Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I just picked this game up, played the hell out of PoE1, beat it several times including on PotD difficulty.

I plan to start playing in earnest tonight, I noticed during character creation it recommends picking single-class for new players. How much should I pay attention to that, is PoE2 different enough that I ought to stick with a solo class the first time through?

Any recommendations for classes that are particularly fun/interesting in terms of dialogue options? I plan on bringing the OG crew of Eder, Aloth, and Pallegina so I'll be covered on tank-types and wizards.

edit: I was thinking single-class priest or cipher since they had a lot of extra interactions in the first game and wouldn't overlap with the OG crew. There's like a bazillion options though.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
After browsing the ability trees I think I'd like to do a Cipher multi-class with either Soul Blade or Ascendant. If I'm understanding them right, Soul Blade is focused on damaging Shred spells and dumping their focus on Annihilation so they'll spend a lot less time casting. The Ascendant wants to build max focus then dump a ton of spells back to back while they're Ascended.

I'm not too excited about the Rogue subclasses but Assassin or vanilla Rogue looks like it would work okay. Devoted fighter subclass buffs your weapon damage which ought to work well with either cipher type, similarly Shattered Pillar can build wounds off damage so you gain both Wounds and Focus from attacks.

So, any thoughts on the following combinations?
Soul Blade + Shattered Pillar (I guess you could do Ascendant here but it seems like dumping spells at max Focus is going to conflict with dumping Wounds)
Soul Blade or Ascendant + Devoted
Soul Blade or Ascendant + Rogue, Paladin, or Chanter varieties

I'm not as excited about the third set of combos, it doesn't seem like there's quite as much synergy with rogue, paladin, or chanter but I could be wrong.

Sorry if these are annoying questions, I'm kind of overwhelmed (in a good way) at the different options. There has to be well over a hundred different combinations of subclasses, right?

edit: does Monastic Unarmed Training from non-monk classes stack with monk's innate unarmed bonus?

nevermind, figured out that it does not stack.

Are any of the non-combat skills (alchemy mechanics metaphysics etc) particularly worth taking on your PC?

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 12, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I have another stupid newbie question: does the Soul Blade's Annihilation ability scale with how much Focus it dumps? I can't really tell from playing with it some.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Yes. For whatever reason, every time you attack it only displays the base damage of the attack and all of the Annihilation damage is "Additional Effects" that require mousing over. Also remember that if you generate Focus with the melee hit, that Focus will also be spent, adding to damage.

Got it, thanks. It seems like a lot of the time you'll be better off using Annihilation rather than casting a spell since most spells have such a long cast/recovery time?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Holy crap Xoti is obnoxious

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I don't like her much, and I find her weird soul eating lantern hosed up.

The lantern is weird but I just started exploring Neketaka (sp?) the big city so it's not like I'm far into the game and have done her quest or anything.

Mostly it's the combination of Southern drawl + aw shucks, religious, well-meaning yokel farmer character. The drawl was kind of jarring because no character in PoE1 had that accent including Eder who is supposed to be from the same place Xoti grew up (and they hosed lol, we had to slip that in early). It's a bit annoying on its own, but it's super grating when the character is also the exact derogatory stereotype usually associated with a drawl. I'm sure there's more to her character (hopefully) but so far she's an annoying cliche.

I mean, Eder is similar, he's a laid-back religious yokel nice-guy too. Imagine if he had a thick Southern drawl, he'd be an annoying cliche too.

edit: like I half expect to find out Xoti is casually racist and her family owned orlan slaves, then her quest is going to be her getting woke and learning that all kith deserve equal treatment and actually slavery is bad.

Berke Negri posted:

eders got a drawl, it's not quite like xotis but it's a dyrwoodan thing

Yeah but his is a lot more subdued and strikes me more as a Midwestern drawl then full-on Texas/South. I mean, Eder is already pretty close to the same stereotype, but Xoti pushes it over the edge where it's just grating.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 13, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Furism posted:

I like Xoti. Because her accent annoys my Missippi girlfriend to no end.

Are you supposed to hire mercenaries in Port Maje on PotD? I attempted the ruins with MC (Herald), Swashbuckler Eder and Monk Xoti and totally got my poo poo pushed in. Pulling the boar + panther + Wurm + Drake pack got Eder at 50% life instantly. How do you deal with that?

