Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Haven't seen this mentioned, but if you having money issues, there's an island west of Neketaka with just a rice mill on it. I landed there and bought some supplies, and noticed it had a 50% discount, which also apparently applies to selling items to it. So after selling a bunch of superb and exceptional junk, i walked out with 200k, and immediately fully outfitted the junk, sails and hull and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

I recall someone posted a while back a good way to make money, but I can't seem to find it, so:

Any tips for making money and keeping afloat with crew costs, upgrading the ship, and actually equipping my characters with decent gear?

Yeah, there's a few rice mills around the map you can sell to at 50% discount, I made 300k after questing a while and just selling to them. THere's one a bit NW of Neketaka, one down on the south end towards the east on the map, and a third generic mill. You'll see the discount at the top left when you open, just save all your crap fine and exception gear and such until you can get back to one of these, never worry bout money again.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dairy Power posted:

End spoilers
Well, I got that the gods use souls to power themselves. There were two things I didn't get. The first was all the talk about life ending on Eora if the Wheel wasn't rebuilt (or left intact), since there would be no returning souls. If that's so, then what was happening before the Wheel was made? The second was that I didn't really understand the nature of the power struggle they were setting up between the kith and the gods. What would the gods being weaker mean for the kith? What would the gods and the kith working together mean? To what end? Maybe it's more that I just don't have a good idea of how the gods interact the kith outside of the Watcher.

I just finished and this is pretty much my exact impression too, the ending was just a bunch of words strewn together I didn't really connect with. It was weird for my kind wayfarer to be like.. well... i can't tell if any of this benefits anyone... tear it all down and maybe kith can learn and grow?

Also for that Rekvu's, I saw 3 different items(cloak, gloves, helm), each a variant on preventing death while having a wound. It would be neat to see more items in this set in the DLC, armor and weapons and such.

ratchild13 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 14, 2018

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

Re Mechanics skill, it seems like the only thing NPCs react to is actually taking things out of containers, just unlocking or disarming doesn't matter. So someone else can unlock red containers in plain sight and then I can swoop in stealthily to get the loot. Teamwork makes the dream work

It works quite well for the merchant containers, for example you can steal 50k worth of stuff from those idiot slavers on Crookspur, including the Patinated plate.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I tested this out a bit more.

If you get them to the "peace talks" stage and everyone's sitting down and talking -- and then you deliberately gently caress up the negotiations -- the two sides will break out and fight each other, and you get to kill everyone, or rather, one side gets stabbed in the back and then you have to kill off what remains of the other. It's a pretty hard fight at lower levels, but you get all the loot, which is not-inconsiderable, if gimmicky; it works a bit better if you say " fine, I give up, you can do whatever you want" because that's the option for the Valeras to attack the Bardattos, and if you pick the other option ("can't you people act like adults" or w/e) some of the valeras bug out and don't auto-die like they should.

Taking this route doesn't seem to piss off Pallegina or the VTC. I guess they assume you were doing your best! So you lose out on rep bonuses etc, and everyone dies and you break some other minor side quests, but hey, good loots, no rep loss.

For this, you can actually do the whole settle their feud thing, then go back in and just kill the Bardattos afterword for that sweet plate mail and vault loot. No one seems to care, but I was careful to not have Pallegina in my party anyhow. Best of both worlds.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm trying to read through the thread but it's huge and I thought I read somewhere in here that there are places on the map that let you sell your inventory for higher prices than normal? Should I be hoarding my stuff until then, and also what/where are these places?

Yes, there's a Mill south of Port Maje, and a few other on some other islands scattered around the map, one north of Dunnage on a island like an upside down U. They all have a base 50% discount, i was able to make hundreds of thousands of coins selling to them in my 2nd game. I'm PRETTY sure the 50% discount also applies when selling TO the merchant anyway.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm getting more weird bugs now than before this patch/DLC. Tekehu's portrait disappeared one game load, and on another, the under city map seems to have lost its Z-level mesh, and i kept walking under the ground until i exited all the way out of the game. Other than that, found BoW was pretty good, but apparently I missed the shield? Felt like I explored the whole pools area and the others, but there was a bit I couldn't find an access point to get to.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh yeah. You can even do the whole questchain, rob the vault, murder everyone in both families, and get everything. Just do it before Pallegina joins the party or without her in the party.

