Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Battlebots is returning Friday May 11 at 8pm Eastern on the Discovery Channel.

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/992801134858330113

:getin:

Old thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
So I guess with Robot Wars canceled, Battlebots is the only combat R/C car robotics show left in the Western hemisphere.

Also liking the tournament format changes:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I love a creative novelty entry so Hamburger bot is automatically my favourite (even though it'll probably turn out to be useless). It even has a mini-bot slider on the side!

Sharkbot and chompy angler fish are equal second.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
why do they even let those wedge bots compete they're unstoppable as i recall

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Walrus posted:

why do they even let those wedge bots compete they're unstoppable as i recall

The new (since 2015) rules require every bot to have some kind of active weapon, so pure wedge bots are a thing of the past.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

The new (since 2015) rules require every bot to have some kind of active weapon, so pure wedge bots are a thing of the past.

what does the bottom right one in the image feature?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

The Walrus posted:

It's an active wedge

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love how Battlebots keeps lurching along. :v:

Will this be streaming anywhere? Does Discovery Channel even stream shows?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Coaaab posted:

So I guess with Robot Wars canceled, Battlebots is the only combat R/C car robotics show left in the Western hemisphere.

Also liking the tournament format changes:

Hmm, so they aren't even pretending this time. The championship tournament is based entirely on what the producers want for TV?

So it doesn't matter if you got a poo poo lady bug thing, if you're a cute girl, you get to compete for the golden nut.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I was disappointed why goonbot and ladybug bot isn't on the roster, but looks like those two are judges now:

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/984437134936358918

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

halokiller posted:

I was disappointed why goonbot and ladybug bot isn't on the roster, but looks like those two are judges now:

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/984437134936358918

Gonna call it:

Goonbot will win this year through some convoluted bending of the rules

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

One hour till robot fighting time! :toot:

The Walrus posted:

That's La Machine, the Battlebots creators original robot from like 1996. It's just a placeholder. There have been teases that it's covering a secret entry but it may just be trolling.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Too bad I don't have cable... Wish they made it possible to live stream from their website without having a cable subscription... I'd much prefer supporting battlebots/discovery channel directly, than having to do it through :filez:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

http://www.philo.com not an option?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I actually just remembered that Sprint got hooked up with Hulu... Not sure if Hulu gets Discovery shows the same day or how that works, but I am at least signing up for that to see if they will get the new episode tonight or not...

Although, for some reason they wouldn't let me sign up through my phone using WIFI and Sprint sucks dick, so who knows if I'll be able to complete the signup from home...

Edit - Looks like they just have old poo poo though, so it'll probably have to be :files:

Don't feel like paying cash just for Battlebots... Would watch it for free with ads if they had a way to do it.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 12, 2018

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Ok, Huge was a lot more effective than I thought it would be.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Spikey posted:

Ok, Huge was a lot more effective than I thought it would be.

I saw one of those huge wheels bend in the first seconds of the fight and I was like "Welp that's it" but somehow the danged thing just kept chugging.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Great episode! I like that they cut back on the fluff to show 5 battles per episode instead of 4.

Huge was great but the first spinner it faces is gonna destroy those wheels.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The new format kicks rear end. And crazy that the fourth best bout ended up being Tombstone vs Minotaur, that's the mark of an excellent episode.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pakled posted:

Great episode! I like that they cut back on the fluff to show 5 battles per episode instead of 4.

Huge was great but the first spinner it faces is gonna destroy those wheels.

They'll probably be ok. The plastic they're made out is incredibly durable and flexible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I actually just remembered that Sprint got hooked up with Hulu... Not sure if Hulu gets Discovery shows the same day or how that works, but I am at least signing up for that to see if they will get the new episode tonight or not...

Although, for some reason they wouldn't let me sign up through my phone using WIFI and Sprint sucks dick, so who knows if I'll be able to complete the signup from home...

Edit - Looks like they just have old poo poo though, so it'll probably have to be :files:

Don't feel like paying cash just for Battlebots... Would watch it for free with ads if they had a way to do it.

Battlebots is on Hulu?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

RBA Starblade posted:

Battlebots is on Hulu?

I dunno, maybe? Discovery Channel is on Hulu... but I literally just signed up for Hulu today, so really no idea if they will get Hulu.

That being said, I did just watch the episode.

Minotaur taking that many hits from Tombstone and still going strong is pretty amazing. Too bad they got stuck on the hosed up floor.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Minotaur taking that many hits from Tombstone and still going strong is pretty amazing. Too bad they got stuck on the hosed up floor.

Yeah, that really stood out to be. Minotaur must be a really solidly built bot because I don't think I've ever seen anyone take that many hits from Tombstone and keep ticking.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
During the fight Tombstone had its s7 tool steel bar, but for all the promos they showed Tombstone with an aluminum bar having S7 teeth. A napkin estimate of the cost of the aluminum alone on that bar was $2000. God drat.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

GuavaMoment posted:

During the fight Tombstone had its s7 tool steel bar, but for all the promos they showed Tombstone with an aluminum bar having S7 teeth. A napkin estimate of the cost of the aluminum alone on that bar was $2000. God drat.