I hired a Druid and it got better but jeez.

That middle pack in the ruins and the looters in Gorecci Street really wrecked my poo poo with a three-person party on Veteran difficulty. Too much firepower, they pretty much delete a party member or two instantly and then you're hosed. So yeah you probably need to hire mercs on PotD.

Though, I discovered you can skip the Drake and friends in the arena entirely, you just stealth past them down the right-hand stairs and into the ruins, get to the adra pillar to advance the main quest and when you come back to the surface the Drake pack is gone and Aloth and the other survivors are there.

edit: mildly lol that Readceras has a Southern drawl. You know, the theocracy that invaded its neighbor and got shitwrecked.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 13, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

You got a lot of stuff mixed up somehow?

Eder and Xoti are from different countries entirely and never hosed, and never will gently caress. Eder's from Dyrwood, the place that had open slavery, which is reflected in his "racist but kinda trying not to be but not exactly trying very hard" attitude towards Orlans; they rebelled violently against Aedyr because LIBERTY and loves guns and Magran. Xoti's from Readceras, which probably had Orlan slaves too because :laffo: Aedyr, and was settled quite a bit after the Dyrwood, and also rebelled, but they rebelled because Eothas took over one of their farmers and things got kinda messy, and long story short, they're now a mostly theocracy. I have no idea what Readceras' attitudes towards Orlans is now, other then that Xoti's clearly down to gently caress one where Eder is not.

Deflection at least has gotta be Paladin/Wizard, with Paladin/Trickster a step behind.

I'm very early in PoE2 so I'm just bitching without having seen much of Xoti's character, just first impressions.

Am I mistaken or isn't there a very early bit of conversation with Eder and Xoti in the party where they say they knew each other growing up and wink wink had a tumble in the hay?

edit: something about how he knew this girl who was really loud when she climaxed and then Xoti gives him a dirty look

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 13, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Avalerion posted:

That was a completely different girl yea, Xoti's look is because she's shocked and/or jealous.

Zane posted:

No.

You have enough justification to be annoyed with Xoti however. Her southern accent is staged by her VA. And the combination of her incredible naivety, her fanaticism, her pratfalling, her combat savvy, and her lovy dovy attitude to the pc, are often difficult to reconcile into a wholly believable character.

Okay I misunderstood that conversation then. I thought it was weird for Eder to brag about banging Xoti with her right there, that's a Hiravias move.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fuligin posted:

I love my insane murderous fanatic southern belle, and so should you. "I see souls in the darkness... ready for reaping." I love the crazed delivery on that line

The first time I heard that I thought I heard "ready for raping" because of the accent and did a double take.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Okay so I did most (I think) of the quests around Neketaka, dipped into the Old City and Hanging Sepulchre but decided I'd come back for those later when I'm higher level (currently 8). Sailing around and doing some side quests now, close to having enough cash to upgrade to a dhow.

I'm kind of wondering about the four factions, when I need to choose one, and what the pros/cons are. I don't care too much about min/maxing stuff this first playthrough, I want to side more with who's going to be best for Deadfire on my goody two-shoe first run. Not looking for spoilers, but my thoughts on the factions so far:

Huana - kind of "noble savage" stereotypes. They mostly just want to be left alone and do their own thing. Have a lovely caste system, Roparu get hosed over pretty badly.

Principe - pirates. Old guard want to find a homeland and stronger connections with Vailia, new guard just wanna stick to pirating on the open seas. I haven't seen any particularly cruel or wicked behavior from them yet, I'm guessing there's some really nasty stuff I'll stumble on eventually. But so far they just seem like your run of the mill loot and plunder pirates. Criminals, thugs, and not good guys but not super evil so far.

Vailian Trade Company - only cares about extracting luminous adra to ship home for the lucrative animancy and adra enema market. Doesn't particularly give a poo poo about the natives or anything else, the adra must flow.

Rauataians - wants to conquer and expand their empire into the Deadfire for a reliable food supply for mainland Rauatai. Wants to "civilize" the Huana. Kind of reminds me of Imperial Japan including the language which I hadn't really picked up on in PoE1. Organized and militaristic. Accidentally spoiled myself that if you side with them you get a submarine. Is that cool/interesting at all?

