Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Xerophyte posted:

I just had my first Serafen wild surge where he suddenly exploded in lightning at the start of a fairly routine fight and instantly killed himself, my PC and fishboy. Pallegina survived at single-digit health; I had Serafen Robust-inspire her which I think was the only reason she lived. Fortunately the fight was in a narrow corridor and he blew up the two front baddies so Pallegina and Good Bird where able stay alive and shield Maia while she got some critical aoes down in the choke and cleared out the rest. Still I, uh, might not be fielding Serafen quite as often as I first thought.

i've had Serafen instantly wipe my party during long, arduous fights on PotD multiple times. he's unviable as far as I'm concerned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
Sacred Immolation's self-damage is insane. It does enough damage to almost kill Pallegina by the final tick.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
It's extremely clear they wanted the world state to go in this specific direction. Yes, it's an interactive medium but the world still has rules we aren't meant to violate (for now) no matter how much our brains have been poisoned by power fantasy video games. How would future games even handle branching alternate realities in which existence functions differently? Killing/stopping Eothas is the boring option because that means nothing changes.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
i respecced my cipher/rogue to dump mental binding and it gave me a bunch of fighter stuff including knockdown and constant recovery

Carew fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 7, 2018

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
A lot of the things people in here attributing the failures of PoE1/2 to exist in successful RPG's and sometimes in much more heinous forms.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Khizan posted:

Very few party member choices meant I'd be using almost the same basic party in every playthrough, or using a boring Inn NPC. Thaos is uninteresting as a villain. The second act has some huge pacing issues as well as being just generally boring storywise. Twin Elms is a failure as a large city area.

All this was true of DOS2 vanilla. The final act had pacing issues, Arx was a boring and buggy mess and it had even less party member choices.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
who cares whether or not people decide to swap out party members. if they stick with the same ones then presumable they really like them and are satisfied. who cares

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
I mean I assume one of the main reasons for spacing them out is precisely because you don't want to overwhelm players with a million companions and the complexity of controlling an entire party right away

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

ToxicAcne posted:

What do you guys think are the overarching themes in Deadfire's Narrative? I don't remeber it having anything as pervasive as the "Letting go" theme in New Vegas.
Edit: I guess it would be "Imperfect solutions are better than doing nothing at all"?

My 20 IQ take is it's about struggle against oppression and how cultures and societies are shaped through the process of resolving these conflicts. It's reflected in the tension between the Huana and forces of empire which seek to dominate and extract the Deadfire's resources, in the Huana themselves through the conflict between the Roparu and the ruling class (the Huana are also guilty of slavery), and in Eora in which all the metaphysical rules were imposed by a long dead civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
I thought the whole deal with the wheel was thematically consistent. The wheel and the gods are just a higher level extension of the major themes of emancipation and imperialism (from huana to everyone).

There are events that reinforce how unstoppable eothas is including one where the gods throw everything they have at him and fail. They knew the only chance was to talk him out of it and they establish that he won't listen to anyone except maybe you because of your connection and his love for kith. It was a massive long shot and they did signal multiple times that maybe this is just beyond you.

Your motivation as the watcher is to get your soul back; saving the wheel may or may not be a personal motivation since this was something tasked to you by the gods. We know that civilizations existed before the wheel/gods and that souls were being recycled somehow so destroying it doesn't necessarily doom everyone. It's been a while but I think the wheel was created to interfere with the "natural" cycle of rebirth and to juice up the gods, right? Big dicking it frees the world from the engwithan's forever cultural imperialism.