Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Skwirl posted:

Does anyone remember when Tutu or BGT (I can't remember which was first) first came out in a mostly playable form?

Hmm, I definitely remember learning about tutu as I was graduating high school - 2005/2006? I think it was out by then already.

Edit - And BGT definitely was after.

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Been playing BG Trilogy on Switch and the controls are pretty solid actually.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
It will be interesting to get to interact with the gods from the perspective of a character who doesn't know that they are artificial

I feel like that colors a huge amount of the Watcher's dialogue options in 2. Though Avowed will probably be more like Pillars 1 where contact with them is pretty short.

e:

Dick Burglar posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure the gods would really 'hold up' in 3D. I have a feeling they'd seem too mundane.

Eh, if you keep the same perspective of them being dozens of time your size and most of them being weird looking monster things, that could be pretty cool.

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 18, 2021

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I love me some non-standard Game Overs.

Also the not-so-subtle implication that Ondra is trying very hard to kill you all for knowing about the Eyeless so that, once you solve her problem for her, they go back to being completely unknown.

My favorite ways to get around it -

-Put on the Diver's Helmet
-Have a con score of 20+
-Free the spirits of the forge at the end of WM1, they will come rescue you as Not-Sahaugin

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
This is why you should play the PC version and console command the Turn Based mode off for trash fights, then back on for legit ones.

I really really like the TB mode.

BurningBeard posted:

1. Can you get away with playing this having not played the first? These are long rear end games, and I’m not into RTWP and also have lovely eyes so the lack of voice acting in the first put me right off it. But am I gonna need to get a summary to know what’s up in 2?
Any other general poo poo someone ought to know going into the game fresh? TIA.

Read the plot summary as well
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillars_of_Eternity

General stuff off the top of my head -
-Spellcasters tend to be better at crowd control/buffs/debuffs than direct damage, but it varies based on which one in particular
-I wouldn't recommend multiclassing for a first time player. There's a lot of weird class interactions that might be overwhelming. If you do, make sure they're both melee/non magic classes as they're a bit simpler in terms of abilities and whatnot
-Difficulty is set when you log onto a map, changing it in the middle won't do anything for a tough fight. Make lots of saves BEFORE you go to an area rather than when you first arrive in case things kick your rear end
-There is some scaling in this game but several places/quests might be too high for you. You'll see a strike-through with skulls (potentially red ones), if you see those that means unless you're down for a rough fight you should head elsewhere. Quests are marked with these as well to let you know what to expect with enemies
-NPCs are around you can recruit to (wo)man your ship. Be on the lookout for them
-Speaking of ships, level up your companions who aren't in your main party regularly. Why? Because when you get into ship-to-ship combat ALL of your crew will join you in the battle. If they're low level they will not be very useful
-Ship combat: just skip straight to boarding and don't bother with anything else. Obsidian tried to make it cool and drat they failed completely.
-Get to know all of the 4 main factions of the game a bit. The Point of No Return for each is quite far along.
-Be careful who you bring to see each faction's NPCs. If you bring a companion who hates the Vailian Trading Company to meet with VTC folks, they will poo poo talk them right in front of you and the faction NPCs might get mad at you for bringing that rear end in a top hat along.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Have fun!

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 25, 2021

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Personally I'll say that despite two playthroughs before Turn-Based, I didn't really GET how Pen/DR/resists/etc really worked until Turn Based mode made me look at every single character's actions + results and I went "Hey, why does this person do so little damage when their weapons say they should be about even with the other characters who are doing more?" and I dug into the combat window.

In RTWP mode I feel like I had to pay attention to the battle as a whole all at once, which I don't think combines well with a combat system that has so many layers. Or maybe on Veteran difficulty its just not as necessary to pay attention to it all, so I didn't?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I'm sure the studios can talk to each other to time releases but honestly - I think the gaming market would absolutely eat up a giant "Elder Scrolls Style" open world RPG every 2/3 years. 5 years between Fallouts/ES is not necessary to build hype/sales.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't think there's anything that compares to That One Dialogue Option in PoE1 but you do get in the occasional sweet dunk.

