Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Lucielle tirAlness, the Cursed Noble-Turned-Rogue

Let me ask you something; what would you do if you've had everything taken away from you? What would you do if you were forced to live a life of almost unending hardship? What if you were betrayed by those who you thought you could once trust? What if you were branded with the Reaper's Curse that meant you would bring nothing but ruin and misfortune to everything around you? Would you curse the fate life has given you, or would you lie down, and accept it?

I'll tell you what I would do; I'd fight. I'd fight, tooth and nail, against my own grim fate, and I wouldn't stop fighting, not until my very dying breath. The only one who's allowed to determine my own fate is me, and no-one else.

My name is Lucielle Valentine. Yes, that Lucielle; the exiled daughter of tirAlness. The Reaper's Curse, you see, is not a light one; to have it means the Reaper stalks you wherever you go, promising a bad fate to you and all those around you, and when my family saw my mark, they were fearful of what my curse would bring to them, so I was cast away without a second thought. The only person who was against it was my mother, but the rest didn't agree with her.

I was 15 when it all happened. I was a scared, confused girl who didn't understand why she was abandoned so easily. I kept wondering, "What did I ever do to deserve all this? Wasn't I a part of them?" And from there, things only got harder for me. I thought I would die, alone, in the streets, until I was saved by one man. His name was Vashyrn, the man who gave me a new home. He was aware of my curse, but that didn't matter to him. He took me in, and took care of me. He taught me how to fight, how to survive, and, more importantly, how to take fate into your own hands.

Then, one day, a year ago, he just... disappeared. He said he had something urgent to attend to, but he never returned. I couldn't just sit down and do nothing, so I decided, then and there, to set out, and find the man who I owe everything to, Reaper's Curse be damned! I will fight through as many misfortunes as I have to, I won't let the reaper win against me! I'll carve my own path forward, and make my own fate!

...That said, fighting against your own fate, as it turns out, is not that easy. Through a series of (very) unfortunate events, I found myself on the DNS Ceaseless. Even after the mutiny, it seemed as if the Reaper enjoyed piling on more misfortunes upon us. Still, even after all the chaos that happened, they have still not managed to take my life. I, and the others with me, still live. Where fate will take me after, I do not know, but what I do know is that I will find my mentor, and I will win against this curse of mine.

quote:

Name: Lucielle tirAlness Valentine
Race: Human Variant
Class: Rogue (Swashbuckler)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Criminal (Lucielle got involved in, let's say, less than legal activities in her search for her mentor.)
Culture: Heathish
Languages: Common, Vendalic, Heathish

Hit Points: 1d8+2
Initiative: +3
AC: 14
Speed: 30 ft
Passive Perception: 12
Passive Investigation: 10

Attributes
Strength: 12
Dexterity: 16 (15 + 1 Racial)
Constitution: 14 (13 + 1 Racial)
Intelligence: 11
Wisdom: 14 (13 + 1 feat +1)
Charisma: 14

Skills
Acrobatics: +7 (+2 from Expertise)
Animal Handling: +2
Arcana: +0
Athletics: +5 (+2 from Expertise)
Deception: +4
History: +2
Insight: +4
Intimidation: +2
Investigation: +0
Medicine: +2
Nature: +0
Perception: +2
Performance: +2
Persuasion: +4
Religion: +0
Sleight of Hand: +5
Stealth: +5
Survival: +2

Features
Expertise [Class]: At 1st level, choose two of your skill proficiencies, or one of your skill proficiencies and your proficiency with thieves’ tools. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen
proficiencies. At 6th level, you can choose two more of your proficiencies (in skills or with thieves’ tools) to gain this benefit.
Sneak Attack [Class]: Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe's distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an Attack if you have advantage on the Attack roll. The Attack must use a Finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the Attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't Incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the Attack roll. The amount of the extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Sneak Attack column of the Rogue table.
Thieve's Cant [Class]: During your rogue Training you learned thieves' cant, a secret mix of dialect, jargon, and code that allows you to hide messages in seemingly normal conversation. Only another creature that knows thieves' cant understands such messages. It takes four times longer to convey such a Message than it does to speak the same idea plainly. In addition, you understand a set of secret signs and symbols used to convey short, simple messages, such as whether an area is dangerous or the territory of a thieves' guild, whether loot is nearby, or whether the people in an area are easy marks or will provide a safe house for thieves on the run.
Criminal Contact [Background]: You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.
Defensive Duelist [Feat]: When you are wielding a finesse weapon with which you are proficient and another creature hits you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to add your proficiency bonus to your AC for that attack, potentially causing the attack to miss you.
Empathetic [Feat]: You possess keen insight into how other people think and feel. You gain the following benefits: Increase your Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20. You gain proficiency in the Insight skill. If you are already proficient in the skill, you add double your proficiency bonus to checks you make with it. You can use your action to try to get uncanny insight about one humanoid you can see within 30 feet of you. Make a Wisdom (Insight) check contested by the target's Charisma (Deception) check. If your check succeeds, you have advantage on attack rolls and ability checks against the target until the end of your next turn.

Armor Proficiency: Light Armor
Weapon Proficiency: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Tools: Thieve's Tools, Weaver's Tools
Equipment:

Defining Traits:
Personality: Death is the last thing I fear. It doesn't matter how high the risk are, I will continue charging forward.
Ideals: Freedom. I will not be shackled by my others, or my own fate, and I will not accept those who try to control others.
Bonds: My mother is suffering because of me. The rest of my family look at her with scorn, and I hope to one day make up for all the trouble I've caused her somehow.
Flaw: If there’s a plan, I’ll forget it. If I don’t forget it, I’ll ignore it. I prefer to strike while the moment is still hot, and not wait around planning all day long.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

What are the specific instances, rather than broad strokes, of your life that yourself or others have attributed to the Curse?

