Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone else run into areas that seem weirdly blocky/pixelated?
Yeah, large patches of the old city look like they were rendered at 1/2 or 1/4 resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Doing most of the content in the game takes about 40-50 hours right now.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Xoti's lantern, right?
The sickle, too

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Spoilers for the last boss of the game, but also lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sFVh7QR5TA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3TIbLPr1DU

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 28, 2018

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

derra posted:

I love you Rope Kid
Meanwhile on Reddit:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
If that's accurate then I don't think this is technically diminishing returns, it's just the intuitively expected behaviour. If each point of dex adds 3% of your base speed then it has a linear benefit, and it's no more diminishing than the other offensive stats (and probably better due to other sources of scaling). Though the relative benefit does decrease as it goes up.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Zore posted:

Why would they put the most effort into something that the vast, vast majority of players will never interact with or see?

Like you'll note most PotD was a low enough priority in 2 that it clearly only had very preliminary tuning pre-release.
You could argue that it's easier to create a normal difficulty from a game balanced around a harder one by scaling down stats etc than vice versa. A system balanced for a majority of players is a lot less robust since it has to account for a larger variance in "suboptimal" play, eg players who never use consumables, players who miss all the good spells in the game, etc.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 4, 2018

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The difficulty thing was compounded by a completely non-functioning level scaling option. Like the game shipped with a checkbox that literally didn't do anything, which I'd consider a pretty bad bug as far as game launches go.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

isk posted:

Now, if they were to give Obsidian a pile of money and generally let them do their thing, that would be rad.
That seems a bit optimistic. The main reason Microsoft have been hoovering up independent developers is that they realised too late that the XBox needed more first party game support to actually compete, so I'd have to expect a hypothetical Microbsidian to be a lot more mainstream/console-focused. Not that PoE 3 or something like it would be out of the question as well, though.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
My hot take is there are good games that are real time as well as good games that are turn based

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
From last year, shortly after launch:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/999742102555705344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Trilobite posted:

I think that's the case? It's been a long-rear end time since I played the Infinity Engine games, but I seem to remember that they kept the tabletop concept of combat rounds. A fighter would get a certain number of attacks per round (based on level), a wizard would cast one spell per round, and so on.
The descriptions may have implied it but in practice I think "once per round" just meant "6 second cooldown" and there was no global round timer.