I'm kind of inclined to side with the Principe or Rauatai. Principes are kind of your run of the mill pirates and pirates are fun. Rauatai seems pretty benevolent as imperial overlords go.

Without spoiling too much, are any of the faction quests particularly interesting or are there any really cool rewards? Will it be obvious when I commit to one of them?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Count Uvula posted:

I like that you pick up the tinges of Imperial Japan on the Rauatai military and still end up going "hey maybe they're a good choice," like come on bro every military that bears any resemblance to the RDC in the real world has ended up with mountains of slaughtered natives. Similarly, the Principe by their nature are based on extorting value directly from (mostly innocent) bystanders, so while Aeldys is a chill motherfucker giving her power means you're creating a lot of unnecessary bloodshed and conflict in the Deadfire.

My opinion is that the Vailian Trading Company with Castol in charge is the best ending from an entirely pragmatic view. Your interpretation of the VTC is correct if you allow Alvari to take power, but Castol is probably the most benevolent faction leader and his ending shows he's genuine.

These are just my first impressions from doing a bunch of Neketaka stuff, I haven't really spent enough time exploring the world to see the ugly side of the factions. Like yeah the RDC feels like they're establishing the Greater Deadfire Co-Prosperity Sphere but I haven't seen any evidence of them being brutal dicks yet. They want to "civilize" the Huana which is awful but what does that actually entail?

Can I ask again if the point of no return for the faction quests is obvious? I'd like to go down their chains to understand them better but don't want to unexpectedly commit myself before I've explored a lot.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Is going druid/chanter on Tekehu a good option or should I keep him pure druid?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Thanks, I kinda figured Tekehu would do best just dumping Water/Frost nukes, Chanter is great but it seems like you want to be in melee to get the most out of it.

I'm also guessing Maia probably works best multi'd to Geomancer since pure Ranger seems pretty underwhelming?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
What's the go-to for solo playthroughs? Paladin/Chanter? Kind Wayfarer / Beckoner?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I restarted on PotD and holy poo poo this feels way more difficult than PotD in PoE1.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Crowetron posted:

I've got Serafen modded to be a Soul Blade, but now I'm not sure the best weapon set up for him. I really liked the idea of him dual-wielding blunderbusses, but that seems wildly impractical in actual fights. I want him to largely be a secondary spell slinger, so are Ciphers better off building Focus with fast attacks or big attacks? Are there any weapon modals that really stand out for Ciphers?

Captainicus posted:

If I remember correctly, Soul Annhialation is a primary attack, so you'd best get Serafen some kind of two-handed weapon. Morningstar has 'attacks reduce enemy will' as a modal (I think) so that can be useful to make it easier for him to land debuffs.

IIRC Soul Annihilation doesn't scale with your weapon damage, it's flat raw damage plus more based on how much Focus you dump. So, the weapon doesn't matter for SA damage, a two-hander will deliver as much SA as a dinky dagger.

If you're trying to min/max you might want a +accuracy weapon so your SA lands and you're not whiffing and wasting a bunch of Focus. For modals, the ones that reduce defenses are good so you can land spells. Club is a good bet.

Dual Wielding makes for smoother Focus generation and the shorter recovery makes it easier to cast spells.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
loving lol Tekehu's saucy sex stories if you pursue his romance

"..firing a cannon across her portside and leaving the magnificent vessel crippled in the water."

Tekehu is a pretty fun/funny character.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
So I'm doing some theorycrafting for a solo run, not there yet but just have been thinking about it as I'm wrapping up my first playthrough on PotD.

Race: Coastal Aumaua, Mountain Dwarf, or Wild Orlan for Might/Con/Res affliction resistance. Orlan is probably the best since you can pump Perception really high which is important for spotting traps.

Class: Paladin plus something. Paladin is almost required for the large defensive stat boosts, probably Kind Wayfarer for heals or Goldpact for the mini Ironskin. Paladin/Chanter or Paladin/Wizard seem like the best options, chanter gives you damage and healing auras which are boring but good for solo, wizard lets you pump your defenses through the roof and gives you a lot of versatility with magic. Likely generic wizard since the bonuses for specializing don't seem remotely worth losing access to two spell schools. Paladin/Devoted or Paladin/Monk might work okay too.

