Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

• Elaborate on the exact role your character played in the mutiny of the DNS Ceaseless.
  • Please describe a Bond with two other characters, one that is an affinity and one that is a rivalry. You can only pick someone that hasn't already been picked for either. It need not be two-sided, and you can and should welcome their input as well. This is something developed in the short time on the prison ship, or something that is just natural of their personality, it needed be immediately established. Like other Bonds, keying off it will provide Inspiration.
  • Name three rumors about your character: One positive, one negative, and one ambiguous. Choose a character you didn't pick as a friend or rival to have heard this rumor before of you. Then tell me in PM or on Discord which of the three is a lie, the other two must be true.
  • Describe a single (preferably maritime) superstition specific to your Culture.
  • I would lightly recommend switching Intelligence and Strength: We have a short supply of Strength, it will help you with Athletics on the deck and such, and probably serve you better overall.
  • I would also recommend considering firearms. I know you won't have immediate access but in the long term its higher damage output and will provide you some nice piratey theme. If you are worried about not maximizing your potential as a Fighter, there's the starwheel and also wearing a brace of pistols in true pirate fashion. Still! I leave it to you.
  • Suggested Role: Gunner. A ship's gunner is in charge of the ship's artillery, such as its cannons and deck guns. They lead the crew that are beneath the deck during a maneuver, and also are responsible for their maintenance, repair, and for acquiring new guns.

Mutinous Role: Rust was The Spearhead, leading the charge and cutting through the resistance by blade, bolt, and bullet. One of the first ones out of his chains, he was determined that if he was going to die, it was going to be on his terms and not by the tendrils of that powdered wig fop who thought he was the supreme being on the ship.

Bonds:

Affinity: Dermid FitzCulainn
Dermid and Rust were birds of a feather. None of the others are familiar with the pirate's life as Dermid and they were able to bond in their captivity over their shared life experiences.

Rivalry: Quill Scribbling
Rust lived a pirate's life and theft was no moral compunction, but it's always for greater purpose. There was a code, and you don't steal from your comrades. Kenku were already notorious for stealing from friend and foe alike just to advance their collection of shiny baubles in their roost. After the mutiny, Rust is keeping an eye on the bird brain and keeping a hand on his purse whenever he's around.

Rumors

Johann, with his knowledge of the sea lanes and the privateers that use to fly COG colors identified the miniature silver skull that Rust wears around his neck as proof of his heritage of a son of the Dread Freewind. It is known that all his 'true' children bear similar necklaces and they all guard them fiercely.

Ranka in her time travelling the world have seen posters on occasion for a man fitting Rust's description wanted for savagely beating a man to an inch of his life. There is an open inquiry into it in some of the far Southern outposts of the Dominion.

Seccacosantza Tolto: Has heard courtly rumors before of a noble daughter's heart taken sway by one claiming to be the blood of Freewind. Based on the description she gave, Rust seems to be the right age and the description of the scoundril, while exaggerated, seems like it could fit the bill.

Superstition

When casting off from port, it is considered bad luck if you do not pour a bottle of rum or wine overboard as a gift to the sea. Peril befalls the captain that does not do so.

Suggested Role:

I'm fine with being the gunner, though I can always be relief pilot if the situation calls for it.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm not familiar with any firearms UAs or of the feat support therein so I was titchy about going full gunnery. He can make crossbows work since they would be more effective in water and he is also a stealth bastard so it would work better in quiet ops. If I knew a bit more about fireamrs templates and such I would be more comfortable in making that transition to a brace of pistols or what have you.

The stealth angle I can dig, but here are the houserules I put together for firearms: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WEE2VkzCm__v6c1Mm-Ckh2DfOCd9GO0XKmRU91CN4cM/edit?usp=sharing

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado

Elaborate on the exact role your character played in the mutiny of the DNS Ceaseless.

Please describe a Bond with two other characters, one that is an affinity and one that is a rivalry. You can only pick someone that hasn't already been picked for either. It need not be two-sided, and you can and should welcome their input as well. This is something developed in the short time on the prison ship, or something that is just natural of their personality, it needed be immediately established. Like other Bonds, keying off it will provide Inspiration.

Affinity: Dermid. Jan'ti is a bit brusque in general, carrying herself with no uncertain pride. This can be nearly unbearable when she speaks the common tongue but is almost charming in Primordial, the only language she has ever spoken to Dermid in. The two bonded when a couple of Minotaur took issue with Dermid's dishonorable reputation and Jan'ti backed him up. The only problem is he hasn't been able to lose her since.