I've 260 hours in Pillars 1 and I don't know what this is in reference to!

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Hahaha that's awesome, thanks guys

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Tekehu (Periki's Overlook in Neketaka) and Serafan (you'll meet him once you leave Port Maje, the starting island) are necessary for Good Vibes~~~ playthroughs.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

I remember going into the game and wondering "Why am I not just going to side with the natives here? How is this going to be a question?"

Then I found out they were totally cool with enslaving their allies if it meant some sweet, sweet magic powers and I got that rush of Obisidian-faction goodness where everyone is at least a medium-level piece of poo poo.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
It's not so much "spongy", more that the game was designed with RTWP encounter speed in mind. There are a lot of "trash" fights that are meant to use up a bit of resources but ultimately are not the consequential. In RTWP mode, you can play those out in real time and in 15~ seconds you're on your way. That same fight in Turn Based is at least a minute or two as you and the enemies move only one at a time.

On PC I recommend just using the console command to disable/enable it for important fights or as a fight winds down and you know you'll win but that's a bit fiddly.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Y'all haven't lived until you've Spin-kicked an enemy 20ft backwards as an Elk-lycanthrope. You just haven't.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Doom2020! posted:

Wish we could have at least one more slot for companions as five total guys is not enough. Eder and Xoti are always coming along if I have a choice (since tie to Eothas) but I like all of the companions. Hate having to choose and would kill for just one more slot.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/288?tab=posts

Balancing is a bit tougher with 6 but it seems to still work

While you're in the modding mood I recommend stopping by here as well -
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/417?tab=posts

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

wologar posted:

I want to play the duology as a priest of Eothas. I assumed they would have a lot of extra interactions, but apparently they don't get many and priests of Magram get more.

Has anyone here played as a priest of Eothas and is it worth a separate playthrough?

My first playthrough of 2 was that - unless you want to play as someone who is 100% behind what Eothas is doing, no I do not recommend it at all. I was hoping I'd get some great conflict scenes (how could the arguably only decent-hearted god kill so many innocent people?) but almost all of the Eothas dialogue options are THIS IS TOTALLY GREAT AND IM SURE IT'LL BE ALL WORTHWHILE!! Which that can certainly be an interesting character to play - just not at all what I was hoping for.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Doom2020! posted:

Hah. All this Durance talk and then this. I am actually glad this got spoiled for me and not mad as .... I never get to try the kind hearted appeal to Eothas? I was hoping for a moment where I tried to talk him out of wiping the slate clean or whatever his plan is that is killing most, if not all, of the planet. I was hoping for well written appeals as I plead to a deity I truly believe in. I expected a decent chance of failure, of course, and then I end up like Durance in the first game. Broken and with the blood of Eothas on my hands. Do I never get that? Might sound weird as I don't mind the violent end between a Priest of Eothas (my first PoE character) and his god but I want it to be high drama, taking that whole "what we think the gods are vs what they actually are" theme from PoE1 up a notch. Granted partly because I want to meet Durance in PoE3 as God Slaying bros. I don't know the ending of PoE2 but I remember Durance in the first game and I felt like I was looking into my future and I HATED that as he was such a broken douche. Broken, used then discarded by his gods.

My playthrough was on release - and I'm told since then patches have added a lot to the story to make the end clearer / more reactive so they may have added more to that? But there are no Priest specific dialogue for that. At least that I recall?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
The keep itself is probably fine at 3,but Raedrics fight is pretty tough, I'd say level 4 at least with 5 people.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

The gods ARE real

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

queeb posted:

whats a good cipher build? playing through on game-pass now with all the dlc and i wanna do pallagena, eder, aloth and maia, and then myself as a cipher seems to fit in nicely. is single class best to get the endgame spells?

If you multiclass you can't get Power 8/9 skills, so yeah if you want the big guns you'll need to stay single-class Cipher.