Tombstone has multiple metal bars available for different opponents. And yea 250 pound bot battles is probably not a cheap hobby to get into...

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

If you guys are itching for some more robot combat, check out the Chinese Battlebots, The King of Bots

It's quite entertaining despite mainly being in Chinese. Ian Lewis is a judge and it would explain why Beta isn't here this season (both its builders were competing in China). Plus there's Megabyte. :911:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Great first episode! I hope this strategy of shred the gently caress out of the floor and high centre your opponent on it becomes a part of the emergent robot fight meta.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

GuavaMoment posted:

He's said before that due to bars breaking, motors burning out, and the frame needing frequent rebuilds that it costs about 1000 dollars per fight to run tombstone.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

They're putting 360 degree cameras on some bots during the matches and uploading to the Battlebots youtube channel. There's both normal and 360' versions of Lockjaw vs. Bombshell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQqUjjA7TQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap_1SURZzIM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They're also experimenting with a drone-mounted camera which was somewhat less than 100% successful :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk5sQS7TiZs

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

You got a bunch of professional combat robot drivers in one place and they couldn't find 1 idiot to fly a drone?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

With the size of that box and that drone looking like a racing quad it doesn't seem too bad to me. I crash my toy grade quads outside all of the time, though.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The air turbulence caused by the stage lights and that huge spinning bar probably don't help either.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Aw crap, had no idea Battlebots is back wooooooo

Anywhere I can watch the first episode?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

halokiller posted:

If you guys are itching for some more robot combat, check out the Chinese Battlebots, The King of Bots

It's quite entertaining despite mainly being in Chinese. Ian Lewis is a judge and it would explain why Beta isn't here this season (both its builders were competing in China). Plus there's Megabyte. :911:

I'm just watching the first episode of this (the first video in the compilation is blocked so it skips to the second video which is actually episode 1, just untranslated) and there's some great stuff in it. Skip the first 11 minutes if you just want to go straight to the first fight between Megabyte and Stingray, it's a good'un. But keep watching after that because the intro to the next fight is great, you don't need to know Chinese to be able to follow what's happening.

Their ring announcer's costume looks like a cross between a dominatrix and an anime character, maybe Faruq could pick up a few fashion tips from her. :v:

Edit: oh drat, in the third fight at 27:00 the pilots on one of the teams are dressed like Jaeger pilots from Pacific Rim with futuristic body armour (which is obviously motocross armour spraypainted black) and huge controller units on their arms and they've got a mini drone that's constantly scanning and updating fight coordinates but their robot is a lovely fuckin' wedge with pincers that constantly gets stuck on the arena floor. That's goddamned hilarious.

Edit 2: Fights 4 and 5 were pretty anticlimactic so they breezed through them pretty quickly. The team gimmicks were probably the most interesting aspects, one of the robots was a tall blue cartoon dinosaur.

Fight 6 was pretty :black101:, one of the robots got hosed up so badly that they draped a sheet over it when they wheeled its corpse out of the arena.

Fight 7 was anticlimactic, especially since one of the robots was a Tombstone clone called Whirlwind Cloud Breaker.

This wiki page has translations of all the robot names but it also has spoilers for every episode: http://king-of-bots.wikia.com/wiki/King_of_Bots_(Season_1)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 14, 2018

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Aw crap, had no idea Battlebots is back wooooooo

Anywhere I can watch the first episode?

Discovery channels website if you are in America and have your cable login. Amazon Video has it too https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1MWXXR

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
That was a good episode, glad this is back

The hits in that Minotaur/Tombstone battle reminded me of how fun watching this was as a kid

I still wish they would bring back the old middleweight division since that also had the best ratio of weapons/weight so you would just have bots getting turn up and sent flying constantly

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are ties allowed in the competition? I would have called the first fight and the rumble draws imo. The rumble was amazing.

Huge is cool, the wheels seem dubious tho. Sub-Zero got an awful draw, lmao

Tombstone v Minotaur, have mercy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a rare glimpse behind the scenes as a ragtag underdog team try to break into the big leagues of Battle Bots fighting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0T1247mi8Q

Edit: oh man, I was really excited when episode 3 of King Of Bots featured Wu Yulu, that Chinese farmer dude who became world famous for building crazy robots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_8-D7T6nkM

... but it turns out that he didn't even build the robot he was piloting for the battle, it was just a spare fighting robot made by one of the other competitors. Also it was a bar spinner and its bar was set so high that it couldn't even hit the robot they put it up against.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Discovery/status/997181484573364227

Witch Doctor vs Yeti should be fun

• Locked thread