Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If I want to design a character with the goal of getting as much attack speed as possible, what’s my best bet? I’m thinking Multiclassing barb and fighter for frenzy and all the abilities/Passives that reduce/eliminate recovery is the way to go. Unless monk with swift strikes will give me a bigger boost than one of those classes?

Basically I want to get my Conan on and whip around a giant 2h sword as quickly as possible (I know dual wielding is faster but please don’t judge my aesthetic sensibilities)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

If I want to design a character with the goal of getting as much attack speed as possible, what’s my best bet? I’m thinking Multiclassing barb and fighter for frenzy and all the abilities/Passives that reduce/eliminate recovery is the way to go. Unless monk with swift strikes will give me a bigger boost than one of those classes?

Basically I want to get my Conan on and whip around a giant 2h sword as quickly as possible (I know dual wielding is faster but please don’t judge my aesthetic sensibilities)

Just gonna bump the one time then I'll shut up--and by "attack speed" I include stuff like Riposte or Mob Stance where certain conditions give you a free extra attack.

I basically just want to be smacking stuff with a sword as frequently as possible, without playing Diablo 3 instead.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was loving around with console command cheats to see how I liked some of the higher level classes and I learned two related things:

1) wall of many colors is a very dangerous spell that you should aim carefully

2) If you kill Eder on the boat in the prologue fight, he does not appear on the beach

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I discovered this by being insufficiently attentive to Frenzy+Carnage team killing potential. The herald chided me for butchering so much of the crew.

Yeah I decided that berserker might not be the best choice for a first play through, until I get a better sense of how much danger of dying NPCs are in.

Speaking of companions; do they each only have one quest in this game? Just wondering when it’s safe to bench them without missing out on story stuff.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gameplay question; as I sail around the world, am I safe to just gank every named captain I can find and take their triumph, or will this have long term consequences?

You’d think this would give me a reputation hit with their faction but if that’s happening, I don’t think the game is telling me so...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the first part is info you get in the very first god-chat and the rest is my speculation. :shrug:

AFAIK you're 100% safe because there's also nothing you can do to stop another captain from ganking you as soon as you get into aggro range (and it'd be a dick move if random boats could tank your reps). it'd be different if flying a faction's colors had any measurable impact on the game, but none of the boat stuff seems to do anything but serve as mobile loot pinatas, go hog wild!

That seems to be my experience so far too, yeah. I guess years of playing sid meier’s pirates have given me expectations but if this game encourages me to be a murderhobo scourge of the sea, I ain’t gonna say no

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

StringOfLetters posted:

I think the Engwithan gods get more interesting when they're less like D&D 'gods,' with a vaguely defined sphere of influence, who end up being background to a couple of their-thing themed fights and a side quest, and more like immortal spirit politicians who meddle in all sorts of poo poo, and use their churches/cults like embassies/spy agencies. Galawain talking about survival of the fittest and then making you fight some druids: eh. Galawain offering you a legendary spear if you'll sabotage a company's effort to colonize his nature preserve full of monsters: rad. I think the gods make their best showing when they get directly involved, pick sides, bestow cool poo poo on their favorite mortals, and get their hands dirty.

:same:

I enjoy myths where the gods are petty in-fighting fuckups, and I’m not too far into poe2 yet (just reached the capital city) but it seems to be delivering so far

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't think anyone has ever made Tekehu a chanter. I've tried my darndest to find out what his chanter kit actually does, and all I've been able to find is that it's called Storm Speaker and that it sucks.

Personality wise I like the idea of tekehu as a chanter. However I like the idea of a Street Shark companion even more, so Druid it is

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

*kissing biceps* these are the only guns my ship needs

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Obsidian games are about losing yourself for weeks in sidequests and forgetting the main quest exists anyway.

I still haven't finished the main quest (Eothas is currently waiting for me at Magran's teeth, no idea how far along i am) but I'm enjoying the world-building. Especially how it avoids the easy out of having a "good" faction to root for, they're all problematic in their own way.

I mean I'm still gonna side with the huanu probably, because this is their home while everyone else is some flavor of thief or imperialist; they're still heads and shoulders the least of the available evils, but the more I learn about the caste system, the more I kind of want to tell the huanu to go gently caress themselves too unless I get an option to lead a glorious roparu revolution at the end (don't spoil this for me if it actually does happen, I have no idea).

