Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'd like to replay PoE I before getting this.

I've not played since the expansions were added, any changes I should be aware of?
Does seal accuracy still benefit from the caster's skill in mechanics? I remember repulsing seal critting nearly all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

I would recommend against it tbh

To me, PoE is one of the more disappointing CRPGs I've played. Boring, unengaging rehash of Baldur's Gate with lots of trash mobs. It's so... sad.

I always burn out halfway through. Is it worth just skipping to POE II or should I just play something else?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Someone finally made a mod for the first game's Stronghold to collect taxes every 5 days instead of being based on quest completion.

This bothered me more than anything else in the game, even if you end the game with more money than you could ever need. Renovation build times and henchmen salaries using one unit of measurement and taxes using another was my personal hell.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98567-stronghold-turns-to-days-mod/

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

PoE1 Question:

I'm playing on PotD with a party focused on ranged attacks.

Kana is currently using Persistence but I've read that his Intelligence actually lowers Wounding's DPS. Is this true/the most up to date info? If so, should I be using a different weapon with him?

Sagani is using Borresaine. She stuns her primary target fairly often but I've never seen her driving flight stun additional targets. Have I been unlucky or unable to notice the stuns due to the chaotic nature of PotD or can she not stun multiple targets?

Does anyone have a favorite ranged weapon for priests?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Would it break anything if guns were crush/pierce?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

2house2fly posted:

In the kickstarter age the definition of "commercial success" can be a little malleable. Deadfire won't do PoE1 numbers but it's possible it could end up with more fans who'd be interested in kickstarting another game. DLC attach rates and completion stats might be indicative there

Not doing PoE1's numbers seems like a really bad sign for a sequel.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Sorry for spamming the thread with PoE1 questions, but what are people's favorite spell mastery picks?

For wizards Chill Fog seems like the obvious level 1 choice, I use it every fight and Eder is immune to blind due to the Crossed Patch so I'll often cast it right on top of him so the bonus aoe from Int protects my entire party from anyone who gets past him.

I've no idea what to take with my priest. Halt? Armor of Faith? Do fear spamming enemies become prevalent enough late game to justify Prayer Against Fear?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Agnosticnixie posted:

On priest I usually went with the prayers but I also benched Durance 99% of the time.

On wizard I usually kept defensives like Spirit Shield and Bulwark and focused the grimoire on offensives.

My main is a priest of Eothas because Durance is terrible. I open most fights with brilliant aggrandizing radiance followed by painful interdiction, which makes PotD a lot easier when you have a really high dexterity and intelligence.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i do think it's interesting that none of the PoE gods have omniscience, as that's a trait that often gets correlated with having divine power. they're much more like the greek pantheon where they're effectively mortals with super powers, but still ultimately fallible. i dunno, it's inherently less impressive/scary if the "gods" can't predict the future with 100% certainty - really gives you a sense that you can overcome them if you put your nose to the grindstone.

Very few gods (especially those who were members of a pantheon) throughout human history were omniscient.

The omniscient and omnipotent God is a modern monotheistic concept.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

frajaq posted:

It was an intentional choice to give the player a poo poo ending, good poo poo Obsidian

Classic Obsidian. Did you play KOTOR 2 or Neverwinter Nights 2?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Taear posted:

I'm going to post a spoiler for the boardgame Gloomhaven here so if you plan on playing it don't read this post. It's about pets.

In Gloomhaven there's a class called the Beast Tyrant. It's a tiny withered ratman with a gigantic bear pet. Most of the ratman's powers involve making the bear do stuff and very little of it is him doing anything at all. He, as a character standalone, isn't very strong.
That sort of idea is what I'm after with the Ranger. A class that puts all it is into the pet and doesn't really do a lot without them. When you're the only pet class in a game I want the pet to be something extra good, I think. That'd also bypass the issue of having to balance having an extra party member.

Plus, if you want to focus on ranged attacks and beast abilities you could just multiclass.

Having the ranger be yet another ranged dps doesn't actually add anything. Give them survival skills, pet skills, pretty much anything but more stuff that overlaps with rogues or fighters.