Rivalry: Mazhar. Jan'ti been trying to prove herself to Mazhar after he saved her life during the mutiny. She keeps her back straight and almost always looks the minotaur dead in the eye. This doesn't mean she isn't curious and cordial, often even friendly as far as she goes. Jan'ti just wants Mazhar to know that she is strong and she'll go to great lengths to prove it.

Name three rumors about your character: One positive, one negative, and one ambiguous. Choose a character you didn't pick as a friend or rival to have heard this rumor before of you. Then tell me in PM or on Discord which of the three is a lie, the other two must be true.

Describe a single (preferably maritime) superstition specific to your Culture.

Tell me more about Dagon and what, if any, role he plays in your life, and what you do to honor and propitiate the gods.

GenuineRevelry fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 13, 2018

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Elaborate on the exact role your character played in the mutiny of the DNS Ceaseless.

In the initial planning stages of the mutiny, Dermid was to play a major role later. He was to help navigate the ship towards safety. Unfortunately, the plan never ended up getting that far. It is possible that the flashes of lightning that Dermid conjured from his sorcery may have attracted the attention of the blue wyrm that attacked the ship. However, despite the near total destruction of the ship, he still tried his best to uphold his part of the plan.

When the blue dragon left with it's bounty, and the Ceaseless quickly turning into a sunken wreck, Dermid climbed up to the navigator's wheel and tried to steer the sinking ship towards the nearest landmass that he could reckon they were close to before passing out from exhaustion and minor wounds.

quote:

Please describe a Bond with two other characters, one that is an affinity and one that is a rivalry. You can only pick someone that hasn't already been picked for either. It need not be two-sided, and you can and should welcome their input as well. This is something developed in the short time on the prison ship, or something that is just natural of their personality, it needed be immediately established. Like other Bonds, keying off it will provide Inspiration.

Affinty: Rust Freewind is a kindred spirit, a son of a pirate lord, caught in a bad situation. In that, the two of them found commonality while on the prison hulk, talking about the various adventures they had on the high seas. It was one of the only things that kept Dermid sane, locked up and away from the feeling of wind on his face.

Rivalry: Having someone who's cursed on board is just plain bad luck. Lucielle Valentine is cursed, and having her on board is going to bring the ship and crew no end of trouble. While she is my crewmate, and I will trust her, I will only spend as much time around her as I have to. There is no point putting myself in danger any more than I have to.

quote:

Name three rumors about your character: One positive, one negative, and one ambiguous. Choose a character you didn't pick as a friend or rival to have heard this rumor before of you. Then tell me in PM or on Discord which of the three is a lie, the other two must be true.

Positive: Mahzar is aware that Dermid is an honourable sort, and is known to not capsize ships and spare lives out of either kindness or conscience.

Negative: Johann knows that you should never play Dermid in a game of Liar's dice or poker. He either cheats, has the wind's own luck, or is so damned good at deception and reading people that it's just a bad idea to do so.

Ambiguous: Secca has heard that Dermid is incredibly superstitious, and follows almost all the classical sailor's superstitions of his culture.

quote:

Not a single Verani will set foot on land without a vial of sea water. It's bad luck to be away from the sea, as she is capricious and will chastise you on your return. But if you take her with you, she will appreciate seeing new sights and she will grace you with fair weather and sailing.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 12, 2018

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have set up the roll20 with a basic map and the beginning of sheets, will add people to the proper ones as we go and build on it over the weekend. Please join the roll20 game here: https://app.roll20.net/join/3305564/faqaiw

As a preview for others, he is a map of the unnamed island the PCs are waking up on:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Mutinous Role: Planning a mutiny is no small feat. Communication is king when trying to overthrow Dominion filth, so it's no surprise that Ranka was looped in early on in things with the Ghostwise's ability to send their thoughts to others.

The early hours were rough, but soon enough there was a system in place allowing for the passage of messages. Hacking coughs, extended blinks, and fingers drumming along walls helped to carve out the beginning ideas, but from there she was able to quickly lash together scattershot missives and then carve them down into more organized thoughts with her co-conspirators before passing them along to everyone within range.

It took several days and several mock fights, resulting in trouble prisoners either being moved, to get the message out to the majority. She could have waited a touch more in hopes of fully getting the message out, but it was only a matter of time until someone in possession of the plans was chosen by the Captain and would spill the beans to avoid his appetite. If the mutiny was going to happen, well it had to happen then.

Bonds:

Affinity: Seccacosantza Tolto
Ranka isn't really used to traveling among the tall folk, but the occasional snippet of her mother tongue falling from Secca's lips warms her heart on occasion, even if the girl's pronunciation isn't very good.

"I've heard her play a time or two when we're not focusing on survival, and I'm finding it hard to resist getting back into the habit of playing this old flute again."