Gear setup: mace or hammer for penetration, maybe hatchet where penetration isn't as critical. Small or medium shield, I really like the small shield modal. You might also be able to do quarterstaff with modal, that gives you more deflection than a small or medium shield, but the huge recovery speed means you'll be slow to use abilities or spells.

Mechanics is obviously something you'd invest heavily in. I'm not sure what the most critical conversation skills are.

edit: I guess you can still cast locked spell schools from a grimoire, maybe Illusionist would be alright but I still don't think the very meager bonuses are worth losing access to two schools.

edit2: the Illusionist free Mirrored Image seems to just straight up not work, it shows as triggered in the combat log but my PC doesn't get the buff.

Also I'm not sure how wizard/paladin is supposed to work. Yeah you can get +40 deflection from Wizard's Double, but you need +70 deflection relative to enemy Accuracy to avoid hits/grazes and that's not accounting for attacks that target other defenses. It's not as much survivability as it might seem at first glance. I think a Troubadour or Beckoner chanter kit would work better.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 3, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
How cool would it be if CDPR bought out Obsidian

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Jumping back into this game after quite a long break, I'd like to play on turn-based mode because it lets me have more fine control over combat instead of having everything happen at once, it's harder to keep track of everything. I started a new game and think I kind of understand how turn-based works, but I was hoping to get a tl;dr of how turn-based affects balance, builds, etc.

Basically would someone be so kind as to summarize important stats, general balance of turn-based, and what some good builds are?

Also, is it possible to have more than one action per turn at low Initiative or is Initiative only affecting when characters act within a turn?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

treizebee posted:

That spell has a "Standard" action cost. A "Standard" resolves instantly, regardless of if it's a weapon attack, ability, or spell.
A filled in diamond is "Standard", a diamond outline is "Cast". The druid moonbeam heal is "Cast", for example.

And yeah, the arquebus modal is great with the Red Hand since it only applies the penalty in the round you have to reload, so you can get that first shot off with the bonus but no penalty.
Thanks for the replies! It sounds like the most significant change in turn-based mode is that weapons that attack faster aren't necessarily better, because you only ever get one attack per round? And, heavy armor and other things that slow you down only affect Initiative, so are less of a penalty as long as you don't care about acting last.

Let me see if I have this right:
Each character has an Initiative score based on armor, modals, etc. This determines when they act within a round (turn). Characters only ever get one action (standard or casting) per turn.
Free actions resolve immediately and you can use as many as you want per turn.
Standard actions resolve immediately and you get one per turn. Attacks are a standard action, so are some spells and other abilities. A spell that is a Standard action cannot be interrupted.
Casting resolves the following turn, so a spell with a cast time can be interrupted in the period between the caster's Initiative lets them start casting and when the spell fires the next turn. Casting counts as your one action per turn, so you can't both attack and start a cast.

The system seems to favor classes with lots of free abilities which makes me think Wizards are stronger than ever since they have a bunch of free-action self-buffs. I might try out a Paladin/Wizard.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The quarterstaff and dagger proficiency modals that boost melee deflection don't seem to work at all? They aren't factoring into the displayed attack rolls.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Avalerion posted:

I seem to recall something about these only applying to melee weapon attacks, hence not showing up in your total.

Yes, they only apply to melee, but they do not show up in the combat log to-hit calculations against melee attacks.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Regarding turn-based builds, I've done some messing around and reading on forums and here are some takeaways:

Free actions are really important to consider. You're limited to one Standard or Cast action per turn, so having Free action abilities lets you do more in your turn. For example, the rogue Escape line of abilities lets you reposition and then attack or cast, which is very valuable since positioning is more powerful and controllable in turn-based. Paladin Exhortations are free actions, as are a bunch of wizard self-buffs.

I would say that wizard, rogue, paladin, and chanter (troubadour in particular) multiclass very well with most anything.

Wizards get a bunch of Free action self buffs and of course regular wizard spells which are good. You can pop Mirrored Image, Ironskin, Spell Reflection, Alacrity of Motion etc all at once then attack or cast. Bloodmage is very strong since Blood Sacrifice is a Free action, your spell casts are limited only by healing.