This wasn't so much an issue in 1, but now that we can mix and match classes I'd like a better division of capabilities. Right now I don't know why rangers as a class exist (besides being a kickstarter goal years ago).

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 4, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh hey, Deadfire made "steam top sellers of 2018 so far", bronze tier.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2018_so_far_top_sellers/

I might be misremembering, but the last game I really liked that made bronze tier, Prey, had it's president shitcanned/step down due to poor sales.

I'm not sure bronze is a good sign.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I've been using the singular they for the past 30 years. I was told not to do it by my teachers in grade school but who cares? How is it even an issue?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm nearing the end of my pillars 1 potd playthrough as a priest and I'd like to know if that class is as required in pillars 2.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I mostly needed priests in the first game to spam layer after layer of buffs and cc immunity. I take it that isn't so much a thing in this one?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Doubling anything that underperforms and finding the midpoint between its two previous values if you end up over-buffing the ability is actually a good way to balance things. Small incremental upgrades could take dozens of patches to get where you need to be if it turns out the ability needed to be x4 better than it was originally.

With doubling you'll get there within 2-3 patches regardless of where the final target might be.

It also encourages people to actually try the abilities, which is needed to get any testing done. Having graze to hit go from 10% to 12% isn't going inspire anyone to actually take the ability, even if it was somehow balanced and good at the new value. Doubling or tripling abilities turns heads and makes people consider previously unusable builds.

That said, it should be trivial to run some simulations to determine 15% graze to hit is garbage compared to most other options and it should have been much higher to begin with. If you are making a system from the ground up you should make the framework to properly run the numbers as well.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I've started act III of Pillars 1, finished White March 1, just met the eyeless in part 2, and cleared out Cragholdt.

About how much game is left?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Getting close to wrapping up the first PoE, I want to beat Sefyra this time. Any tips? My party is priest PC, Eder, Kana, Pallegina, Aloth and Sagani.

I just beat her earlier tonight on PotD for the first time. I went with priest PC, Pallegina, Devil of Caroc, Sagani, Hiravias, and Aloth. I change my party fairly often to avoid burnout though.

Make sure Aloth takes spells that target reflex or will, trying to hit fortitude is a waste of time. Since it is a long fight dots are good.
I had a couple of scrolls of paralysis for Sagani, she has high base accuracy so she is better at landing debuffs.
Rest ahead of the fight for bonus accuracy against beasts.

edit: Alpine dragon was harder for me since I was unprepared and Pallegina was immediately killed at the start of the fight (I was also lower level). Didn't realize there was going to be a dragon in that cave.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 23, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, figured it out in the meantime, you can just choose it from the menu when camping. I thought maybe you could get it from resting in a specific place.

Sorry, I should have said camp. I try to get Survival 10 on all of my guys, other than the designated trap and lock disarmer, for that unbelievably good +15 accuracy.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

jerman999 posted:

Did I miss something big that specifies that you get an acc bonus from survival? Is there a good list of bonuses from actives/passives?

In pillars 1 survival gives you a selectable bonus when camping. 4 ranks let's you select +10 accuracy vs an enemy type (says on the description for the skill), 10 ranks gives a +15 bonus.

Camping bonuses stack with inn bonuses, so ideally you'll have a couple of early encounters to see what kind of enemy you'll want a bonus against (usually spirits) while burning spells as fast as possible. Once you run low on spells camp and steamroll the rest of the dungeon.

I don't get the hate for daily powers in pillars 1.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

The only real "buffs" it got from PoE1 are some mild power level scaling to damage (that I'm not sure even keep up with the +1 acc/level it got in the first game), and it deals Raw damage now. No multiclass synergy, nothing from gear, just tiny splash damage on melee hits.

Being raw damage doesn't really do anything anymore and the way damage penalties are applied means it likely does less damage now. Before you could stack enough modifiers to mostly negate the penalty since everything was additive, which is no longer the case with penalties.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Is it worth multiclassing a wizard just to make the early game more interesting? I was thinking chanter for additional debuffs/buffs or trickster for free defensive spells.