Rivalry: Jan'ti the Corpsewitch
The Ghostwise religion isn't particularly organized, but their thoughts and opinions on the things that lurk in the dark; particularly demons and their ilk, are incredibly strong. It's disappointing to them that very few of the land religions actually pay more than a passing glance to the threat the demons represent.

With most people practicing their faith Ranka can brush it off their perceived ignorance as them paying worship to other aspects of the world, but the similarities between the Tempest aspect gods and the Ghostwise's spirituality becomes somewhat abrasive with how lightly the core sects take the demonic threat.

(TDN was saying on Discord how the other than the Ghostwise, most religions only cover demonology with a fairly broad brush. Don't wanna step on any toes if Jan'ti wants to have delved deeper into that side of things. At least it'll be a pretty easy rivalry to resolve if she has :v:.)
Rumors:

Positive: Heard by Dermid FitzCulainn
A Heart of for Gold: Folk's know not to get in the way of a Ghostwise bounty hunter on the path toward their people's relics, but if she comes for you for other reasons? Well, enough coin and a sob story will set her sights back to things related to her people's interests.

Negative: Heard by Quill Scribbling
The Bloodthirsty: Her wanted poster doesn't reflect it, but there were reports some time ago of a halfling fitting her description being a copy-cat of an old serial killer.

Ambiguous: Heard by Johann
The Bloodhound: Rumor travels in the underground circuits quickly, sometimes bubbling up into common knowledge. It's said that Ranka can taste a dead man's blood and track down his compatriots with an unholy zeal.

Superstition:
"The Sea is a hungry thing that must be fed, lest the things that dwell in the deeps come looking for food."

Ghostwise funerals are solemn affairs and they happen as soon as physically possible. The raft will stop at nothing to get to the coast and then will risk a small distance out to open sea. It's an unceremonious moment as the corpse is dumped, weighted down, into the sea. The creatures in the depths need to be sated lest the Sea's rage come to bear on the Ghostwise again.

There aren't many proper Ghostwise sailors out there, but you'd be hard pressed to convince them to keep the body of a dead person on board, at least not for very long if the Sea hasn't been offered anyone to eat recently.

Ship Role: I'm perfectly fine playing the Quartermaster. My background gives me criminal contacts in any city we visit, which I can use to help with crew/resupply. I'm personally a bit obsessed with enforcing order on things, so tracking how much food/water/grog we have is a side benefit for me!

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 12, 2018

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Being a fierce warrior, the flayers had taken no small amount of precautions to keep Mazhar secure until they reached the penal colony. Beyond heavy chains around his limbs, he was also kept in an isolated cell, away from most other prisoners - so the mutiny came as much as a surprise to him as to his prisoners. Never one to pass up such a golden opportunity, however, Mazhar tried to get the attention of whomever was outside his cell; once they helped him free himself, he charged ahead of the pack to make himself the primary target for the mindflayer admiral's wrath.

It's hard to notice blades coming for your liver when there's 350 lbs. of angry minotaur trying to rip your face tentacles off.

Affinity: Mazhar would never have expected to enjoy the company of an Ornassian; but Jan'ti's singular drive, determined personality and her mastery of his native tongue was everything he never expected from any Ornassian. It brings him relief to be able to converse in his mother tongue, when all those who spoke it with him before are now dead or worse; and besides, he likes her lack of pleasantries and brusque mannerisms.

Rivalry: Ranka Volyn is careless, and their need for drink will lead her - and the other survivors - to ruin if it's not kept in check.

Positive: There is a Sarnathqar noble, a young elven woman only recently having come into power. She claims her continued existence is the result of a mercenary minotaur, who went out of his way to keep her safe from the conflict she had found herself accidentally embroiled in while travelling. Secca has most likely, like other Sarnathqar courtiers, heard the name of this minotaur, and the noblewoman's incessant (and perhaps foolish) quest to find him once more so she can repay the debt.

Negative: As an Ornassian scribe, Quill Scribbling has no doubt heard many things about Hyklosian culture that most would consider barbaric. Perhaps, even, they have heard about the warrior known as Red Gorgon; who, it is said, is so named for an implacable dedication to his goals, and the blood of his brothers that has soaked deep into his horns, that the warrior wears as a badge of pride. They might have also heard how there was always going to be a Red Gorgon among the three bothers, before their training ended; it was Mazhar's skill and ruthlessness that meant it was him, and not his late siblings.