That said, for all the choice, I still can't imagine the world in which I don't slaughter every slaver at crookspur, no idea why that was even an option.

probably reminds him of an ex

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Well, I suppose it's just as well that I wasn't planning to side with the VTC, because I think I bugged out their questline. I must have somehow spoken to the director before the game expected me to, because he gave me the Dirty Laundry quest, and I completed it a while ago. Today I went back to the VTC after finishing the Poko Kohara quest, and the governor introduced me to the director for what the game wanted me to believe was the first time, and he gave me the Dirty Laundry quest again except I can't complete it, because I already did it

Hope you didn't get anything cool from them (or that this questline isn't mandatory to progress to finish the game because uhhhh lol). I googled a little and it seems like I'm not the only one who's encountered this, but I didn't read too much because I didn't want to accidentally spoil anything for myself.

e: speaking of faction progress; do the bounties give you anything at all besides cash, or can I just safely skip them if I don't care about the money?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm having a very peculiar performance issue with this game. When I start it up for the first time on any given evening, it'll run beautifully at max settings, for about 5 minutes, then it'll grind to a halt and reboot my computer and spit out a kernel 41 power error at me. Then when I play the game again, the framerate will suffer a bit even with some of the more taxing graphics settings turned off (lights, antialiasing) but it won't reboot my computer, it'll run fine for hours.

No other game has done this to me, and in fact this one wasn't doing it at all for the first few weeks I was playing it, it just ran fine at 60fps at high settings, no trouble. It's just in the past week or so that this started happening.

I've got good hardware; Geforce 980 ti, i7 something something, a good PSU that gives me no trouble with much more intense games. Just this one. Messing with drivers doesn't seem to matter and it didn't coincide with a patch.

I'm not gonna turn this into the tech support thread or anything but has anyone else experienced anything like this, or do I have a ghost in my computer

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Avalerion posted:

I just cheat engine myself a million gold at the start of games like these, dealing with the economy in rpgs just isn't fun for me at all. :shrug:

Yeah I don’t typically enjoy resource grinds in single player games. I’m glad the POE team caters to me specifically by having built-in console cheats with consequences that I don’t care about.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don’t believe I’ve found that last one yet

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think I must have resolved xoti’s personal quest differently than the rest of you; where’s the serial killer vibe coming from?

Also the romances in this game are so subtle that I’m still not completely sure whether I scored or not

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

The dialogue with Maia had her suggest we bang in a soldier's bunk, then I suggested we do it back on the boat. Assume scoring went during a fade to black or a load screen.

As for Xoti's quest, yeah, there's another way to resolve it that takes things down a darker vein.

I romanced xoti and it faded to black in the temple of gaun, and faded back in in the same place. Either the dawnstars are completely uninhibited or I got a handy in a corner or something

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

It depends on how you handle her personal quest. If she holds onto the souls, or embraces the Death aspects of Gaun, she starts killing people so she can reap more

Lmao yikes

Mine is just a folksy priest who doesn’t have nightmares anymore

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m at the edge of the endgame and it’s time to pick a side and I’m struggling to find a reason to choose the principi

[spoiler]every other faction offers some level of “we’ll use ukaizo to benefit all kith-kind” and the principi is literally just “we’re going to loot it because we like gold a lot”

I guess it’s neat that the game offers a viable option for players who just want to watch the world burn but they’re not making a great sales pitch for any other reason

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eh I'm taking my first run semi-seriously and trying to make decisions that make sense to someone who cares about the well-being of the universe (I'm probably going to side with the Huana even though they kind of suck in their own way)

I am absolutely going to see how hard I can break this world on subsequent plays though

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Things that the pirates aren't:

1) Imperialists
2) Caste...ists. gently caress what is the word for this?

Either way that's two up on most of the other factions. Probably no less murderous.

Yeah I'm debating just saying "actually, gently caress all of you" and taking the solo option, because I can, but I'm curious enough to want to see what happens if I pick the Huana that I'm gonna go for it, even though I don't think I like them and I couldn't even say "let me think about this and get back to you" to the queen without taking a major reputation hit--thank god for quicksaves I guess

wiegieman posted:

I find Serafen utterly uncompelling for just this reason.

I like his VA, but otherwise, yeah, I don't keep him around (also Ciphers aren't great in this game and my PC is a Barb so there's no gameplay reason to keep him around that I can spot)

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 29, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You should go with the RDC because Atsura and Karû are the only people who deserve to run the Deadfire.

They seem mildly less sinister than some of the other factions, but they have a whole Coastal Aumua's Burden thing going on that I don't care for

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I sided with the Huana and wow some of these dialogue choices absolutely give you the option to just ruthlessly burn every character you've come into contact with (rip castol, I don't feel good about burning you, you were kind of cool). This game gets very dark if you let it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Samuel Clemens posted:

The pirates are the faction of choice for honest players, because they basically do the same thing you're doing all game, just on a larger scale.

This is....not wrong. I killed every named ship captain on sight (with the game's blessing, no less).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Castol is my bro. Enjoy your legendary city of mighty magic, aimico. :)

Castol is alright but the whole Valian agenda seems like it's to strip mine the luminous adra of the archipelago and then bug out when there's no more money to be had, which sits wrong with me, especially when you consider that luminous adra is made from souls, I think?

The RDC...well I suppose when you call it slavery it's hard to compliment, isn't it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Listen: There's a lot of words in this game, I can't be expected to read all of them

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Well...that was technically a conclusion to a video game, I guess. I had fun playing it though, looking forward to the DLC

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Digital Osmosis posted:

The principi is actually two factions. The new bloods are the "let the world burn" faction. The uh, old bloods? aren't out to pillage Ukizo, they're out to colonize it and use it's power to create a sovereign state in the deadfire based around Old Valian culture. You get the sense they're a little chiller than some of the other imperialist factions but they're still totally imperialists.

imperialist factions in order from least to most evil: VTC under Castol > Principi under Furrante > VTC under Alvari >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (limit approaches infinity) RDC.

I couldn't stomach Furrante because he wanted me to go talk to the slavers on crookspur and make some type of deal instead of just murdering them all. If I had tugged on that plot thread would I have found he was not pro-slavery after all or was that just some pragmatism bullshit?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Don’t forget that for most classes you can just choose no subclass and suffer no penalties at all; so if a class is appealing to you but you don’t like the subs, it’s not an obstacle.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Druid technically has mandatory subclass too but animist might as well just be called “no subclass” since it’s just the default abilities with a flavorful name (wouldn’t mind it if the rest of the classes had that too)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Agnosticnixie posted:

AFAIK you basically need to almost finish at least one faction chain to get to the endgame because your ship needs a boost to get there

Where do you get the ship parts that let you do it by yourself? I know I had them, but can't remember for the life of me where I found them (I think I might have just bought them?)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

adam is not good in front of a camera

I had the same thought. Poor fella.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

corpse eater sounded real good til it turned out you'd be fighting ghosts and skeletons all the loving time, or exploding every other non skeleton body with massive gibs

You can turn the gibs off but yeah that is weird design.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You’d think you’d at least be able to eat the gibs or something yeah.

If you pick corpse eater, do your companions ever comment on it? You’d think at least Eder would have a kind about not remembering you being so much of a cannibal

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

All of the named ships on the world map are involved in bounty quests and there are zero negative consequences for attacking them, so if you think you can take them in a fight, there’s no game-mechanic reason not to gank them on sight.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have no opinion about perception vs. mechanics for traps, but I will say that I'm glad you don't have to go into scout mode to spot them anymore. Hated that from PoE1.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Barbarian Chanter works for this too (corpse eater and berserker are both pretty metal)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

All-chanter party for a never ending horde of skeletons, dragons, and corpse grubs

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

a gun that shoots fish sounds amazing

But only if they're in a barrel

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Curious to see if the whole “dark humor” foundation works or flops. I think I already bought the season pass so fingers crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The differences are very minor. Supporting Galawain means that Eder and Xoti get a +5 HP boost, for example, and that's probably the strongest effect. I believe if you get Hylea, you start with a bonus cake food item. Betray Berath in the first game and you start with a stat penalty.

I sided with Hylea because she seemed the chillest and I could never bring myself to eat that cake.