Or can I just respec later to pure wizard when it becomes better? Does pure wizard end up better? Most of the info on the official forums is from 1.0 and doesn't seem very up to date, so sorry if these are dumb questions.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I got trapped in old city exploring after finding someone's dead husband. Guards weren't kidding about not waiting for me. Boss at the end was way too much for my level 5 party.

Ended up sneaking past some pirate smugglers behind a secret door I missed earlier.

I didn't have an earlier save and my autosaves were thoroughly overwritten by the time I noticed the lift had left me behind.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Aloth keeps running into his own freezing cloud for reasons unknown so I'm really looking forward to turn based mode.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

Long as you're happy to kill everyone there and lose those quests.

You can stealth past everyone to avoid combat.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Did we get a bad update? I keep getting blocked terrain where there shouldn't be. First in the Kraken's Eye where I couldn't walk across the room and now on the beach, a circle of invisible impassible terrain around half of my party.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm not running any mods.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Xoti has turned insane in my playthrough but I really don't think it is worth it. Did they nerf the scaling on her reaping aura? Right now she has all of her skill points in religion and it only gives +3% damage. Considering it is additive with everything else that'll probably end up being less than a single point of damage most of the time.

I think I'll reload because it seems pretty bad compared to a pair of fists.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I just had a hell of a fight against the Black Isle Bastards while only level 10. Hardest fight yet on veteran.

They didn't drop the unique club that I was heavily basing my build around. :suicide:

Edit: Will I get another chance at it when they respawn? How long does it take for that to happen?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 11, 2019

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Nasgate posted:

Earlier Barb/Monk chat made me realize what I'm doing for my Principi run. Drug addicted cannibal. I don't even care if the two subclasses don't end up meshing well.

But the Principi are the good guys.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's a bug. You need the redo the fight.

Is there a list of bugged unique ship gear that sometimes doesn't drop? I've just realized that I've not seen any this playthrough and that doesn't seem right.

I'm tempted to get enough achievement points to get Eder a pet and just scrapping this play-through and waiting for the next patch. I'm pretty sure I ran into the bug that prevents random encounters as well.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Paladin trip report:

I've read a lot of disparaging things about the Kind Wayfarer bonus being garbage because it doesn't scale very well. This hasn't been the case for me at all.

I use it with dual wielding, so at level 1 it provided 40 burst healing to the entire party twice an encounter. When you only have 60 hit points this is obviously a big deal.

At level 10 my flames of devotion provides 60 health to the entire party. Eder has around 180 hit points. Sure, this isn't as large of a % of the party's health, but I can use flames of devotion 8 times per encounter. Flames of devotion more than triples my party's effective hit points while also dealing some of the most reliable and highest damage in my party (give your paladin the ring that gives +10 accuracy with fire attacks so that flames of devotion is +20 over baseline).

The amount of healing I get out of the ability has doubled as a percent of my frontline's health from level 1 to 10. It scales so well that I've restarted my Herald playthrough as a Crusader because I just didn't need the healing from troubadour.

edit: I can also confirm that power level modifies weapon damage rolls with weapon abilities. My base damage roll has always been above the theoretical maximum damage roll for my weapon ever since picking up +4 fire power levels with my weapons. I might need to look into a single class kind wayfarer next for the additional uses of flames of devotion and faster scaling.

edit 2: Or maybe druid or wizard for access to some more fire spells. Wizard buffs would probably go really well with a paladin build focused on flames of devotion.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 11, 2019

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

for reasons i don't fully understand i ALWAYS make sure i get on good terms with vithracks

I'd blame mind control.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

I disagree; I think the bonus gained from healing barely moves my health bar for some reason. You have numbers and I definitely don't, so I trust your reading of the situation more than mine, but early game it felt like a proper heal and lategame it feels like a drop in the bucket. Lay on Hands similarly.

I find it strange you find it so ineffective.