1) Stealth rob the vault on your own (you can do this at any point before triggering all the other quests, takes high mechanics, a few stealth buffs, sparkcrackers)

2) do the duel quest and resolve it peacefully

3) Do the quest to clear out the mercenaries from the Queen's Berth porch (you want to fight or pickpocket, good ring); get valero sails reward

4) Do the quest to discover the vault plot (talk to musician, go to The Hole and overhear plot)

5) return to Mr. Valero and Mrs. Bardatto and before turning in the vault plot quest, arrange for them to meet in a conference (you can do this earlier, probably best to do it ASAP)

6) turn in the vault plot quest for Bardatto Hull item

7) Go to the conference and make sure it fails, so you can loot all the bodies

if you do all that before recruiting Pallegina, no downside!

the conference fight is pretty difficult at ~level 10 or so though

As a note on this, if the Valero family tells you they don't have anything for you now, do the conference then, as if you wait too long, the next plot point occurs and you CAN'T make them go to the conference, you're either for them or against them at that point and they go hostile if you're not going to attack the Valeros. I waited too long on my monk playthrough, and now have to kill them, instead of letting them kill each other mostly :(

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Scorchy posted:

It's to the left of the stash.

I think you're referring to is just a category type button, the weapon or armor or accessory buttons. Sorting was in the first game, where you could sort by lowest value to highest, or type, such as all weapon types sorted next to each other. I too wish this could be added.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heironynmous, thanks for that info! I never realized the crew were restricted to 4 stars TOTAL, and wondered why some got 4 in one skill, and others maxed at 3. Sometimes during the post-battle summary of ship combat, you'll see the crew receive both ranks AND levels, but I've never found where crew levels were listed or shown, does anyone know what that affects, just how tough they are in boarding actions or something?

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Went to the San Diego Maritime Museum this past Sunday and they had live shanty performances, made me think of rope kid.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
That one was really tough, I kept way back at the edge of the platform on my 2nd try, and for some reason maerwald didn't engage. I had Pallegina and Eder off tank while i tried to AOE down the mirrors and phantoms, it took a long while, the phantoms weren't bad but the mirrors had pretty high defenses.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
A lot of the fights were challenging for SSS, I found several took a couple tries. Definitely not a good dlc for trial of iron blind. The one that got me cursin was the final double challenge fight, against the 5 cypher team. I beat it a few times, but they kept hitting one of my characters with disintegrate right at the end and perma-nuking them, had to retry a few times to actually not permanently lose someone. Still haven't beat that dang defend the researcher notes one yet, tried ranged party and mobility party, just can't seem to keep those desks alive.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Uhhh, this may be a dumb question, but how does the spell shaping work? I took the talent on Tekehu for example, and see the spell shape icon on some of his spells when casting, but how do i actually increase/decrease the AOE or such? I haven't seen any hotkey or anything like that for it.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks! Doing a ranger/cypher play through now, 4th one so far. Took a few of the challenges along with the blessings, and toting a child along in combat sure does get frustrating when you have no control over them. The food spoiling challenge is making me hesitant to try the vampire reef, since i don't have any int affliction immunity food. I think best way is probably make it and eat right away, then head there.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Man, the challenges can be a real pain, especially the 'tote Vela into combat' one. Was finishing beast of winter and I must have tried the last fight with the dragon 15 times, at about 40% health it does a dragon leap to the character with the lowest deflection it seems.... which is always Vela, so yay, instant game over. I tried flooding the battle field with item summons and chanter summons, interrupting shot from my PC ranger/cypher and Maia, even empowered, but could never get through the concentration. Even tried interruption consumables like potions and such, and paralyze spells, such as gaze of the adragan. Only thing that worked some was knock down from Eder, but he can only hit it so many times so fast. Finally went all the way back to the town and changed out Maia for Aloth, for the cocoon spell. Got all the way back to the dragon and.... talked him into going and fighting Rymrgand. The extra Arcana must have pushed me over into accessing that conversation option. Well, a win is a win.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've done Hylea and a couple others up through BoW and lvl 20, as a ranger/cypher. It worked pretty well, but was definitely super frustrating with the dragon in BoW, or other fights where usually rogue type enemies will do a teleport attack to the lowest deflection party member, which is always Vela. I'd just started the SSS fights but hadn't gotten very far, but I reckon some of those would be quite challenging. Extra summons or the protective cocoon spell are helpful to keep her safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Best way to resolve the feuding family quest is peacefully, then take Pallegina out of your party, then go back and kill 'em both for their sweet loots. This way, you can do quests for both families for the ship parts rewards, get the meeting to get 'em to work together... then get all the vault and dropped loot!