The rogue Escape line is very good for setting up positioning combos.

Paladins get very high defenses and Exhortations are Free actions, so you can quickly resurrect or suspend hostile effects etc.

Troubadour chanters seem very strong. Brisk Recitation allows you to chant two Phrases per turn instead of having one Phrase and one Linger. This has two benefits: you generate Phrases twice as fast, and you can chant the same Phrase twice in one turn which is great with the damage auras or Ancient Memory healing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Caphi posted:

what

That's more of a boost than it was in realtime, right?

I had a paladin/skald in my last file. I'm definitely going to start a TB file and I was going to wait until TB got patched one or two more times but I'm really considering rebooting her as a paladin/troubadour now.

I never really did much with Troubadour in realtime.

How chanters in TB work is every phrase has a duration of 6s and a linger of 3s (a round is 6s). In practice, this means a phrase is chanted for 1 round and lingers for 1 round, it would take super high Int to extend the duration to 2 rounds, I rolled a character with max starting Int (22 I think, +60% duration) and that plus the Troubadour +100% linger bonus was not enough to extend to 2 rounds.

The base Troubadour +100% linger bonus appears mostly useless currently, because you still can't get to a 2-round linger. However, Brisk Recitation allows you to chant two phrases in one round so you generate 2 Phrase points for Invocations per round and get two ticks of damage auras. I haven't played enough to see how it works with all the phrases, but when the character becomes active in a round, Soft Winds ticks twice immediately (though it only heals you once I think, dunno). I expect there may be some wonkiness.

You definitely generate Phrases twice as fast which is hugely powerful, there's really no downside to Brisk Recitation since you get two Phrase effects per turn while without it you get one Phrase and one linger effect.

edit: Chanters in TB have an easier time generating Phrases to cast Invocations in general because every chant phrase is one round. You don't slow down your Phrase generation by using higher level chants.

Also I feel like summons might be more powerful in TB but I need to play some more with it. Because every character only gets one action per turn, if they're attacking a summon you've negated their only action. Positioning is also easier to manage, throwing summons to gum up packs of monsters is very effective.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 14, 2019

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Caphi posted:

I looked it up and apparently Brisk Recitation is something like a 10% to 70% scaling speedup per chant? Making it two phrases per round seems like a massive early buff and not that much different at the end considering the extra benefit of getting two chant effects at once instead of 3 seconds of each?

I can't verify because I'm at work now, but Brisk Recitation is I think a flat -50% phrase duration in turn based mode. The math is a little weird/buggy with chant durations such that the Troubadour bonus of +100% linger duration doesn't actually do anything (I think you'd need 30 Intellect for +200% duration total) because it's not enough to extend the linger duration from 1 to 2 rounds. So there's no downside to Brisk Recitation.

How it works is you make your chant with two phrases, then when your Chanter's initiative comes up during a turn, both phrase effects immediately fire. For example, I just did two Soft Winds, so when my Chanter's turn came up every monster in range took two ticks of Soft Winds damage.

It's probably not intended to work that way. You don't get 3 seconds of each, you get a full round's worth of each phrase. Rounds aren't actually divided into seconds, it's just how things were converted from real-time to turn based. One round is the absolute minimum duration of an effect, there are no fractional rounds. The reason you see tooltips in seconds is they took all the durations in real-time and divided by 6s to get rounds, though some things were tweaked for balance.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
To clarify more on the turn-based Troubadour stuff:

All durations in TB are rounded to the nearest round, there are no fractional rounds even if some tooltips have durations in seconds.

Troubadour subclass has +100% linger duration and a Brisk Recital mode which disables linger altogether but gives -50% phrase duration.

All chant phrases have a duration of 1 round and a linger of 3s (=0.5 rounds). That 0.5 is rounded up to 1 round, but it means that the +100% linger duration subclass bonus is useless unless you have tons of Intellect to get to +200% duration total. Because 0.5 * 200% is still one round, you need 0.5 * 300% = 1.5 which would round up to 2 rounds linger duration.

The way chants work is when your chanter's Initiative comes up, the chant phrase effects fire. Brisk Recital fires two phrases at once, you don't get half a turn duration of one and half a turn of the other. You get the effects of both until your chanter acts again in the following round.

