Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anything I should know before starting the game? Any dump stats or must-have stats?

Don't remember much about PoE and don't have a savegame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Someone please tell me a really fun class/multi-class to play :shobon:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

divx posted:

Devoted/Soul Blade. Use great swords or dual wield swords

Are those sub-classes of something :confused:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Clever Spambot posted:

I think when I finally start my "real" run when the hotfix drops im gonna go Devoted fighter/shattered pillar monk, the fact every character gets unarmed proficiency for free means you actually get to be devoted to fists+something of your choice, which gives you alot of coverage.

Why are you waiting for a hotfix for a real run?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Thanks for the class suggestions, guys! :v:

Any way to import more portraits?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
So I started a fighter/cipher character with 12 constitution because I wanted a bit of everything (16 Might tho) How stupid was this? 2 hours in and I've already died a few times.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Just don't get hit, easy.

Do you ever get to increase or respec attributes in this game?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Vhak lord of hate posted:

You (probably) would be better off focusing on other ways to mitigate damage, let Eder engage, pump your defenses (lots of good warrior passives for that), CC, etc. Your star is never gonna be HP but I've seen good melee builds with 8 con, you just have to learn to play with it.

Okay, thanks. I won't restart then.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Uhh, how in gently caress do I leave Port Maje? When I go to a map point, it will only let me travel to the other parts of the city, Gorecci Street and Satahuzi or something.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Bottom left of the map screen, exit to land (assuming you don't have the boat up and running).

:doh: Thanks.

Also...

Trying to level up to level 4 as a multi-class, but it won't let me switch to the other class' tree when picking an ability :confused:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Help... can't switch to the other class to pick an ability when leveling up my multi-class character. :(

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

marshmallow creep posted:

Is it a "New Power Level" level? You have to pick one for both classes, and it won't let you switch which class you're looking at until you pick the first one.

Ohh, crap, yes, a new power level. Thanks guys.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Should I keep Oderisi's notes?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What should I do to win sea battles with my tiny Defiant?

In my first fight I manuevered and reduced their crew to 1, then boarded, but they still had way more dudes than me and I got slaughtered quickly.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's the importance of armor in this game? Should I sacrifice, say, 35% recovery speed for 8 armor (I'm level 5) :confused:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

bewilderment posted:

Unless you're really sure about what you're doing, everyone on the frontlines should be wearing at least medium armor.

Spellcasters at range should probably wear medium armor too.
The only people wearing light armor should basically be people specced to use ranged weapons consistently so that they can fire off as many shots as possible from relative safety.

Nobody should be running around in just clothes.

Oh. Had +3 armor clothes on my fighter/cipher because I figured recovery speed was really important. :downs:

Also, what does "one additional Engagement" mean? Does it mean the character can tank against 2 rather than 1?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Engagement means an enemy is forced into combat with your character. They can break engagement, but you get a free attack if they do. Enemies are engaged when they enter melee range of a character who has a melee weapon equipped. The more engagements you can have, the more enemies get locked in when they get near you. So it basically helps you because when an enemy is engaged they aren't likely to try to move out of it. Tanks wanna engage as many enemies as they can as otherwise those enemies will go for squishier targets.

Sweet, thanks.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Should I be selling off all the precious stones/gems I "find" :ninja: or do they have a use?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
This game has my GPU fan going like mad. Bizarre. It's not exactly technically advanced.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Any way to view your exact recovery speed anywhere? Picked up a pet that reduces it, but it doesn't say how much.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Agean90 posted:

wait for them to fix the bug that just spawns in all crewmembers alive and kicking regardless of how much grapeshot you pour in

beats posted:

So this is a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q9Qvv7sjOk

Apparently anything with a 'reload time' is broken? Clicking to attack or use an ability while reloading just ends the reload.

