'll turn it back on for big fights/bosses but there's still a bit too much in the way of trash combat for it normally, fights just take forever. I spent about an hour fighting some skeletons in some random crypt only to get wiped by a... death guard or something?

halving hp counts mod

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats renting games for you then

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they're makin avowed, tho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, you cant expect equal quality sequels to stuff from a game company because the turnover is always insane and its a brutal job to determine the causes of quality software

(no offense)

except japanese companies but life employment has its own different problems

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 12, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jay Rust posted:

Idk if old d&d even had builds

if you cant do punpun is it even a game? :colbert:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the base problems w d20 is its linearity so that wouldnt be solved by a different measure. linearity isnt fun! its not surprising! that nakes it way easier for the game designer to deal with and for the player to understand but boring

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its more the terrifying realization that big bang software releases are a complete luck of the draw and you can draw badly

the attributable complete fuckup is the switching to the other crowdfunding thing, iirc. but choosing crowdfunding at all for the first game was the risk that allowed them to make the first poe at all so you win some you lose some

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
pathfinder is 5% of all games on roll20, this makes it the third most popular rpg system or whereabouts

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, shadowrun got a modern game and two expansion packs, paranoia got a modern game, its well within possibility of a materially successful crpg by crpg standards and it's not an obscure p&p rpg by p&p rpg standards. its basically just dnd 3.75 but they dont have the license for mind flayers and beholders

now, nobilis would be drat annoyin to do in a crpg

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
obsidian worked w 4 separate publishers previously who ostensibly handled marketing but did a very variable job. which, as a corporate thing, will pretty naturally lead to an atrophied marketing department within obsidian itself

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
p&p rpg, the progenitor, started with dnd, which was a copy of skirmish rules for chainmail with rp on top, not from rping with rules on top. and it fed back into wargaming - warhammer was built to sell dnd miniatures that weren't selling, with slann of the lizardmen being a flavorful retelling of slaad the CN creatures who do weird poo poo w their eggs for example. tactical poo poo was always a material part of everything

i think if you showed like disco elysium or (probably) rope kids' early-modern-william-of-baskerville: the video game to gygax he would prolly imagine it has deeper roots in king's quest and that sorta thing than the 2nd ed planescape dnd game that they actually were inspired by

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 7, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i feel like the default setting should be pause every few seconds. all the rtwp games have that option and its a great middle ground

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the ultimate enables magrans challenge, which disables pausing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Lt. Danger posted:

this is an old disagreement I've had for a long time, but "spiritual successor" is a broader range than you seem to think. Disco Elysium is a spiritual successor to Planescape Torment and the only directly identical features are "stat arrays affect dialogue" and "fixed top-down perspective on drawn maps". there was a lot more room to manoeuvre than you suggest; Obsidian didn't have to carry over every feature of Baldur's Gate to create a successor to the series

the most important inheritance from pst to de was "writing isnt poo poo"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hollowborn is basically the iron crisis with the serial numbers filed off. s/bhaalspawn/watcher/g, etc etc

it was derivative and something was missed in how to get the audience to care a lot

i think one thing you could attribute it to is theres no gorion copy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
and its easy to see how that one happened because obsidians previous successes all were with known ips or as sequels or stuff. its kotor 2, not kotor 1, its fo: nv, not fo 1, its south park the game, not some random comedy game

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
both blade runners failed at the box office. they are works of art but they failed to pay the bills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you gotta make some zombies to make an omelette, you know

also gottasend that caed nua peep to entropy hell for 5 mins unfortunately