I've only played Goldpact Knight/Soulblade and it was awesome. Both from RP and in combat.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

bob dobbs is dead posted:

he was also dead in all of poe1, so who cares

Yeah I imagine the God of Rebirths is hard to put down for good.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
In my one finished TB game I made VERY liberal use of the console command to swap back and forth between TB and Real time. If the enemies were all much weaker than me or the fight was clearly wrapping up I would turn off turn based and mop up, then turn it back on after the fight was over.

I did not notice any bugs or glitches

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
While I would prefer a POE3 I am glad at least the universe is continuing with Avowed - hopefully with its success and the success of Wasteland 3 Obsidian will want to take another crack of Pillars proper in the future.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I feel bad for folks who didn't grow up rereading the "Ecology" sections of the D&D monster manual over and over again. The extraneous world building details were clearly meant for folks like me and I ate that poo poo up.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Speaking of dialog options - everyone should do an Aumaua/Deadfire playthrough as there are a million reactions to that. It changes the whole context of the game as you are basically "coming home" after Pillars 1.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Really my only beef at all with White March is how awkwardly it fits into the game. It really should've just been post-game content or installing it changes the level curves automatically of the other chapters.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Mans posted:

What happens in PoE 2 if on you decide to ignore the eyeless on the first game and get the "you got your rear end kicked by eyeless" ending? (PoE 1 ending decisions)

I'm not sure you can import that save?

doesn't the world basically end as the eyeless destroy everything to keep themselves hidden?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
There's a good number of Pillars flaws (and strengths too) that you can point to them and say "Those are only there because Obsidian promised an Infinity Engine successor and you need those things to be a proper successor and not because anyone thought it was a genuinely good idea", attributes being what they are is just the first one you run into lol

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Dick Burglar posted:

God damnit. I was trying to decide which class I wanted to multi with a chanter (probably monk), but now I'm wanting to play a druid instead (probably also multi'd with monk). I can never stick to one character design for long. :saddowns:

Give it a little while longer and I'll cycle around to wanting to play a ranger or a paladin or something else altogether :sigh:

I've done that character and spin-kicking enemies as a WereStag takes a shockingly long time to get old.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Eason the Fifth posted:

Calling this Fresco Elysium and no one can stop me

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I didn't love it and I really want to love it. I'll wait for a proper gameplay chunk video though before I get legit concerned

e

No Dignity posted:

That aumaua guy is jerking the PC off through the whole trailer, drat you're so strong and cool and have a power no one has ever seen before but will you use it to save us... or kill us??

Yeah the lines there were garbage. Yes, we get it, this game will have choices and consequences. Please stop with the garbage trailer writing

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I think they've just moved the timeline and its set closer to Pillars 1 and 2. Maybe the plague is caused by what Eothas did?

That's a lot of lore to hit the player with over the face in one go though

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Did not think I was going to walk into this when checking in on the Pillars 2 thread

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

rope kid posted:

...and PoE3 is nonexistent/irrelevant.

P.S. just started my Island Aumaua - Deadfire playthrough where I piss off every faction because I only stan for the roparu

aka I'm doing it for the working class. I still haven't done the DLC!

How will I fit this into my BG3 2nd playthrough, Starfield in 2 weeks, Cyberpunk in 6 weeks and an 18 month old baby to take care of who knows man

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I am playing Turn Based with a 'new' mod that makes my spells go off immediately - the turn delay was incredibly unsatisfying and annoying. It may however have swung things a bit too much my way though and I may need to bump it to Path of the Damned...

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Shamelessly stolen from reddit, thanks for catching this ThinWhiteDuke

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/18gz4b3/phil_spencer_dumped_100_hours_into_pillars_this/

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fm0qenrqnzx5c1.jpeg

Phil Spencer put 125~ hours into Pillars of Eternity this year

itshappeningboysandgirls.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Strongly debating another Pillars 1 playthrough - I want to do both before Avowed but with the recent patch I feel like maybe 1 will get some new features soon, maybe announced today..?

Even if it's something small like a few new subclasses that'd be neat