Ambiguous: Mercenary companies with a name for themselves inevitably end up with admirers and enemies alike. Dermid may have heard of the Claws of Wosret in his time as a privateer, and how at the head there were three minotaurs; one captain and two lieutenants. One of those lieutenants, the Headsman, had his place the vanguard, the rock upon which the enemy charge would break, the hammer to splinter their shields. This Headsman was also known to call out enemy lieutenants to duels, upon which it was agreed that the losing party's men would be spared and sent on their way. While some agreed to this duel, the men of the Headsman's opponents were not always in agreement with this deal; and so battle would nonetheless ensure; but always, the Headsman would spare them death, as he had promised their leader, and simply leave them beaten, to linger on their loss.

To Hyklosian sailors, the ship one sails on is their home away from home, and everyone is expected to contribute to the ship's safety and quality, until they no longer can. To represent this bond with their ship, they are expected to mark themselves with some kind of identifying brand (i.e. if the ship is called The Phoenix, perhaps the mark is a tattoo of a feather ablaze). Sailors with more tattoos are therefore considered bad luck and thoroughly distrusted; after all, if they were good at their job, why did they serve on so many ships? Unmarked sailors are therefore considered rookies or apprentices, generally.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 12, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

• Elaborate on the exact role your character played in the mutiny of the DNS Ceaseless.
  • Please describe a Bond with two other characters, one that is an affinity and one that is a rivalry. You can only pick someone that hasn't already been picked for either. It need not be two-sided, and you can and should welcome their input as well. This is something developed in the short time on the prison ship, or something that is just natural of their personality, it needed be immediately established. Like other Bonds, keying off it will provide Inspiration.
  • Name three rumors about your character: One positive, one negative, and one ambiguous. Choose a character you didn't pick as a friend or rival to have heard this rumor before of you. Then tell me in PM or on Discord which of the three is a lie, the other two must be true.
  • Describe a single (preferably maritime) superstition specific to your Culture.
  • You should also have the Margrey language.
  • I need you to detail in exact wording your character's Purpose per being a Revenant: mark it as in addition to your Ideal, and like other Traits, it can give you Inspiration, but it also marks when you can die again.
  • Can you let me know what Pact Boon you intend to take for my story planning?
  • Suggested Role: Pilot. A ship's pilot is its helmsman, standing at the wheel through long shifts and bearing the storm and arrows, and sometimes acting as navigator. Often this role is also controlled in part by the captain, and can be very demanding.

* Due to his EXTREME unwillingness to obey orders from the Mindflayer crew and astounding regenerating capabilities, Johann was kept at lock and chain at the ship's brig, his mouth and his hands tied in order to prevent him hexing any of the Dominion sailors. While he wasn't involved with the start of the mutiny, he was the first to be freed once it took place, and immediately set out to fight against the tentacled captain.

* Mazhar was Johann's companion as they left the brig, and while they barely said words to each other at all before the mutiny, the two of them worked perfectly in concert as they fought they way against the Ceaseless' guards.
Dermid might not remember it, but his ship once collected tribute from Johann's former flute before he helmed the Seahawk, which left a lingering resentment from the revenant against the corsair.

*From Quill's memories: This human is quite familiar, isn't he? When Quill worked at the Imam's behest back home, he remembered seeing a human who had similar complexion bringing him a stack of books that the library bought from Be'el Maar. Yet that young, earnest and polite teenager doesn't have much to do with this smoldering fellow.
From a Guilder's Bounty Poster issued by the Seahawk Lodge that Ranka once saw: It's said that he was thrown out of his ship for entering a maddened rant about the dark gods of the Ennead before leaping to this death as if possessed.
From a drunken tavern patron that Rust once heard from: "I tell you, this was the most ludicrous thing I saw in my life. So our crew was taking a rest at this place on the Starfall, a little island that we used to resupply and sell our booty when suddenly a man emerged from the sea, dressed in these drenched rags and with his hands chained to a large iron ball and he asks us what the direction to Khazadan is. While most of us took to swords and a bunch started praying to the Nine Saints, the first mate stammered 'it's this way' and pointed far to the distance, and the ragged man just ignored us and went to that direction, entering the sea again!"

* There's a certain custom around the Guilders to throw a single golden coin whenever they start a voyage by sea as a 'bribe' to the deities and spirits that rule the depths in order for them to travel safely.

* Johann's Purpose is to "Get revenge on everyone who was at the Seahawk at the time he was killed and against Grandmaster Casimir"

* Blade of course.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 12, 2018

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Game thread is up.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm at a concert tonight, will get my first post up tomorrow at work.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm not in Roll20 at home yet and I can't pull it up at work due to filtering, Orokos will probably have to due when I workpost.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some notes I took on time in this setting, which will be a little important later as we start measuring it, especially during travel and downtime.