The one instance that's been burned into my memory happened a bit before my mentor's disappearance. We were sailing to Be’el de Marr to do some business with the dwarves there, but on our way, we were attacked by another pirate crew that seemed to have a personal grudge against my mentor, and while we were fighting them off, we were hit by a terrible, raging storm out of nowhere. We fought them off, and survived the storm, but barely. Most of our crew were injured heavily, and our ship took heavy damage, and to make things even worse, we lost all our supplies during the whole ordeal. Our food, water, medicine. Everything. We were forced to make our way to our destination with a ship that would sink at any moment, with an injured, starving crew.

The people on board, as you've probably guessed by now, weren't exactly happy with our situation. They were looking for someone to blame, so they turned to me. They knew about my curse, so they pointed their fingers at me, and claimed that all the misfortunes we suffered were my fault, and they were about ready to throw me off the ship. If it wasn't for my mentor stepping in to defend me, I'm not sure if I'd still be here. He told them that there was no point in throwing blame around now, and that what matters is that we survive this, and survived we did. With my mentor leading the crew now, we managed to get to our location with minimal losses, but even so, even with his guidance, the crew still kept looking at me with disdain in their eyes.

Other than that, hm. There are a few, smaller instances. I've never won a single game of chance in my life. If I'm rolling dice, I always get the lowest numbers, if I'm playing cards, my hand is always terrible. One time I had a hand filled with Jokers. I didn't even think that was possible! Either the Reaper has a sick sense of humor, or I just have terrible luck when it comes to these kinds of things.

quote:

Do you find yourself a believer or skeptic in its puissance? Have you ever gazed upon the Reaper, in waking or dream?

...I do not know. On some days, I believe in it, and in others, I find myself doubting it. They say all those inflicted by the Reaper's Curse are doomed to suffer a terrible fate, and yet, after living with the curse for years now, that fate has not come to me yet. I've come close, many times, but I've managed to avoid it every time. If it's as powerful as they say, then how has it not taken me by now?

...But whenever I become skeptical of it, that's when they appear. Sometimes, when I dream, I see them. The Reaper. A dark, cloud of mist, gazing at me with eyes the color of blood. Looking at them is almost as if looking into darkness itself. They do not move, or speak. The only thing they do is stand, and stare silently at me, as if to remind me that they are still there. That they will be coming for me soon. The Reaper doesn't appear often in my dreams, but when they do, it... is beyond terrifying.

quote:

Were you anywhere near the line of succession in the House of Alness? Or were you simply a spare or marriage prospect, easy to discard? What was the stake of your inheritance and your noble line? What did they have to risk by keeping you?

It's... complicated. From the moment I was born, my entire life was decided for me; I was to be wed to another noble house, and in doing so, it would help strengthen our family's influence and power, and, of course, I didn't have any say in the matter. Most of my childhood was spent learning how to be a "proper" lady and wife, and, if I am to be frank, I hated it. I remember longing for the days when I could be free from all the responsibilities that have been thrust on me, free to run wild, and to make my own choices. That day did come, but... well, not how I expected it to.

To my family, our reputation is everything, and could you imagine the damage it would do to us if others had discovered that they were housing a child with a terrible curse? No-one would want to deal with us, and our standings with the other noble houses would be damaged beyond repair, so instead of dealing with the problem, why not toss it away, like a piece of unwanted garbage? That's right; I was thrown away because their reputation was more important than my own feelings. Even my own father agreed to it. As I said before, the only one who spoke up about it was my mother, but they did not listen to her.

Of course, now that I am no longer involved with my family, all the responsibilities I had once were all thrust upon my little sister, Anelise. My previous role has been now shifted to her, and it... it worries me. Anelise is a gentle soul, and she and my mother were the only ones who truly cared about me, and I'm not sure if she's ready to handle what they are about to put her through.

quote:

What is the only remaining connection you have left of Vashryn? What is the shape of your feelings for your mentor: filial, romantic, or elsewise? Do you think it's possible that he, too, abandoned you?

I do have one thing; his compass. He called it his lucky compass, and he gave it to me as a gift for my 18th birthday, claiming it would "bring me luck wherever I go." I do not know if I believe him on that, but I did appreciate the gesture, and it's one of the few remaining connections I have of him.

And please, my feelings towards him are strictly filial. The man is 30 years older than me, for goodness sake! He's old enough to be my father! And no, I do not believe he abandoned me. If he did, then he is not the man I thought he was if that was the case. My mentor is not the type of person who would abandon someone on a whim, and for as long as I've known him, he's always protected me, took care of me, treated me like his own child, and I refuse to believe that he would just leave me after the years we spent together.

...But on the small chance that there isn't, on the chance that he did decide to abandon me, then...

...No, I'd rather not think about it. He would never do anything as cruel as that. There has to be a reason for his disappearance, and I will find out what it is! I'll search for as long as it takes to discover the truth!

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Lucy will

- Take the one of the Sabers, as well as a backpack, and bedroll. She already has a waterskin from Quill, so that's covered.
- Help Jan'ti and Mazhar forage for food/water.
- Lucy is fine going for either First Watch or Last Watch.
- Lucy will take second rank. She's a fighter, but she's not as hardy as some of the other PCs in the group, and she doesn't have much in the way of perception.
- Lucy will also make a note that she gets first dibs on whatever comb they might find. Gotta make sure she takes care of that long hair of hers. :v:

• Locked thread