How the gently caress do you ship a game with these kinds of bugs after 3 years of development :confused:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Are there any must have Wizard spells at tier 2/3?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What is the "level" contribution to HP based on?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Where am I supposed to find Muhai's treasure after burning her body? The directions aren't very specific.

edit: never mind. Not much of a treasure!

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 13, 2018

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's a good way to make money in this game? Sinking ships? I guess boarding is out of the question until they fix the bug with a full max squad of enemy shipmates spawning. I, perhaps stupidly, spent most of my money on a single weapon for my main char...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I wish someone had told me to pick Deadfire Archipelago as my origin before I started the game. I'm an Island Aumaua, which leaves me with 1/2 of requirements for a lot of speech options. :doh:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Any way to recharge the Hylea's Bounty food item (+2 to all skills etc)?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How do you use a spyglass? Just keep it in your stash/personal inventory?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone else get invisible characters and enemies in parts of Husonga? Or whatever that place is called, early in the main quest.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 24, 2018

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
he;lp..

I'm new to this. Gonna play turn based. Thinking of playing a Blood Mage/Paladin or BM/Assassin as I saw that mentioned somewhere. Is this a good choice? I want to be OP and able to focus on story without getting stuck in very hard fights.

What attributes and abilities/spells should I pick?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

If you want to be OP roll a Bleak Walker / whatever the fighter class with one proficiency is and choose the Morningstar. There are at least two high-level base game morningstars that have ridiculous proc effects and they’re crush / pierce so they’ll do against most enemies. You’ll be tank as gently caress with some decent single target debuff options.

Okay, I like the sound of this. 2h/Greatsword is more my style though.

Attributes (turn based)?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Nasgate posted:

Greatsword has lots of good options as well. The modal works well with Paladins. I like the whispers of Endless paths, good limited aoe.

Do note that bleakwalkers kind of have to be complete assholes. All Paladins are pretty good though, they just enhance different abilities.

As for stats, imo leave Dex at 10 so you don't get negative attributes. Initiative isn't super important in tbm, it determines turn order but you always get one turn a round. High might is always good. Int isn't as important for non casters because it take a lot of int to affect duration in tbm(casters still like the aoe)
Perception is really nice for accuracy, and the other stats aren't super important for paladins because you get plenty of defenses from the class, so flavor it as you will.

Personally I'd say any class+rogue is really good in TBM. Their movement ability is extremely strong. 1 turn of 50 deflection and having a movement ability from the getgo is just really good.

What do you mean by "bleakwalkers kind of have to be complete assholes"? Are you talking about dialogue options?

Pellisworth posted:

imo:

Might is good for more damage and healing.
Perception is good for accuracy, you need to be able to actually hit things.
Intellect is good for longer duration and larger AoEs.

Constitution gives you more HP which is kinda eh. As a paladin you'll be plenty tanky as-is, leave it at 10 or put a couple points there if you want.
Dexterity is way less valuable in turn-based, just leave it at 10.
Resolve is also not really necessary.

I'd say put 16 in Might, Perception, and Intellect and 10 in Constitution, Dexterity, and Resolve.

You get lots of weapon proficiencies and there's no penalty for using a weapon without one, so you don't need to be super specialized into one weapon. Paladins are a great class for a newbie, they get high defenses, some good buffs/debuffs and healing. Plus you are encouraged to roleplay.

The game encourages you not to multiclass as a new player but paladin pairs really well with almost anything. Paladin/chanter and paladin/wizard are particularly strong imo. Both get summoning spells which are very helpful. I'd recommend your choice of paladin plus troubadour.

Don't get discouraged by the starter island, Gorecci Street and the digsite have some incredibly hard fights, it gets much easier afterward
Thanks!

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Prism posted:

Yes.

The concept of the Bleak Walkers is that they are an order that believes extreme brutality makes conflict end faster. They act as mercenaries who win by being so brutal that, when they're called in on one side of a conflict, the other side immediately surrenders to avoid being Bleak Walker'd. They are not allowed to show mercy or give quarter. They're not sadists, but when you ask for Bleak Walker aid, you had better 100% believe that they are required because there's no way to call them off - their order doesn't allow that.