It's a bit wonky and probably not working quite like intended but Troubadours can generate Phrases really fast.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I think the best case for a single-class character is with offensive casters who want to do most of their damage with spells. Then you really want those last two power levels for penetration, damage, and AoE. Penetration in particular, since it's harder to boost your spell pen than with weapons.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Another turn-based mode observation which may or may not be true: Ciphers seem to be a lot weaker compared to RTWP. Ciphers in real-time benefited from alternating weapon attacks and spells. In turn-based their spells seem to really loving suck. When you only get one attack/cast per turn and your options are fairly lovely Cipher spells... meh.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 18, 2019

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Dear Rope Kid,

Please address the bug in turn-based mode where all the guards go hostile when you attack bounty tarrgets in town.

Thanks!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Digital Osmosis posted:

Drugs take a whole turn to use? drat! Yeah that kind of ruins drugmonks. I guess maybe that necklace that starts you ever fight high might still be worth a drat.

Solid points re: Pallegina, I'll look into modding her subclass.

Anyone want to talk me into or out of a party with no cipher / a multiclass cipher / a full cipher? I'm planning on having my PC be a bloodmage, so probably a bit more CC than DPS there, and eder a tactician so flanking skills are all kinds of useful. Is a full cipher necessary, overkill, somewhere in-between?

You definitely don't need a cipher, though they're nice.

I think you said you're doing turn-based? Here's a more general take on differences from real-time to turn-based.

Things that are better in turn-based:
Positioning, it's much easier to execute flanking and tricky positioning combos and moves.
Free actions. You can use as many as you want, being able to do more than one thing per turn is very useful.
Interrupts. You have infinite time to respond to an enemy casting a spell, so it's easy to have someone run over and use Knock Down or whatever to block their cast.
Short-duration DoTs. I think this is a bug, but DoT effects seem to apply immediately when used, then tick again when the affected character acts. For example, my chanter using Soft Winds of Death has a pulse of damage when he becomes active in a turn, then affected enemies get a second tick when they next become active. I dunno if that's intentional or not. But in general, 1 or 2-round DoTs get an extra tick at the beginning which makes them more powerful than in RTwP.
Heavy-hitting weapons. You only get one attack per turn, so higher base damage is better.

Things that are worse in turn-based:
Action speed and recovery buffs. You only get one action per turn no matter what, all that speed buffs do is determine when within a turn you'll act. It can be beneficial for casters to have low Initiative, but it's far less useful than in real-time. Since speed buffs are very common, this is probably the biggest change. Builds that stack recovery and speed to attack/cast fast are not really going to work.
Weapon summons. They take a full turn to cast, and you can't combo them with speed to maximize the number of attacks you get. If your weapon summon has a 5-round duration, you'll get a maximum of 5 attacks..
Drugs, potions, consumables in general as well as castables from items. They generally all use up your one action per turn.
Fast or light weapons. Again, you only have one action per turn so the faster attack speed doesn't do much for you.

I've actually found turn-based to be a bit easier. I think this has a lot to do with interrupts. I have three party members with cheap interrupt attacks so most of the time I can stop enemy spellcasts.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 24, 2019

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
As far as I can tell, prone/stun abilities interrupt enemies and entirely negate their action for the round? As in, they don't get to attack or cast a spell if they're proned or stunned.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Maybe that's it. I wonder too how much Int plays a role here. With high enough Int, could you make Knockdown prone last for more than a round?

In any case I can confirm Mule Kick is well worth the investment on turn-based. I'd consider it a must pick for Fighters.

yup I have Eder and Aloth running around as multiclassed Fighters with Mule Kick and Aloth in particular is basically an interrupt-bot

I can't overestimate how powerful interrupts are in turn-based, you can just totally annihilate casters

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 25, 2019

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Digital Osmosis posted:

A couple of Ranger questions! First off - Ishiza's immunity from engagement - does that come from him or from Maia's unique subclass? In other words, if I turned her into a sharpshooter or whatever, would he still be unengageable?