Time in Uskara
People tend to measure time in Uskara using hourglasses or by the position of the sun, though Guilder clockmaking is an option for those with coin, but still requires a lot of maintenance. On a ship, usually there’s an hourglass, and the Uskaran conception of an hour is equal to about two hours in our parlance, divided into four quarters of the day, and three hours per quarter.

Any time an ability says it last an hour, it uses the Uskaran version of an hour. A short rest is “one half hour.” You only need 3 Uskaran hours of rest to qualify for a long rest, it’s assumed that as mariners you are acclimated to living with less sleep than most people. Each Uskaran hour has 120 minutes, divided further into 60 seconds.

The times of the day are organized as such, based on old Sarumite names for different prayers to be done to the Nine Saints:

Matins “Morning” (4a-6a, 6a-8a, 8a-10a)
Lauds “Daylight” (10a-12p, 12p-2p, 2p-4p)
Vespers “Evening” (4p-6p, 6p-8p, 8p-10p)
Nocturns “Night” (10p-12a, 12a-2a, 2a-4a)

Second Laud and Second Nocturn are “noon” and “midnight” respectively. Second Matin and Second Vesper tends to correlate with “dawn” and “dusk” respectively.

Each month is 30 days, divided into 2 weeks of 15 days each, waxing and waning respectively, as it is lunar based. The actual phases can be a little more dubious, but the first day usually has a new moon, and the 15th day a full moon. The term "fortnight" actually refers to 7 days, or about half a week.

The actual months are based on the French Republican Calendar, with the original names preserved and in use by the Imperial Calendar, but Dominion and Guilder calendars use the more common translation for the month names. Included is the closest equivalent to our months. The year begins with Reaping and ends with a five day (six days on a leap year) Festival season.

Autumn
Reaping (Vendémiaire) (September)
Misting (Brumaire) (October)
Frosting (Frimaire) (November)

Winter
Freezing (Nivôse) (December)
Raining (Pluviôse) (January)
Breezing (Ventôse) (February)

Spring
Planting (Germinal) (March)
Blossoming (Floréal) (April)
Growing (Prairial) (May)

Summer
Pruning (Messidor) (June)
Burning (Thermidor) (July)
Fruiting (Fructidor) (August)

Notation tends to go as follows: III Matins, 3 Frosting 1077, for hour, day, month and year.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some housekeeping, as I missed giving the full amount of equipment that Ranka was able to scrounge so going to list it here.
  • two backpacks
  • a shovel
  • a bedroll
  • two mess kits
  • a set of manacles
  • a flask of oil
  • a cast iron pot with a love letter in Grunnish crudely etched in the side
The steel anchor works identically to a greataxe, including for purposes of encumbrance weight, in Mazhar's hands.

The harpoon is a variant of javelin, often with a line though not always. It has a new weapon quality: Grasping: If you have a grasping weapon in hand, you have advantage on all checks to mount a larger creature. Other weapons that have the grasping quality are the war pick, whip, and fishing gaff (as spear otherwise). Though the harpoon and fishing gaff are otherwise identical to a combat ready weapon, they are also more fragile, so take note.

As well, saving Desider's life granted the party 5 XP, while naming the Lagoon netted 2. After the halfling is secure. we'll be at 12/100, most likely. I'll be tracking experience, along with hero points and villain points, on the spreadsheet.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
We're getting ready to wind down for the net day, think I have one or two more things really to resolve before we move to a "circle around the fire" type discussion. Please post here what of the treasure you are claiming, if any so we can clear that up.

This is what I know some people are going to do:
- Jan'ti is going to forage in the salt marsh. She rolls 1d6+Wis and 1d4+Wis to get food (lbs.) and water (gallons) respectively. Anyone who joins her rolls a 1d6/1d4, but does not add Wisdom.
- Ranka is going to forage in the lagoon. She rolls 1d6+Wis to get food (lbs.). Anyone who joins her rolls a 1d6, but does not add Wisdom.
- Quill is going to be casting some ritual magic, first to purify water to get 80 gallons full in the two barrels back at camp, and then identify any magical items in the treasure by the time everyone gathers for the fire.
- Someone may want to bury the bodies, or otherwise dispose of them. There's enough that it will take a good solid hour to do.
- There isn't much more salvage that can be picked without going into that tunnel, or one of the two shipwrecks in the shallows, and the tide is rising pretty fast, it will probably have to wait.
- If you want to interrogate or discuss anything with the other NPC castaways (Desider, Urszula, or Nax) say so here or hit me up on Discord.
- If you have any other ideas of how to spend the time, just say so, so we can get an idea of how things will move next and narrate through it to get the whole gang together.

