Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
dead fire is easily top 3 rpg of all time for me, something about poe1’s gameplay just never landed right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I didn't grow up playing BG at all (I tried to on the GBA, which.. let me tell you, if there's a way to poison Baldur's Gate, I guess), and so PoE1 was really my first infinity engine game. And yeah, that sort of engine sucked. A lot better in PoE2.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

durance's ending where he swears he'll kill Magran is basically his happy ending imo

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

wologar posted:

I never got the "gods are fake" stuff. They're clearly real. What does it matter how they came to be? I know it would be important for many people, but would it really shake the foundations of the world?

it not only ruins their legitimacy, it also immediately raises "well, if they're only gods because they were Super Powerful Magic Wizards, i can just become a super powerful magic wizard and become a god myself"

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Eason the Fifth posted:

Eothas Did Nothing Wrong

:yeah:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i think this analogy has rapidly collapsed

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ive been wondering if an all gunpowder party is possible.

honestly that's my whole thought there. does anyone know how that could even work?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Furism posted:

Congrats on completing the best cRPG of the last decade! For Deadfire, all DLCs are great. Some are better than the base story. Don't do them before the recommended level, they generally are a step up in terms of difficulty. Don't do them too late either, because you get some Cool poo poo and it's better if you can use it for a little bit longer.

well, 2nd best after Pillars 2

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

doing the deadfire playthrough I mentioned in here a bit ago, and i have to say that a lot of the .. hopelessness is kind of a bummer this time around. Knowing that the archipelago is picking between colonial imperialism or brutal caste system, AT BEST, really sprays water on the good you're trying to do. But I guess that's why it's so important you do it eh

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

How are u posted:

Just like in the real world there is no One Good Way or One Right Choice to make. Everything has its ups and downs, and no matter what you do some people are going to end up suffering to some degree.

i dont want the game to simplify the moral problems and issues, but i dont think "realism" is why lol

Vermain posted:

Deadfire, much like New Vegas, takes a historical materialist view of its fantasy worlds in acknowledging that societies are driven by significant inertia that is difficult to change on a whim, and that the underlying material conditions have a far more outsized influence on how the world shifts than the influence of any one individual. It's only hopeless if the decision made lasts eternally in stasis, but one of the game's very definitive driving themes is that things that were do not always have to be, even if change is far beyond the horizon of our single lifetimes.

yeah tbh there was a post about historical materialism as it relates to the progress of Huana society way earlier in the thread that has given me a lot to think about. at first I thought it was dumb to apply that view to this video game made by a ropekid, but i've realized it went a long way to understanding the unique place of the archipelago in Eora.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

the problem is really just there's nothing appealing about RDC or VTC, so it feels much much more like yeah, you're doing the proper anti-imperialist thing, but only because it's the only (and still really bad) option

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

How are u posted:

There's plenty appealing about the RDC and VTC. Just role-play in the role-playing game.

part of roleplaying is being able to empathize and understand who you are roleplaying as!!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Terrible Opinions posted:

Really the one I have the most trouble envisioning anyone siding with is the RDC unless there is enormous amount of changed dialogue for an Island Aumaua to allow you to play a native Rauatai patriot. As is they are both exploitative but also offer no buy-in for the player or other outsiders to join. Which is true to real life nationalist empires, just means it's an option I can't really see picking.

it's interesting because the Watcher is very uniquely not tied to the same systems that would have put most other people in the Deadfire, so they can see things more objectively, which is part of what makes two of the options seemingly completely unjustifiable

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ilitarist posted:

People who suffer from a lack of roleplaying freedom in Bethesda games, namely the inability to kill everyone including children, create mods allowing them to do so. Perhaps PoE2 needs a mod where you solve everyone's issues, talk it out with Eothas and Eora becomes a paradise

🙄 I’m not talking about poo poo like that or anything. I think folks are conflating my feeling of hopelessness for the future of Eora with me wanting a magic wand to solve all its problems.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I think it’s hard to justify a PoE3 tying closely into PoE2’s story like the above with how badly PoE2 sold, regrettably

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

moot the hopple posted:

Avowed might do well enough to spark more interest and demand for more Eora games. Hopefully the isometric party RPG's won't get entirely shunted for first person RPG's fare a la the Fallout series.

I don't think Eora won't be the setting of future games at all, I just think continuing the same character ala PoE1->2 is gonna be tough to justify.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I like to shoot the RDC and the VTC both, with my gun,,,

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i dont end up caring about rtwp and turnbased as much as i thought i did when i first started. the game offers enough options to set autopause for that it's nbd, and worst case you can even slow down time passing. it's fine.

i also like to use brain powers to make my enemies explode :devil:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i really have no idea how to play rogues. brought Ydwin along for a bit of Beast of Winter action and she just gets eaten up each time I try to Escape her behind the lines, and the front line often doesnt have room for her just to chill next to Eder and Pallegina

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

yeah, I have her specced as a Mindstalker and went for damage and crowd control mostly. I guess I really figured Rogues were supposed to be melee, but blunderbusses still get sneak attack etc. bonuses?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I don’t know if Peak Soul is actually an issue in Eora, it is mentioned souls get stronger over a kith’s lifetime, especially due to big achievements or what have you, so I think there’s natural ways to maintain Enough soul energy there.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

yeah giving ydwin the unique blunderbusses turned her into a complete badass wtf???