Not only is flames of devotion healing my entire party for 60 each use, I'm able to use it every 4.3 seconds. It is effectively 34 seconds of 14 hit points a second, which makes troubadour and druid healing look like a joke. You can also throttle it down to extend its effective duration better when incoming damage isn't as much of an issue.

The damage is also phenomenal. My main character has significantly outpaced Xoti (pure monk) and Eder (Swashbuckler) in damage done, and neither have left my party over the course of the game. +20 accuracy is a big deal.

I'm not even doing as much as I could to optimize the healing. There is a boon you can get early game that gives +50% healing done until you rest, which I'm saving for late game once I've figured out my party composition and rest bonuses. It is additive with might but would still result in 80 hit points per use.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Hawgh posted:

What exactly is the use case for Sacred Immolation?

Unless I'm guaranteed that nothing I'm fighting can touch my paladin, activating it is basically a death sentence, and against enemies that aren't a threat, it's at best going to speed up the encounter slightly.

Is there a way to make it less self-harming?

My kind wayfarer has enough self healing that I was thinking I could afford the self harm, but I'm not there yet so I don't actually know. I really doubt it is worth the 4 zeal even if I could heal through it though.

Considering the pretty significant drawback I'm baffled by how expensive it is to use.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Regarding the new turn-based mode: initiative seems way, way less important and valuable than action speed. It’s really hard to imagine how that change isn’t going to break just about every power, stat or ability that used to increase action speed. Why would anyone use a light weapon under this system?

You can make additional actions per turn with enough initiative.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Wait, seriously? How much Initiative do you need for this? Does it just grant an additional standard/cast action, or does it also grant full movement? Does it count as a round for the purposes of buff/debuff timers?

Also, here's a fun time for anyone doing the opening cave in TB: in the fight with the Rotghast and other stuff, kill off his buddies then run away from him. His low movement range and lack of Engagement means you can have someone run up, attack with a melee weapon, then run out of his movement range before he can catch up. I'm still early so enemies with Engagement are few and far between, but I suspect reach weapons always stay outside of Engagement range when possible, making a hit-and-run melee fighter a lot more appealing than when you needed god-tier APM or a million pauses a second to get it done.

Unrelated note: consumables all seem to be standard actions in TB. I could have sworn potions didn't trigger recovery, but looking through some of the skill trees it seems like they made some instant-use stuff count as Standard (including Clarity of Agony and Blade Turning for the monk- no "free" parries unfortunately) and probably decided to hit potions with it too

I could be mistaken, I'll retest it, but after taking off my armor I've gone at the top and bottom of some rounds. It reslotted my character in the queue after making the first attack.

Edit: Looks like I was mistaken!

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 24, 2019

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

drat :( that would have made stacking Initiative an appealing option at least. Thanks for testing it!

I tested it with berserker frenzy, dual wielding initiative 3 weapons, no armor, and the dual wield passive. If that doesn't get you an extra action I'm not sure what would.

Edit: Also tried one handed, in case full attacks were preventing extra actions.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 24, 2019

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Hulk Smash! posted:

Also, in turn based mode, loading a game or starting a new game always shows residual text in the edges. (Playing at 2560 x 1080):

I got this a lot during screen transitions while doing naval combat in the previous patch, sometimes not even along the edges.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Nasgate posted:

So uhhh, idk what all is combining to do this besides turn based mode. But if I insta-kill an enemy from stealth the rest of the enemies can no longer detect me. I just killed that band of Xaurips on Maje island with my assassin/goldpact by sneak attacking them one by one. Two right in front of the named one. Gonna test a little more to see if I'm invisible without stealth after the first kill and put it on the official forums if it's not there already.

But uh, assassin is currently broken y'all.

This was the case in real time mode in previous patches as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

pmchem posted:

Good patch!

I wonder if "In deck-to-deck combat, loot can no longer be lost if there is too much" fixed the unique loot not dropping on ship fights such as Kapana Taga and Akola's Apex Ward?

I thought that was due to reloading the autosave at the start of ship combat. Was this not the case?