Two other things I need to establish just for future reference: What is the party marching order? Are you vanguard, rearguard, or second or third rank? This will be important in other cases. Only those in the van or rear can make Perception checks to detect danger, but those in the second and third ranks will be more defensible.

Second, who wants to take first, second, and third watch? Its probably a good idea if a non-spellcaster takes third watch, but otherwise this gives a default whenever you make camp. I can and may ask each time, but this at least tells us for now who will be there for each moment.

Tomorrow afternoon or evening I'll likely bring us together for the fireside chat, but don't feel pressured to answer all of this by then. Time is fluid, until we need it not to be.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

From the salvage, Secca plans to claim the invitation, the silk coat, and the pistol with some ammo. I assume that a waterskin/backpack/bedroll are uncontroversial.

As for activities, she'll be joining Ranka in scrounging up some crabs in the remaining time before dusk... if only to try and sneak an extra few for her new companion. Rolled up another six pounds of 'em.

For marching order, I think that somewhere in the middle works. Third rank if I have a ranged weapon, second rank if not.

First watch for sure.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 19, 2018

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Ranka is claiming the wooden puzzle box and a waterskin. She's differed her cut of 9 shares of gold to Nax. She'll also put hands on the Carpenter's Tools Johann found if he reveals their whereabouts.

She gathers 6 pounds of seafood to add to the camp storage.

Ranka is likely in the Vanguard. I'll be picking perception up at level 2 and my face can take a punch in case some enemies show up out of nowhere.

I don't have any strong Opinions, so I'll just slap her down for Mid Watch If things end up very unbalanced we can shuffle her around.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 19, 2018

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Dermid will be a part of First Watch, and he'll take the silver ring.

I think we're going to have to split bedrolls, considering there's 9 of us and only 4 bedrolls.

For marching orders, Dermid would serve best in the midline, to avoid getting ambushed in the back or having to risk the brunt of a full frontal attack.

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado
Jan'ti will:

- forage in the salt marsh and returns to camp with 7 lbs. of food and 7 gallons of water
- take first watch
- march in the rear, even with a shield Jan'ti's AC is 13 and she's got the highest Perception mod in the party at +5.

From the salvage, Jan'ti plans to make an uncontroversial claim by taking a backpack. She's been given a waterskin by Quill. For better or worse, most of the salvage doesn't seem to appeal to her and Jan'ti makes no particular effort to take a bedroll limited as they are. She will express interest in the silk coat but cede it to Secca (or whoever else is interested) while making it very clear that she's also looking for well, actual clothes.

GenuineRevelry fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 19, 2018

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I don't have Purify Food/Water prepared, but since no magic was cast it shouldn't be too problematic to say I prepared if it's okay with the GM? Then I'll do what was stated.

Also hey the Kenku is a Cleric and none of you knew this does that raise any comment at all?

-Quill is waiting on the results of his identifying, but immediately he'd like to claim the Writing Kit and a Waterskin. He doesn't care much for money right now so he'll pass on his share.

-Quill would prefer First or Last Watch, he doesn't exactly have Darkvision or high Perception so the darkest part of the night is out.

-Quill is a Con 11 Squishy Boy with not exceptional perception, so he'll sit in the Third Rank

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 19, 2018

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Mazhar will take a split of the gold, as well as a backpack, and a water skin. He has no interest in the other things. He will take second watch if nobody else wants it, and will take the vanguard position or the rear - his perception isn't great, but it's something, and he's also the only real meatshield of the group so he should probably go in the riskiest position.

As for activities, since they're already there, he will help Jan'ti forage in the salt marsh.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Lucy will

- Take the one of the Sabers, as well as a backpack, and bedroll. She already has a waterskin from Quill, so that's covered.
- Help Jan'ti and Mazhar forage for food/water.
- Lucy is fine going for either First Watch or Last Watch.
- Lucy will take second rank. She's a fighter, but she's not as hardy as some of the other PCs in the group, and she doesn't have much in the way of perception.
- Lucy will also make a note that she gets first dibs on whatever comb they might find. Gotta make sure she takes care of that long hair of hers. :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Johann will take his share of the Gold and the Potion, a Backpack and the Breastplate. He will also take care of the gravedigging and stand at the mid line when going with the others. Regarding watch duties, second watch will probably do although the lack of nightvision might hamper. Good thing that flint might help with torchmaking purposes.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 19, 2018

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Time for some housekeeping, now that we're finally a place for a more casual round-fire discussion between the PCs, to plan their next steps for getting off the island.

Rust, hit me up on Discord when available for your side conversation with Nax, when you get a chance. We can assume it happened either before or concurrently with the campfire discussion.