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

KPC_Mammon posted:

I played both pathfinder games on core difficulty with single class characters. The need to do janky bullshit is vastly overstated.

yeah same. just do wotr though, kingmaker isn't really fun and wotr needs a ton of mods to be great (though it does shine when you push it there)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

nah i did great with a monk

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

yeah i'll clarify that i think owlcat didnt design it super well at all, but this idea that u need special pathfinder minmax mastery to handle Core or w/e is just dumb. just make sensible builds without dips or w/e and you'll do great. pick up some prestige classes on the way who cares.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Lady Radia posted:

yeah i'll clarify that i think owlcat didnt design it super well at all, but this idea that u need special pathfinder minmax mastery to handle Core or w/e is just dumb. just make sensible builds without dips or w/e and you'll do great. pick up some prestige classes on the way who cares.

and to bring it back on topic: it owns that i accidentally made a friend do a 20-resolve monk build in poe1 and it's totally viable throughout the game bc the game can handle specialized, unnatural builds.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

money is important in pillars 2 until around level 18ish when you start getting exceptional/superb stuff to sell, so i think it's only not important for a subset of players (Yarrr)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Agree pre-buffing is usually bad design. Make them toggles that cost the resources, make it so I hit a button that automates turning it on, whatever. But needing to waste time going down a list is just that: wasting time

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I don’t like BioWare games they’re bad and dumb

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

CottonWolf posted:

But what if, and I know this is crazy, some of them are actually good?

i would be willing to hear some potential good ones

IN ANOTHER THREAD

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

feel like that reputation doesn't matter anyway, the folks who know enough about obsidian games to know that also know they cant really get that sort of game or storytelling from any other studio

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I’m currently attempting a potd SC Priest of Skaen melee run, but I feel like your summoned weapons only really start coming online around where I’m at at level 8. Keeping a chanter around to help with party buffs has been pivotal.

I accidentally got a benevolent 1 disposition and I’m worried I hosed the build though lol. Should’ve let the Roparu suffer I guess :negative:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ilitarist posted:

It existed in a relatively short time span between the disillusionment with The End of History idea and, well, recent events. Now that the world is disillusioned with the idea that if you don't put points in freedom in prosperity they go into a military and science PoE2 nuanced approach feels almost apologetic.

...when exactly do you think Deadfire was made?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I absolutely love write ups and build ideas like that, it’s like crack to me. Thank you so much

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

You might want to post in the WotR thread with that question. Unlike deadfire, WotR basically requires mods to be super fun and playable, but it also has a ton of customization options, so long as you play on Core or lower difficulties. Hard and Unfair both require much more meta builds.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

that is why I said mods are a must. 1 click with bubble buff bot baby

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

that said yeah def make your first playthrough on normal, the game has encounters that … really aren’t well designed if you don’t expect them on higher difficulties.

and ofc have a mod that lets you respec when you go to higher difficulties.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ilitarist posted:

Also "you should only play with mods" sounds like a big condemnation to me. This is an enhanced edition of a game that is basically and expandalone for another game that had an enhanced edition and director's cut. Devs not adding clearly needed features like simplified buffs tells you what this game is.

yes. I intend it as a condemnation of the developers.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

phew, oracle of wael on potd with the community mod was no joke. really feel good about it only taking 2-3 tries (and ofc drugs for all my characters) to beat it, even though it was still by the skin of my teeth. definitely feel like Sissak and the Frightened Child were way way harder even so

god this game owns so much. i started this run as a proof of concept of a melee Priest and i feel like i proved it. now i wish there were more campaigns etc to sink my teeth into for this game/engine :smith:

oh well. time to finish this run with beast of winter and spend a few months playing other things while thinking about my next run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Waifu Radia posted:

phew, oracle of wael on potd with the community mod was no joke. really feel good about it only taking 2-3 tries (and ofc drugs for all my characters) to beat it, even though it was still by the skin of my teeth. definitely feel like Sissak and the Frightened Child were way way harder even so

god this game owns so much. i started this run as a proof of concept of a melee Priest and i feel like i proved it. now i wish there were more campaigns etc to sink my teeth into for this game/engine :smith:

oh well. time to finish this run with beast of winter and spend a few months playing other things while thinking about my next run

forgot how much smaller (comparatively) beast of winter is, and easier to boot, didnt have to retry any of the boss battles lol

bittersweet ending, but i guess that's always the case. the RDC ending isn't as grim as I had feared, and even has notes of hope amidst some of the oppression that starts to crack down.