Secondly, a couple of questions about arcane archers. A bit of googling lead me to read people complaining about them being kinda bugged, did those every get fixed? Do the imbue skills still count as spells, and thus not get any weapon bonuses from ranger talents? Do they still mess up multi-projectile weapons? Do they bounce with bouncing weapons? Do they cast twice on weapons that go through people in a line? I guess I was considering making Maia an Arcane Archer / Tactician on the thought that Ishiza would be hard to flank and brilliant could be used to spam AA abilities, but if they're more lovely wizard spells than upgraded elemental ranger attacks it might not be worth it.

I dunno about Arcane Archer, but I've been using Maia as a ranger/rogue on PotD turn-based and she's my highest damage dealer. Rogue gives her the Escape ability for positioning and some strong passives, Arterial Strike is a great interrupt. Having an on-demand ranged interrupt is incredibly powerful in turn-based.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Digital Osmosis posted:

Maybe I'm better just going ranger / tactician and just using my brilliant inspirations to nonstop spam evasive fire. Are any of the shooty subclasses good in TB mode? Gunhawk? Sharpshooter?

Yeah Gunhawk or Sharpshooter are both fine. How well tactician works I think will depend on your difficulty level, certainly on PotD there's so many monsters it seems like it would be really tough to pull off having all enemies and no allies flanked without something like Phantom foes from a cipher.

I mean you can always switch things around with the console, if tactician doesn't play out too well, ranger/rogue is very strong.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PirateBob posted:

Okay, I like the sound of this. 2h/Greatsword is more my style though.

Attributes (turn based)?

imo:

Might is good for more damage and healing.
Perception is good for accuracy, you need to be able to actually hit things.
Intellect is good for longer duration and larger AoEs.

Constitution gives you more HP which is kinda eh. As a paladin you'll be plenty tanky as-is, leave it at 10 or put a couple points there if you want.
Dexterity is way less valuable in turn-based, just leave it at 10.
Resolve is also not really necessary.

I'd say put 16 in Might, Perception, and Intellect and 10 in Constitution, Dexterity, and Resolve.

You get lots of weapon proficiencies and there's no penalty for using a weapon without one, so you don't need to be super specialized into one weapon. Paladins are a great class for a newbie, they get high defenses, some good buffs/debuffs and healing. Plus you are encouraged to roleplay.

The game encourages you not to multiclass as a new player but paladin pairs really well with almost anything. Paladin/chanter and paladin/wizard are particularly strong imo. Both get summoning spells which are very helpful. I'd recommend your choice of paladin plus troubadour.

Don't get discouraged by the starter island, Gorecci Street and the digsite have some incredibly hard fights, it gets much easier afterward

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 27, 2019

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Prism posted:

I picked up the Spearcaster and have someone statted to use it now.

Arcane Bolts (15% chance to cast Minoletta's Minor Missile) or Elemental Bolts (+3% damage as Corrode/Burn/Freeze/Shock)? I don't know how powerful MMM out of it is, or if I should just take the +12% damage as random elements. I'm in turn-based, if it matters.

If the target dies from the actual shot, will the missiles hit somebody else?

Elemental Bolts is almost certainly better. MMM launches a handful of ~5ish average damage missiles, I dunno how the spell scales but at base I think it's 3-4 missiles? So Arcane Bolts is a 15% chance to do an additional ~20 damage versus a constant +12% damage which should easily be 10 points of damage every shot.

No, the missiles won't bounce.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

Each paladin order gets a different bonus. Bleak Walker's bonus is the only offensive one, and is a substantial damage bonus to Flames of Devotion, so they get recommended a lot for generic paladin builds.

Well, Steel Garrote also get the unique offensive Garrote skill which is quite strong.

All the paladin order bonuses are pretty good with the exception of the Darcozzi flame shield which is rather poop. The paladin subclass (order) bonuses are pretty minor compared to other classes, they mostly don't radically change or define your paladin build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PirateBob posted:

I've now started with Kind Wayfarer/Troubadour :unsmith:

18 Might, 10 Con, 7 Dex, 18 Perception, 15 Intellect, 10 Resolve

Is that reasonable for attributes (turn based)?

Yeah that will work great. You'll act pretty late in your turn but that's not a big deal. Take Soft Winds of Death as your starting chant, and keep Brisk Recitation on all the time. It's probably a bug but you'll get two ticks of Death which is awesome, and doubled chant phrase generation.