Quill manages to identify three magical items.
  • the compass is mildly magical: the direction it points to is the nearest source of alcohol, which points towards the shipwreck that is out near the sandbar
  • the scroll is a spell scroll of bless. Luckily, Nax is able to translate the transcription from you, as he knows the script of the mind flayers, allowing you to use it.
  • the potion grants the ability to adhere to surfaces like the suckers of a squid: this includes advantage on grapple checks and a climb speed of 30ft until the next sunrise after using it. There is enough for two doses.
I distributed all the equipment found and picked up on the spreadsheet. I decided that backpacks would add +15/30 to your encumbrance limits (though not to max carrying capacity). I made a few minor changes that if anyone has any issues with, please let me know:
  • Adjusted for the ammunition used in the last fight.
  • Everyone has a backpack and waterskin, and everyone but Jan'ti, Johann and Ranka have bedrolls.
  • Added the arquebus to Lucielle's inventory to give her a ranged option.
  • Added the caviler to Rust's inventory, as he is the best able to use it.
  • Switched the rapier and cutlass (scimitar) that Rust and Lucielle had. Lucy as a rogue isn't proficient with scimitars and Rust would be, and it fits their respective swashbuckler and buccaneer themes.
We are doing double watches. At ebb tide, which is just before dawn, you will have the best chance to explore the two shipwrecks in the shallows before the tide comes in and they become mostly flooded. You will need light sources. The four people on first and second watch will not be available for any encounters there, as they will be sleeping.

First Watch: Secca and Lucielle
Second Watch: Mazhar and Johann
Third Watch: Quill and Ranka

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
For the purposes of planning out your day, you probably can do each individually 4 "expeditions"/encounters (e.g. going to a shipwreck, going up a river inland, going into the lava tubes) in addition to normal foraging and camping. Thus the advantage of splitting up would be getting more done in a day. I will tell you OOC that you will be interrupted half-way through the next day by a storm (something Jan'ti with her druidcraft can predict) and some Plot. You can also add an extra one by going out before dawn, but obviously it will be dark. Those who are on first and second watch can't go out before dawn, and those on third watch won't be able to forage unless they use one of the other four "slots." Trying to keep this mostly abstract but I do want to encourage, with the larger party, splitting up when appropriate.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Alright, so I've been doing some work to get this organized on the sheet and had some thoughts:

—It'd probably make sense to split the five pre-dawn explorers into two groups so that we can hit Shipwreck F and Shipwreck G in one day.
—Quill has mentioned wanting to explore the Spider Lava Tubes to get his book and the gear there. He... probably shouldn't go alone.
—I think it'd be good to clear out the Beach Lava Tubes to see if that's where the missing salvage went and, indeed, stop us from getting ganked by people or critters coming up out of nowhere.
—I'd also like to head Upriver and see if we can't get a foothold/forward camp/whatever started up off the beach.
—TDN has mentioned that prepping the camp for the storm would be helpful.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
If we can go back and find the hermit crab in the keg, that'll probably be another full days food out of that. It'll stretch out our foraging to last longer at the very least. That could be a good thing for me and Mazahar to work on before dawn.

Ranka could probably use her woodworking skills to make a drying/preservation rack to start preserving fish for rations when we leave. We'll probably never want for water as long as the druid is around but food is still a concern.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Ranka could probably use her woodworking skills to make a drying/preservation rack to start preserving fish for rations when we leave. We'll probably never want for water as long as the druid is around but food is still a concern.

There's no fish around, but making a drying rack so we can start making bug jerky is high up on my list of things to do.

Gonna scour the nearby locales for any loot before the storm gets rid of the good stuff and then work on quick converting the sloop into a more permanant shelter for us to weather the nights out.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Successful Businessmanga posted:

There's no fish around, but making a drying rack so we can start making bug jerky is high up on my list of things to do.

Gonna scour the nearby locales for any loot before the storm gets rid of the good stuff and then work on quick converting the sloop into a more permanant shelter for us to weather the nights out.

SHARK IS FISH TOO :saddowns:

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DeathSandwich posted:

SHARK IS FISH TOO :saddowns:

The sharks are evidence that beyond the shallows, down in deeper waters, you might find some fish still in the reefs, but that's not very easy to do unless you have tackle or some means. Spearfishing generally requires you have something solid beneath you, unless you want to go shark hunting and well, that has its own challenges.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
If there are no objections, I'm going to take on rolling via orokos for Perception checks during the three night watches, and for initiative on future encounters, to keep things at a clipped pace.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sure, no problem.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going to assume the characters would have known to taken some time to make some torches. By heating up some of the wood cut from from trees in the jungle, you could get some tar-pitch and create two, one for each expedition to each of the shipwrecks. Remember that these are before dawn so it's dark. By default I'm going to assume you have the NPC hold the torch, so that the rest of you have both hands open, though feel free to say that your character is the one holding the torch. A lot going on I know, but since your casters don't have the light cantrip, it's worth keeping in mind and setting some time aside to collect materials to make some more.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
When a character is unavailable for a scene, like we have with the four people who are asleep during the early hour shipwreck exploration, I am all for having people take on the secondary role of NPC crew, part of the reason I wanted to emphasize the recruitment of NPCs and the like. I like troupe style play. This is completely opt-in: I just don't want anyone to feel like they have nothing to do for a sequence. Even if there's not a NPC available, hit me up and we may do a flashback scene or the like. Or enjoy the break from posting!

Tricky is going to take on Urszula for this scene. Nax is available if anyone wants to control him. I'll provide little combat sheets if/when it comes down to that as appropriate.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Just to clarify, after we strike camp and split up, our plan is to reconvene at the spiders to get Quill's thing back and follow the stream up into the heart of the island, right?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DeathSandwich posted:

Just to clarify, after we strike camp and split up, our plan is to reconvene at the spiders to get Quill's thing back and follow the stream up into the heart of the island, right?

As I understand it from reading on discord and the thread, the plan is more or less after exploring the shipwrecks, people have decided to split between exploring the tunnels with the spiders, and the tunnels near the camp. Then they were to reconvene, and then go upriver, though it's not been decided whether that would be on the dinghy, or by foot.

From the spreadsheet:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I gained a hell of a lot of stuff multiclassing into Ranger, so I'm dumping it here rather than attaching a giant list to my post.

quote:

Ranka hits level 2 and takes her first of three levels of ranger!

>Ranger 1
  • 6 base +1 con hp gained
  • Prof with light/medium armor, shields, simple/martial weapons, and one skill (Perception)

> Favored Enemy (Humanoids)
  • +2 damage to weapon attacks vs Humanoids.
  • Advantage on Survival checks to track Humanoids or Intelligence checks to recall information about them.
  • Gain a language. Taking Deep Speech in this case to further my Murder Them All promise with Nax. Given it's not a spoken language, I have Ranka not really aware that she knows it for now as it's a "blessing" from the Sea.

> Natural Explorer:
  • Ignore Difficult Terrain
  • Advantage on initiative rolls
  • On my first turn of combat I have advatnage on attack rolls against creatures that haven't acted (Anyone who rolled lower than me regardless of ebb/flood status for us.)

Group Stuff
  • Difficult terrain doesn't slow your group's travel
  • Your group can't become lost except by magical means
  • Even when you are engaged in another activity while travelling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), you remain alert to danger.
  • While traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace
  • When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.
  • While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Did some level up edits. Grabbed Burning Hex and Devil's Sight as invocations and learned Comprehend Languages

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
When I next get a chance to update i"ll be moving thing along. This is what I currently have as far as votes for whether to stay or leave go.

Counting only our "officers" here.

Leave: Rust, Secca, Lucielle, Mazhar

Stay: Ranka, Johann

Abstain/Undecided: Jan'ti, Quill, Dermid

As far as NPCs go, Nax agrees with Ranka about staying and thinks it would be foolish to follow the same paths as the crusaders, while Urszula is interested in whatever goes further inland, though is a bit disappointed no one else but her seems interested in the idea of the treasure. Desider doesn't volunteer his thoughts, saying that its not his decision but he's interested in what decision is made. Vett will side with Johann if asked, thinking (since no one has contradicted him otherwise) that the revenant is the captain, though beyond just sucking up to authority, he also from the conversation with Quill was under the impression that they were going to be battering down the hatches so will be confused by the change of direction. If it ends up a tie, it will go towards staying since overall the NPCs seem to prefer that, though only by a hair.

I'm going to assume people are gonna plan on moving up inland with the way the votes have landed assuming nobody makes an impassioned plea to stay. With that being the case, you need to tell me how you plan on transporting your things, what kind of camp you intend to set up once you find a place to land at, and what you ultimately decide to leave behind. It's not an insignificant amount.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I've only got like an hour and a half tonight that I can dedicate to the in-character chat in discord, I'm off work here in about an hour and twenty and you'll have me from then until about 5:30 CST.

I do also kind of want to set aside/start an in character chat with Jan'Ti hopefully before the next setpiece starts in earnest here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is the third night of my bathroom spitting up sewage from the overflow drain, and thus it's reached a critical point where me and my roommate are trying to move out of our rental ASAP. I hope to continue to be active, ironically will be best able to do that on my work days, but in the meantime I'll be at half capacity at best. Apologies!

• Locked thread