Since Paladins get defensive bonuses based on how much they follow their orders' beliefs, playing a Bleak Walker means you never stand down, and once you start something with them, it's going to end in violence.

What happens when I go against the favored dispositions of my order?

I started playing a Bleak Walker but they favor aggressiveness and cruelty. I'm more of a benevolence guy :shobon:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Roobanguy posted:

i'm pretty sure there's a skill that negates the debuffs from having the opposite dispositions.

I don't even know why I picked Bleak Walker. Someone here recommended it for some reason. It's not great for my role playing purposes.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

imo:

Might is good for more damage and healing.
Perception is good for accuracy, you need to be able to actually hit things.
Intellect is good for longer duration and larger AoEs.

Constitution gives you more HP which is kinda eh. As a paladin you'll be plenty tanky as-is, leave it at 10 or put a couple points there if you want.
Dexterity is way less valuable in turn-based, just leave it at 10.
Resolve is also not really necessary.

I'd say put 16 in Might, Perception, and Intellect and 10 in Constitution, Dexterity, and Resolve.

You get lots of weapon proficiencies and there's no penalty for using a weapon without one, so you don't need to be super specialized into one weapon. Paladins are a great class for a newbie, they get high defenses, some good buffs/debuffs and healing. Plus you are encouraged to roleplay.

The game encourages you not to multiclass as a new player but paladin pairs really well with almost anything. Paladin/chanter and paladin/wizard are particularly strong imo. Both get summoning spells which are very helpful. I'd recommend your choice of paladin plus troubadour.

Don't get discouraged by the starter island, Gorecci Street and the digsite have some incredibly hard fights, it gets much easier afterward

I've now started with Kind Wayfarer/Troubadour :unsmith:

18 Might, 10 Con, 7 Dex, 18 Perception, 15 Intellect, 10 Resolve

Is that reasonable for attributes (turn based)?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 28, 2019

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah that will work great. You'll act pretty late in your turn but that's not a big deal. Take Soft Winds of Death as your starting chant, and keep Brisk Recitation on all the time. It's probably a bug but you'll get two ticks of Death which is awesome, and doubled chant phrase generation.

Cool. :cool:

That's the chant I picked!

But what does "Phrase Linger disabled" even mean?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

KPC_Mammon posted:

You probably want 14 Intellect if you are playing turn based. It is just enough to give one extra turn on most buffs and debuffs, 15 gives very little over 14.

Too late now. Maybe there's some dialogue stat check that needs 15. :shobon:

Don't suppose there's any way to change your hero's voice after the game has started? The preview in character creation doesn't reveal that the stoic sounding Vox dude will speak like a smug twat.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

Normally, you chant a phrase (like Soft Winds) for one round and then it lingers for a second round. This means you can have two chant effects active (one that you chanted that round and the linger from last round) and generate one Phrase per round for casting Evocations.

With Brisk Recitation, the linger is disabled but you can chant two phrases per round. So you still can have two chant effects active each round, but you generate two Phrases. In practice this means the main difference between normal and Brisk Recitation is the latter generates twice the Phrases, which is super powerful.

I must be missing something. Troubadour gives Phrase Linger +100%. But Brisk Recitation disables linger altogether. Huh?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Such a great documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, Troubadour is a bit weird in turn-based. In RTWP, the linger lets you keep Phrases online for a lot longer, while Brisk Recitation is mostly situational for when you need to build up phrases fast. In turn-based, because of the way durations are rounded off to the nearest number of turns (6 seconds), you need like 30 or 40 int to get phrases to linger for more than a round, while the reduced duration of Brisk Recitation has no effect. There's basically no downside to keeping it constantly on if you haven't hit the benchmark for 2-round lingers.

Not sure why I was told to pick Troubadour for my turn based game then. :confused: