Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Oh boy, Monk/Cipher here I come. Been playing PoE as a monk and enjoying it even though I'm incredibly fragile. Threw Ender's second chance armor on to give a little more survivability, and it's working pretty well. Dying bumps you to 10 wounds, which is nice if a little... Grim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

So I'm nearly done a playthrough of POE1 as an unarmed Monk, and my previous playhtough (years ago) was Cipher. I love both, so multiclassing seems like the obvious next step. I want to be hitting stuff really hard and occasionally tossing off psychic nonsense, so these subclasses seem ideal for that. I ALSO will probably use the Berath Blessing that gives double starting skills, because why not. Is there any stat distribution I should focus on? Any items I should keep an eye out for?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Working on custom portraits! Trying to get to 'good enough' stage by smashing together premade portraits and stuff.

'Finished' one is one right, ended up looking eerily like me by accident. I do not, however, know how to do the dialogue portraits. Someone posted a tutorial earlier, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was. Anyone know?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Alright, not bad! Ready for Deadfire!

...except that I'm only in Act 2 of POE1 currently. Better keep moving!

(also if anyone has tips to make the watercolour stuff look better, please pass em' on)

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Man there's a lot of really fun and flavorful weapons this time around. I'll be playing Monk, but I might dabble in weapons just to get access to some of em'.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I've been kinda working on that (see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LqO04qSRIALGehhM3GbZPJzSkbn2qMz-VTAEkF-9ZSg/edit?usp=sharing , see sheet 3) but its dependent on getting a huge list of what's in each grimoire.

One possibility would be Melee Maia with https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Llengrath%27s_Martial_Masteries

Holy poo poo Martial Power looks bonkers

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Still replaying first one on way to POE2. Got to level 10 or so, almost at the end of Act 2 and already having met the Adra Dragon before recalling 'oh yeah, Raedric'. Somehow I just walked past him and continued on to the other stuff. Having had bad memories of the place from the first time I played years ago, it was EXTREMELY cathartic to beat everyone to death with my fists with no difficulty. Always fun to get a mocking evil monologue from a guy that you then Monk Kick ten feet into a wall!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Oh wow, I'm midway through Act 3 in POE1 and just realized I never met Hiravais this time around. Must have walked right past him! Too bad you creepy dude, no story for you!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I'm always so nervous about picking stats when creating characters. For my main Monk, I have high Might and Dex, some Perception, and the others middling to bad. It's much easier with throwaway adventurers - one of my best damage dealers in POE was a Wizard with 3 Int and the rest stuffed into Might and stuff and Dangerous Implement with Scepters. Her damage was pretty insane just autoattacking, and any single target spell worked really well. She was less good at CC, naturally...

Are there any gimmick builds I should try out in POE2, particularly with 'improper' stats to make a class do something it's not meant to out of the box?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Avalerion posted:

Probably not, I'd rather think making all factions different shades of bad was intentional on their part.

Absolutely. I don't think it's an accident that people are having uncomfortable conversations about this, come on now.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I'm level 6 or so with my Soulblade/Shattered Pillar and it's working okay, but I do tend to die surprisingly often. One thing I've taken to doing is activating Dance of Death immediately in a fight and firing off a few Rapid Reload dual pistol shots - my Wounds and Focus go up super fast due to the damage caused and DoD, and since I'm out of melee range generally I'm left alone, meaning DoD gets its full effect. Once I hit whatever my target number is, I can close in for some Cipher/Monk nonsense!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

So... Is there a point to improving Explosives skill? It doesn't seem to actually do anything to your explosives, now.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

Last I checked it still improved damage, duration, and accuracy. Do you have the latest patch installed?

It SAYS it does in the tooltip, but if you hover over the numbers it looks like only Might/Int are affecting it.

edit: Yeah, it was in the patch notes.

quote:

Explosives - All scaling not based on PL is removed.
So... I guess don't bother using it?

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 13, 2018

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The fun part with valian (and probably the other languages with more unfamiliar roots) is that with my smattering of French/Italian/Spanish/Latin I can actually somewhat understand it without needing to mouse over. They really did their homework, there.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

So where the hell is Xoti? I'm currently level 12-13 and haven't met her yet!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

She was in Port Maje. Try the temple of gaun in sacred stair.

Haha, what. I have Eder and Serafen and two gimmicky mooks (max Might/Per/Dex min Int Evoker, max defense stats min everything else paladin/chanter) and have spent most of the game hunting pirates and exploring instead of doing anything useful.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Cheston posted:

She leaves Port Maje if you complete the Engwithan digsite without recruiting her. It might be a bit more specific than that? I laughed a lot when it happened to me

I did the engwithan digsite before even talking to the guy at Port maje who asks you to check it out! He's like 'yo can you-' 'nah don't worry it's done' 'wait, why' 'i don't know I was bored get off my case'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I found Xoti in Neketaka! She's crazy!